all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [outreachy] Further steps
@ 2018-10-24  1:48 Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-10-24  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel; +Cc: Ricardo Wurmus

Hi all!

I'm really happy that the patch worked :)

Tomorrow -yet Tuesday here, I live in the past :P - I will close the
in progress contribution.

If you don't mind, I have some questions and need some feedback to go on.

- As regards patches, for future ones:

1)Why my patch file (the one I sent) does not work applying it with
git am in my local cloned repo? Do I need to create a new branch or
something like that?
2)Where can I read about how to set an appropriate commit log? (not
running just git log to see how they were generated before)
3) I added an eol with emacs editor, just as you mentioned. Could you
send me your previous output about the error you were getting about
that line break, if you still have it?
4) I guess you already answered this one, but Is it ok to send patches
attached to an email or is it strict to send them with git send-email
when getting much more involved?

In the thread of mails, I have already asked you, but I would like to
know how to continue from now on:

I would like to go on contributing as much as possible up to November
6th (the deadline for applying for Outreachy).
1) Is it fine to go on packaging R packages that are not available
yet, now that I know how to import them, modify them and the whole
process?
2) Do you prefer another tasks to be done?

- I would like to contribute even after November 6th since I like the
project really much and the community made me feel really comfortable,
that's why I kept saying thank you almost all the time.

Maybe after the deadline for applying for Outreachy, I could be
participating - just some ideas that came into my mind:
1) reading all the documentation even more carefully, and learning
even more about guix commands.
2) Getting much more involved with all the suggested tools that you
use - I used vim in the past, for instance, so I'm learning emacs
commands - and  I am  also learning new git commands, such as the ones
that I had to use for the patches - or even install another hypervisor
that is not VirtualBox. I played a little with KVM in the past, for
example.
3) Go on playing with my VM with GuixSD.
4) Write my daily journal in gitlab, in the format you suggested -
that I also have to learn.
5) Start learning about the stack I need to know for user
documentation - yes, I like documenting as much as coding -, since
sometimes I do not know which stack contains only free software.
don't know, there are always many things to go on learning, and I will
not have the pressure by then to have contributions to be done for
Outreachy . And of course this are some ideas, so that's why I am
asking you for suggestions, and what do you think about them.

Best regards!
Laura

* Re: [outreachy] Further steps
@ 2018-10-24  5:16 ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2018-10-24  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 22:48:30 -0300
Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I'm really happy that the patch worked :)
>
> Tomorrow -yet Tuesday here, I live in the past :P - I will close the
> in progress contribution.
>
> If you don't mind, I have some questions and need some feedback to go
> on.
>
> - As regards patches, for future ones:
>
> 1)Why my patch file (the one I sent) does not work applying it with
> git am in my local cloned repo? Do I need to create a new branch or
> something like that?

I think that was the problem. Here I already applied your patch and it
fails (On line 9 already because of the copyright header):

~/guix/wt/kde$ git log -1 | cat; git am ~/0001-gnu-Add-r-aspi.patch
commit c3ff36b4aa08caa8131b65a14caa03161b71e564
Author: Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com>
Date:   Tue Oct 23 01:59:22 2018 -0300

    gnu: Add r-aspi.

    * gnu/packages/cran.scm (r-aspi): New variable.
Applying: gnu: Add r-aspi.
error: patch failed: gnu/packages/cran.scm:9
error: gnu/packages/cran.scm: patch does not apply
Patch failed at 0001 gnu: Add r-aspi.
hint: Use 'git am --show-current-patch' to see the failed patch
When you have resolved this problem, run "git am --continue".
If you prefer to skip this patch, run "git am --skip" instead.
To restore the original branch and stop patching, run "git am --abort".

My workflow usually is to get the lastest master and then to create and
work on a branch for that, for example "wip-r-aspi". Then I can create
another branch "wip-r-aspi2" and go  again from there. Usually I have
too many of those branches and have to clean up from time to tome.

> 2)Where can I read about how to set an appropriate commit log? (not
> running just git log to see how they were generated before)

That's a bit hidden, but documented: In section "7.5 Submitting
Patches" there is a link to the GNU Coding Standards:

https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Change-Logs.html#Change-Logs

> 3) I added an eol with emacs editor, just as you mentioned. Could you
> send me your previous output about the error you were getting about
> that line break, if you still have it?

I haven't looked into that broken patch. Gabor?

> 4) I guess you already answered this one, but Is it ok to send patches
> attached to an email or is it strict to send them with git send-email
> when getting much more involved?

It's OK. I think it comes more convenient when you have a long series
of patches, i.e. you add one package one its 20 dependencies, then you
get a series Patch[1/21]..., see the patch-tracker for examples. But
there are also some examples of people sending patches as attachments.

> In the thread of mails, I have already asked you, but I would like to
> know how to continue from now on:
>
> I would like to go on contributing as much as possible up to November
> 6th (the deadline for applying for Outreachy).
> 1) Is it fine to go on packaging R packages that are not available
> yet, now that I know how to import them, modify them and the whole
> process?
> 2) Do you prefer another tasks to be done?

I would say that R-packages is fine. Gabor do you see any specific
other tasks?

If you have any other favourite packages, you can give them also a try.
It could just get more difficult, with more manual steps, other build
systems, dependencies to be packed first, code to be patched, etc.

> - I would like to contribute even after November 6th since I like the
> project really much and the community made me feel really comfortable,
> that's why I kept saying thank you almost all the time.

Of cause. Nice to hear.

> Maybe after the deadline for applying for Outreachy, I could be
> participating - just some ideas that came into my mind:
> 1) reading all the documentation even more carefully, and learning
> even more about guix commands.
> 2) Getting much more involved with all the suggested tools that you
> use - I used vim in the past, for instance, so I'm learning emacs
> commands - and  I am  also learning new git commands, such as the ones
> that I had to use for the patches - or even install another hypervisor
> that is not VirtualBox. I played a little with KVM in the past, for
> example.
> 3) Go on playing with my VM with GuixSD.

If you have guix on top of another distro on your real hardware: You
can just install qemu with guix. And you can try

guix system vm-image my-system-configuration.scm

That produces a QEMU image. Copy it out of your store into your home
directory, then it is read/write. and start it.

> don't know, there are always many things to go on learning, and I will
> not have the pressure by then to have contributions to be done for
> Outreachy . And of course this are some ideas, so that's why I am
> asking you for suggestions, and what do you think about them.

Looking at Outreachy, you could try out all things with generations:

 * guix package
 * guix pull
 * guix system

See how they behave, how you can roll back, delete old generations,
garbage collect.

You can also get more into environment and containers:

guix environment, with "-C" or "--pure", with network "-N" or
"--shared" folders.

There is plenty of magic to be explored in Guix :-)

Björn

* Re: [outreachy] Further steps
@ 2018-10-24  7:00   ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-24  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: Guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

Hello Laura,

Congratulations!

Björn Höfling <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de> ezt írta (időpont:
2018. okt. 24., Sze, 7:17):

> On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 22:48:30 -0300
> Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I'm really happy that the patch worked :)
> >
> > Tomorrow -yet Tuesday here, I live in the past :P - I will close the
> > in progress contribution.
> >
> > If you don't mind, I have some questions and need some feedback to go
> > on.
> >
> > - As regards patches, for future ones:
> >
> > 1)Why my patch file (the one I sent) does not work applying it with
> > git am in my local cloned repo? Do I need to create a new branch or
> > something like that?

The last version you sent worked just fine for me. I could use git am
without a problem. (I downloaded the attachment, and used git am on
that)
I used the current master, created a branch, then used git am to apply
your patch. (I create a branch so that I don't touch master in my checkout,
it should work without it)

How was it failing for you?

> I think that was the problem. Here I already applied your patch and it
> fails (On line 9 already because of the copyright header):
>
> ~/guix/wt/kde$ git log -1 | cat; git am ~/0001-gnu-Add-r-aspi.patch
> commit c3ff36b4aa08caa8131b65a14caa03161b71e564
> Author: Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com>
> Date:   Tue Oct 23 01:59:22 2018 -0300
>
>     gnu: Add r-aspi.
>
>     * gnu/packages/cran.scm (r-aspi): New variable.
> Applying: gnu: Add r-aspi.
> error: patch failed: gnu/packages/cran.scm:9
> error: gnu/packages/cran.scm: patch does not apply
> Patch failed at 0001 gnu: Add r-aspi.
> hint: Use 'git am --show-current-patch' to see the failed patch
> When you have resolved this problem, run "git am --continue".
> If you prefer to skip this patch, run "git am --skip" instead.
> To restore the original branch and stop patching, run "git am --abort".
>
> My workflow usually is to get the lastest master and then to create and
> work on a branch for that, for example "wip-r-aspi". Then I can create
> another branch "wip-r-aspi2" and go  again from there. Usually I have
> too many of those branches and have to clean up from time to tome.

Yes, the workflow Björn described works for me as well :)
I git you often have a lot of branches, as they are cheap,
and help to organize work. I also have to clean them up from time
to time. I also tend to have throwaway branches,  where I just experiment.

> > 2)Where can I read about how to set an appropriate commit log? (not
> > running just git log to see how they were generated before)
>
> That's a bit hidden, but documented: In section "7.5 Submitting
> Patches" there is a link to the GNU Coding Standards:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Change-Logs.html#Change-Logs
>

> > 3) I added an eol with emacs editor, just as you mentioned. Could you
> > send me your previous output about the error you were getting about
> > that line break, if you still have it?
>
> I haven't looked into that broken patch. Gabor?

