all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-02-14  9:05 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-02-14  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix!

Since I’m about to leave keyboard for a couple of weeks, here’s a to-do
list for those of you who’ll be around.  :-)

The last things I wanted to push for ‘core-updates’ were a reproducible
Guile (done in b5efd14a9add1bcb4a44fa5b9c1b47706f3df9da), and a subset
or all of the aarch64 patches, depending on their status (should not be
a blocker IMO).

So, here’s a plan:

  • Once Efraim has pushed some of the aarch64 patches, do another
    evaluation of the “core” package set for that branch, and check for
    anything wrong.  From there on, forbid full-rebuild changes.

  • Once the “core” subset builds correctly on all the supported
    platforms (those that Hydra supports), merge ‘master’.  Maybe update
    a couple of things like GnuTLS while we’re at it.  From there on
    forbid non-trivial changes.

  • Build all the packages.  (To do that, someone with access to Hydra
    must change the “subset” argument to “all” in the config of the
    ‘core-updates’ jobset.)

  • Fix things.

  • Once most regressions have been addressed and most binaries are
    available, merge ‘core-updates’ into ‘master’.

How does that sound?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-02-14 15:00 ` Marius Bakke
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Marius Bakke @ 2017-02-14 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hello Guix!
>
> Since I’m about to leave keyboard for a couple of weeks, here’s a to-do
> list for those of you who’ll be around.  :-)
>
> The last things I wanted to push for ‘core-updates’ were a reproducible
> Guile (done in b5efd14a9add1bcb4a44fa5b9c1b47706f3df9da), and a subset
> or all of the aarch64 patches, depending on their status (should not be
> a blocker IMO).
>
> So, here’s a plan:
>
>   • Once Efraim has pushed some of the aarch64 patches, do another
>     evaluation of the “core” package set for that branch, and check for
>     anything wrong.  From there on, forbid full-rebuild changes.
>
>   • Once the “core” subset builds correctly on all the supported
>     platforms (those that Hydra supports), merge ‘master’.  Maybe update
>     a couple of things like GnuTLS while we’re at it.  From there on
>     forbid non-trivial changes.
>
>   • Build all the packages.  (To do that, someone with access to Hydra
>     must change the “subset” argument to “all” in the config of the
>     ‘core-updates’ jobset.)
>
>   • Fix things.
>
>   • Once most regressions have been addressed and most binaries are
>     available, merge ‘core-updates’ into ‘master’.
>
> How does that sound?

This sounds great. I have a question:

The 'staging' branch contains a number of minor updates and it's been
more than a month since the last merge. Should we do a staging
evaluation first (i.e. next few days), or just merge it to core-updates?

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-02-14 16:22   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-02-14 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

Hey Marius,

Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Hello Guix!
>>
>> Since I’m about to leave keyboard for a couple of weeks, here’s a to-do
>> list for those of you who’ll be around.  :-)
>>
>> The last things I wanted to push for ‘core-updates’ were a reproducible
>> Guile (done in b5efd14a9add1bcb4a44fa5b9c1b47706f3df9da), and a subset
>> or all of the aarch64 patches, depending on their status (should not be
>> a blocker IMO).
>>
>> So, here’s a plan:
>>
>>   • Once Efraim has pushed some of the aarch64 patches, do another
>>     evaluation of the “core” package set for that branch, and check for
>>     anything wrong.  From there on, forbid full-rebuild changes.
>>
>>   • Once the “core” subset builds correctly on all the supported
>>     platforms (those that Hydra supports), merge ‘master’.  Maybe update
>>     a couple of things like GnuTLS while we’re at it.  From there on
>>     forbid non-trivial changes.
>>
>>   • Build all the packages.  (To do that, someone with access to Hydra
>>     must change the “subset” argument to “all” in the config of the
>>     ‘core-updates’ jobset.)
>>
>>   • Fix things.
>>
>>   • Once most regressions have been addressed and most binaries are
>>     available, merge ‘core-updates’ into ‘master’.
>>
>> How does that sound?
>
> This sounds great. I have a question:
>
> The 'staging' branch contains a number of minor updates and it's been
> more than a month since the last merge. Should we do a staging
> evaluation first (i.e. next few days), or just merge it to core-updates?

Good point.  I’d just merge it into ‘core-updates’ at this point.

@ 2017-02-21 14:03     ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2017-02-21 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hey Marius,
>
> Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> skribis:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>> Hello Guix!
>>>
>>> Since I’m about to leave keyboard for a couple of weeks, here’s a to-do
>>> list for those of you who’ll be around.  :-)
>>>
>>> The last things I wanted to push for ‘core-updates’ were a reproducible
>>> Guile (done in b5efd14a9add1bcb4a44fa5b9c1b47706f3df9da), and a subset
>>> or all of the aarch64 patches, depending on their status (should not be
>>> a blocker IMO).
>>>
>>> So, here’s a plan:
>>>
>>>   • Once Efraim has pushed some of the aarch64 patches, do another
>>>     evaluation of the “core” package set for that branch, and check for
>>>     anything wrong.  From there on, forbid full-rebuild changes.
>>>
>>>   • Once the “core” subset builds correctly on all the supported
>>>     platforms (those that Hydra supports), merge ‘master’.  Maybe update
>>>     a couple of things like GnuTLS while we’re at it.  From there on
>>>     forbid non-trivial changes.
>>>
>>>   • Build all the packages.  (To do that, someone with access to Hydra
>>>     must change the “subset” argument to “all” in the config of the
>>>     ‘core-updates’ jobset.)
>>>
>>>   • Fix things.
>>>
>>>   • Once most regressions have been addressed and most binaries are
>>>     available, merge ‘core-updates’ into ‘master’.
>>>
>>> How does that sound?
>>
>> This sounds great. I have a question:
>>
>> The 'staging' branch contains a number of minor updates and it's been
>> more than a month since the last merge. Should we do a staging
>> evaluation first (i.e. next few days), or just merge it to core-updates?
>
> Good point.  I’d just merge it into ‘core-updates’ at this point.

I believe Efraim has pushed the remaining aarch64 patches, and I just
merged in the updates from staging, as well as an xorg and cmake update.

I think we're ready to build the "core" package set now. Mark, Leo?

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-02-21 16:27       ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2017-02-21 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 03:03:52PM +0100, Marius Bakke wrote:
> I believe Efraim has pushed the remaining aarch64 patches, and I just
> merged in the updates from staging, as well as an xorg and cmake update.
>
> I think we're ready to build the "core" package set now.

thanks to all who helped advance core-updates! I just started a new
evaluation.

However, it looks as if all our mips build machines are currently offline.
Mark, could you have a look, please? Or should we simply disregard mips
for this cycle?

Andreas

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-02-21 17:32       ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-02-21 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 03:03:52PM +0100, Marius Bakke wrote:
> I believe Efraim has pushed the remaining aarch64 patches, and I just
> merged in the updates from staging, as well as an xorg and cmake update.
>
> I think we're ready to build the "core" package set now. Mark, Leo?

I think we should start, too.

One last question: do you think we should take the rest of the changes
from my xorg branch?

https://github.com/lfam/guix/commits/contrib-xorg-server

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-02-21 17:41         ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-02-21 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 12:32:01PM -0500, Leo Famulari wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 03:03:52PM +0100, Marius Bakke wrote:
> > I believe Efraim has pushed the remaining aarch64 patches, and I just
> > merged in the updates from staging, as well as an xorg and cmake update.
> >
> > I think we're ready to build the "core" package set now. Mark, Leo?
>
> I think we should start, too.
>
> One last question: do you think we should take the rest of the changes
> from my xorg branch?
>
> https://github.com/lfam/guix/commits/contrib-xorg-server

I didn't realize that you already got most of the changes. I pushed the
last two from my branch.

I'll give python-tests more time before starting the core-updates
evaluation.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* core-updates frozen!
@ 2017-02-27 20:30 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-02-27 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 10:05:04AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> So, here’s a plan:
>
>   • Once Efraim has pushed some of the aarch64 patches, do another
>     evaluation of the “core” package set for that branch, and check for
>     anything wrong.  From there on, forbid full-rebuild changes.

Let's freeze core-updates and try to build it. No more rebuild the world
changes except to fix breakage.

>   • Once the “core” subset builds correctly on all the supported
>     platforms (those that Hydra supports), merge ‘master’.  Maybe update
>     a couple of things like GnuTLS while we’re at it.  From there on
>     forbid non-trivial changes.
>
>   • Build all the packages.  (To do that, someone with access to Hydra
>     must change the “subset” argument to “all” in the config of the
>     ‘core-updates’ jobset.)
>
>   • Fix things.
>
>   • Once most regressions have been addressed and most binaries are
>     available, merge ‘core-updates’ into ‘master’.
>
> How does that sound?
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

* Re: core-updates frozen!
@ 2017-03-02 17:34   ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-03-02 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 03:30:59PM -0500, Leo Famulari wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 10:05:04AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> > So, here’s a plan:
> >
> >   • Once Efraim has pushed some of the aarch64 patches, do another
> >     evaluation of the “core” package set for that branch, and check for
> >     anything wrong.  From there on, forbid full-rebuild changes.
>
> Let's freeze core-updates and try to build it. No more rebuild the world
> changes except to fix breakage.

Once these changes are pushed, I'll start a new evaluation:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-03/msg00063.html

Please, no more rebuild the world changes except to fix breakage in the
core packages.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: core-updates frozen!
@ 2017-03-03  0:02     ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2017-03-03  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari, guix-devel

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 03:30:59PM -0500, Leo Famulari wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 10:05:04AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> > So, here’s a plan:
>> >
>> >   • Once Efraim has pushed some of the aarch64 patches, do another
>> >     evaluation of the “core” package set for that branch, and check for
>> >     anything wrong.  From there on, forbid full-rebuild changes.
>>
>> Let's freeze core-updates and try to build it. No more rebuild the world
>> changes except to fix breakage.
>
> Once these changes are pushed, I'll start a new evaluation:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-03/msg00063.html
>
> Please, no more rebuild the world changes except to fix breakage in the
> core packages.

xorg-server@1.19.2 was *just* released[0] and contains some important
bug fixes (notably CVE-2017-2624).

[0] https://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-announce/2017-March/002779.html

AFAICT it has not been built yet on Hydra since it's not part of the
"core" package set. Is it okay to push?

Unfortunately I have not been able to backport the fix to 1.18.4.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: core-updates frozen!
@ 2017-03-03 18:27       ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-03-03 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

On Fri, Mar 03, 2017 at 01:02:04AM +0100, Marius Bakke wrote:
> Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:
> > Once these changes are pushed, I'll start a new evaluation:
> >
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-03/msg00063.html
> >
> > Please, no more rebuild the world changes except to fix breakage in the
> > core packages.
>
> xorg-server@1.19.2 was *just* released[0] and contains some important
> bug fixes (notably CVE-2017-2624).
>
> [0] https://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-announce/2017-March/002779.html

It looks like a relatively small set of changes.

> AFAICT it has not been built yet on Hydra since it's not part of the
> "core" package set. Is it okay to push?

xorg-server is not a core package, so I guess it's fine. I'll do the
update when pushing the libgd changes from the thread linked above.

I've been reconfiguring my GuixSD system on core-updates, so I've fixed
and then suffered breakage in a few non-core packages so far :)

At some arbitrary point we have to stop changing the branch and just
build it. Newer important updates will have to be grafted.

> Unfortunately I have not been able to backport the fix to 1.18.4.

Okay, hopefully we can figure it out or copy from another distro.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: core-updates frozen!
@ 2017-03-03 18:33         ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2017-03-03 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 03, 2017 at 01:02:04AM +0100, Marius Bakke wrote:
>> Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:
>> > Once these changes are pushed, I'll start a new evaluation:
>> >
>> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-03/msg00063.html
>> >
>> > Please, no more rebuild the world changes except to fix breakage in the
>> > core packages.
>>
>> xorg-server@1.19.2 was *just* released[0] and contains some important
>> bug fixes (notably CVE-2017-2624).
>>
>> [0] https://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-announce/2017-March/002779.html
>
> It looks like a relatively small set of changes.
>
>> AFAICT it has not been built yet on Hydra since it's not part of the
>> "core" package set. Is it okay to push?
>
> xorg-server is not a core package, so I guess it's fine. I'll do the
> update when pushing the libgd changes from the thread linked above.

Note that 1.19.3 will be released shortly since 1.19.2 had a release bug
that requires running `autoreconf`. See:

https://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-announce/2017-March/002780.html

> I've been reconfiguring my GuixSD system on core-updates, so I've fixed
> and then suffered breakage in a few non-core packages so far :)

Wow, nice :)

> At some arbitrary point we have to stop changing the branch and just
> build it. Newer important updates will have to be grafted.

Agreed. Let's do a full evaluation once Hydra settles down and then
*really* freeze it ;)

@ 2017-03-03 18:53           ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-03-03 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

On Fri, Mar 03, 2017 at 07:33:52PM +0100, Marius Bakke wrote:
> Note that 1.19.3 will be released shortly since 1.19.2 had a release bug
> that requires running `autoreconf`. See:
>
> https://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-announce/2017-March/002780.html

Ooookay :)

> > I've been reconfiguring my GuixSD system on core-updates, so I've fixed
> > and then suffered breakage in a few non-core packages so far :)
>
> Wow, nice :)

Note that I haven't succeeded yet. But I did reach the build of GRUB,
which failed to build.

> > At some arbitrary point we have to stop changing the branch and just
> > build it. Newer important updates will have to be grafted.
>
> Agreed. Let's do a full evaluation once Hydra settles down and then
> *really* freeze it ;)

Okay, but Hydra may never settle down!

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-03-06  9:19           ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-03-06  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello Guix!

Looks like there’s been a disk space issue a few days ago that’s now
solved, so I’ve restarted an evaluation of the “core” subset.

Is there any blocker left or should we move forward after that?

@ 2017-03-06 12:31             ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2017-03-06 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hello Guix!
>
> Looks like there’s been a disk space issue a few days ago that’s now
> solved, so I’ve restarted an evaluation of the “core” subset.
>
> Is there any blocker left or should we move forward after that?

We were waiting for the xorg-server 1.19.3 hotfix that was announced a
few days ago [0], but it hasn't been released yet.

I suggest we either run "autoreconf" in the build process of 1.19.2, or
graft 1.19.3 when available. Any preference?

[0] https://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-announce/2017-March/002780.html

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-03-06 15:39               ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-03-06 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Hello Guix!
>>
>> Looks like there’s been a disk space issue a few days ago that’s now
>> solved, so I’ve restarted an evaluation of the “core” subset.
>>
>> Is there any blocker left or should we move forward after that?
>
> We were waiting for the xorg-server 1.19.3 hotfix that was announced a
> few days ago [0], but it hasn't been released yet.
>
> I suggest we either run "autoreconf" in the build process of 1.19.2, or
> graft 1.19.3 when available. Any preference?
>
> [0] https://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-announce/2017-March/002780.html

It’s been 3 days since their message and it hasn’t happened yet, so
perhaps we should simply run autoreconf.

Thoughts?

BTW, xorg-server is a build-time dependency of gtk+@3 (for test
purposes), which is the main reason why it has so many dependents.
Perhaps it would be fine to keep using 1.9.12 for GTK+.  That way, we
can update xorg-server without rebuilding the world.

@ 2017-03-06 18:42             ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-03-06 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 10:19:34AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hello Guix!
>
> Looks like there’s been a disk space issue a few days ago that’s now
> solved, so I’ve restarted an evaluation of the “core” subset.
>
> Is there any blocker left or should we move forward after that?

Let's also decide what to do about GRUB. I updated it originally because
something (I forgot what) failed to build without a newer GRUB.

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-03-06 18:49               ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2017-03-06 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 10:19:34AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Hello Guix!
>>
>> Looks like there’s been a disk space issue a few days ago that’s now
>> solved, so I’ve restarted an evaluation of the “core” subset.
>>
>> Is there any blocker left or should we move forward after that?
>
> Let's also decide what to do about GRUB. I updated it originally because
> something (I forgot what) failed to build without a newer GRUB.

I think you meant "flex" here.

According to https://github.com/westes/flex/issues/162 , this commit
should fix the grub issue:

https://github.com/westes/flex/commit/f5d87f1a26f4a5c3402497008ae10e9a1345d327

Seeing as wireshark is apparently also affected according to the
upstream bug, I would suggest applying this fix on our flex package.

Alternatively package a "flex-for-grub" variant, but that's not very
re-usable.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-03-06 18:54                 ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2017-03-06 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> writes:

> Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 10:19:34AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>>> Hello Guix!
>>>
>>> Looks like there’s been a disk space issue a few days ago that’s now
>>> solved, so I’ve restarted an evaluation of the “core” subset.
>>>
>>> Is there any blocker left or should we move forward after that?
>>
>> Let's also decide what to do about GRUB. I updated it originally because
>> something (I forgot what) failed to build without a newer GRUB.
>
> I think you meant "flex" here.
>
> According to https://github.com/westes/flex/issues/162 , this commit
> should fix the grub issue:
>
> https://github.com/westes/flex/commit/f5d87f1a26f4a5c3402497008ae10e9a1345d327
>
> Seeing as wireshark is apparently also affected according to the
> upstream bug, I would suggest applying this fix on our flex package.

Another option is to keep version 2.6.2 around, which is better than a
specialized "flex-for-grub". If the previous version works for both grub
and wireshark, I prefer this alternative.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-03-06 18:54                 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-03-06 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 07:49:42PM +0100, Marius Bakke wrote:
> Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:
> > Let's also decide what to do about GRUB. I updated it originally because
> > something (I forgot what) failed to build without a newer GRUB.
>
> I think you meant "flex" here.

Yup! :p

> According to https://github.com/westes/flex/issues/162 , this commit
> should fix the grub issue:
>
> https://github.com/westes/flex/commit/f5d87f1a26f4a5c3402497008ae10e9a1345d327

I was wary of cherry-picking this due to the flex maintainer's comment:

"f5d87f1

should bwhat you want, but there are a couple others that are
related/relevant."

https://github.com/westes/flex/issues/162#issuecomment-274608469

But we can try it out on core-updates and see how it goes. Will you try
making the patch?

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-03-06 19:13                   ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-03-06 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 07:54:06PM +0100, Marius Bakke wrote:
> Another option is to keep version 2.6.2 around, which is better than a
> specialized "flex-for-grub". If the previous version works for both grub
> and wireshark, I prefer this alternative.

The choices are a bit overwhelming; there are problems with 2.6.2 as
well:

https://github.com/westes/flex/issues/134 (kservice broken)
https://github.com/westes/flex/issues/113 (doxygen broken)
https://github.com/westes/flex/issues/98 (flex tests fail)

2.6.4 is "due" today, although I'm not sure what changes could be
included:

https://github.com/westes/flex/milestones

We should not go back to anything before 2.6.1, due to CVE-2016-6354:

https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2016-6354

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-03-06 22:26                 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-03-06 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 04:39:56PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> It’s been 3 days since their message and it hasn’t happened yet, so
> perhaps we should simply run autoreconf.
>
> Thoughts?

Okay.

> BTW, xorg-server is a build-time dependency of gtk+@3 (for test
> purposes), which is the main reason why it has so many dependents.
> Perhaps it would be fine to keep using 1.9.12 for GTK+.  That way, we
> can update xorg-server without rebuilding the world.

Good idea. Should xorg-server-for-gtk inherit from xorg-server or be a
completely separate package? Or something else?

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-03-07 13:59                   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-03-07 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> skribis:

> On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 04:39:56PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> It’s been 3 days since their message and it hasn’t happened yet, so
>> perhaps we should simply run autoreconf.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> Okay.
>
>> BTW, xorg-server is a build-time dependency of gtk+@3 (for test
>> purposes), which is the main reason why it has so many dependents.
>> Perhaps it would be fine to keep using 1.9.12 for GTK+.  That way, we
>> can update xorg-server without rebuilding the world.
>
> Good idea. Should xorg-server-for-gtk inherit from xorg-server or be a
> completely separate package? Or something else?

I guess it could be called ‘xorg-server-1.9.12’ and technically inherit
from ‘xorg-server’ but override the version and source.

@ 2017-03-08  5:43                     ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-03-08  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Mar 07, 2017 at 02:59:39PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> I guess it could be called ‘xorg-server-1.9.12’ and technically inherit
> from ‘xorg-server’ but override the version and source.

I've attached patches updating xorg-server and creating a special
package to be used for building GTK+.

[-- Attachment #1.2: 0001-gnu-xorg-server-Update-to-1.19.2-fixes-CVE-2017-2624.patch --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2226 bytes --]

From 5e6cc8caaf7de4d8863f8f4ab64d8c9e7cbbfcaf Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 13:44:48 -0500
Subject: [PATCH 1/2] gnu: xorg-server: Update to 1.19.2 [fixes CVE-2017-2624].

* gnu/packages/xorg.scm (xorg-server): Update to 1.19.2.
[native-inputs]: Add font-util, libtool, autoconf, and automake.
[arguments]: Add 'bootstrap' phase.
---
 gnu/packages/xorg.scm | 15 ++++++++++++---

diff --git a/gnu/packages/xorg.scm b/gnu/packages/xorg.scm
index 31ea296d4..5c9300e20 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/xorg.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/xorg.scm
@@ -4982,7 +4982,7 @@ over Xlib, including:
 (define-public xorg-server
   (package
     (name "xorg-server")
-    (version "1.19.1")
+    (version "1.19.2")
     (source
       (origin
         (method url-fetch)
@@ -4991,7 +4991,7 @@ over Xlib, including:
               name "-" version ".tar.bz2"))
         (sha256
          (base32
-          "1yx7cnlhl14hsdq5lg0740s4nxqxkmaav38x428llv1zkprjrbkr"))))
+          "1fw4b2lf75nsqkiyhn95b1c2if1l3cw5a188a1szx1d8l7sbk2jg"))))
     (build-system gnu-build-system)
     (propagated-inputs
       `(("dri2proto" ,dri2proto)
@@ -5050,7 +5050,12 @@ over Xlib, including:
         ("xcb-util-wm" ,xcb-util-wm)))
     (native-inputs
        `(("python" ,python-minimal-wrapper)
-         ("pkg-config" ,pkg-config)))
+         ("pkg-config" ,pkg-config)
+         ;; XXX Bootstrapping inputs for 1.19.2. Remove for > 1.19.2.
+         ("font-util" ,font-util)
+         ("libtool" ,libtool)
+         ("autoconf" ,autoconf)
+         ("automake" ,automake)))
     (arguments
      `(#:parallel-tests? #f
        #:configure-flags
@@ -5077,6 +5082,10 @@ over Xlib, including:

        #:phases
        (modify-phases %standard-phases
+         ;; XXX The 1.19.2 release of xorg-server was not bootstrapped:
+         ;; <https://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-announce/2017-March/002780.html>
+         (add-before 'configure 'bootstrap
+           (lambda _ (zero? (system* "autoreconf" "-vfi"))))
          (add-before
           'configure 'pre-configure
           (lambda _
--
2.12.0

[-- Attachment #1.3: 0002-gnu-gtk-Build-GTK-with-its-own-xorg-server-package.patch --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2520 bytes --]

From 3601571063aa0317720d19d83f1cb42745abd5f8 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2017 00:40:37 -0500
Subject: [PATCH 2/2] gnu: gtk+: Build GTK+ with its own xorg-server package.

This will allow us to update xorg-server directly on the master branch.

* gnu/packages/xorg.scm (xorg-server-1.19.2): New variable.
* gnu/packages/gtk.scm (gtk+) [native-inputs]: Use xorg-server-1.19.2 instead of
xorg-server.
(arguments): Add xorg-server-1.19.2 to #:disallowed-references.
---
 gnu/packages/gtk.scm  |  7 +++++--
 gnu/packages/xorg.scm | 16 ++++++++++++++++

diff --git a/gnu/packages/gtk.scm b/gnu/packages/gtk.scm
index 92f399ecb..057c80859 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/gtk.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/gtk.scm
@@ -689,9 +689,12 @@ application suites.")
       ("pkg-config" ,pkg-config)
       ("gobject-introspection" ,gobject-introspection)
       ("python-wrapper" ,python-wrapper)
-      ("xorg-server" ,xorg-server)))
+      ;; By using a special xorg-server for GTK+'s tests, we reduce the impact
+      ;; of updating xorg-server directly on the master branch.
+      ("xorg-server" ,xorg-server-1.19.2)))
    (arguments
-    `(;; 47 MiB goes to "out" (24 of which is locale data!), and 26 MiB goes
+    `(#:disallowed-references (,xorg-server-1.19.2)
+      ;; 47 MiB goes to "out" (24 of which is locale data!), and 26 MiB goes
       ;; to "doc".
       #:configure-flags (list (string-append "--with-html-dir="
                                              (assoc-ref %outputs "doc")
diff --git a/gnu/packages/xorg.scm b/gnu/packages/xorg.scm
index 5c9300e20..bd8f38c39 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/xorg.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/xorg.scm
@@ -5111,6 +5111,22 @@ communicates with the user via graphical controls such as buttons and
 draggable titlebars and borders.")
     (license license:x11)))

