all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Libre games that might be worth packaging :)
@ 2019-03-17 16:51 swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2019-03-17 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi!

I just went through Julie Marchants excellent list of libre games:
https://onpon4.github.io/articles/libre-games.html

There are so many! :)

Currently we are missing these (according to https://guix.mdc-berlin.de/):

A7Xpg - An arcade game centered around avoiding enemies while collecting
as many gold pieces as possible. Centered around a "booster" which
repels enemies and makes you go faster.

Adanaxis - A first-person 4-D space shooter game. Literally "adds an
axis" to typical 3-D space shooters for a very unique experience.
Alex the Allegator 4 - A fun, lighthearted, short platformer.

Armagetron Advanced - A 3-D variant of the Light Cycles sub-game of the
classic Tron arcade game. Highly configurable and very fun to play.

B.A.L.L.Z. - Highly engaging action puzzle game centered around a
character that moves automatically. You start with only one action
(jumping) and gain two more actions later in the game.

Battle Tanks - An engaging multiplayer overhead shooter game. Features
deathmatch and cooperative modes. Includes a nice selection of tanks and
weapons. When your current tank is destroyed, your character ejects from
it as an infantry unit and can search for and board a new one, or
continue fighting on foot.

Criticalmass - A simple space shooter game similar in style to games
like Galaxian with great production value and balance. The game awards
you with more/better weapons for playing at higher difficulty levels.

Dink Smallwood (GNU FreeDink) - A funny Zelda-style RPG.

Dopewars - A simple game where you buy drugs for cheap and then sell
them to make a profit, avoiding (or fighting) cops along the way. You
have one month to make as much money as you possibly can.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup - A very fun and well-made dungeon crawl game
with a nice interface. Find the "Orb of Zot" and then exit the dungeon
(without getting yourself killed, of course) to win!

Endgame: Singularity - A very fun real-time strategy game from the
perspective of the Singularity, an advanced A.I. that seeks to
eventually surpass reality itself. Help the Singularity achieve the
highest possible state before the humans uncover its presence and
destroy it.

Flare: Empyrean Campaign - A very fun, engaging, well-balanced, and
detailed isometric action fantasy RPG about someone who has been exiled
from their homeland and their quest to regain entry.

Funguloids - A simple arcade game where you control some sort of blob
thing in space, collecting mushrooms while avoiding asteroids. The thing
you control moves at a constant speed which increases as you collect
mushrooms and move through levels, so it gets harder and harder until
you finally mess up. Great production value and very fun to play.

Gunroar - An abstract naval-themed bullet hell game.

Hex-a-Hop - A fun puzzle game where you have to find the right path to
clear the board of tiles.

Inside a Star-filled Sky - Progress as deep as you can into an endless
abstract world. Your actions in the current level affect the state of
your character in the next level. You can enter into yourself and
enemies, regressing back a level, to change their properties if you find
yourself in a pinch. Very unique and challenging.

Jump 'n Bump - A classic multiplayer deathmatch game where you stomp on
your friends' heads. Features fully customizable graphics, allowing you
to create any kind of map you can imagine if you are so inclined.

Krank - A puzzle game incorporating elements from Pool/Billiards. You
have to use a large ball to bump smaller balls into their proper place.
Includes a lot of variety and gets quite challenging later on.

Konquest - A fun turn-based strategy game which is a twist on the Risk
board game. Send ships from planets you control to conquer others. Crush
all other empires and conquer the whole galaxy to win!

Liquid War - A unique real-time strategy game: you tell your liquid what
direction to move in, and nothing else. Liquid attacks enemy liquid when
it goes in its direction. Your goal is simply to end up with more liquid
than all of your opponents when the timer runs out. For such a simple
concept, it is surprisingly engaging.

Meritous - A fun action-adventure dungeon crawler game.
Micropolis - The libre version of Sim City Classic. This is not a clone,
but actually directly based on the Unix port of Sim City.

Mindustry - A pixel-styled "sandbox tower defense" game centered around
building networks to collect materials and then using those materials to
build defense systems. Fantastic production value and highly engaging,
with online multiplayer support.

Mirror Magic - A fun puzzle game where you have to use mirrors to
manipulate a beam.

Mu-cade - A unique abstract shooter game taking place on a ring. Knock
your enemies off the ring while preventing them from knocking you off.

Nikki and the Robots - A very nice original puzzle platformer with a
retro style.

Noiz2sa - A fun and challenging abstract bullet hell game with nice
graphics.

OpenClonk - A fun game combining elements of parkour with elements of
RTS games. Features multiple game modes and has great production value.

Overgod - A fun twist on the classic Asteroids, featuring several
different ships, multiplayer support, powerups, and "asteroids" that
shoot back.

Phlipple - A simple, but engaging puzzle game centered around folding
3-D objects together.

Ri-li - A simple game centered around helping a train collect all cars
on the board without allowing it to run into itself. Effectively, a
variant of Snake where you are only allowed to move along set paths.

rRootage - An abstract bullet hell game. Your weapon is a continuous
beam that fires straight forward, and all enemies are boss-like.

Rocks'n'Diamonds - A highly sophisticated game combining elements of
Boulder Dash, Emerald Mine, Supaplex, and Sokoban as well as several
original elements, creating an engine that is capable of highly varied
gameplay. If that wasn't enough, the production value is great, too.

Sleep Is Death - A unique 2-player-only RPG, limited only by the
players' imagination.

Slingshot - A fun 2-player turn-based strategy game centered around
aiming shots so that the gravity of nearby planets flings them toward
the enemy ship.

SolarWolf - A simple, but very fun game based on the Atari 2600 game
SolarFox, but with much better production value. Centered around
collecting cubes as quickly as possible while avoiding gunfire.

Spout - A simple abstract game where you use a spray to propel as high
as you can through the level, without touching obstacles. Spraying the
obstacles erodes them, clearing the path.

Titanion - An abstract shooter game in a style similar to the bonus
stages of Galaga, with great visuals and an emphasis on fast action.

Torus Trooper - A highly fast-paced abstract shooter where you travel
down a tube as fast as you can, destroying enemies to regain your timer
and avoiding getting shot yourself (which causes you to lose time).

TUMIKI Fighters - A fun abstract side-scrolling shooter where you can
pick up enemy "toys" to use as both extra weapons and shields.

Which Way Is Up? - A simple puzzle-platformer centered around rotating
the stage to make it to the exit.

Word War vi - A simple, fun abstract shooter inspired by the famous
rivalry between Emacs and vi.

see also the authors own games under "games".
--
Cheers
Swedebugia

* Re: Libre games that might be worth packaging :)
@ 2019-03-17 18:36 ` swedebugia
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: swedebugia @ 2019-03-17 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 2019-03-17 17:51, swedebugia wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I just went through Julie Marchants excellent list of libre games:
> https://onpon4.github.io/articles/libre-games.html
>
> There are so many! :)
>
> Currently we are missing these (according to https://guix.mdc-berlin.de/):
>
> A7Xpg - An arcade game centered around avoiding enemies while collecting
> as many gold pieces as possible. Centered around a "booster" which
> repels enemies and makes you go faster.
>
> Adanaxis - A first-person 4-D space shooter game. Literally "adds an
> axis" to typical 3-D space shooters for a very unique experience.
> Alex the Allegator 4 - A fun, lighthearted, short platformer.
>
> Armagetron Advanced - A 3-D variant of the Light Cycles sub-game of the
> classic Tron arcade game. Highly configurable and very fun to play.

This we have already. :)

> [...]
> as you can through the level, without touching obstacles. Spraying the
> obstacles erodes them, clearing the path.
>
> Titanion - An abstract shooter game in a style similar to the bonus
> stages of Galaga, with great visuals and an emphasis on fast action.
>
> Torus Trooper - A highly fast-paced abstract shooter where you travel
> down a tube as fast as you can, destroying enemies to regain your timer
> and avoiding getting shot yourself (which causes you to lose time).
>
> TUMIKI Fighters - A fun abstract side-scrolling shooter where you can
> pick up enemy "toys" to use as both extra weapons and shields.
>
> Which Way Is Up? - A simple puzzle-platformer centered around rotating
> the stage to make it to the exit.
>
> Word War vi - A simple, fun abstract shooter inspired by the famous
> rivalry between Emacs and vi.
>
> see also the authors own games under "games".

My personal favorites include:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lincity-ng.berlios/
https://github.com/stuntrally/stuntrally (new version released a day ago)

--
Cheers
Swedebugia

* Re: Libre games that might be worth packaging :)
@ 2019-03-17 18:42 ` Dan Frumin
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dan Frumin @ 2019-03-17 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi!

On 17-03-19 17:51, swedebugia wrote:> Hi!

 > I just went through Julie Marchants excellent list of libre games: https://onpon4.github.io/articles/libre-games.html
 >
 > There are so many! :)
 >
 > Currently we are missing these (according to https://guix.mdc-berlin.de/):
 >
 >>  <....>>
 > Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup - A very fun and well-made dungeon crawl game with a nice interface. Find the "Orb of Zot" and then exit the dungeon (without
 > getting yourself killed, of course) to win!

I think this one is packaged: see the `crawl' and `crawl-tiles' packages.

Best, Dan

* Re: Libre games that might be worth packaging :)
@ 2019-03-17 18:49 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-03-17 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: guix-devel

swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net> writes:

> Battle Tanks - An engaging multiplayer overhead shooter game. Features
> deathmatch and cooperative modes. Includes a nice selection of tanks
> and weapons. When your current tank is destroyed, your character
> ejects from it as an infantry unit and can search for and board a new
> one, or continue fighting on foot.

We have this.  It’s called “btanks”.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Libre games that might be worth packaging :)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-03-17 18:53 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-03-17 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: guix-devel

swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net> writes:

> Currently we are missing these (according to
> https://guix.mdc-berlin.de/):

This is not a good general resource as it only shows the current
snapshot used by default at the MDC.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Libre games that might be worth packaging :)
@ 2019-03-18  7:25   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-03-18  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus, swedebugia; +Cc: guix-devel

> We have this.  It’s called “btanks”.

Shouldn't we name this "battle-tanks"?

> I think this one is packaged: see the `crawl' and `crawl-tiles' packages.

Shouldn't we name this "dungeon-crawl-stone-soup"?

> > Armagetron Advanced - A 3-D variant of the Light Cycles sub-game of the
> > classic Tron arcade game. Highly configurable and very fun to play.
>
> This we have already. :)

It's named "armagetronad".  Shouldn't we name this
"armagetron-advanced"?

Cheers!

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Libre games that might be worth packaging :)
@ 2019-03-18  9:14     ` Dan Frumin
From: Dan Frumin @ 2019-03-18  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 18-03-19 08:25, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> writes:
>
>> We have this.  It’s called “btanks”.
>
> Shouldn't we name this "battle-tanks"?
>

>> I think this one is packaged: see the `crawl' and `crawl-tiles' packages.
>
> Shouldn't we name this "dungeon-crawl-stone-soup"?

Possibly, but the official packages from crawl.develz.org are called `crawl' and `crawl-tiles'.
Maybe it is good to add the abbreviation "DCSS" somewhere in the description tho?

@ 2019-03-18 10:17       ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-03-18 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Frumin, guix-devel

Dan Frumin <dfrumin@cs.ru.nl> writes:

>> Shouldn't we name this "dungeon-crawl-stone-soup"?
>>

> Possibly, but the official packages from crawl.develz.org are called `crawl' and `crawl-tiles'.

Maybe packagers use abbreviated names, often with underscores or simply
no word separator.

I think we should not follow what other packagers do, but rather what
the _users_ expect.  The full program name is much more certain to be
known to the wider audience rather than some abbreviation that is only
known to the set of developers / restricted community members.

Guix follows Lisp's "hyphen-separated words" convention.  I like it a
lot and I believe it to be vastly superior since it give packages
meaningful names.

"crawl" matches both "crawl" and "dungeon-crawl-stone-soup".  "dungeon
crawl stone soup" does not match "crawl".

At the end of the day, no need to restrict our wording if nothing forces
us to ;)

> Maybe it is good to add the abbreviation "DCSS" somewhere in the description tho?

If DCSS is popular, why not.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Libre games that might be worth packaging :)
@ 2019-03-18 12:39         ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-03-18 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:

> Dan Frumin <dfrumin@cs.ru.nl> writes:
>
>>> Shouldn't we name this "dungeon-crawl-stone-soup"?
>>>

>> Possibly, but the official packages from crawl.develz.org are called `crawl' and `crawl-tiles'.
>
> Maybe packagers use abbreviated names, often with underscores or simply
> no word separator.
>
> I think we should not follow what other packagers do, but rather what
> the _users_ expect.  The full program name is much more certain to be
> known to the wider audience rather than some abbreviation that is only
> known to the set of developers / restricted community members.

This is what our packaging guidelines say:

14.4.2 Package Naming
---------------------

[…]
   Both [variable name and package name] […]
correspond to the lowercase conversion of the project name chosen
upstream, with underscores replaced with hyphens.