As we have those messages, you can have a look at the output yourself, just
try to apply the inline patch from the mail. (You can download in mbox format
from the debbugs interface)

You will see an output similar to what Björn quoted above, except it will say:
'Corrupt patch at line 10' instead of 'patch does not apply'

> > 4) I guess you already answered this one, but Is it ok to send patches
> > attached to an email or is it strict to send them with git send-email
> > when getting much more involved?
>
> It's OK. I think it comes more convenient when you have a long series
> of patches, i.e. you add one package one its 20 dependencies, then you
> get a series Patch[1/21]..., see the patch-tracker for examples. But
> there are also some examples of people sending patches as attachments.

Yes, Björn is right here, it is easier to handle longer series with
git send-email,
but it is perfectly ok to send patches as attachments.

> > In the thread of mails, I have already asked you, but I would like to
> > know how to continue from now on:
> >
> > I would like to go on contributing as much as possible up to November
> > 6th (the deadline for applying for Outreachy).
> > 1) Is it fine to go on packaging R packages that are not available
> > yet, now that I know how to import them, modify them and the whole
> > process?
> > 2) Do you prefer another tasks to be done?
>
> I would say that R-packages is fine. Gabor do you see any specific
> other tasks?

R-packages are fine for now.

> If you have any other favourite packages, you can give them also a try.
> It could just get more difficult, with more manual steps, other build
> systems, dependencies to be packed first, code to be patched, etc.

Yes, this would also be good. Please tell us if you have any specific package
in mind.

> > - I would like to contribute even after November 6th since I like the
> > project really much and the community made me feel really comfortable,
> > that's why I kept saying thank you almost all the time.
>
> Of cause. Nice to hear.

Yes, nice to hear.

> > Maybe after the deadline for applying for Outreachy, I could be
> > participating - just some ideas that came into my mind:
> > 1) reading all the documentation even more carefully, and learning
> > even more about guix commands.
> > 2) Getting much more involved with all the suggested tools that you
> > use - I used vim in the past, for instance, so I'm learning emacs
> > commands - and  I am  also learning new git commands, such as the ones
> > that I had to use for the patches - or even install another hypervisor
> > that is not VirtualBox. I played a little with KVM in the past, for
> > example.
> > 3) Go on playing with my VM with GuixSD.
>
> If you have guix on top of another distro on your real hardware: You
> can just install qemu with guix. And you can try
>
> guix system vm-image my-system-configuration.scm
>
> That produces a QEMU image. Copy it out of your store into your home
> directory, then it is read/write. and start it.

You can also try guix system vm, but that way the image is not writeable.

> > don't know, there are always many things to go on learning, and I will
> > not have the pressure by then to have contributions to be done for
> > Outreachy . And of course this are some ideas, so that's why I am
> > asking you for suggestions, and what do you think about them.
>

> Looking at Outreachy, you could try out all things with generations:
>
>  * guix package
>  * guix pull
>  * guix system
>
> See how they behave, how you can roll back, delete old generations,
> garbage collect.
>
> You can also get more into environment and containers:
>
> guix environment, with "-C" or "--pure", with network "-N" or
> "--shared" folders.
>
> There is plenty of magic to be explored in Guix :-)
>
> Björn

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: [outreachy] Further steps
@ 2018-10-24 22:16     ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-10-24 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 4:01 AM Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Laura,
>
> Congratulations!
>
> Björn Höfling <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de> ezt írta (időpont:
> 2018. okt. 24., Sze, 7:17):
> >
> > On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 22:48:30 -0300
> > Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all!
> > >
> > > I'm really happy that the patch worked :)
> > >
> > > Tomorrow -yet Tuesday here, I live in the past :P - I will close the
> > > in progress contribution.
> > >
> > > If you don't mind, I have some questions and need some feedback to go
> > > on.
> > >
> > > - As regards patches, for future ones:
> > >
> > > 1)Why my patch file (the one I sent) does not work applying it with
> > > git am in my local cloned repo? Do I need to create a new branch or
> > > something like that?
> >

> The last version you sent worked just fine for me. I could use git am
> without a problem. (I downloaded the attachment, and used git am on
> that)
> I used the current master, created a branch, then used git am to apply
> your patch. (I create a branch so that I don't touch master in my checkout,
> it should work without it)
>
> How was it failing for you?
I guess it was failing because of not branching. I pulled master,
branched, reset to a previous commit on the branch and am worked fine.

> > I think that was the problem. Here I already applied your patch and it
> > fails (On line 9 already because of the copyright header):
> >
> > ~/guix/wt/kde$ git log -1 | cat; git am ~/0001-gnu-Add-r-aspi.patch
> > commit c3ff36b4aa08caa8131b65a14caa03161b71e564
> > Author: Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com>
> > Date:   Tue Oct 23 01:59:22 2018 -0300
> >
> >     gnu: Add r-aspi.
> >
> >     * gnu/packages/cran.scm (r-aspi): New variable.
> > Applying: gnu: Add r-aspi.
> > error: patch failed: gnu/packages/cran.scm:9
> > error: gnu/packages/cran.scm: patch does not apply
> > Patch failed at 0001 gnu: Add r-aspi.
> > hint: Use 'git am --show-current-patch' to see the failed patch
> > When you have resolved this problem, run "git am --continue".
> > If you prefer to skip this patch, run "git am --skip" instead.
> > To restore the original branch and stop patching, run "git am --abort".
Yes, I was getting that error too.

> > My workflow usually is to get the lastest master and then to create and
> > work on a branch for that, for example "wip-r-aspi". Then I can create
> > another branch "wip-r-aspi2" and go  again from there. Usually I have
> > too many of those branches and have to clean up from time to tome.
> >

> Yes, the workflow Björn described works for me as well :)
> I git you often have a lot of branches, as they are cheap,
> and help to organize work. I also have to clean them up from time
> to time. I also tend to have throwaway branches,  where I just experiment.

Great! I will apply it too :)

> > > 2)Where can I read about how to set an appropriate commit log? (not
> > > running just git log to see how they were generated before)
> >
> > That's a bit hidden, but documented: In section "7.5 Submitting
> > Patches" there is a link to the GNU Coding Standards:
> >
> > https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Change-Logs.html#Change-Logs
> >

> > > 3) I added an eol with emacs editor, just as you mentioned. Could you
> > > send me your previous output about the error you were getting about
> > > that line break, if you still have it?
> >
> > I haven't looked into that broken patch. Gabor?
> >

> As we have those messages, you can have a look at the output yourself, just
> try to apply the inline patch from the mail. (You can download in mbox format
> from the debbugs interface)
>
> You will see an output similar to what Björn quoted above, except it will say:
> 'Corrupt patch at line 10' instead of 'patch does not apply'
>
> > > 4) I guess you already answered this one, but Is it ok to send patches
> > > attached to an email or is it strict to send them with git send-email
> > > when getting much more involved?
> >
> > It's OK. I think it comes more convenient when you have a long series
> > of patches, i.e. you add one package one its 20 dependencies, then you
> > get a series Patch[1/21]..., see the patch-tracker for examples. But
> > there are also some examples of people sending patches as attachments.
> >

> Yes, Björn is right here, it is easier to handle longer series with
> git send-email,
> but it is perfectly ok to send patches as attachments.
>

> > > In the thread of mails, I have already asked you, but I would like to
> > > know how to continue from now on:
> > >
> > > I would like to go on contributing as much as possible up to November
> > > 6th (the deadline for applying for Outreachy).
> > > 1) Is it fine to go on packaging R packages that are not available
> > > yet, now that I know how to import them, modify them and the whole
> > > process?
> > > 2) Do you prefer another tasks to be done?
> >
> > I would say that R-packages is fine. Gabor do you see any specific
> > other tasks?
> >

> R-packages are fine for now.
>
> > If you have any other favourite packages, you can give them also a try.
> > It could just get more difficult, with more manual steps, other build
> > systems, dependencies to be packed first, code to be patched, etc.
> >

> Yes, this would also be good. Please tell us if you have any specific package
> in mind.
I guess I could package some more R packages, and then let me know
which ones you think are more convenient, or you find more appealing
for Guix.

> > > - I would like to contribute even after November 6th since I like the
> > > project really much and the community made me feel really comfortable,
> > > that's why I kept saying thank you almost all the time.
> >
> > Of cause. Nice to hear.
> >

> Yes, nice to hear.
>
> > > Maybe after the deadline for applying for Outreachy, I could be
> > > participating - just some ideas that came into my mind:
> > > 1) reading all the documentation even more carefully, and learning
> > > even more about guix commands.
> > > 2) Getting much more involved with all the suggested tools that you
> > > use - I used vim in the past, for instance, so I'm learning emacs
> > > commands - and  I am  also learning new git commands, such as the ones
> > > that I had to use for the patches - or even install another hypervisor
> > > that is not VirtualBox. I played a little with KVM in the past, for
> > > example.
> > > 3) Go on playing with my VM with GuixSD.
> >
> > If you have guix on top of another distro on your real hardware: You
> > can just install qemu with guix. And you can try
> >
> > guix system vm-image my-system-configuration.scm
> >
> > That produces a QEMU image. Copy it out of your store into your home
> > directory, then it is read/write. and start it.
> >

> You can also try guix system vm, but that way the image is not writeable.

> > > don't know, there are always many things to go on learning, and I will
> > > not have the pressure by then to have contributions to be done for
> > > Outreachy . And of course this are some ideas, so that's why I am
> > > asking you for suggestions, and what do you think about them.
> >

> > Looking at Outreachy, you could try out all things with generations:
> >
> >  * guix package
> >  * guix pull
> >  * guix system
> >
> > See how they behave, how you can roll back, delete old generations,
> > garbage collect.
> >
> > You can also get more into environment and containers:
> >
> > guix environment, with "-C" or "--pure", with network "-N" or
> > "--shared" folders.
Ok, I'll take all this into account for later :)

> > There is plenty of magic to be explored in Guix :-)
> >
> > Björn
>
> Best regards,
> g_bor

Best regards!
Laura

* Re: [outreachy] Further steps
@ 2018-10-25  3:08       ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-10-25  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

Hi Laura,

>> > If you have any other favourite packages, you can give them also a try.
>> > It could just get more difficult, with more manual steps, other build
>> > systems, dependencies to be packed first, code to be patched, etc.
>> >

>> Yes, this would also be good. Please tell us if you have any specific package
>> in mind.
> I guess I could package some more R packages, and then let me know
> which ones you think are more convenient, or you find more appealing
> for Guix.

All free R packages on CRAN are appealing from my perspective.  You can
also pick a package from Bioconductor, which might be a tad more
difficult, as that could depend not only on other Bioconductor packages
but also packages on CRAN.  Note that the importer does not
automatically switch between downloading from Bioconductor to
downloading from CRAN, so you may have to run the importer more than
once.

Use “guix import cran -a bioconductor -r PACKAGE” — when it aborts you
may have stumbled upon an unpackaged CRAN package.

R packages from Bioconductor should be added to the (gnu packages
bioconductor) module.

As far as learning new things goes: R packages usually are very simple.
They rarely ever require changes to the build system, so you don’t get
to learn about the “arguments” field of the “package” DSL.

Alternatively, you could look into making changes to the Texinfo
documentation.  For the project you would need to be somewhat familiar
with the manual, so it can’t hurt if you would edit it a little.  An
easy edit is to add a handful of “@cindex” lines to places in the manual
that currently miss them.  A “@cindex” line adds a location in the
manual to the index for a given keyword, so that people can find
relevant places in the manual more easily.

--
Ricardo

* Re: [outreachy] Further steps
@ 2018-10-25 10:57       ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-25 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

Hello Laura,

Please, also note that you will have to submit an application, so that
you can be selected as an intern. I would suggest to have a look at
what information is needed there, so we can do a few iterations on
that, and we can come up with a reasonable timeline.

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: [outreachy] Further steps
@ 2018-10-25 14:16         ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-10-25 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rekado; +Cc: Guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 12:08 AM Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> Hi Laura,

> >> Yes, this would also be good. Please tell us if you have any specific package
> >> in mind.
> > I guess I could package some more R packages, and then let me know
> > which ones you think are more convenient, or you find more appealing
> > for Guix.
>
> All free R packages on CRAN are appealing from my perspective.  You can
> also pick a package from Bioconductor, which might be a tad more
> difficult, as that could depend not only on other Bioconductor packages
> but also packages on CRAN.  Note that the importer does not
> automatically switch between downloading from Bioconductor to
> downloading from CRAN, so you may have to run the importer more than
> once.
>
> Use “guix import cran -a bioconductor -r PACKAGE” — when it aborts you
> may have stumbled upon an unpackaged CRAN package.
>
> R packages from Bioconductor should be added to the (gnu packages
> bioconductor) module.

Yes, I was thinking that maybe a trade-off between learning new things
and contributing with things that you need right now, that was why I
was thinking of R packages. Maybe I could package one or two more, to
practice doing so by myself this time, and then switch to another
task, WDYT?
BTW, I was trying to run guix pull, the one installed on top of my
foreing distro - not the one in the guix environment - and I am
getting this error, don't know why, I have already run guix pull
before:
:~/guix$ guix pull
Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laura'...
guix pull: error: symlink: File exists:
"/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laura/current-guix-1-link"
> As far as learning new things goes: R packages usually are very simple
> They rarely ever require changes to the build system, so you don’t get
> to learn about the “arguments” field of the “package” DSL.
>
> Alternatively, you could look into making changes to the Texinfo
> documentation.  For the project you would need to be somewhat familiar
> with the manual, so it can’t hurt if you would edit it a little.  An
> easy edit is to add a handful of “@cindex” lines to places in the manual
> that currently miss them.  A “@cindex” line adds a location in the
> manual to the index for a given keyword, so that people can find
> relevant places in the manual more easily.
By the manual you, mean,
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/index.html#Top,
or am I missing something?
If that's the manual, please, let me know further steps to edit it,
since I don't have much idea of how to do so.
It also mentions that you need help for translations, my mother tongue
is spanish, and I am good at translating documentation, at least in
neutral latin american spanish, but I don't know if that is for
another project - I followed the link: Translation Project.

Regards!
Laura

> --
> Ricardo

* Re: [outreachy] Further steps
@ 2018-10-25 14:36         ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-10-25 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 7:58 AM Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Laura,
>
> Please, also note that you will have to submit an application, so that
> you can be selected as an intern. I would suggest to have a look at
> what information is needed there, so we can do a few iterations on
> that, and we can come up with a reasonable timeline.

I fill kind of silly, but I am afraid of clicking "Apply for this
project" and be sending just one contribution and that's it.
Reading what is after that button, it mentions a timeline, so I guess
I could click it without doing any harm.
I have read the project information about what I will be doing as
regards outreachy, if am I chosen for the program, so that was also
why I was asking for help about what tools I need to know for creating
the user documentation videos, as well as going on learning about guix
after the deadline for applying, so that I feel comfortable with guix
and the tools that I will need by then.
As for me, I will not have other commitments, so maybe planning the
timeline is something that I really need so that I know what to focus
on each week, and so on.

> Best regards,
> g_bor

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: [outreachy] Further steps
@ 2018-10-25 14:37           ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-25 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

Hello Laura,

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
okt. 25., Cs, 16:17):

> On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 12:08 AM Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:
> >

> > Hi Laura,

> > > I guess I could package some more R packages, and then let me know
> > > which ones you think are more convenient, or you find more appealing
> > > for Guix.
> >
> > All free R packages on CRAN are appealing from my perspective.  You can
> > also pick a package from Bioconductor, which might be a tad more
> > difficult, as that could depend not only on other Bioconductor packages
> > but also packages on CRAN.  Note that the importer does not
> > automatically switch between downloading from Bioconductor to
> > downloading from CRAN, so you may have to run the importer more than
> > once.
> >
> > Use “guix import cran -a bioconductor -r PACKAGE” — when it aborts you
> > may have stumbled upon an unpackaged CRAN package.
> >
> > R packages from Bioconductor should be added to the (gnu packages
> > bioconductor) module.
> >
> Yes, I was thinking that maybe a trade-off between learning new things
> and contributing with things that you need right now, that was why I
> was thinking of R packages. Maybe I could package one or two more, to
> practice doing so by myself this time, and then switch to another
> task, WDYT?

That would be great!

> BTW, I was trying to run guix pull, the one installed on top of my
> foreing distro - not the one in the guix environment - and I am
> getting this error, don't know why, I have already run guix pull
> before:
> :~/guix$ guix pull
> Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laura'...
> guix pull: error: symlink: File exists:
> "/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laura/current-guix-1-link"

It seems that something is mixed up between the old and new guix pull,
I hope someone can provide some more insight. Ludo?

> > As far as learning new things goes: R packages usually are very simple
> > They rarely ever require changes to the build system, so you don’t get
> > to learn about the “arguments” field of the “package” DSL.
> >
> > Alternatively, you could look into making changes to the Texinfo
> > documentation.  For the project you would need to be somewhat familiar
> > with the manual, so it can’t hurt if you would edit it a little.  An
> > easy edit is to add a handful of “@cindex” lines to places in the manual
> > that currently miss them.  A “@cindex” line adds a location in the
> > manual to the index for a given keyword, so that people can find
> > relevant places in the manual more easily.
> By the manual you, mean,
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/index.html#Top,
> or am I missing something?

There is the manual in the source tree, at doc/guix.texi.
The one on the website is generated from that.

> If that's the manual, please, let me know further steps to edit it,
> since I don't have much idea of how to do so.

You can modify the manual at doc/guix.texi, and send a patch
the same way you would do for adding a package. Please note,
that info is sometimes quite fussy about format, so try to rebuild
the manual after modifications.

> It also mentions that you need help for translations, my mother tongue
> is spanish, and I am good at translating documentation, at least in
> neutral latin american spanish, but I don't know if that is for
> another project - I followed the link: Translation Project.

You are welcome to help with translations if you can find the time for that.
Translation Project is a hub, where different projects can send there po files
for translation. Usually there are language communities for a given language,
and they are coordinating translation work. This is orthogonal to this Outreachy
project.

However, it would be nice if you could provide the translations of the videos,
once we get there,

> Regards!
> Laura
>

> > --
> > Ricardo

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: [outreachy] Further steps
@ 2018-10-25 14:55             ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-10-25 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 11:37 AM Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Laura,
>
> Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
> okt. 25., Cs, 16:17):
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 12:08 AM Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:
> > >

> > > Hi Laura,

> > > All free R packages on CRAN are appealing from my perspective.  You can
> > > also pick a package from Bioconductor, which might be a tad more
> > > difficult, as that could depend not only on other Bioconductor packages
> > > but also packages on CRAN.  Note that the importer does not
> > > automatically switch between downloading from Bioconductor to
> > > downloading from CRAN, so you may have to run the importer more than
> > > once.
> > >
> > > Use “guix import cran -a bioconductor -r PACKAGE” — when it aborts you
> > > may have stumbled upon an unpackaged CRAN package.
> > >
> > > R packages from Bioconductor should be added to the (gnu packages
> > > bioconductor) module.
> > >
> > Yes, I was thinking that maybe a trade-off between learning new things
> > and contributing with things that you need right now, that was why I
> > was thinking of R packages. Maybe I could package one or two more, to
> > practice doing so by myself this time, and then switch to another
> > task, WDYT?
>
> That would be great!
Ok then, I start with a new R package, and then send the patch.

