all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2018-10-30 20:02                     ` Thorsten Wilms
From: Thorsten Wilms @ 2018-10-30 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

On 30/10/2018 19.16, Laura Lazzati wrote:
>         At the same time, a `sudo guix pull` works fine.
>

>     Thanks for this finding.
>
> Sorry, I thought this fixed it for me too, but now every time I run an
> installed package, I get that guix is 18 days old,  asks me to guix
> pull, and if I run even the hello package, i get that it is not
> installed and claims to install it with, in my case, apt.

Sorry Laura, I did not mean to suggest that this was a fix. It's just
that `guix pull` for the root profile stayed functional. My own plain
user `guix pull` still results in the same old:

Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/thorwil'...
guix pull: error: symlink: File exists:
"/var/guix/profiles/per-user/thorwil/current-guix-1-link"

Looking for an explanation for having user and root profile guix, since
you seem to be unaware of how that works and I can't be sure of my own
understanding, I found something related:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2017-10/msg00014.html

Thing is, I did
`ln -s /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix
/usr/local/bin/guix`
during installation and that symlink is still intact. Yet, `guix pull`
and `sudo guix pull` are markedly different.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2018-10-30 22:43                       ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-10-30 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: t_w_; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 5:05 PM Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@freenet.de> wrote:

> Looking for an explanation for having user and root profile guix, since
> you seem to be unaware of how that works and I can't be sure of my own
> understanding, I found something related:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2017-10/msg00014.html
>
> Thing is, I did
> `ln -s /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix
> /usr/local/bin/guix`
> during installation and that symlink is still intact. Yet, `guix pull`
> and `sudo guix pull` are markedly different.

I see, then I will try to go back to my VM snapshot before I first made a
guix pull when trying commands  - then I don't understand why the first
time it worked for me - and make the symlink, because I need to have it
working, and I would like to have it for my user - yes my user can run
sudo, but that's not the point - :(

> --
> Thorsten Wilms
>
> thorwil's design for free software:
> http://thorwil.wordpress.com/
>
> Regards!
Laura

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2018-10-31 10:06                         ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-10-31 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: t_w_; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi!
On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 7:43 PM Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 5:05 PM Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@freenet.de> wrote:
>
>> Thing is, I did
>> `ln -s /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix
>> /usr/local/bin/guix`
>> during installation and that symlink is still intact. Yet, `guix pull`
>> and `sudo guix pull` are markedly different
>
> I restored my VM with guix over a foreing distro.
I already had this:
cd /usr/local/bin
 ll | grep guix
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   54 oct  7 14:07 guix ->
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix*
However, when I run sudo guix pull - at least when I tried after asking for
help with this issue, it kind of takes all day long, and it ends up like
stuck somewhere testing guile, When I first ran guix pull it just took a
while

@ 2018-10-31 10:27                           ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-31 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Laura,

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
okt. 31., Sze, 11:08):

> Hi!
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 7:43 PM Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 5:05 PM Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@freenet.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thing is, I did
>>> `ln -s /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix
>>> /usr/local/bin/guix`
>>> during installation and that symlink is still intact. Yet, `guix pull`
>>> and `sudo guix pull` are markedly different
>
> I restored my VM with guix over a foreing distro.
> I already had this:
> cd /usr/local/bin
>  ll | grep guix
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   54 oct  7 14:07 guix -> /var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/bin/guix*
> However, when I run sudo guix pull - at least when I tried after asking for help with this issue, it kind of takes all day long, and it ends up like stuck somewhere testing guile, When I first ran guix pull it just took a while

Recently we were having problems on our build farms, you could try
guix pull --substitute-urls="https://berlin.guixsd.org", berlin is
back online just for about and hour, or so. Sorry about that.