Ricardo

* Re: Libre games that might be worth packaging :)
@ 2019-03-18 13:55     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-03-18 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> writes:
>
>> We have this.  It’s called “btanks”.
>
> Shouldn't we name this "battle-tanks"?
>

>> I think this one is packaged: see the `crawl' and `crawl-tiles' packages.
>
> Shouldn't we name this "dungeon-crawl-stone-soup"?
>

>> > Armagetron Advanced - A 3-D variant of the Light Cycles sub-game of the
>> > classic Tron arcade game. Highly configurable and very fun to play.
>>
>> This we have already. :)
>
> It's named "armagetronad".  Shouldn't we name this
> "armagetron-advanced"?

Instead of renaming the packages (whose names follow our packaging
guidelines) how about adding the full name of the games to the
description?

--
Ricardo

* Re: Libre games that might be worth packaging :)
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-03-18 15:00 ` Kei Kebreau
From: Kei Kebreau @ 2019-03-18 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: guix-devel

swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I just went through Julie Marchants excellent list of libre games:
> https://onpon4.github.io/articles/libre-games.html
>
> There are so many! :)

I have packages for Adanaxis, Alex the Allegator 4, B.A.L.L.Z.,
Criticalmass and Dopewars. I'll clean them up and upload them when I can.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Libre games that might be worth packaging :)
@ 2019-03-18 15:32       ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-03-18 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

> Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:
>> It's named "armagetronad".  Shouldn't we name this
>> "armagetron-advanced"?
>
> Instead of renaming the packages (whose names follow our packaging
> guidelines) how about adding the full name of the games to the
> description?

That would not help interfaces like Emacs-Guix and Helm-System-Packages.
I think names are more important than having obsolete packages :)

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Libre games that might be worth packaging :)
@ 2019-03-19 11:06         ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2019-03-19 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt, Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> skrev: (18 mars 2019 16:32:26 CET)
>Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> writes:
>
>> Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:
>>> It's named "armagetronad".  Shouldn't we name this
>>> "armagetron-advanced"?
>>
>> Instead of renaming the packages (whose names follow our packaging
>> guidelines) how about adding the full name of the games to the
>> description?
>
>That would not help interfaces like Emacs-Guix and
>Helm-System-Packages.
>I think names are more important than having obsolete packages :)
>
>--
>Pierre Neidhardt
>https://ambrevar.xyz/

I agree.

What about adding a pretty name to show the user that matches the marketing name of the software?

Arch seems to have this and it is used in the gui tools like pamac but not on the command line.
We could solve this by adding a new optional field to the package record (pretty-name "Armagetron Advanced")

For the packages that lack this field I would in the gui display them like this:
(name "aircrack-ng") -> Aircrack-ng

--
Sent from my k-9 mail for Android.

* Re: Libre games that might be worth packaging :)
@ 2019-03-19 11:21           ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-03-19 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia, Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net> writes:
> Arch seems to have this and it is used in the gui tools like pamac but not on the command line.
> We could solve this by adding a new optional field to the package record (pretty-name "Armagetron Advanced")

Does it?  I could not find a mention of this in the PKGBUILD article:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD#pkgname

> For the packages that lack this field I would in the gui display them like this:
> (name "aircrack-ng") -> Aircrack-ng

Actually more like

  (name "aircrack-ng") -> Aircrack Ng

since hyphens are added by us.  In this specific example, it does not do
the right thing.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Libre games that might be worth packaging :)
@ 2019-03-26 13:20             ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-03-26 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia, Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

I've renamed a dozen of packages, hopefully to something more meaningful.

Since it was a little cumbersome to write the commit message, I made a
new "rename" snippet.  Check it out, it's cool! :)

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Libre games that might be worth packaging :)
@ 2019-03-29 11:49       ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2019-03-29 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus, Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2019-03-18 14:55, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:

> Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:
>
>> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> writes:
>>
>>> We have this.  It’s called “btanks”.
>>
>> Shouldn't we name this "battle-tanks"?
>>

>>> I think this one is packaged: see the `crawl' and `crawl-tiles' packages.
>>
>> Shouldn't we name this "dungeon-crawl-stone-soup"?

>>> This we have already. :)
>>
>> It's named "armagetronad".  Shouldn't we name this
>> "armagetron-advanced"?
>
> Instead of renaming the packages (whose names follow our packaging
> guidelines) how about adding the full name of the games to the
> description?

👍

This would have helped me find the packages when I compiled the list :)

--
Cheers Swedebugia