> > BTW, I was trying to run guix pull, the one installed on top of my
> > foreing distro - not the one in the guix environment - and I am
> > getting this error, don't know why, I have already run guix pull
> > before:
> > :~/guix$ guix pull
> > Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laura'...
> > guix pull: error: symlink: File exists:
> > "/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laura/current-guix-1-link"
>
> It seems that something is mixed up between the old and new guix pull,
> I hope someone can provide some more insight. Ludo?
Yes please, I need to fix this before going on.
Here is what happened, so that I provide the full information
After having my patch approved, I ran git pull (on master branch, of
course, I then created branches)
I wanted to check that everything was fine, so I ran:
:~/guix$ guix package -s "^r" | recsel -p name description| grep '\S'
| sort >newR.txt
And got the output:
Command 'recsel' not found, but can be installed with:
sudo apt install recutils
(which is strange, I have played with recsel before sending my
patches, when learning guix package command)
so i ran guix package -I, where recutils was effectively installed
However, I tried:
$guix package -i recutils
guix package: warning: Your Guix installation is 13 days old.
guix package: warning: Consider running 'guix pull' followed by
'guix package -u' to get up-to-date packages and security updates.
The package was installed after those warnings, and I was asked to
export env variables:
export PATH="/home/laura/.guix-profile/bin${PATH:+:}$PATH"
export INFOPATH="/home/laura/.guix-profile/share/info${INFOPATH:+:}$INFOPATH"
Did so, but when running again:
:~/guix$ guix package -s "^r" | recsel -p name description| grep '\S'
| sort >newR.txt
Got the output:
recsel: error: cannot read file description
And also got that error when running guix pull.

> > > As far as learning new things goes: R packages usually are very simple
> > > They rarely ever require changes to the build system, so you don’t get
> > > to learn about the “arguments” field of the “package” DSL.
> > >
> > > Alternatively, you could look into making changes to the Texinfo
> > > documentation.  For the project you would need to be somewhat familiar
> > > with the manual, so it can’t hurt if you would edit it a little.  An
> > > easy edit is to add a handful of “@cindex” lines to places in the manual
> > > that currently miss them.  A “@cindex” line adds a location in the
> > > manual to the index for a given keyword, so that people can find
> > > relevant places in the manual more easily.
> > By the manual you, mean,
> > https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/index.html#Top,
> > or am I missing something?
>
> There is the manual in the source tree, at doc/guix.texi.
> The one on the website is generated from that.
>
> > If that's the manual, please, let me know further steps to edit it,
> > since I don't have much idea of how to do so.
>
> You can modify the manual at doc/guix.texi, and send a patch
> the same way you would do for adding a package. Please note,
> that info is sometimes quite fussy about format, so try to rebuild
> the manual after modifications.
>
> > It also mentions that you need help for translations, my mother tongue
> > is spanish, and I am good at translating documentation, at least in
> > neutral latin american spanish, but I don't know if that is for
> > another project - I followed the link: Translation Project.
> >

> You are welcome to help with translations if you can find the time for that.
> Translation Project is a hub, where different projects can send there po files
> for translation. Usually there are language communities for a given language,
> and they are coordinating translation work. This is orthogonal to this Outreachy
> project.
>
> However, it would be nice if you could provide the translations of the videos,
> once we get there,
>
> > Regards!
> > Laura
> >

> > > --
> > > Ricardo
> > >

> Best regards,
> g_bor

* guix pull: error: symlink: File exists (was: Re: [outreachy] Further steps)
@ 2018-10-25 17:29               ` Thorsten Wilms
From: Thorsten Wilms @ 2018-10-25 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 25/10/2018 16.55, Laura Lazzati wrote:
>>> BTW, I was trying to run guix pull, the one installed on top of my
>>> foreing distro - not the one in the guix environment - and I am
>>> getting this error, don't know why, I have already run guix pull
>>> before:
>>> :~/guix$ guix pull
>>> Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laura'...
>>> guix pull: error: symlink: File exists:
>>> "/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laura/current-guix-1-link"
>> It seems that something is mixed up between the old and new guix pull,
>> I hope someone can provide some more insight. Ludo?
> Yes please, I need to fix this before going on.
> Here is what happened, so that I provide the full information
> After having my patch approved, I ran git pull (on master branch, of
> course, I then created branches)
> I wanted to check that everything was fine, so I ran:
> :~/guix$ guix package -s "^r" | recsel -p name description| grep '\S'
> | sort >newR.txt
> And got the output:
> Command 'recsel' not found, but can be installed with:
> sudo apt install recutils
> (which is strange, I have played with recsel before sending my
> patches, when learning guix package command)
> so i ran guix package -I, where recutils was effectively installed
> However, I tried:
> $guix package -i recutils
> guix package: warning: Your Guix installation is 13 days old.
> guix package: warning: Consider running 'guix pull' followed by
> 'guix package -u' to get up-to-date packages and security updates.
> The package was installed after those warnings, and I was asked to
> export env variables:
> export PATH="/home/laura/.guix-profile/bin${PATH:+:}$PATH"
> export INFOPATH="/home/laura/.guix-profile/share/info${INFOPATH:+:}$INFOPATH"
> Did so, but when running again:
> :~/guix$ guix package -s "^r" | recsel -p name description| grep '\S'
> | sort >newR.txt
> Got the output:
> recsel: error: cannot read file description
> And also got that error when running guix pull.

Hi, this error happened here, too, also on a foreign distro, without any
extra steps.

---
Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/thorwil'...
guix pull: error: symlink: File exists:
"/var/guix/profiles/per-user/thorwil/current-guix-1-link"
---

At the same time, a `sudo guix pull` works fine.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists (was: Re: [outreachy] Further steps)
@ 2018-10-25 19:08                 ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-25 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Wilms, Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@freenet.de> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt. 25., Cs
20:06):

> >> It seems that something is mixed up between the old and new guix pull,
> >> I hope someone can provide some more insight. Ludo?
> > Yes please, I need to fix this before going on.
> > Here is what happened, so that I provide the full information
> > After having my patch approved, I ran git pull (on master branch, of
> > course, I then created branches)
> > I wanted to check that everything was fine, so I ran:
> > :~/guix$ guix package -s "^r" | recsel -p name description| grep '\S'
> > | sort >newR.txt
> > And got the output:
> > Command 'recsel' not found, but can be installed with:
> > sudo apt install recutils
> > (which is strange, I have played with recsel before sending my
> > patches, when learning guix package command)
> > so i ran guix package -I, where recutils was effectively installed
> > However, I tried:
> > $guix package -i recutils
> > guix package: warning: Your Guix installation is 13 days old.
> > guix package: warning: Consider running 'guix pull' followed by
> > 'guix package -u' to get up-to-date packages and security updates.
> > The package was installed after those warnings, and I was asked to
> > export env variables:
> > export PATH="/home/laura/.guix-profile/bin${PATH:+:}$PATH"
> > export
> INFOPATH="/home/laura/.guix-profile/share/info${INFOPATH:+:}$INFOPATH"
> > Did so, but when running again:
> > :~/guix$ guix package -s "^r" | recsel -p name description| grep '\S'
> > | sort >newR.txt
> > Got the output:
> > recsel: error: cannot read file description
> > And also got that error when running guix pull.
>
> Hi, this error happened here, too, also on a foreign distro, without any
> extra steps.
>
> ---
> Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/thorwil'...
> guix pull: error: symlink: File exists:
> "/var/guix/profiles/per-user/thorwil/current-guix-1-link"
> ---
>
> At the same time, a `sudo guix pull` works fine.

Thanks for this finding.

> --
> Thorsten Wilms
>
> thorwil's design for free software:
> http://thorwil.wordpress.com/

* Re: [outreachy] Further steps
@ 2018-10-26  5:58           ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-10-26  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

Hi Laura,

> BTW, I was trying to run guix pull, the one installed on top of my
> foreing distro - not the one in the guix environment - and I am
> getting this error, don't know why, I have already run guix pull
> before:
> :~/guix$ guix pull
> Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laura'...
> guix pull: error: symlink: File exists:
> "/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laura/current-guix-1-link"

Could you please tell us what “guix --version” says?  This might make it
easier for us to tell you how to get around this problem.

There was a recent change to the storage location of the profile used by
“guix pull”.  It would previously be stored in the home directory and
has now been changed to be stored where other profiles are stored.

The error message seems to say that a migration to the new location had
already happened, so it shouldn’t attempt to do this again.

--
Ricardo

* Re: [outreachy] Further steps
@ 2018-10-26 10:00             ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-10-26 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rekado; +Cc: Guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

Hi!
On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 2:59 AM Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> Hi Laura,
>
> > BTW, I was trying to run guix pull, the one installed on top of my
> > foreing distro - not the one in the guix environment - and I am
> > getting this error, don't know why, I have already run guix pull
> > before:
> > :~/guix$ guix pull
> > Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laura'...
> > guix pull: error: symlink: File exists:
> > "/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laura/current-guix-1-link"
>
> Could you please tell us what “guix --version” says?  This might make it
> easier for us to tell you how to get around this problem.

> There was a recent change to the storage location of the profile used by
> “guix pull”.  It would previously be stored in the home directory and
> has now been changed to be stored where other profiles are stored.
Yes, I've been struggling a lot, all day long yesterday.

Maybe all the steps shed some light
 I say one commit with:
$git log | grep -C 10 pull: |  less

commit aa227b3be3d7728331a08dbd139c47c9b271dc23
Author: Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org>
Date:   Fri Oct 12 16:43:18 2018 +0200

    pull: Fix target of /var/guix/profiles/per-user/USER/current-guix.

