unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Formalizing teams
@ 2021-12-22 15:46 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2021-12-22 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Hello Guix!

I’ve been looking at our guix-patches backlog, at the great
contributions we get but that stick there for too long, certainly
discouraging people, and also at non-code initiatives (meetups, Guix
Days, Outreachy, documentation, etc.) that we as a project could often
support and encourage better, wondering how we could improve.

I’ve been inspired by how the Rust folks approach these issues, in
particular as described here:

  https://blog.m-ou.se/rust-is-not-a-company/

  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1t4zGJYUuY
    (RacketCon 2019 talk by Aaron Turon)

One idea that I like is to bring structure to the group, or rather to
make structure visible, so that newcomers know who they can talk to to
get started on a topic, know who to ping for reviews, and so that each
one of us can see where they fit.  Rust has well-defined teams:

  https://www.rust-lang.org/governance

Guix is nowhere near the size of the Rust community (yet!), but I can
already picture teams and members:

  co-maintainers (“core team”)
  community
  infrastructure
  internationalization
  security response
  release
  Rust packaging
  R packaging
  Java packaging

In Rust, teams are responsible for overseeing discussions and changes in
their area, but also ultimately for making decisions.  I think that’s
pretty much the case with the informal teams that exist today in Guix,
but that responsibility could be made more explicit here.  They
distinguish teams from “working groups”, where working groups work on
actually implementing what the team decided.

How about starting with a web page listing these teams, their work,
their members, and ways to contact them?  Teams would be the primary
contact point and for things that fall into their area and would be
responsible for channeling proposals and advancing issues in their area.

What do people think?

Aaron Turon nicely explains that at first sight it has a bureaucratic
feel to it, but that in practice it does help a lot in many ways, from
onboarding to channeling change without losing consistency.

Ludo’.

* Re: Formalizing teams
@ 2021-12-23 15:13 Blake Shaw
From: Blake Shaw @ 2021-12-23 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix Devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> One idea that I like is to bring structure to the group, or rather to
> make structure visible, so that newcomers know who they can talk to to
> get started on a topic, know who to ping for reviews, and so that each
> one of us can see where they fit.  Rust has well-defined teams:
>
>   https://www.rust-lang.org/governance

Definitely! Perhaps this an aesthetic matter, but keeping-with the
community spirit of Guix, and the existing nomenclature where the
'core' maintainers are called a "collective", perhaps we should avoid
some of the more corporate "team" language of Rust/Mozilla and stick to
"collectives"?
> In Rust, teams are responsible for overseeing discussions and changes in
> their area, but also ultimately for making decisions.  I think that’s
> pretty much the case with the informal teams that exist today in Guix,
> but that responsibility could be made more explicit here.  They
> distinguish teams from “working groups”, where working groups work on
> actually implementing what the team decided.
>
> How about starting with a web page listing these teams, their work,
> their members, and ways to contact them?  Teams would be the primary
> contact point and for things that fall into their area and would be
> responsible for channeling proposals and advancing issues in their area.
>
> What do people think?

I think it sounds great. The question remains what is the medium-space
where through which the teams interact? How do we prevent teams from
becoming silo'd off from one another? Do we have an "assembly" or an
"assembler"?

Should this become a matter for Guix Days?

--
“In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni”