* Re: master 7ff88efc02: Fix coding style of recent change
       [not found] ` <20220523103126.3CD7EC051FF@vcs2.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2022-05-23 10:55   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-05-23 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Po Lu

>     Fix coding style of recent change
>
>     * src/emacs.c (main): Fix coding style by putting the = operator
>     on the right row.

[...]

> +      Lisp_Object rversion, rbranch, rtime;

Our coding style is not to put declarations of variables a long way away
from where they're used.  Please revert.

* Re: master 7ff88efc02: Fix coding style of recent change
@ 2022-05-23 11:53     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-05-23 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> +      Lisp_Object rversion, rbranch, rtime;

> Our coding style is not to put declarations of variables a long way away
> from where they're used.  Please revert.

It is to put the "=" on column 1.  It seemed cleaner to put it next to
`version' and `copyright' at the same time.

* Re: master 7ff88efc02: Fix coding style of recent change
@ 2022-05-23 12:01       ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-05-23 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> It is to put the "=" on column 1.

That bit was fine.

> It seemed cleaner to put it next to `version' and `copyright' at the
> same time.

It's a block that is longer than a screenful, so having those
definitions far away (and not used anywhere else in the block) doesn't
seem optimal to me.

* Re: master 7ff88efc02: Fix coding style of recent change
@ 2022-05-23 12:06         ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-05-23 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

> It's a block that is longer than a screenful, so having those
> definitions far away (and not used anywhere else in the block) doesn't
> seem optimal to me.

Sure, if you insist.  But while we're on the subject, why all the usage
of intern_c_string, instead of adding a couple of DEFSYMs in
syms_of_emacs?

* Re: master 7ff88efc02: Fix coding style of recent change
@ 2022-05-23 12:09           ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2022-05-23 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Sure, if you insist.  But while we're on the subject, why all the usage
> of intern_c_string, instead of adding a couple of DEFSYMs in
> syms_of_emacs?

Yeah -- I was just following the coding style in the function, but using
DEFSYM is probably what we prefer these days?  We've got about a 100
intern_c_string on constants, and should probably fix them.  Or at least
not add to them.