    This is a followup to 8155a209071f981fbf359975f463be4bcf8fa23e.

    * guix/scripts/pull.scm (migrate-generations): Compute the right target
    for /var/guix/profiles/per-user/USER/current-guix.  Previously we'd
    return "current-N-link" instead of "current-guix-N-link'.

I removed the current path from PATH, and my guix pull -l was pointing
at the commit from where my clone date was:
$guix pull -l
Generation 1    oct 25 2018 14:34:43    (current)
  guix 84f6a99
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: origin/master
    commit: 84f6a9907b91a1a2fdb5fe3fc4bab177b8734f95

and which guix showed
/user/local/bin/guix

but when guix pulling I was getting the same error, and strangely my
git HEAD was ponting at that commit, even after doing git pull and
having later commits shown with git log, not in chronogical order
(commit 84f6a9907b91a1a2fdb5fe3fc4bab177b8734f95)

It worked with sudo, as Thorsten Wilms mentioned (ran sudo guix pull)
I have just checked that:
$sudo guix pull  -l
guile: warning: failed to install locale
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales'
package and defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

     guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales
     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

Generation 1    Oct 17 2018 12:32:20
  guix c4d6244
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: origin/master
    commit: c4d62443eb50a615d47b590a7fedcc7f7f0ec100

Generation 2    Oct 25 2018 17:39:44
  guix 84f6a99
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: origin/master
    commit: 84f6a9907b91a1a2fdb5fe3fc4bab177b8734f95

Generation 3    Oct 26 2018 00:18:32    (current)
  guix 21c51eb
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: origin/master
    commit: 21c51ebd66faa0b47f0be223d97c3a371346f54b
but guix pull (without sudo), however, it shows the same error:
$guix pull
Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laura'...
guix pull: error: symlink: File exists:
"/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laura/current-guix-1-link"

However, my current version:
$guix --version
guix (GNU Guix) 21c51ebd66faa0b47f0be223d97c3a371346f54b
Copyright (C) 2018 the Guix authors

and checked:
 $cd /usr/local/bin
 $ll | grep guix
which happens to show
 guix -> /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix*
(I see that it point to root, not my user, I guess that because of sudo)

Any ideas?

> The error message seems to say that a migration to the new location had
> already happened, so it shouldn’t attempt to do this again.
>
> --
> Ricardo

Regards!
Laura

* Re: [outreachy] Further steps
@ 2018-10-26 10:31               ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-10-26 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rekado; +Cc: Guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 7:00 AM Laura Lazzati
> [...]
> but guix pull (without sudo), however, it shows the same error:
> $guix pull
> Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laura'...
> guix pull: error: symlink: File exists:
> "/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laura/current-guix-1-link"
>
> However, my current version:
> $guix --version
> guix (GNU Guix) 21c51ebd66faa0b47f0be223d97c3a371346f54b
> Copyright (C) 2018 the Guix authors
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
>
> and checked:
>  $cd /usr/local/bin
>  $ll | grep guix
> which happens to show
>  guix -> /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix*
> (I see that it point to root, not my user, I guess that because of sudo)

Sorry, I have restored to the point in which I cloned the repo (and
had not worked yet on branch master):
which guix
/home/laura/.config/guix/current/bin/guix

guix --version
guix (GNU Guix) c4d62443eb50a615d47b590a7fedcc7f7f0ec100
Copyright (C) 2018 the Guix authors

git pulled

But the same error with guix pull

> > The error message seems to say that a migration to the new location had
> > already happened, so it shouldn’t attempt to do this again.
> >
> > --
> > Ricardo
> >
> Regards!
> Laura

* Re: [outreachy] Further steps
@ 2018-10-26 10:40           ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-10-26 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

Hi Laura,

> I fill kind of silly, but I am afraid of clicking "Apply for this
> project" and be sending just one contribution and that's it.

Don’t worry about that.  The number of contributions is not the primary
metric we use to select an intern.  Communication weighs a lot, and the
proposed timeline is pretty important to us, too.  The timeline won’t
necessarily be followed during the project (as it’s really hard to
predict exact durations), but it is good to spend some time on thinking
about how this big project can be broken up into much smaller, simpler
tasks.  To us it is important to see that this kind of careful thinking
reflected in the proposed timeline.

--
Ricardo

* Re: [outreachy] Further steps
@ 2018-10-26 15:00             ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-10-26 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rekado; +Cc: Guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

Hi!
On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 7:40 AM Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> Hi Laura,
>
> > I fill kind of silly, but I am afraid of clicking "Apply for this
> > project" and be sending just one contribution and that's it.
>
> Don’t worry about that.  The number of contributions is not the primary
> metric we use to select an intern.  Communication weighs a lot, and the
> proposed timeline is pretty important to us, too.  The timeline won’t
> necessarily be followed during the project (as it’s really hard to
> predict exact durations), but it is good to spend some time on thinking
> about how this big project can be broken up into much smaller, simpler
> tasks.  To us it is important to see that this kind of careful thinking
> reflected in the proposed timeline.
Sorry for the typos. It was feel.
I have just clicked the button, to see the form, and yes, the timeline
is the most difficult part of it.
I have been reading your discussion in another thread of mails, so I
am a little mixed up with that.
(I guess it is your discussion, but it confused me a little at least
about how to go on).
Shall we discuss together how to set the timeline?
Shall I propose it?
Do I need to know the editing tools before starting the internship if
I am chosen?

> --
> Ricardo

Regards!
Laura

* Re: [outreachy] Further steps
@ 2018-10-26 17:21               ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-26 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

Hello Laura,

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
okt. 26., P, 17:01):

> Hi!
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 7:40 AM Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:
> >

> > Hi Laura,
> >
> > > I fill kind of silly, but I am afraid of clicking "Apply for this
> > > project" and be sending just one contribution and that's it.
> >
> > Don’t worry about that.  The number of contributions is not the primary
> > metric we use to select an intern.  Communication weighs a lot, and the
> > proposed timeline is pretty important to us, too.  The timeline won’t
> > necessarily be followed during the project (as it’s really hard to
> > predict exact durations), but it is good to spend some time on thinking
> > about how this big project can be broken up into much smaller, simpler
> > tasks.  To us it is important to see that this kind of careful thinking
> > reflected in the proposed timeline.

Also, you can still record contributions after the application, but as Ricardo
said, the number of contributions is not the primary metric.

> Sorry for the typos. It was feel.
> I have just clicked the button, to see the form, and yes, the timeline
> is the most difficult part of it.
> I have been reading your discussion in another thread of mails, so I
> am a little mixed up with that.
> (I guess it is your discussion, but it confused me a little at least
> about how to go on).

Please, don't get confused. That one is an open discussion, feel free to join.
We would like to have a clearer picture about the community expectations
regarding the project, set up some priorities, and plan some infrastructure for
the work. I would like you to get involved, so that you can also express your
opinion and expectations, as the outcome of the discussion will influence your
work if you are chosen. ( It is very undesirable that you work on something that
you don't like,  it kills morale fast. )

> Shall we discuss together how to set the timeline?

Yes, that would be nice.

> Shall I propose it?

I would like you to come up with an initial proposal, and then iterate on that.

> Do I need to know the editing tools before starting the internship if
> I am chosen?

I don't think that is necessary, and at the current state of discussion I would
not like to force any tools. Actually I am open to proposals regarding the
concrete implementation ideas, and the set of tools to use.

> > --
> > Ricardo
> >
> Regards!
> Laura

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: [outreachy] Further steps
@ 2018-10-26 18:46                 ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-10-26 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 2:22 PM Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Laura,
>
> Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
> okt. 26., P, 17:01):
> >
> > Hi!
> > On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 7:40 AM Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:
> > >

> > > Hi Laura,

> > > Don’t worry about that.  The number of contributions is not the primary
> > > metric we use to select an intern.  Communication weighs a lot, and the
> > > proposed timeline is pretty important to us, too.  The timeline won’t
> > > necessarily be followed during the project (as it’s really hard to
> > > predict exact durations), but it is good to spend some time on thinking
> > > about how this big project can be broken up into much smaller, simpler
> > > tasks.  To us it is important to see that this kind of careful thinking
> > > reflected in the proposed timeline.
>
> Also, you can still record contributions after the application, but as Ricardo
> said, the number of contributions is not the primary metric.
I thought that they were really important, so that was why I was
thinking about doing more contributions up to November. I still would
like  to be a contributor even the outcome of Outreachy, as I
mentioned, but if I can apply to Outreachy the better.

> > Sorry for the typos. It was feel.
> > I have just clicked the button, to see the form, and yes, the timeline
> > is the most difficult part of it.
> > I have been reading your discussion in another thread of mails, so I
> > am a little mixed up with that.
> > (I guess it is your discussion, but it confused me a little at least
> > about how to go on).
>
> Please, don't get confused. That one is an open discussion, feel free to join.
> We would like to have a clearer picture about the community expectations
> regarding the project, set up some priorities, and plan some infrastructure for
> the work. I would like you to get involved, so that you can also express your
> opinion and expectations, as the outcome of the discussion will influence your
> work if you are chosen. ( It is very undesirable that you work on something that
> you don't like,  it kills morale fast. )

Oh, thanks :) I was not mentioning anything there because I did not
want to become an intruder or something like that.
But I have some suggestions. Maybe I could mention them there. As a
user who watches tutorials and as a person who at least suggested
doing video tutorials, even though in that case my proposals were
going probably to end up in YouTube or something like that.