+;;; This package is intended to be used when building GTK+.
+(define-public xorg-server-1.19.2
+  (package
+    (inherit xorg-server)
+    (name "xorg-server")
+    (version "1.19.2")
+    (source
+      (origin
+        (method url-fetch)
+        (uri (string-append
+              "mirror://xorg/individual/xserver/"
+              name "-" version ".tar.bz2"))
+        (sha256
+         (base32
+          "1fw4b2lf75nsqkiyhn95b1c2if1l3cw5a188a1szx1d8l7sbk2jg"))))))
+
 (define-public xorg-server-xwayland
   (package
     (inherit xorg-server)
--
2.12.0

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-03-08  8:44                       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-03-08  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> skribis:

> On Tue, Mar 07, 2017 at 02:59:39PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> I guess it could be called ‘xorg-server-1.9.12’ and technically inherit
>> from ‘xorg-server’ but override the version and source.
>
> I've attached patches updating xorg-server and creating a special
> package to be used for building GTK+.
>
> From 5e6cc8caaf7de4d8863f8f4ab64d8c9e7cbbfcaf Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name>
> Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 13:44:48 -0500
> Subject: [PATCH 1/2] gnu: xorg-server: Update to 1.19.2 [fixes CVE-2017-2624].
>
> * gnu/packages/xorg.scm (xorg-server): Update to 1.19.2.
> [native-inputs]: Add font-util, libtool, autoconf, and automake.
> [arguments]: Add 'bootstrap' phase.

[...]

> From 3601571063aa0317720d19d83f1cb42745abd5f8 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name>
> Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2017 00:40:37 -0500
> Subject: [PATCH 2/2] gnu: gtk+: Build GTK+ with its own xorg-server package.
>
> This will allow us to update xorg-server directly on the master branch.
>
> * gnu/packages/xorg.scm (xorg-server-1.19.2): New variable.
> * gnu/packages/gtk.scm (gtk+) [native-inputs]: Use xorg-server-1.19.2 instead of
> xorg-server.
> (arguments): Add xorg-server-1.19.2 to #:disallowed-references.
  ^ square brackets  :-)

Both LGTM.

After that I think we can start building all the packages on Hydra,
right?

Thank you!

@ 2017-03-08  9:03                         ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-03-08  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 09:44:26AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> skribis:
> > Subject: [PATCH 1/2] gnu: xorg-server: Update to 1.19.2 [fixes CVE-2017-2624].
> > Subject: [PATCH 2/2] gnu: gtk+: Build GTK+ with its own xorg-server package.

Pushed!

> After that I think we can start building all the packages on Hydra,
> right?

There are still many failures like this, which I'm not sure how to
interpret:

https://hydra.gnu.org/build/1863401

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-03-09 22:33 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-03-09 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 10:05:04AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>   • Build all the packages.  (To do that, someone with access to Hydra
>     must change the “subset” argument to “all” in the config of the
>     ‘core-updates’ jobset.)

I've just started an evaluation of "all" the packages :)

>   • Fix things.

Next step!

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-03-10 21:46   ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2017-03-10 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 10:05:04AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>>   • Build all the packages.  (To do that, someone with access to Hydra
>>     must change the “subset” argument to “all” in the config of the
>>     ‘core-updates’ jobset.)
>
> I've just started an evaluation of "all" the packages :)

Yay! Only two months behind schedule! :-P

It looks like Hydra ran out of entropy which caused a bunch of failures.

From the 'python-minimal' build:

if test "no" != "yes"; then \
    ./Programs/_freeze_importlib \
        ./Lib/importlib/_bootstrap_external.py Python/importlib_external.h; \
fi
Fatal Python error: getentropy() failed
/gnu/store/k7029k5va68lkapbzcycdzj7m5bjb4b8-bash-4.4.12/bin/sh: line 3: 10187 Aborted                 ./Programs/_freeze_importlib ./Lib/importlib/_bootstrap.py Python/importlib.h
Fatal Python error: getentropy() failed
/gnu/store/k7029k5va68lkapbzcycdzj7m5bjb4b8-bash-4.4.12/bin/sh: line 3: 10188 Aborted                 ./Programs/_freeze_importlib ./Lib/importlib/_bootstrap_external.py Python/importlib_external.h
make: *** [Makefile:742: Python/importlib.h] Error 134
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make: *** [Makefile:736: Python/importlib_external.h] Error 134
phase `build' failed after 27.4 seconds

Will you restart it? :)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-03-11  3:10     ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-03-11  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 10:46:34PM +0100, Marius Bakke wrote:
> It looks like Hydra ran out of entropy which caused a bunch of failures.

> Will you restart it? :)

Done!

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* core-updates: Python build failures
@ 2017-03-11 17:21     ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-03-11 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 10:46:34PM +0100, Marius Bakke wrote:
> It looks like Hydra ran out of entropy which caused a bunch of failures.
>
> From the 'python-minimal' build:
>
> if test "no" != "yes"; then \
>     ./Programs/_freeze_importlib \
>         ./Lib/importlib/_bootstrap_external.py Python/importlib_external.h; \
> fi
> Fatal Python error: getentropy() failed

Python is not compatible with current versions of glibc on older Linux
kernels (it builds fine for me on a recent kernel):

Bug report:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1410175

Discussion of a fix:
https://bugs.python.org/issue29157

I can't work on it today. Everyone else should feel free :)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: core-updates: Python build failures
@ 2017-03-11 19:50       ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2017-03-11 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 10:46:34PM +0100, Marius Bakke wrote:
>> It looks like Hydra ran out of entropy which caused a bunch of failures.
>>
>> From the 'python-minimal' build:
>>
>> if test "no" != "yes"; then \
>>     ./Programs/_freeze_importlib \
>>         ./Lib/importlib/_bootstrap_external.py Python/importlib_external.h; \
>> fi
>> Fatal Python error: getentropy() failed
>
> Python is not compatible with current versions of glibc on older Linux
> kernels (it builds fine for me on a recent kernel):
>
> Bug report:
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1410175
>
> Discussion of a fix:
> https://bugs.python.org/issue29157
>
> I can't work on it today. Everyone else should feel free :)

I tried applying the upstream fix for 3.5:

https://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/337461574c90

However, the monster patch does not apply.

patching file Python/random.c
Hunk #2 succeeded at 39 (offset -1 lines).
Hunk #3 succeeded at 54 (offset -1 lines).
Hunk #4 succeeded at 65 (offset -1 lines).
Hunk #5 FAILED at 77.
Hunk #6 FAILED at 143.
Hunk #7 FAILED at 162.
Hunk #8 FAILED at 203.
Hunk #9 FAILED at 236.
Hunk #10 succeeded at 350 (offset -27 lines).
Hunk #11 succeeded at 374 (offset -27 lines).
Hunk #12 succeeded at 506 (offset -27 lines).
Hunk #13 succeeded at 525 (offset -27 lines).

Will try to dig out the other patches from 3.5 branch that this depends
on tomorrow. I can't reproduce the getentropy() failure either,
apparently it only occurs on kernels < 3.17.

@ 2017-03-12  0:05         ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-03-12  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 08:50:32PM +0100, Marius Bakke wrote:
> I tried applying the upstream fix for 3.5:
>
> https://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/337461574c90
>
> However, the monster patch does not apply.

[...]

> Will try to dig out the other patches from 3.5 branch that this depends
> on tomorrow. I can't reproduce the getentropy() failure either,
> apparently it only occurs on kernels < 3.17.

Maybe we should update Python 3.5 instead, so that the patch applies. Or
update the kernels on the build farm machines.

@ 2017-03-12 17:44           ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2017-03-12 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 08:50:32PM +0100, Marius Bakke wrote:
>> I tried applying the upstream fix for 3.5:
>>
>> https://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/337461574c90
>>
>> However, the monster patch does not apply.
>
> [...]
>
>> Will try to dig out the other patches from 3.5 branch that this depends
>> on tomorrow. I can't reproduce the getentropy() failure either,
>> apparently it only occurs on kernels < 3.17.
>
> Maybe we should update Python 3.5 instead, so that the patch applies. Or
> update the kernels on the build farm machines.

Oh, I missed that 3.5.3 is out. After updating, the patch applied.

I've pushed the Python update and the getentropy() fix as
343cee8af and e4d34cd0 respectively.

