On Wed, 22 Dec 2021, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > Hello Guix! > > I’ve been looking at our guix-patches backlog, at the great > contributions we get but that stick there for too long, certainly > discouraging people, and also at non-code initiatives (meetups, Guix > Days, Outreachy, documentation, etc.) that we as a project could often > support and encourage better, wondering how we could improve. > > I’ve been inspired by how the Rust folks approach these issues, in > particular as described here: > > https://blog.m-ou.se/rust-is-not-a-company/ > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1t4zGJYUuY > (RacketCon 2019 talk by Aaron Turon) > > One idea that I like is to bring structure to the group, or rather to > make structure visible, so that newcomers know who they can talk to to > get started on a topic, know who to ping for reviews, and so that each > one of us can see where they fit. Rust has well-defined teams: > > https://www.rust-lang.org/governance > > Guix is nowhere near the size of the Rust community (yet!), but I can > already picture teams and members: > > co-maintainers (“core team”) > community > infrastructure > internationalization > security response > release > Rust packaging > R packaging > Java packaging > > In Rust, teams are responsible for overseeing discussions and changes in > their area, but also ultimately for making decisions. I think that’s > pretty much the case with the informal teams that exist today in Guix, > but that responsibility could be made more explicit here. They > distinguish teams from “working groups”, where working groups work on > actually implementing what the team decided. > > How about starting with a web page listing these teams, their work, > their members, and ways to contact them? Teams would be the primary > contact point and for things that fall into their area and would be > responsible for channeling proposals and advancing issues in their area. > > What do people think? > > Aaron Turon nicely explains that at first sight it has a bureaucratic > feel to it, but that in practice it does help a lot in many ways, from > onboarding to channeling change without losing consistency. > > Ludo’. +1 from me. I think that it is natural that as we grow (yay!) we'll need a little bit more structure. It would be wise to not overdo it and create too many teams to start with, but I have nevertheless brainstormed some additional teams: * Documentation/Communication/Cookbook Recipes * Desktop Environments Best, Jack