> > Shall we discuss together how to set the timeline?
>
> Yes, that would be nice.
>
> > Shall I propose it?
>
> I would like you to come up with an initial proposal, and then iterate on that.
Ok, I have the initial Outreachy project next to me. I will take a
look at everything there, and write down a proposal, during the
following days, WDYT?

> > Do I need to know the editing tools before starting the internship if
> > I am chosen?
>
> I don't think that is necessary, and at the current state of discussion I would
> not like to force any tools. Actually I am open to proposals regarding the
> concrete implementation ideas, and the set of tools to use.
I  was asking this because I see the community is concerned about the
freedom, so maybe I come up with a tool and it is not GPL, maybe it
has another license and I don't check that very well, and I do not
want to have kind of trouble, but I could add in the timeline time to
learn tools that I do not know. I use FOSS in general, so that I do
not make a mistake with a tool.
For instance, i knew some LaTeX instead of Texinfo, so I was reading about it.

> > > --
> > > Ricardo
> > >
> > Regards!
> > Laura
>
> Best regards,
> g_bor

Regards!
Laura

* Re: [outreachy] Further steps
@ 2018-10-26 19:06                   ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-26 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

Hello Laura,

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
okt. 26., P, 20:47):

> On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 2:22 PM Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Laura,
> >
> > Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
> > okt. 26., P, 17:01):
> > >
> > > Hi!

> > Also, you can still record contributions after the application, but as Ricardo
> > said, the number of contributions is not the primary metric.
> I thought that they were really important, so that was why I was
> thinking about doing more contributions up to November. I still would
> like  to be a contributor even the outcome of Outreachy, as I
> mentioned, but if I can apply to Outreachy the better.
> >
> > > Sorry for the typos. It was feel.
> > > I have just clicked the button, to see the form, and yes, the timeline
> > > is the most difficult part of it.
> > > I have been reading your discussion in another thread of mails, so I
> > > am a little mixed up with that.
> > > (I guess it is your discussion, but it confused me a little at least
> > > about how to go on).
> >
> > Please, don't get confused. That one is an open discussion, feel free to join.
> > We would like to have a clearer picture about the community expectations
> > regarding the project, set up some priorities, and plan some infrastructure for
> > the work. I would like you to get involved, so that you can also express your
> > opinion and expectations, as the outcome of the discussion will influence your
> > work if you are chosen. ( It is very undesirable that you work on something that
> > you don't like,  it kills morale fast. )
>
> Oh, thanks :) I was not mentioning anything there because I did not
> want to become an intruder or something like that.
> But I have some suggestions. Maybe I could mention them there. As a
> user who watches tutorials and as a person who at least suggested
> doing video tutorials, even though in that case my proposals were
> going probably to end up in YouTube or something like that.

You can have a look at the proposed distribution locations at the other
discussion.

> > > Shall we discuss together how to set the timeline?
> >
> > Yes, that would be nice.
> >
> > > Shall I propose it?
> >
> > I would like you to come up with an initial proposal, and then iterate on that.
> Ok, I have the initial Outreachy project next to me. I will take a
> look at everything there, and write down a proposal, during the
> following days, WDYT?

Ok, that would be great.

> > > Do I need to know the editing tools before starting the internship if
> > > I am chosen?
> >
> > I don't think that is necessary, and at the current state of discussion I would
> > not like to force any tools. Actually I am open to proposals regarding the
> > concrete implementation ideas, and the set of tools to use.
> I  was asking this because I see the community is concerned about the
> freedom, so maybe I come up with a tool and it is not GPL, maybe it
> has another license and I don't check that very well, and I do not
> want to have kind of trouble, but I could add in the timeline time to
> learn tools that I do not know. I use FOSS in general, so that I do
> not make a mistake with a tool.
> For instance, i knew some LaTeX instead of Texinfo, so I was reading about it.

Actually free software is not necessarily GPL. You can have a look at
the list of
FSF approved licenses at https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html.
Note that there are GPL incompatible free software licences, but
software lincensed
by these is still free software. (For example LaTeX is free software)
As you can see
software freedom and licensing is a quite sophisticated issue in
general. You can
generally trust that software packaged by guix is free.
( We are trying hard to make it so, at least :-) ). If you would like
to use software that
is currently not packaged, we can have a look at the proposed tools to
see if they are free.

> > > Regards!
> > > Laura
> >
> > Best regards,
> > g_bor
>
> Regards!
> Laura

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: [outreachy] Further steps
@ 2018-10-26 19:21                 ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-10-26 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rekado; +Cc: Guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

I have another update on this:

I even restored to a snapshot even before cloning guix at all (I only
had it installed).
I ran guix --version, got:
guix 0.15.0... (not pointing to any commit).
guix pull -l
no output, it was clean.
Also which guix did not show the path that had the "current" in it
(/usr/local/bin), but there I am still finding a symlink to
guix -> /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix*

guix pull --fallback
(waited all day long...)

exported the new PATH variable

Same error when running:
guix pull -l
Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laura'...
guix pull: error: symlink: File exists:
"/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laura/current-guix-1-link"

guix --version:
guix (GNU Guix) 2e2b8635b99167554bc51a9d1067c808bcb63d37

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 7:31 AM Laura Lazzati

* Re: [outreachy] Further steps
@ 2018-10-26 19:36                     ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-10-26 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 4:06 PM Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Laura,
>
> Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
> okt. 26., P, 20:47):
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 2:22 PM Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello Laura,
> > >
> > > Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
> > > okt. 26., P, 17:01):

> > > Also, you can still record contributions after the application, but as Ricardo
> > > said, the number of contributions is not the primary metric.
> > I thought that they were really important, so that was why I was
> > thinking about doing more contributions up to November. I still would
> > like  to be a contributor even the outcome of Outreachy, as I
> > mentioned, but if I can apply to Outreachy the better.

> > > Please, don't get confused. That one is an open discussion, feel free to join.
> > > We would like to have a clearer picture about the community expectations
> > > regarding the project, set up some priorities, and plan some infrastructure for
> > > the work. I would like you to get involved, so that you can also express your
> > > opinion and expectations, as the outcome of the discussion will influence your
> > > work if you are chosen. ( It is very undesirable that you work on something that
> > > you don't like,  it kills morale fast. )
> >
> > Oh, thanks :) I was not mentioning anything there because I did not
> > want to become an intruder or something like that.
> > But I have some suggestions. Maybe I could mention them there. As a
> > user who watches tutorials and as a person who at least suggested
> > doing video tutorials, even though in that case my proposals were
> > going probably to end up in YouTube or something like that.
>
> You can have a look at the proposed distribution locations at the other
> discussion.

> > > Yes, that would be nice.

> > > I would like you to come up with an initial proposal, and then iterate on that.
> > Ok, I have the initial Outreachy project next to me. I will take a
> > look at everything there, and write down a proposal, during the
> > following days, WDYT?
>
> Ok, that would be great.
I have one last question: do I need to follow a specific format?
ie: a  template or just writing down in plain text:
From date/week number up to date/week number: and a TODO list of tasks?

> > > I don't think that is necessary, and at the current state of discussion I would
> > > not like to force any tools. Actually I am open to proposals regarding the
> > > concrete implementation ideas, and the set of tools to use.
> > I  was asking this because I see the community is concerned about the
> > freedom, so maybe I come up with a tool and it is not GPL, maybe it
> > has another license and I don't check that very well, and I do not
> > want to have kind of trouble, but I could add in the timeline time to
> > learn tools that I do not know. I use FOSS in general, so that I do
> > not make a mistake with a tool.
> > For instance, i knew some LaTeX instead of Texinfo, so I was reading about it.
>
> Actually free software is not necessarily GPL. You can have a look at
> the list of
> FSF approved licenses at https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html.
> Note that there are GPL incompatible free software licences, but
> software lincensed
> by these is still free software. (For example LaTeX is free software)
> As you can see
> software freedom and licensing is a quite sophisticated issue in
> general. You can
> generally trust that software packaged by guix is free.
> ( We are trying hard to make it so, at least :-) ). If you would like
> to use software that
> is currently not packaged, we can have a look at the proposed tools to
> see if they are free.
Yes, I was reading about them before :) It is not a problem for me at
all. I have to learn them whatever the case is, so that was why I was
asking, if they are packaged in guix, then I will use them (or if not,
another contribution: packaging the tools to do the project)

> > > Best regards,
> > > g_bor
> >
> > Regards!
> > Laura
>
> Best regards,
> g_bor

Regards!

* Re: [outreachy] Further steps
@ 2018-10-26 20:06                       ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-10-26 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

>> > Ok, I have the initial Outreachy project next to me. I will take a
>> > look at everything there, and write down a proposal, during the
>> > following days, WDYT?
>>
>> Ok, that would be great.
> I have one last question: do I need to follow a specific format?
> ie: a  template or just writing down in plain text:
> From date/week number up to date/week number: and a TODO list of tasks?

Plain text is fine.  It only needs to clearly communicate your intent.

--
Ricardo

* Re: [outreachy] Further steps
@ 2018-10-28  1:51                         ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-10-28  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 5:06 PM Ricardo Wurmus
<ricardo.wurmus@mdc-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hi Laura,

> >> Ok, that would be great.
> > I have one last question: do I need to follow a specific format?
> > ie: a  template or just writing down in plain text:
> > From date/week number up to date/week number: and a TODO list of tasks?
>
> Plain text is fine.  It only needs to clearly communicate your intent.
Sorry, I wrote some ideas in the discussion thread about the videos.
I have one last question about the timeline:
How much in depth I need to detail what I am thinking of doing each
week/s? Is it ok writing a general idea,
For example:
Week 1: learn the necessary concepts about video creation, and tools I
will be using
Week 2: work on the video/s about packaging (for example, as it is one
mentioned on the Oureachy website)
Or does it have to be more detailed?
Regards!