@ 2017-03-13  8:30             ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-03-13  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> skribis:

> Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:
>
>> On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 08:50:32PM +0100, Marius Bakke wrote:
>>> I tried applying the upstream fix for 3.5:
>>>
>>> https://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/337461574c90
>>>
>>> However, the monster patch does not apply.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> Will try to dig out the other patches from 3.5 branch that this depends
>>> on tomorrow. I can't reproduce the getentropy() failure either,
>>> apparently it only occurs on kernels < 3.17.
>>
>> Maybe we should update Python 3.5 instead, so that the patch applies. Or
>> update the kernels on the build farm machines.

In general, our packages should work with kernels as old as 2.6.32,
since that’s what we build glibc against (via ‘--enable-kernel’).
(We should probably bump to something a bit newer though.)

> Oh, I missed that 3.5.3 is out. After updating, the patch applied.
>
> I've pushed the Python update and the getentropy() fix as
> 343cee8af and e4d34cd0 respectively.

Awesome, thanks!

I started an evaluation of core-updates, we’ll see how it goes:

  https://hydra.gnu.org/jobset/gnu/core-updates#tabs-evaluations

Ludo’.

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-03-20 18:41 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-03-20 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 10:05:04AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> So, here’s a plan:
>
>   • Once Efraim has pushed some of the aarch64 patches, do another
>     evaluation of the “core” package set for that branch, and check for
>     anything wrong.  From there on, forbid full-rebuild changes.
>
>   • Once the “core” subset builds correctly on all the supported
>     platforms (those that Hydra supports), merge ‘master’.  Maybe update
>     a couple of things like GnuTLS while we’re at it.  From there on
>     forbid non-trivial changes.
>
>   • Build all the packages.  (To do that, someone with access to Hydra
>     must change the “subset” argument to “all” in the config of the
>     ‘core-updates’ jobset.)
>
>   • Fix things.

We are at this stage... please help :)

Here is a list of packages that are failing on core-updates but not on
the master branch:

https://hydra.gnu.org/eval/109549?compare=master&full=1#tabs-now-fail

It might take a while to load the web page; please have patience :)

Once you load it, take note of the brown and red icons.

The brown icon means, "we did not try to build this yet, because one of
the dependencies failed to build".

The red icon means, "we tried to build this and it failed." You should
probably focus on these failed builds.

I'm sorry if the color-coding is not sufficient for you; we know it's
not a good system for people who have impaired vision. My vision is
pretty good and I find it hard to pick out the red icons.

Once you have found an interesting build failure, read its log (the
"raw" log is most useful, in my opinion) and try to reproduce and fix it
on your machine. Then send a patch!

Sometimes there is a spurious build failure: The SSH connection used for
offloading fails, or the build machine is out of memory. Reply to this
thread with a link to the failing build and we will restart it.

Thanks in advance :)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-03-21 11:16   ` julien lepiller
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: julien lepiller @ 2017-03-21 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Le 2017-03-20 19:41, Leo Famulari a écrit :
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 10:05:04AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> So, here’s a plan:
>>
>>   • Once Efraim has pushed some of the aarch64 patches, do another
>>     evaluation of the “core” package set for that branch, and check
>> for
>>     anything wrong.  From there on, forbid full-rebuild changes.
>>
>>   • Once the “core” subset builds correctly on all the supported
>>     platforms (those that Hydra supports), merge ‘master’.  Maybe
>> update
>>     a couple of things like GnuTLS while we’re at it.  From there on
>>     forbid non-trivial changes.
>>
>>   • Build all the packages.  (To do that, someone with access to Hydra
>>     must change the “subset” argument to “all” in the config of the
>>     ‘core-updates’ jobset.)
>>
>>   • Fix things.
>
> We are at this stage... please help :)
>
> Here is a list of packages that are failing on core-updates but not on
> the master branch:
>
> https://hydra.gnu.org/eval/109549?compare=master&full=1#tabs-now-fail
>
> It might take a while to load the web page; please have patience :)
>
> Once you load it, take note of the brown and red icons.
>
> The brown icon means, "we did not try to build this yet, because one of
> the dependencies failed to build".
>
> The red icon means, "we tried to build this and it failed." You should
> probably focus on these failed builds.
>
> I'm sorry if the color-coding is not sufficient for you; we know it's
> not a good system for people who have impaired vision. My vision is
> pretty good and I find it hard to pick out the red icons.
>
> Once you have found an interesting build failure, read its log (the
> "raw" log is most useful, in my opinion) and try to reproduce and fix
> it
> on your machine. Then send a patch!
>
> Sometimes there is a spurious build failure: The SSH connection used
> for
> offloading fails, or the build machine is out of memory. Reply to this
> thread with a link to the failing build and we will restart it.
>
> Thanks in advance :)

Hi,

c-reduce seems to have failed because of a crash in g++. Maybe the
server lacked memory? It builds fine here.

* Re: Let?s freeze and build ?core-updates?!
       [not found] <mailman.60210.1490049834.22737.guix-devel@gnu.org>
@ 2017-03-21 14:22 ` rennes
From: rennes @ 2017-03-21 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: leo; +Cc: guix-devel

> Once you have found an interesting build failure, read its log (the
> "raw" log is most useful, in my opinion) and try to reproduce and fix
> it
> on your machine. Then send a patch!
>
> Sometimes there is a spurious build failure: The SSH connection used
> for
> offloading fails, or the build machine is out of memory. Reply to this
> thread with a link to the failing build and we will restart it.

Attachment patch for xf86-video-vmware-13.2.1.

https://hydra.gnu.org/build/1932198

[-- Attachment #2: 0001-gnu-xf86-video-vmware-Fix-build.patch --]
[-- Type: text/x-diff; name=0001-gnu-xf86-video-vmware-Fix-build.patch, Size: 1307 bytes --]

From d5dd0ab353fca180f122210c68297a0d66abec37 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: rennes <rennes@openmailbox.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 08:10:58 -0600
Subject: [PATCH] gnu: xf86-video-vmware: Fix build.

* gnu/packages/xorg.scm (xf86-video-vmware)[inputs]: Add llvm.
---
 gnu/packages/xorg.scm | 3 +++
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+)

diff --git a/gnu/packages/xorg.scm b/gnu/packages/xorg.scm
index 266ac78fb..11ce611c4 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/xorg.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/xorg.scm
@@ -12,6 +12,7 @@
 ;;; Copyright © 2016 David Craven <david@craven.ch>
 ;;; Copyright © 2016, 2017 John Darrington <jmd@gnu.org>
 ;;; Copyright © 2017 Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com>
+;;; Copyright © 2017 Rene Saavedra <rennes@openmailbox.org>
 ;;;
 ;;; This file is part of GNU Guix.
 ;;;
@@ -51,6 +52,7 @@
   #:use-module (gnu packages image)
   #:use-module (gnu packages libbsd)
   #:use-module (gnu packages linux)
+  #:use-module (gnu packages llvm)
   #:use-module (gnu packages m4)
   #:use-module (gnu packages ncurses)
   #:use-module (gnu packages perl)
@@ -3356,6 +3358,7 @@ X server.")
     (inputs
      `(("libx11" ,libx11)
        ("libxext" ,libxext)
+       ("llvm" ,llvm)
        ("mesa" ,mesa)                   ; for xatracker
        ("xorg-server" ,xorg-server)))
     (native-inputs
--
2.12.0

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-03-21 17:52     ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-03-21 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: julien lepiller; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 12:16:20PM +0100, julien lepiller wrote:
> c-reduce seems to have failed because of a crash in g++. Maybe the server
> lacked memory? It builds fine here.

Thanks for checking on the log!

Indeed, errors like this one...

g++: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1plus)

... typically indicate an out-of-memory condition. So, I restarted the
build.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Let?s freeze and build ?core-updates?!
@ 2017-03-21 18:28   ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-03-21 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rennes; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 08:22:29AM -0600, rennes@openmailbox.org wrote:
> Attachment patch for xf86-video-vmware-13.2.1.
>
> https://hydra.gnu.org/build/1932198

> From d5dd0ab353fca180f122210c68297a0d66abec37 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: rennes <rennes@openmailbox.org>
> Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 08:10:58 -0600
> Subject: [PATCH] gnu: xf86-video-vmware: Fix build.
>
> * gnu/packages/xorg.scm (xf86-video-vmware)[inputs]: Add llvm.

Thanks, pushed!

By the way, I couldn't apply your patch because the text encoding seems
to different from what is in the Git repo. So, I recreated it from
scratch.

