* nmbug in the Debian packages?
@ 2016-02-06 18:24 David Edmondson
From: David Edmondson @ 2016-02-06 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

I'd like to use nmbug without having to grovel around in the notmuch git
repository. Could it be added to the Debian package, please?

(I can try to prepare a patch, but figured that it merited discussion
first.)

* Re: nmbug in the Debian packages?
@ 2016-02-06 19:24 ` Tomi Ollila
From: Tomi Ollila @ 2016-02-06 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Edmondson, notmuch

On Sat, Feb 06 2016, David Edmondson <dme@dme.org> wrote:

> I'd like to use nmbug without having to grovel around in the notmuch git
> repository. Could it be added to the Debian package, please?

I think it should be put into *separate* debian package.

> (I can try to prepare a patch, but figured that it merited discussion
> first.)

Tomi

* Re: nmbug in the Debian packages?
@ 2016-02-06 19:25   ` David Edmondson
From: David Edmondson @ 2016-02-06 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomi Ollila, notmuch

On Sat, Feb 06 2016, Tomi Ollila wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 06 2016, David Edmondson <dme@dme.org> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to use nmbug without having to grovel around in the notmuch git
>> repository. Could it be added to the Debian package, please?
>
> I think it should be put into *separate* debian package.

I'm completely fine with that.

* Re: nmbug in the Debian packages?
@ 2016-02-06 21:15   ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2016-02-06 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomi Ollila, David Edmondson, notmuch

Tomi Ollila <tomi.ollila@iki.fi> writes:

> On Sat, Feb 06 2016, David Edmondson <dme@dme.org> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to use nmbug without having to grovel around in the notmuch git
>> repository. Could it be added to the Debian package, please?
>
> I think it should be put into *separate* debian package.

Out of curiousity, why do you think this? It only depends on the CLI and
python.

* Re: nmbug in the Debian packages?
@ 2016-02-06 21:50     ` Tomi Ollila
From: Tomi Ollila @ 2016-02-06 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, David Edmondson, notmuch

On Sat, Feb 06 2016, David Bremner <david@tethera.net> wrote:

> Tomi Ollila <tomi.ollila@iki.fi> writes:
>
>> On Sat, Feb 06 2016, David Edmondson <dme@dme.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to use nmbug without having to grovel around in the notmuch git
>>> repository. Could it be added to the Debian package, please?
>>
>> I think it should be put into *separate* debian package.
>>

> Out of curiousity, why do you think this? It only depends on the CLI and
> python.

so that nmbug is not in 'notmuch' debian package but in 'nmbug' or
'notmuch-nmbug' package (like we now have 'notmuch-emacs' package).

Tomi

* Re: nmbug in the Debian packages?
@ 2016-02-08 11:33 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2016-02-08 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Edmondson, notmuch

David Edmondson <dme@dme.org> writes:

> I'd like to use nmbug without having to grovel around in the notmuch git
> repository. Could it be added to the Debian package, please?
>
> (I can try to prepare a patch, but figured that it merited discussion
> first.)

I see two options with my debian packager hat on. We can include it in
/usr/bin along and install a proper man page, or just copy it into
/usr/share/doc/notmuch/examples.

* Re: nmbug in the Debian packages?
@ 2016-02-08 11:39   ` David Edmondson
From: David Edmondson @ 2016-02-08 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, notmuch

On Mon, Feb 08 2016, David Bremner <david@tethera.net> wrote:
> David Edmondson <dme@dme.org> writes:
>
>> I'd like to use nmbug without having to grovel around in the notmuch git
>> repository. Could it be added to the Debian package, please?
>>
>> (I can try to prepare a patch, but figured that it merited discussion
>> first.)
>
> I see two options with my debian packager hat on. We can include it in
> /usr/bin along and install a proper man page, or just copy it into
> /usr/share/doc/notmuch/examples.

The first would obviously be easier to use, but I could just make
symlink in ~/bin to make the second work out fine.

* Re: nmbug in the Debian packages?
@ 2016-02-08 19:38   ` W. Trevor King
From: W. Trevor King @ 2016-02-08 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner; +Cc: David Edmondson, notmuch

On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 07:33:10AM -0400, David Bremner wrote:
> We can include it in /usr/bin along and install a proper man page…

I'm happy to write up a man page.  Do you want it in a separate
directory from nmbug-status / notmuch-report [1]?  Do you want to
rename nmbug to something notmuch-* namespaced?

Cheers,
Trevor

[1]: id:20160206205030.GH11261@odin.tremily.us

* Re: nmbug in the Debian packages?
@ 2016-02-13 18:17     ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2016-02-13 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: W. Trevor King; +Cc: David Edmondson, notmuch

"W. Trevor King" <wking@tremily.us> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 07:33:10AM -0400, David Bremner wrote:
>> We can include it in /usr/bin along and install a proper man page…
>
> I'm happy to write up a man page.  Do you want it in a separate
> directory from nmbug-status / notmuch-report [1]?  Do you want to
> rename nmbug to something notmuch-* namespaced?