> --
> Ricardo
Laura

* Re: [outreachy] Further steps
@ 2018-10-28  8:36                           ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-28  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

Hello Laura,

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
okt. 28., V, 2:52):

> On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 5:06 PM Ricardo Wurmus
> <ricardo.wurmus@mdc-berlin.de> wrote:
> >

> > Hi Laura,

> > > I have one last question: do I need to follow a specific format?
> > > ie: a  template or just writing down in plain text:
> > > From date/week number up to date/week number: and a TODO list of tasks?
> >
> > Plain text is fine.  It only needs to clearly communicate your intent.
> Sorry, I wrote some ideas in the discussion thread about the videos.
> I have one last question about the timeline:
> How much in depth I need to detail what I am thinking of doing each
> week/s? Is it ok writing a general idea,
> For example:
> Week 1: learn the necessary concepts about video creation, and tools I
> will be using
> Week 2: work on the video/s about packaging (for example, as it is one
> mentioned on the Oureachy website)
> Or does it have to be more detailed?

I prefer to see an outline first, not very much detalied, and when the need
arises some parts can be refined. When there is a timeline, it is good to see
what the time estimates are based on. One way to do that is to break down
a task, as time requirements of smaller tasks are easier to estimate, but
there are other ways. So I don't think we need a much more detailed timeline
initially, but it would be nice if you could point out what your time estimates
are based on. If anyone is confused about a point in the outline, or would like
to see more details, then that can be refined. WDYT?

> Regards!
> >
> > --
> > Ricardo
> Laura

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: [outreachy] Further steps
@ 2018-10-28 19:01                             ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-10-28 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

Hi!
On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 5:36 AM Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Laura,
>
> Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
> okt. 28., V, 2:52):
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 5:06 PM Ricardo Wurmus
> > <ricardo.wurmus@mdc-berlin.de> wrote:
> > >

> > > Hi Laura,

> > > Plain text is fine.  It only needs to clearly communicate your intent.
> > Sorry, I wrote some ideas in the discussion thread about the videos.
> > I have one last question about the timeline:
> > How much in depth I need to detail what I am thinking of doing each
> > week/s? Is it ok writing a general idea,
> > For example:
> > Week 1: learn the necessary concepts about video creation, and tools I
> > will be using
> > Week 2: work on the video/s about packaging (for example, as it is one
> > mentioned on the Oureachy website)
> > Or does it have to be more detailed?
>
> I prefer to see an outline first, not very much detalied, and when the need
> arises some parts can be refined. When there is a timeline, it is good to see
> what the time estimates are based on. One way to do that is to break down
> a task, as time requirements of smaller tasks are easier to estimate, but
> there are other ways. So I don't think we need a much more detailed timeline
> initially, but it would be nice if you could point out what your time estimates
> are based on. If anyone is confused about a point in the outline, or would like
> to see more details, then that can be refined. WDYT?
I think that is OK, I am answering the mail with the discussion about
the videos to see how to go on with my timeline, since it is my first
proposal and I guess it will have to be modified. For example, there
are some details about how to group tasks according to which videos
are needed. But I will come up with an initial version at least to
know if i am on the right track.

> > Regards!
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ricardo
> > Laura
>
> Best regards,
> g_bor
Regards!
Laura

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists (was: Re: [outreachy] Further steps)
@ 2018-10-30 18:16                   ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-10-30 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 4:08 PM Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@freenet.de> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt. 25., Cs
> 20:06):
>

>> Hi, this error happened here, too, also on a foreign distro, without any
>> extra steps.
>>
>> ---
>> Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/thorwil'...
>> guix pull: error: symlink: File exists:
>> "/var/guix/profiles/per-user/thorwil/current-guix-1-link"
>> ---
>>
>> At the same time, a `sudo guix pull` works fine.
>>

> Thanks for this finding.

Sorry, I thought this fixed it for me too, but now every time I run an
installed package, I get that guix is 18 days old,  asks me to guix pull,
and if I run even the hello package, i get that it is not installed and
claims to install it with, in my case, apt.

>> --
>> Thorsten Wilms
>>
>> thorwil's design for free software:
>> http://thorwil.wordpress.com/

Regards,
Laura

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2018-10-30 20:02                     ` Thorsten Wilms
From: Thorsten Wilms @ 2018-10-30 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

On 30/10/2018 19.16, Laura Lazzati wrote:
>         At the same time, a `sudo guix pull` works fine.
>

>     Thanks for this finding.
>
> Sorry, I thought this fixed it for me too, but now every time I run an
> installed package, I get that guix is 18 days old,  asks me to guix
> pull, and if I run even the hello package, i get that it is not
> installed and claims to install it with, in my case, apt.

Sorry Laura, I did not mean to suggest that this was a fix. It's just
that `guix pull` for the root profile stayed functional. My own plain
user `guix pull` still results in the same old:

Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/thorwil'...
guix pull: error: symlink: File exists:
"/var/guix/profiles/per-user/thorwil/current-guix-1-link"

Looking for an explanation for having user and root profile guix, since
you seem to be unaware of how that works and I can't be sure of my own
understanding, I found something related:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2017-10/msg00014.html

Thing is, I did
`ln -s /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix
/usr/local/bin/guix`
during installation and that symlink is still intact. Yet, `guix pull`
and `sudo guix pull` are markedly different.

--

@ 2018-10-30 22:43                       ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-10-30 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: t_w_; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 5:05 PM Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@freenet.de> wrote:

> Looking for an explanation for having user and root profile guix, since
> you seem to be unaware of how that works and I can't be sure of my own
> understanding, I found something related:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2017-10/msg00014.html
>
> Thing is, I did
> `ln -s /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix
> /usr/local/bin/guix`
> during installation and that symlink is still intact. Yet, `guix pull`
> and `sudo guix pull` are markedly different.

I see, then I will try to go back to my VM snapshot before I first made a
guix pull when trying commands  - then I don't understand why the first
time it worked for me - and make the symlink, because I need to have it
working, and I would like to have it for my user - yes my user can run
sudo, but that's not the point - :(

> --
> Thorsten Wilms
>
> thorwil's design for free software:
> http://thorwil.wordpress.com/
>
> Regards!
Laura

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2018-10-31 10:06                         ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-10-31 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: t_w_; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi!
On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 7:43 PM Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 5:05 PM Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@freenet.de> wrote:
>
>> Thing is, I did
>> `ln -s /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix
>> /usr/local/bin/guix`
>> during installation and that symlink is still intact. Yet, `guix pull`
>> and `sudo guix pull` are markedly different
>
> I restored my VM with guix over a foreing distro.
I already had this:
cd /usr/local/bin
 ll | grep guix
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   54 oct  7 14:07 guix ->
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix*
However, when I run sudo guix pull - at least when I tried after asking for
help with this issue, it kind of takes all day long, and it ends up like
stuck somewhere testing guile, When I first ran guix pull it just took a
while

@ 2018-10-31 10:27                           ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-31 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Laura,

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
okt. 31., Sze, 11:08):

> Hi!
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 7:43 PM Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 5:05 PM Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@freenet.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thing is, I did
>>> `ln -s /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix
>>> /usr/local/bin/guix`
>>> during installation and that symlink is still intact. Yet, `guix pull`
>>> and `sudo guix pull` are markedly different
>
> I restored my VM with guix over a foreing distro.
> I already had this:
> cd /usr/local/bin
>  ll | grep guix
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   54 oct  7 14:07 guix -> /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix*
> However, when I run sudo guix pull - at least when I tried after asking for help with this issue, it kind of takes all day long, and it ends up like stuck somewhere testing guile, When I first ran guix pull it just took a while

Recently we were having problems on our build farms, you could try
guix pull --substitute-urls="https://berlin.guixsd.org", berlin is
back online just for about and hour, or so. Sorry about that.

>>> --
>>> Thorsten Wilms
>>>
>>> thorwil's design for free software:
>>> http://thorwil.wordpress.com/
>>>
>> Regards!
>> Laura

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2018-10-31 10:31                             ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-10-31 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 7:27 AM Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Laura,
>

> Recently we were having problems on our build farms, you could try
> guix pull --substitute-urls="https://berlin.guixsd.org", berlin is
> back online just for about and hour, or so. Sorry about that.

Yes, I read that thread, did not know if that had impact on the guix pull
stuff. I will try with this now :)

> Best regards,
> g_bor

Regards!
Laura

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2018-10-31 11:07                               ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-31 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Laura,

I've just installed guix on debian.
What I did: installed guix using the script, then guix pulled.
Then did what it said on the final line: added to $PATH the
.config/guix/current/bin stuff.
I also added that to the thne non-existent .bash_profile
Then ran guix pull again, it did the profile migration.
Then ran guix pull again, and it did not want to do the profile
migration any more.

I will report back, once guix gets an update and the next guix pull
does something,
but it looks good so far.

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2018-10-31 11:15                                 ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-10-31 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 8:08 AM Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Laura,
>
> I've just installed guix on debian.
> What I did: installed guix using the script, then guix pulled.
> Then did what it said on the final line: added to $PATH the
> .config/guix/current/bin stuff.
> I also added that to the thne non-existent .bash_profile
> Then ran guix pull again, it did the profile migration.
> Then ran guix pull again, and it did not want to do the profile
> migration any more.

Yes, that were the steps I followed and tried different in between. Please
let me know when it works for you, because I am wasting too many days stuck
with this.
I will write you on another thread now :)

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2018-10-31 11:52                                   ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-31 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Laura,

It took me some time time to get this working, as
there are some confusions around the startup files, so here it goes:

There is no need for .bash_profile, I added the PATH export to:
.profile : to have it when logging in through ssh or on the console.
(this file did exists)
.xsessionrc : to have them when I start a terminal on my desktop (it is xfce)
(i had to create this file)

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2018-10-31 12:29                                     ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-10-31 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: guix-devel

@ 2018-10-31 16:02                                     ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-10-31 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi!