> ---
>  gnu/packages/xorg.scm | 3 +++
>  1 file changed, 3 insertions(+)
>
> diff --git a/gnu/packages/xorg.scm b/gnu/packages/xorg.scm
> index 266ac78fb..11ce611c4 100644
> --- a/gnu/packages/xorg.scm
> +++ b/gnu/packages/xorg.scm
> @@ -12,6 +12,7 @@
>  ;;; Copyright ?? 2016 David Craven <david@craven.ch>
>  ;;; Copyright ?? 2016, 2017 John Darrington <jmd@gnu.org>
>  ;;; Copyright ?? 2017 Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com>
> +;;; Copyright ?? 2017 Rene Saavedra <rennes@openmailbox.org>

For example, the copyright © symbols are replaced by two question marks
here. I'm not sure if this is a problem on my end or yours.

And it looks like the subject line might be messed up:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-03/msg00651.html

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-03-21 21:19   ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2017-03-21 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 14:41:45 -0400
Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:

> We are at this stage... please help :)
>
> Here is a list of packages that are failing on core-updates but not on
> the master branch:
>
> https://hydra.gnu.org/eval/109549?compare=master&full=1#tabs-now-fail
>
> It might take a while to load the web page; please have patience :)

Hi,

zsh (https://hydra.gnu.org/build/1883646) failed but the last line is:

build-succeeded /gnu/store/8q928a90f08qc3nfsdf4h39lx8yyr8pm-zsh-5.2.drv

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-03-21 22:02     ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-03-21 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 10:19:02PM +0100, Julien Lepiller wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 14:41:45 -0400
> Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> wrote:
>
> > We are at this stage... please help :)
> >
> > Here is a list of packages that are failing on core-updates but not on
> > the master branch:
> >
> > https://hydra.gnu.org/eval/109549?compare=master&full=1#tabs-now-fail
> >
> > It might take a while to load the web page; please have patience :)
>
> Hi,
>
> zsh (https://hydra.gnu.org/build/1883646) failed but the last line is:
>
> build-succeeded /gnu/store/8q928a90f08qc3nfsdf4h39lx8yyr8pm-zsh-5.2.drv

Thanks, I've restarted the build.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-03-21 22:02     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2017-03-21 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: guix-devel

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> writes:

> zsh (https://hydra.gnu.org/build/1883646) failed but the last line is:
>
> build-succeeded /gnu/store/8q928a90f08qc3nfsdf4h39lx8yyr8pm-zsh-5.2.drv

That was probably a transient failure.  It’s currently marked as
“Scheduled to be built”.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-03-23 11:08   ` Thomas Danckaert
From: Thomas Danckaert @ 2017-03-23 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: leo; +Cc: guix-devel

From: Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name>
Subject: Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 14:41:45 -0400

> Sometimes there is a spurious build failure: The SSH connection
> used for
> offloading fails, or the build machine is out of memory. Reply to
> this
> thread with a link to the failing build and we will restart it.

The build of hdf5 on armhf has failed, but the build log ends in

@ build-succeeded
/gnu/store/y1c7fw50l2lyy0f22nndqws2fsjhrfba-hdf5-1.8.18.drv -

https://hydra.gnu.org/build/1883211/nixlog/2/raw

Thomas

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-03-23 12:38     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2017-03-23 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Danckaert; +Cc: guix-devel

Thomas Danckaert <post@thomasdanckaert.be> writes:

> From: Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name>
> Subject: Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
> Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 14:41:45 -0400
>
>> Sometimes there is a spurious build failure: The SSH connection
>> used for
>> offloading fails, or the build machine is out of memory. Reply to
>> this
>> thread with a link to the failing build and we will restart it.
>
> The build of hdf5 on armhf has failed, but the build log ends in
>
> @ build-succeeded
> /gnu/store/y1c7fw50l2lyy0f22nndqws2fsjhrfba-hdf5-1.8.18.drv -
>
> https://hydra.gnu.org/build/1883211/nixlog/2/raw

Thanks, I just restarted the build.

--

@ 2017-03-29 13:41   ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2017-03-29 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 10:05:04AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> So, here’s a plan:
>>
>>   • Once Efraim has pushed some of the aarch64 patches, do another
>>     evaluation of the “core” package set for that branch, and check for
>>     anything wrong.  From there on, forbid full-rebuild changes.
>>
>>   • Once the “core” subset builds correctly on all the supported
>>     platforms (those that Hydra supports), merge ‘master’.  Maybe update
>>     a couple of things like GnuTLS while we’re at it.  From there on
>>     forbid non-trivial changes.
>>
>>   • Build all the packages.  (To do that, someone with access to Hydra
>>     must change the “subset” argument to “all” in the config of the
>>     ‘core-updates’ jobset.)
>>
>>   • Fix things.
>
> We are at this stage... please help :)

Checking in for duty! o7

Here are the results of the latest evaluation:

https://hydra.gnu.org/eval/109570?full=1&compare=master#tabs-now-fail

I cannot reproduce these failures, please try restarting the jobs:

https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/core-updates/c-graph-2.0.x86_64-linux
https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/core-updates/express-beta-diversity-1.0.7.i686-linux
https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/core-updates/gdm-3.22.1.x86_64-linux
https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/core-updates/gengetopt-2.22.6.x86_64-linux
https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/core-updates/libutf-0.0.0-1.ff4c606.i686-linux
https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/core-updates/mupdf-1.10a.x86_64-linux
https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/core-updates/ghc-mockery-0.3.2.i686-linux
https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/core-updates/gst-plugins-good-1.10.4.i686-linux
https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/core-updates/python-lit-0.5.0.x86_64-linux
https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/core-updates/ruby-concurrent-1.0.2.i686-linux
https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/core-updates/wcslib-5.16.i686-linux

With those out of the way, here are most remaining problems on x86_64:

* aegis
* discrover
* clang-3.5.2 (can this be removed?)
* elixir
* gcc-4.7.4 (likewise)
* glog
* a handful of guile libraries
* hugs (abondoned upstream, no users, remove?)
* khmer
* kodi
* ldc
* powertabeditor
* pspp
* scalapack
* stringtie
* swish-e
* vim-full

Once most of these are fixed, I think we're ready to merge!

Kodi is very interesting, most tests take <1s on 'master', but almost
every test take ~30s on 'core-updates' and invariably segfaults. Any
idea what might be going on?

Likewise, one "vim-full" test is failing on 'core-updates' for no good
reason. I would create an upstream issue if I had any idea what might be
causing it :)

Powertabeditor is likely fixed by an update, but I haven't tried it yet.
Any takers?

For the rest.. please share your findings!

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-03-29 14:05     ` Marius Bakke
                       ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Marius Bakke @ 2017-03-29 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> writes:

> Here are the results of the latest evaluation:
>
> https://hydra.gnu.org/eval/109570?full=1&compare=master#tabs-now-fail

[...]

> With those out of the way, here are most remaining problems on x86_64:
>
> * aegis
> * discrover
> * clang-3.5.2 (can this be removed?)
> * elixir
> * gcc-4.7.4 (likewise)
> * glog
> * a handful of guile libraries
> * hugs (abondoned upstream, no users, remove?)
> * khmer
> * kodi
> * ldc
> * powertabeditor
> * pspp
> * scalapack
> * stringtie
> * swish-e
> * vim-full

There is at least one other important package failing: "greenisland". I
wonder why it's no longer listed on the Hydra page.

Anyway, halp wanted :-)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-03-29 20:49     ` Leo Famulari
                       ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-03-29 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 03:41:56PM +0200, Marius Bakke wrote:
> Here are the results of the latest evaluation:
>
> https://hydra.gnu.org/eval/109570?full=1&compare=master#tabs-now-fail
>
> I cannot reproduce these failures, please try restarting the jobs:
>
> https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/core-updates/c-graph-2.0.x86_64-linux
> https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/core-updates/express-beta-diversity-1.0.7.i686-linux
> https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/core-updates/gdm-3.22.1.x86_64-linux
> https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/core-updates/gengetopt-2.22.6.x86_64-linux
> https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/core-updates/libutf-0.0.0-1.ff4c606.i686-linux
> https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/core-updates/mupdf-1.10a.x86_64-linux
> https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/core-updates/ghc-mockery-0.3.2.i686-linux
> https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/core-updates/gst-plugins-good-1.10.4.i686-linux
> https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/core-updates/python-lit-0.5.0.x86_64-linux
> https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/core-updates/ruby-concurrent-1.0.2.i686-linux
> https://hydra.gnu.org/job/gnu/core-updates/wcslib-5.16.i686-linux

Done. Thank you for the convenient list of links!