>>> --
>>> Thorsten Wilms
>>>
>>> thorwil's design for free software:
>>> http://thorwil.wordpress.com/
>>>
>> Regards!
>> Laura

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2018-10-31 10:31                             ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-10-31 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 7:27 AM Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Laura,
>

> Recently we were having problems on our build farms, you could try
> guix pull --substitute-urls="https://berlin.guixsd.org", berlin is
> back online just for about and hour, or so. Sorry about that.

Yes, I read that thread, did not know if that had impact on the guix pull
stuff. I will try with this now :)

> Best regards,
> g_bor

Regards!
Laura

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2018-10-31 11:07                               ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-31 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Laura,

I've just installed guix on debian.
What I did: installed guix using the script, then guix pulled.
Then did what it said on the final line: added to $PATH the
.config/guix/current/bin stuff.
I also added that to the thne non-existent .bash_profile
Then ran guix pull again, it did the profile migration.
Then ran guix pull again, and it did not want to do the profile
migration any more.

I will report back, once guix gets an update and the next guix pull
does something,
but it looks good so far.

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2018-10-31 11:15                                 ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-10-31 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 8:08 AM Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Laura,
>
> I've just installed guix on debian.
> What I did: installed guix using the script, then guix pulled.
> Then did what it said on the final line: added to $PATH the
> .config/guix/current/bin stuff.
> I also added that to the thne non-existent .bash_profile
> Then ran guix pull again, it did the profile migration.
> Then ran guix pull again, and it did not want to do the profile
> migration any more.

Yes, that were the steps I followed and tried different in between. Please
let me know when it works for you, because I am wasting too many days stuck
with this.
I will write you on another thread now :)

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2018-10-31 11:52                                   ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-31 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Laura,

It took me some time time to get this working, as
there are some confusions around the startup files, so here it goes:

There is no need for .bash_profile, I added the PATH export to:
.profile : to have it when logging in through ssh or on the console.
(this file did exists)
.xsessionrc : to have them when I start a terminal on my desktop (it is xfce)
(i had to create this file)

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2018-10-31 12:29                                     ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2018-10-31 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: guix-devel

@ 2018-10-31 16:02                                     ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-10-31 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi!

> There is no need for .bash_profile, I added the PATH export to:
> .profile : to have it when logging in through ssh or on the console.
> (this file did exists)

I had done this too in the first place. However, checked opening a tty and
still had the same problem.
I went back to one of the first snapshots before running guix pull for the
first time - as regards my work on later ones, I have a shared folder to my
host and I drop there files from later snapshots. Hope this time works!
Regards!
Laura

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2018-10-31 16:25                                       ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-31 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Laura,

I've found that adding to xsessionrc
is what made it work for me, I actually tried to source the
GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile, but I could not make that work reliably
(seemingly .xsessionrc dost not cut the bill here).
I guess I could make it working by adding to bashrc, but I feel that
it is not the good thing to do...

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
okt. 31., Sze, 17:03):

@ 2018-10-31 18:09                                         ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-10-31 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

> I've found that adding to xsessionrc
> is what made it work for me, I actually tried to source the
> GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile, but I could not make that work reliably
> (seemingly .xsessionrc dost not cut the bill here)

Did you just create the file adding the export PATH line that is also in
.profile and that's it in the user's home folder? I've never had to deal
with .xsessionrc before, I am reading different sites on the web, but maybe
I am doing something not in the right way.
Just in case something went wrong in between, I am following your steps,
and documenting it.

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2018-10-31 19:03                                           ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-31 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Laura,

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
okt. 31., Sze, 19:10):

>> I've found that adding to xsessionrc
>> is what made it work for me, I actually tried to source the
>> GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile, but I could not make that work reliably
>> (seemingly .xsessionrc dost not cut the bill here)
>
> Did you just create the file adding the export PATH line that is also in .profile and that's it in the user's home folder? I've never had to deal with .xsessionrc before, I am reading different sites on the web, but maybe I am doing something not in the right way.

yes, exactly.