> There is no need for .bash_profile, I added the PATH export to:
> .profile : to have it when logging in through ssh or on the console.
> (this file did exists)

I had done this too in the first place. However, checked opening a tty and
still had the same problem.
I went back to one of the first snapshots before running guix pull for the
first time - as regards my work on later ones, I have a shared folder to my
host and I drop there files from later snapshots. Hope this time works!
Regards!
Laura

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2018-10-31 16:25                                       ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-31 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Laura,

I've found that adding to xsessionrc
is what made it work for me, I actually tried to source the
GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile, but I could not make that work reliably
(seemingly .xsessionrc dost not cut the bill here).
I guess I could make it working by adding to bashrc, but I feel that
it is not the good thing to do...

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
okt. 31., Sze, 17:03):

@ 2018-10-31 18:09                                         ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-10-31 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

> I've found that adding to xsessionrc
> is what made it work for me, I actually tried to source the
> GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile, but I could not make that work reliably
> (seemingly .xsessionrc dost not cut the bill here)

Did you just create the file adding the export PATH line that is also in
.profile and that's it in the user's home folder? I've never had to deal
with .xsessionrc before, I am reading different sites on the web, but maybe
I am doing something not in the right way.
Just in case something went wrong in between, I am following your steps,
and documenting it.

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2018-10-31 19:03                                           ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-31 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Laura,

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
okt. 31., Sze, 19:10):

>> I've found that adding to xsessionrc
>> is what made it work for me, I actually tried to source the
>> GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile, but I could not make that work reliably
>> (seemingly .xsessionrc dost not cut the bill here)
>
> Did you just create the file adding the export PATH line that is also in .profile and that's it in the user's home folder? I've never had to deal with .xsessionrc before, I am reading different sites on the web, but maybe I am doing something not in the right way.

yes, exactly.

> Just in case something went wrong in between, I am following your steps, and documenting it.
>
> Regards :)
> Laura

Now I am trying to get the official way working, that is by sourcing
~/.guix-profile/etc/profile, but it does not seem to work yet.
(I could of course just source it manually whenever I start a
terminal, but this does not feel comfortable)
I will have a look if I can simply get it working using . instead of
source, or any other reasonable way.
(Guix prepares most of the recommended environment variables there)

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2018-11-01  2:09                                             ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-11-01  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

Now I am trying to get the official way working, that is by sourcing
> ~/.guix-profile/etc/profile, but it does not seem to work yet.
> (I could of course just source it manually whenever I start a
> terminal, but this does not feel comfortable)
> I will have a look if I can simply get it working using . instead of
> source, or any other reasonable way.
> (Guix prepares most of the recommended environment variables there)
>
> With my almost fresh VM, I tried
guix pull --substitute-urls="https://berlin.guixsd.org"
And about two hours ago I had it updated.
Exported the PATH env on mi cli, added it to .profile.
Then ran guix pull -l
And got:
Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laura'...
Generation 1    Oct 31 2018 19:44:03    (current)

guix c16913d

    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git

    branch: origin/master

    commit: c16913d34df610f5e1560ab8da953e32b3a4e7d7

Generation 2    Oct 31 2018 21:30:12    (current)
  guix c16913d
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: master
    commit: c16913d34df610f5e1560ab8da953e32b3a4e7d7
And then tried guix pull again (always with substitute) The only difference
was this output by the end:

Computing Guix derivation for 'x86_64-linux'... \

nothing to be done
I don't know if this was the output you were getting. But it is different
from what I was getting before.

Regards :)

Laura

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2018-11-01  8:49                                               ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-11-01  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Laura,

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
nov. 1., Cs, 3:09):

>> Now I am trying to get the official way working, that is by sourcing
>> ~/.guix-profile/etc/profile, but it does not seem to work yet.
>> (I could of course just source it manually whenever I start a
>> terminal, but this does not feel comfortable)
>> I will have a look if I can simply get it working using . instead of
>> source, or any other reasonable way.
>> (Guix prepares most of the recommended environment variables there)
>>
> With my almost fresh VM, I tried
> guix pull --substitute-urls="https://berlin.guixsd.org"
> And about two hours ago I had it updated.
> Exported the PATH env on mi cli, added it to .profile.
> Then ran guix pull -l
> And got:
> Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laura'...
> Generation 1    Oct 31 2018 19:44:03    (current)
>
> guix c16913d
>
>     repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
>
>     branch: origin/master
>
>     commit: c16913d34df610f5e1560ab8da953e32b3a4e7d7
>

> Generation 2    Oct 31 2018 21:30:12    (current)
>   guix c16913d
>     repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
>     branch: master
>     commit: c16913d34df610f5e1560ab8da953e32b3a4e7d7
> And then tried guix pull again (always with substitute) The only difference was this output by the end:
>
> Computing Guix derivation for 'x86_64-linux'... \
>
> nothing to be done
>
> I don't know if this was the output you were getting. But it is different from what I was getting before.
>
> Regards :)
>
> Laura

This seems to be ok so far :)

I have a question, do you still use VirtualBox for the VM-s?
If it is so, maybe you could have a look at this thread:
*** TRYING TO INSTALL GUIXSD v0.15.0 FOR DAYS ***
they are experiencing the hang in the guile test suite on
VirtualBox.

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2018-11-01 11:37                                                 ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-11-01 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi!

> I have a question, do you still use VirtualBox for the VM-s?

Yes, in my TODO list I have: stop using Vbox, maybe KVM?

> If it is so, maybe you could have a look at this thread:
> *** TRYING TO INSTALL GUIXSD v0.15.0 FOR DAYS ***
> they are experiencing the hang in the guile test suite on
> VirtualBox.

Thanks, that would have been really helpful.  But I have been looking for
it in the guix-devel archive and can't find it (used the expressions
suggested)

> Best regards,
> g_bor

Regards!
Laura

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2018-11-01 11:48                                                   ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-11-01 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
nov. 1., Cs, 12:38):

> Hi!
>>
>> I have a question, do you still use VirtualBox for the VM-s?
>
> Yes, in my TODO list I have: stop using Vbox, maybe KVM?
>>
>> If it is so, maybe you could have a look at this thread:
>> *** TRYING TO INSTALL GUIXSD v0.15.0 FOR DAYS ***
>> they are experiencing the hang in the guile test suite on
>> VirtualBox.

Sorry, didn't write that, it's on the help-guix list.

@ 2018-11-01 17:51                                                     ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-11-01 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

Ok, I will take a look. :)

* guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2020-01-18 21:11 Jimmy Thrasibule
From: Jimmy Thrasibule @ 2020-01-18 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

I'm working on an Alpine Docker image with the Guix package manager [1].
The container is building and can run Guix without the ``--privileged``
option.

The installation process is based on the documentation and the installation
script [2]. Everything is working fine however, when I run ``guix pull`` in
the generated image, I got the following error:

    Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root'...
    guix pull: error: symlink: File exists: "
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix"

This issue has already been discussed at [3] but the workaround to delete
all the links in the directory ``/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root`` is
causing some troubles:

1. If I want to ship a ready to use image and delete the links upfront,
``guix daemon`` will fail to start since ``/root/.config/guix/current`` is
broken.
2. Users of the image can delete the links themselves but this is not
really friendly.

So what is exactly causing this error and what would be a good option to
fix it?

[1] https://hub.docker.com/repository/docker/x237net/alpine-guix
[2] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/plain/etc/guix-install.sh
[3] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2018-12/msg00098.html

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2020-01-19 18:54 ` Jimmy Thrasibule
From: Jimmy Thrasibule @ 2020-01-19 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I tried some actions and here is what happening:

    # ls -l .config/guix/
    total 0
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            45 Jan 19 18:33 current ->
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix
    # guix pull
    Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/default'...
    Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at '
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
    [...]

When ``.config/guix/current`` is pointing to
``/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix``, the ``guix pull``
command will change the link to `` /var/guix/profiles/default`` or the
other way arround.

Calling ``guix pull`` again will fail:

    # ls -l .config/guix/
    total 0
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            39 Jan 19 18:37 current ->
/var/guix/profiles/default/current-guix
    # guix pull
    Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root'...
    guix pull: error: symlink: File exists:
"/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix"

The workaround is to link back the profile to ``per-user/root`` and delete
``/var/guix/profiles/default/current-guix*``.

It is not clear why Guix is constantly swapping the profiles this way.

@ 2020-01-20  9:29   ` Jimmy Thrasibule
From: Jimmy Thrasibule @ 2020-01-20  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

OK, so following the discussion at https://issues.guix.info/issue/39195, my
container was missing the $USER environment variable so Guix was failing
back to the "default" profile. Once $USER is set to "root" my current user
in this context, Guix is not complaining about the profiles anymore.

@ 2020-01-20 17:21     ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-01-20 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jimmy; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Jimmy,

On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 at 10:30, Jimmy Thrasibule
<jimmy.thrasibule@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, so following the discussion at https://issues.guix.info/issue/39195, my
> container was missing the $USER environment variable so Guix was failing
> back to the "default" profile. Once $USER is set to "root" my current user
> in this context, Guix is not complaining about the profiles anymore.

I think it is solved now. I guess.
At least, the issue had been discussed in this thread [1] and fixed by
c20ba18304ee63f01895f092bb51bc2a9ce3303b.

You installed from v1.0.1, that's why. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Hope that the binary install will be updated soon using the fix. :-)

All the best,
simon

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-11/msg00540.html