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-03-29 20:51     ` Leo Famulari
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-03-29 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 03:41:56PM +0200, Marius Bakke wrote:
> With those out of the way, here are most remaining problems on x86_64:
>
> * aegis
> * discrover
> * clang-3.5.2 (can this be removed?)
> * elixir
> * gcc-4.7.4 (likewise)
> * glog
> * a handful of guile libraries
> * hugs (abondoned upstream, no users, remove?)
> * khmer
> * kodi
> * ldc
> * powertabeditor
> * pspp
> * scalapack
> * stringtie
> * swish-e
> * vim-full
>
> Once most of these are fixed, I think we're ready to merge!

Personally, I think it would be ideal to wait until there are no new
failures before merging but, on the other hand, people may not be
willing to fix build failures until `guix pull && guix package -u`
breaks their favorite package.

Let's see what happens :)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

@ 2017-03-30  6:23     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2017-03-30  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> writes:

> * discrover

I’ll try to fix this.

> * a handful of guile libraries

Including guile-reader, which has problems with generated code.  Not
sure what to do here.

> * hugs (abondoned upstream, no users, remove?)

Hugs may eventually be needed for bootstrapping GHC.  I’ll try to fix it.

> * khmer
> * ldc
> * powertabeditor

I’ll take care of this one.  Looks like I’d just need to add -lpthread somewhere.

> * pspp

Maybe John can take a look here?

> * stringtie

I’ll try to fix this.

> For the rest.. please share your findings!

I’m still compiling things to update my profile — since more than two
days.

--

@ 2017-03-30  8:36       ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2017-03-30  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

The following packages are now fixed in core-updates:

* discrover
* hugs
* powertabeditor
* stringtie

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
                       ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-03-30  9:18     ` Thomas Danckaert
From: Thomas Danckaert @ 2017-03-30  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mbakke; +Cc: guix-devel

From: Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 15:41:56 +0200

> For the rest.. please share your findings!

Perhaps this is not a “finding”, but just a positive anecdote: I
reconfigured on core-updates and it's working fine (after an
afternoon of building nss and webkitgtk).

I'm also happy with jmd's util-linux patch d9804e501 which allows
mount to find helper programs “mount.<xyz>”.  (I needed that to mount
cifs/samba shares easily, don't know if anyone else has managed this
on master?)

Thomas

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
                       ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-04-01 22:30     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-04-01 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi!

It looks like we’re doing okay now?  There are still a number of
armhf-linux builds pending, but if everything goes well, I think we
should merge tomorrow (Sunday).  WDYT?

@ 2017-04-01 23:09       ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-04-01 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sun, Apr 02, 2017 at 12:30:28AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi!
>
> It looks like we’re doing okay now?  There are still a number of
> armhf-linux builds pending, but if everything goes well, I think we
> should merge tomorrow (Sunday).  WDYT?

Yes, I like this plan.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-04-02 15:20       ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2017-04-02 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi!
>
> It looks like we’re doing okay now?  There are still a number of
> armhf-linux builds pending, but if everything goes well, I think we
> should merge tomorrow (Sunday).  WDYT?

One "greenisland" test is segfaulting. This package is needed for the
"sddm" display manager, so I don't think we should merge until that is
sorted. I'm looking into it now, but struggling to produce useful
debugging information.

"vim-full" also has a failing test, but is arguably less important.
There are "relink" warnings during the test phase, like this:

Relink `/gnu/store/vis7x2j2lsmwbl5m5w794c23ysqah8xh-libpng-1.6.28/lib/libpng16.so.16' with `/gnu/store/rmjlycdgiq8pfy5hfi42qhw3k7p6kdav-glibc-2.25/lib/libpthread.so.0' for IFUNC symbol `longjmp'

...but I'm not sure if it's actually related.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-04-02 15:42         ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2017-04-02 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> writes:

> "vim-full" also has a failing test, but is arguably less important.
> There are "relink" warnings during the test phase, like this:
>
> Relink `/gnu/store/vis7x2j2lsmwbl5m5w794c23ysqah8xh-libpng-1.6.28/lib/libpng16.so.16' with `/gnu/store/rmjlycdgiq8pfy5hfi42qhw3k7p6kdav-glibc-2.25/lib/libpthread.so.0' for IFUNC symbol `longjmp'
>
> ...but I'm not sure if it's actually related.

Hmm, I’ve also seen this when running Lilypond!  I thought it was my
fault.  I don’t know what this means.  Do we need to rebuild libpng?

--

@ 2017-04-02 21:18         ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2017-04-02 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> writes:

> One "greenisland" test is segfaulting. This package is needed for the
> "sddm" display manager, so I don't think we should merge until that is
> sorted. I'm looking into it now, but struggling to produce useful
> debugging information.

Apparently "ctest" will invoke "gdb" for tests if available in PATH. The
stack trace was not very helpful to my untrained eye however..

Given that this software is abandoned upstream, I don't think it's worth
spending a lot of time on maintaining it (our Wayland is newer than the
latest Greenisland release). We'll eventually have to find another
Wayland compositor for SDDM, in the meantime I think it's okay to
disable this test. What do others think?

I've configured my system on 'core-updates' and can confirm that SDDM
works fine (after disabling greenisland tests).

Geronimo? :-)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Greenisland & SDDM
@ 2017-04-02 21:20         ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-04-02 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi!

Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> skribis:

> One "greenisland" test is segfaulting. This package is needed for the
> "sddm" display manager, so I don't think we should merge until that is
> sorted. I'm looking into it now, but struggling to produce useful
> debugging information.

I’ve looked a bit and this seems to be a case of double-free:

$ valgrind /tmp/guix-build-greenisland-0.9.0.1.drv-0/build/tests/auto/client/tst_client_registry
==16114== Memcheck, a memory error detector
==16114== Copyright (C) 2002-2015, and GNU GPL'd, by Julian Seward et al.
==16114== Using Valgrind-3.12.0 and LibVEX; rerun with -h for copyright info
==16114== Command: /tmp/guix-build-greenisland-0.9.0.1.drv-0/build/tests/auto/client/tst_client_registry
==16114==
QML debugging is enabled. Only use this in a safe environment.
********* Start testing of TestRegistry *********
Config: Using QtTest library 5.7.1, Qt 5.7.1 (x86_64-little_endian-lp64 shared (dynamic) release build; by GCC 5.4.0)
PASS   : TestRegistry::initTestCase()
==16114== Invalid read of size 4
==16114==    at 0x9E71A94: pthread_mutex_lock (in /gnu/store/rmjlycdgiq8pfy5hfi42qhw3k7p6kdav-glibc-2.25/lib/libpthread-2.25.so)
==16114==    by 0x5556E9F: wl_proxy_destroy (in /gnu/store/syzisi3ib6q406nrxpb4723fhm2cmyml-wayland-1.13.0/lib/libwayland-client.so.0.3.0)
==16114==    by 0x509A42F: wl_registry_destroy (wayland-wayland-client-protocol.h:1065)
==16114==    by 0x509A42F: GreenIsland::Client::RegistryPrivate::~RegistryPrivate() (registry.cpp:121)
==16114==    by 0x509A488: GreenIsland::Client::RegistryPrivate::~RegistryPrivate() (registry.cpp:124)
==16114==    by 0x7C1336B: QObject::~QObject() (in /gnu/store/ihjf81is9xh4virnj9k5v87zv3z0idj8-qtbase-5.7.1/lib/libQt5Core.so.5.7.1)
==16114==    by 0x404D30: ~Registry (registry.h:54)
==16114==    by 0x404D30: testSetup (tst_registry.cpp:108)
==16114==    by 0x404D30: TestRegistry::qt_static_metacall(QObject*, QMetaObject::Call, int, void**) [clone .part.23] (tst_registry.moc:96)
==16114==    by 0x7BED4F9: QMetaMethod::invoke(QObject*, Qt::ConnectionType, QGenericReturnArgument, QGenericArgument, QGenericArgument, QGenericArgument, QGenericArgument, QGenericArgument, QGenericArgument, QGenericArgument, QGenericArgument, QGenericArgument, QGenericArgument) const (in /gnu/store/ihjf81is9xh4virnj9k5v87zv3z0idj8-qtbase-5.7.1/lib/libQt5Core.so.5.7.1)
==16114==    by 0x4E4A213: ??? (in /gnu/store/ihjf81is9xh4virnj9k5v87zv3z0idj8-qtbase-5.7.1/lib/libQt5Test.so.5.7.1)
==16114==    by 0x4E4AB25: ??? (in /gnu/store/ihjf81is9xh4virnj9k5v87zv3z0idj8-qtbase-5.7.1/lib/libQt5Test.so.5.7.1)
==16114==    by 0x4E4B111: ??? (in /gnu/store/ihjf81is9xh4virnj9k5v87zv3z0idj8-qtbase-5.7.1/lib/libQt5Test.so.5.7.1)
==16114==    by 0x4E4B5E8: QTest::qExec(QObject*, int, char**) (in /gnu/store/ihjf81is9xh4virnj9k5v87zv3z0idj8-qtbase-5.7.1/lib/libQt5Test.so.5.7.1)
==16114==    by 0x403C60: main (tst_registry.cpp:306)
==16114==  Address 0x1274e4c0 is 240 bytes inside a block of size 320 free'd
==16114==    at 0x4C2BBD0: free (in /gnu/store/qr7xykwfxav3drx9c2fxazggpl8j9py9-valgrind-3.12.0/lib/valgrind/vgpreload_memcheck-amd64-linux.so)
==16114==    by 0x508F305: GreenIsland::Client::ClientConnectionPrivate::~ClientConnectionPrivate() (clientconnection.cpp:61)
==16114==    by 0x508F318: GreenIsland::Client::ClientConnectionPrivate::~ClientConnectionPrivate() (clientconnection.cpp:63)
==16114==    by 0x7C1336B: QObject::~QObject() (in /gnu/store/ihjf81is9xh4virnj9k5v87zv3z0idj8-qtbase-5.7.1/lib/libQt5Core.so.5.7.1)
==16114==    by 0x508FDA6: ~ClientConnection (clientconnection.h:43)
==16114==    by 0x508FDA6: GreenIsland::Client::ClientConnection::~ClientConnection() (clientconnection.h:43)
==16114==    by 0x7C0C887: QObject::event(QEvent*) (in /gnu/store/ihjf81is9xh4virnj9k5v87zv3z0idj8-qtbase-5.7.1/lib/libQt5Core.so.5.7.1)
==16114==    by 0x7BE2879: QCoreApplication::notify(QObject*, QEvent*) (in /gnu/store/ihjf81is9xh4virnj9k5v87zv3z0idj8-qtbase-5.7.1/lib/libQt5Core.so.5.7.1)
==16114==    by 0x7BE29D7: QCoreApplication::notifyInternal2(QObject*, QEvent*) (in /gnu/store/ihjf81is9xh4virnj9k5v87zv3z0idj8-qtbase-5.7.1/lib/libQt5Core.so.5.7.1)
==16114==    by 0x7BE4FCA: QCoreApplicationPrivate::sendPostedEvents(QObject*, int, QThreadData*) (in /gnu/store/ihjf81is9xh4virnj9k5v87zv3z0idj8-qtbase-5.7.1/lib/libQt5Core.so.5.7.1)
==16114==    by 0x7C32EE2: ??? (in /gnu/store/ihjf81is9xh4virnj9k5v87zv3z0idj8-qtbase-5.7.1/lib/libQt5Core.so.5.7.1)
==16114==    by 0x8CF30D6: g_main_context_dispatch (in /gnu/store/0wps368gx0cn3ynrkbhzq5pxf75rng7y-glib-2.50.3/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0.5000.3)
==16114==    by 0x8CF3307: g_main_context_iterate.isra.29 (in /gnu/store/0wps368gx0cn3ynrkbhzq5pxf75rng7y-glib-2.50.3/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0.5000.3)
==16114==  Block was alloc'd at
==16114==    at 0x4C2C868: calloc (in /gnu/store/qr7xykwfxav3drx9c2fxazggpl8j9py9-valgrind-3.12.0/lib/valgrind/vgpreload_memcheck-amd64-linux.so)
==16114==    by 0x555755E: wl_display_connect_to_fd (in /gnu/store/syzisi3ib6q406nrxpb4723fhm2cmyml-wayland-1.13.0/lib/libwayland-client.so.0.3.0)
==16114==    by 0x5557741: wl_display_connect (in /gnu/store/syzisi3ib6q406nrxpb4723fhm2cmyml-wayland-1.13.0/lib/libwayland-client.so.0.3.0)
==16114==    by 0x508F6D3: GreenIsland::Client::ClientConnectionPrivate::_q_initConnection() (clientconnection.cpp:83)
==16114==    by 0x7C0C850: QObject::event(QEvent*) (in /gnu/store/ihjf81is9xh4virnj9k5v87zv3z0idj8-qtbase-5.7.1/lib/libQt5Core.so.5.7.1)
[...]
==16114==    by 0x8CF33AB: g_main_context_iteration (in /gnu/store/0wps368gx0cn3ynrkbhzq5pxf75rng7y-glib-2.50.3/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0.5000.3)

However, <https://github.com/greenisland/greenisland> says that it’s
UNMAINTANED (sic), so I wonder what should be done.

Since, SDDM can be built without Greenisland (and thus without Wayland
support I suppose), what about doing just that?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/x-patch, Size: 496 bytes --]

diff --git a/gnu/packages/display-managers.scm b/gnu/packages/display-managers.scm
index 307bc864e..d636fec8c 100644
--- a/gnu/packages/display-managers.scm
+++ b/gnu/packages/display-managers.scm
@@ -140,7 +140,7 @@ Qt-style API for Wayland clients.")
        ("qttools" ,qttools)))
     (inputs
      `(("glib" ,glib)
-       ("greenisland" ,greenisland)
+       ;; ("greenisland" ,greenisland)
        ("libxcb" ,libxcb)
        ("libxkbcommon" ,libxkbcommon)
        ("linux-pam" ,linux-pam)

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-04-02 21:23           ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2017-04-02 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

> Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> writes:
>
>> "vim-full" also has a failing test, but is arguably less important.
>> There are "relink" warnings during the test phase, like this:
>>
>> Relink `/gnu/store/vis7x2j2lsmwbl5m5w794c23ysqah8xh-libpng-1.6.28/lib/libpng16.so.16' with `/gnu/store/rmjlycdgiq8pfy5hfi42qhw3k7p6kdav-glibc-2.25/lib/libpthread.so.0' for IFUNC symbol `longjmp'
>>
>> ...but I'm not sure if it's actually related.
>
> Hmm, I’ve also seen this when running Lilypond!  I thought it was my
> fault.  I don’t know what this means.  Do we need to rebuild libpng?

I don't know either, but this topic was discussed recently at [0] and is
apparently a glibc regression [1].

We should probably open a bug for tracking it, since there is likely
more software affected in Guix.

[0] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-03/msg00626.html
[1] https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=21041

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Greenisland & SDDM
@ 2017-04-02 21:31           ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2017-04-02 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Since, SDDM can be built without Greenisland (and thus without Wayland
> support I suppose), what about doing just that?

I suggested this in [0] and see now that I completely missed Leos reply.

Let's do that. No blockers left from my side, at least.

[0] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=26200

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Greenisland & SDDM
@ 2017-04-02 22:12             ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-04-02 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Since, SDDM can be built without Greenisland (and thus without Wayland
>> support I suppose), what about doing just that?
>
> I suggested this in [0] and see now that I completely missed Leos reply.
>
> Let's do that. No blockers left from my side, at least.
>
> [0] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=26200

Perfect, thanks!

Ludo’.

* ‘core-updates’ merged!
@ 2017-04-02 22:39           ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-04-02 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello Guix!

With the last blocker out of the way, I’ve merged the branch!

The (not so new) news:

  • Updates: glibc 2.25, coreutils 8.26, grep 3.0, guile 2.0.14,
    sed 4.4, tzdata 2017a, etc.

  • Packages are built with GCC 5 (was 4.9).

  • Aarch64 is supported!

  • Reproducibility fixes: new ‘reset-gzip-timestamps’ build phase, use
    of Guile 2.0.14 which produces .go files deterministically,
    ‘perl-build-system’ no longer produces ‘perllocal.pod’ files (which
    were not reproducible).

  • No more broken store references in grafted stuff!
    <https://bugs.gnu.org/24703>

  • Only one entry in ‘GIT_EXEC_PATH’ & co.!
    <https://bugs.gnu.org/25422>

  • GNU/Hurd and powerpc-linux-gnu cross-compilation fixes.

… and probably lots of other things long forgotten.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to address the issues in this
branch!

Enjoy!

Ludo’.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Let’s freeze and build ‘core-updates’!
@ 2017-04-03  7:43         ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2017-04-03  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> On Sun, Apr 02, 2017 at 12:30:28AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> It looks like we’re doing okay now?  There are still a number of
>> armhf-linux builds pending, but if everything goes well, I think we
>> should merge tomorrow (Sunday).  WDYT?
>
> Yes, I like this plan.

Sounds good to me!