> Just in case something went wrong in between, I am following your steps, and documenting it.
>
> Regards :)
> Laura

Now I am trying to get the official way working, that is by sourcing
~/.guix-profile/etc/profile, but it does not seem to work yet.
(I could of course just source it manually whenever I start a
terminal, but this does not feel comfortable)
I will have a look if I can simply get it working using . instead of
source, or any other reasonable way.
(Guix prepares most of the recommended environment variables there)

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2018-11-01  2:09                                             ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-11-01  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

Now I am trying to get the official way working, that is by sourcing
> ~/.guix-profile/etc/profile, but it does not seem to work yet.
> (I could of course just source it manually whenever I start a
> terminal, but this does not feel comfortable)
> I will have a look if I can simply get it working using . instead of
> source, or any other reasonable way.
> (Guix prepares most of the recommended environment variables there)
>
> With my almost fresh VM, I tried
guix pull --substitute-urls="https://berlin.guixsd.org"
And about two hours ago I had it updated.
Exported the PATH env on mi cli, added it to .profile.
Then ran guix pull -l
And got:
Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laura'...
Generation 1    Oct 31 2018 19:44:03    (current)

guix c16913d

    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git

    branch: origin/master

    commit: c16913d34df610f5e1560ab8da953e32b3a4e7d7

Generation 2    Oct 31 2018 21:30:12    (current)
  guix c16913d
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: master
    commit: c16913d34df610f5e1560ab8da953e32b3a4e7d7
And then tried guix pull again (always with substitute) The only difference
was this output by the end:

Computing Guix derivation for 'x86_64-linux'... \

nothing to be done
I don't know if this was the output you were getting. But it is different
from what I was getting before.

Regards :)

Laura

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2018-11-01  8:49                                               ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-11-01  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Laura,

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
nov. 1., Cs, 3:09):

>> Now I am trying to get the official way working, that is by sourcing
>> ~/.guix-profile/etc/profile, but it does not seem to work yet.
>> (I could of course just source it manually whenever I start a
>> terminal, but this does not feel comfortable)
>> I will have a look if I can simply get it working using . instead of
>> source, or any other reasonable way.
>> (Guix prepares most of the recommended environment variables there)
>>
> With my almost fresh VM, I tried
> guix pull --substitute-urls="https://berlin.guixsd.org"
> And about two hours ago I had it updated.
> Exported the PATH env on mi cli, added it to .profile.
> Then ran guix pull -l
> And got:
> Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laura'...
> Generation 1    Oct 31 2018 19:44:03    (current)
>
> guix c16913d
>
>     repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
>
>     branch: origin/master
>
>     commit: c16913d34df610f5e1560ab8da953e32b3a4e7d7
>

> Generation 2    Oct 31 2018 21:30:12    (current)
>   guix c16913d
>     repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
>     branch: master
>     commit: c16913d34df610f5e1560ab8da953e32b3a4e7d7
> And then tried guix pull again (always with substitute) The only difference was this output by the end:
>
> Computing Guix derivation for 'x86_64-linux'... \
>
> nothing to be done
>
> I don't know if this was the output you were getting. But it is different from what I was getting before.
>
> Regards :)
>
> Laura

This seems to be ok so far :)

I have a question, do you still use VirtualBox for the VM-s?
If it is so, maybe you could have a look at this thread:
*** TRYING TO INSTALL GUIXSD v0.15.0 FOR DAYS ***
they are experiencing the hang in the guile test suite on
VirtualBox.

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2018-11-01 11:37                                                 ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-11-01 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi!

> I have a question, do you still use VirtualBox for the VM-s?

Yes, in my TODO list I have: stop using Vbox, maybe KVM?

> If it is so, maybe you could have a look at this thread:
> *** TRYING TO INSTALL GUIXSD v0.15.0 FOR DAYS ***
> they are experiencing the hang in the guile test suite on
> VirtualBox.

