* Re: Making Emacs popular again with a video
@ 2020-05-14 17:11 ndame
From: ndame @ 2020-05-14 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

> There are certainly some things Emacs still does better with respect to editing, like editing of binary data or even ascii art etc.

Don't forget that vscode has tons of extensions, people jumped at the opportunity to extend the editor with an easy to use and familiar scripting language (js).

So they can edit hex: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/stef-levesque/vscode-hexdump/master/images/hover-dataview.png

And ascii art: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Canna71/vscode-figlet/master/figlet.gif

Vscode has a powerful display engine and a widely used scripting language which is a winning combination. Emacs could close the gap somewhat if it used some existing graphics display engine, instead of reimplementing everything, because Vscode and other tools which use common graphics toolkits get every development for free and can concentrate on developing the editor instead.

> VS Code is probably a good example. While I still prefer Emacs, if I'm really honest, from a purely editing perspective, VS Code is as good and feature rich. Where it fails is in the ease of extensibility and ability to customize to fit how I like to work - with VS Code, I need to adjust more to how VS Code wants to work, but when it comes to just writing source code, they are both pretty equivalent.

Yes, the only thing vscode doesn't have is rapid prototyping, extending the environment quickly. Writing an extension for it is much more cumbersome (no built-in docs for the api either, you have to browse the web for that), but most users don't write extensions anyway, they just want to use existing ones, so this doesn't concern them.

* Re: Making Emacs popular again with a video
@ 2020-05-08 10:58 ndame
From: ndame @ 2020-05-08 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

> > I think people nowadays need an out-of-the-box experience, that's why
> > promoting doom-emacs or spacemacs might be better than the default
> > Emacs.

> This is valuable input, I think.

Someone else too made a similar proposal in a reddit comment:

begin quote:

IMO the very first thing a use should be greeted with is a dialog box that says something along the lines of

"Hey, welcome to Emacs! Emacs is a very old editor with a ton of legacy we'd like to preserve.
If you want a more modern experience, you can try these community-made configs instead:

* Spacemacs [Install]: The best editor is neither Emacs nor Vim, it's Emacs and Vim!
* Centaur Emacs [Install]: A Fancy and Fast Emacs Configuration
* Doom Emacs [Install]: An Emacs configuration for the stubborn martian vimmer
* CUA mode [Enable]: Use keybinds commonly found in other modern editors

[No thanks, II'd like to cook my own config]"

It'd be a very simple change but an immense improvement to the new user experience.

end quote

Would it be acceptable to recommend popular startup packages on the splash screen if the user has an active network connection?  I guess in that case it's not a problem if it's not bundled with emacs, since emacs can install it from the net by adding melpa to the package list automatically.

* Making Emacs popular again with a video
@ 2020-05-08  8:26 Nathan Colinet
From: Nathan Colinet @ 2020-05-08  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello,

I read on the mailing list that you're looking for a way to make Emacs
popular again. I thought I could share my idea.

I started using emacs a year ago and when I started everything was
really confusing, what is a frame, what is a buffer, how to install
packages, what are major and minor modes, etc.. I wanted to give up but
then I saw a 1 hour talk about Emacs that shows how powerful it is. Then
I was hooked. Unfortunately the sound was no good at all and it was way
too long. I think it could be really benefic for emacs to have a 5-10
minutes video that would present Emacs not as an old obscure porgram but
as an amazing fresh looking tool that drastically improves efficiency. I
think people nowadays need an out-of-the-box experience, that's why
promoting doom-emacs or spacemacs might be better than the default Emacs.

I think if the video is well realised it could really be a huge win.

Stay safe and well,

Nathan Colinet