I guess if we're going to treat it as a first class citizen, then yeah,
it should be in the notmuch- namespace. It would also need some tests.
I'm not sure how (or if) to address the problem that most notmuch
commands are actually invoked via the main binary, but I don't think we
have any logic to transform "notmuch foo" to a call to an external
binary notmuch-foo.

* Re: nmbug in the Debian packages?
@ 2016-02-13 22:02       ` W. Trevor King
From: W. Trevor King @ 2016-02-13 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner; +Cc: David Edmondson, notmuch

On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 02:17:44PM -0400, David Bremner wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 07:33:10AM -0400, David Bremner wrote:
> >> We can include it in /usr/bin along and install a proper man page…
> >
> > I'm happy to write up a man page.  Do you want it in a separate
> > directory from nmbug-status / notmuch-report [1]?  Do you want to
> > rename nmbug to something notmuch-* namespaced?
>
> I guess if we're going to treat it as a first class citizen, then
> yeah, it should be in the notmuch- namespace.

I'd floated notmuch-dtag earlier [1].  Does that sound right?  Or do
folks prefer another name?

> It would also need some tests.

In tests/, or devel/dtag/tests?  If the latter, how should I handle
the test framework?  Symlinks to the main tests/?  Copies?  Sharness
submodule?  Other ideas?

> I'm not sure how (or if) to address the problem that most notmuch
> commands are actually invoked via the main binary, but I don't think
> we have any logic to transform "notmuch foo" to a call to an
> external binary notmuch-foo.

That seems like something that could be handled independently.  If
folks want to set it up, adjusting the !command handler in notmuch.c's
main() or adjusting find_command to fall back to “this is probably an
external command” seem doable.

Cheers,
Trevor

[1]: id:20151231202815.GL3680@odin.tremily.us
     http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.mail.notmuch.general/21535/focus=21536

* Re: nmbug in the Debian packages?
@ 2016-02-14  0:49         ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2016-02-14  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: W. Trevor King; +Cc: David Edmondson, notmuch

"W. Trevor King" <wking@tremily.us> writes:

> I'd floated notmuch-dtag earlier [1].  Does that sound right?  Or do
> folks prefer another name?

I'd like to hear feedback from others about that.

>> It would also need some tests.
>
> In tests/, or devel/dtag/tests?  If the latter, how should I handle
> the test framework?  Symlinks to the main tests/?  Copies?  Sharness
> submodule?  Other ideas?

in test/

> That seems like something that could be handled independently.  If
> folks want to set it up, adjusting the !command handler in notmuch.c's
> main() or adjusting find_command to fall back to “this is probably an
> external command” seem doable.

yeah, I guess there's no need to overcomplicate thing. But let's adopt a
git-style convention of "notmuch-foo" for script names, so we can make
it more transparent later, if needed.

* Re: nmbug in the Debian packages?
@ 2016-02-16 13:16         ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2016-02-16 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: W. Trevor King; +Cc: notmuch

"W. Trevor King" <wking@tremily.us> writes:

> I'd floated notmuch-dtag earlier [1].  Does that sound right?  Or do
> folks prefer another name?

I had a thought about this. The password manager "pass" uses

   pass git {push|pull}

for git related operations. Perhaps that would make sense for us as
well? So initially "notmuch-git".  I'm of course open to better ideas,
but especially since you pushed a bit to make the interface follow git
more closely, perhaps that's a more informative name than "dtag".  It
also leaves open the possibility of stashing other metadata than tags,
should something like [1] come to pass.

On the other hand, it's true that what we're doing is less transparent
than what pass does, which is really just pass the arguments straight
through to git.

[1] id:1453561198-2893-2-git-send-email-david@tethera.net

* Re: nmbug in the Debian packages?
@ 2016-02-17 10:55           ` David Edmondson
From: David Edmondson @ 2016-02-17 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, W. Trevor King; +Cc: notmuch

On Tue, Feb 16 2016, David Bremner wrote:
> "W. Trevor King" <wking@tremily.us> writes:
>

>> I'd floated notmuch-dtag earlier [1].  Does that sound right?  Or do
>> folks prefer another name?
>>

> I had a thought about this. The password manager "pass" uses
>
>    pass git {push|pull}
>
> for git related operations. Perhaps that would make sense for us as
> well?

My initial reaction is that there might be many other potential
interpretations of what "notmuch-git" functionality should look like (as
distinct from current nmbug functionality).

As you mention below, there's quite a lot of implementation in nmbug
that is not simply "put some stuff in a git repository".