Thanks, that would have been really helpful.  But I have been looking for
it in the guix-devel archive and can't find it (used the expressions
suggested)

> Best regards,
> g_bor

Regards!
Laura

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2018-11-01 11:48                                                   ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-11-01 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
nov. 1., Cs, 12:38):

> Hi!
>>
>> I have a question, do you still use VirtualBox for the VM-s?
>
> Yes, in my TODO list I have: stop using Vbox, maybe KVM?
>>
>> If it is so, maybe you could have a look at this thread:
>> *** TRYING TO INSTALL GUIXSD v0.15.0 FOR DAYS ***
>> they are experiencing the hang in the guile test suite on
>> VirtualBox.

Sorry, didn't write that, it's on the help-guix list.

@ 2018-11-01 17:51                                                     ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-11-01 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

Ok, I will take a look. :)

* guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2020-01-18 21:11 Jimmy Thrasibule
From: Jimmy Thrasibule @ 2020-01-18 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

I'm working on an Alpine Docker image with the Guix package manager [1].
The container is building and can run Guix without the ``--privileged``
option.

The installation process is based on the documentation and the installation
script [2]. Everything is working fine however, when I run ``guix pull`` in
the generated image, I got the following error:

    Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root'...
    guix pull: error: symlink: File exists: "
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix"

This issue has already been discussed at [3] but the workaround to delete
all the links in the directory ``/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root`` is
causing some troubles:

1. If I want to ship a ready to use image and delete the links upfront,
``guix daemon`` will fail to start since ``/root/.config/guix/current`` is
broken.
2. Users of the image can delete the links themselves but this is not
really friendly.

So what is exactly causing this error and what would be a good option to
fix it?

[1] https://hub.docker.com/repository/docker/x237net/alpine-guix
[2] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/plain/etc/guix-install.sh
[3] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2018-12/msg00098.html

* Re: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists
@ 2020-01-19 18:54 ` Jimmy Thrasibule
From: Jimmy Thrasibule @ 2020-01-19 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I tried some actions and here is what happening:

    # ls -l .config/guix/
    total 0
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            45 Jan 19 18:33 current ->
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix
    # guix pull
    Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/default'...
    Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at '
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
    [...]

When ``.config/guix/current`` is pointing to
``/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix``, the ``guix pull``
command will change the link to `` /var/guix/profiles/default`` or the
other way arround.

Calling ``guix pull`` again will fail:

    # ls -l .config/guix/
    total 0
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            39 Jan 19 18:37 current ->
/var/guix/profiles/default/current-guix
    # guix pull
    Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root'...
    guix pull: error: symlink: File exists:
"/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix"

The workaround is to link back the profile to ``per-user/root`` and delete
``/var/guix/profiles/default/current-guix*``.

It is not clear why Guix is constantly swapping the profiles this way.

@ 2020-01-20  9:29   ` Jimmy Thrasibule
From: Jimmy Thrasibule @ 2020-01-20  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

OK, so following the discussion at https://issues.guix.info/issue/39195, my
container was missing the $USER environment variable so Guix was failing
back to the "default" profile. Once $USER is set to "root" my current user
in this context, Guix is not complaining about the profiles anymore.

@ 2020-01-20 17:21     ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-01-20 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jimmy; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Jimmy,

On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 at 10:30, Jimmy Thrasibule
<jimmy.thrasibule@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, so following the discussion at https://issues.guix.info/issue/39195, my
> container was missing the $USER environment variable so Guix was failing
> back to the "default" profile. Once $USER is set to "root" my current user
> in this context, Guix is not complaining about the profiles anymore.

I think it is solved now. I guess.
At least, the issue had been discussed in this thread [1] and fixed by
c20ba18304ee63f01895f092bb51bc2a9ce3303b.

You installed from v1.0.1, that's why. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Hope that the binary install will be updated soon using the fix. :-)

All the best,
simon

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-11/msg00540.html