all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)
       [not found] <CA+H0LRPUfE=LmSETuasan3bEjEkGPXRFoE5Qrd-9G8DYO8buTQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2018-10-17  6:45 ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2018-10-17  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lakshmi Prasannakumar; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Lakshmi,

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 09:04:40 +0530
Lakshmi Prasannakumar <lakshmiprasannakumaran@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi  Björn,
> I write to you in regards to the project description seen at the
> Outreachy project list. I would like to join your community and start
> contributing to the documentation part of it.

Welcome to Guix! I'm adding the public mailing list on CC, so other
community members can also answer if necessary. Also adding Gabor on
CC, who is the main mentor.

>  Though I have joined
> the IRC channel for GNU GUIX, I'm continually receiving the error
> message as below on sending messages:
> == Cannot send to nick/channel

There was recently a spam attack on the freenode IRC network. Since
then you need to register your nick name before it is possible to join
the #guix channel. If you haven't done that yet, here are the
instructions:

https://freenode.net/kb/answer/registration

You can also join the mailing list and write there.

> My understanding regarding the project contribution is to make
> video tutorials on how to install and use GNU GUIX.
> Could you kindly direct me with some initial task so that I can start
> working on it and get familiar with the environment?

Yes, that's right, video documentation is the job. One requirement for
Outreachy is to make a first, formal contribution to the project. For
Guix that means you could add a new package.

But the very first step is to install Guix and get used to it. You can
install Guix either on top of another Linux-Distribution or standalone,
in a virtual mashine or on real hardware. On top of an existing distro
is probably the easiest step.

The docs for installation should be linked from the Outreachy Project
site, I post it also here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Binary-Installation.html#Binary-Installation

If you have any questions feel free to ask (preferably on the mailing
list, or if it works for you, on IRC).

Yours,

Björn

* Re: Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)
@ 2018-10-17  8:11   ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-17  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: Guix-devel, Lakshmi Prasannakumar

Hello Lakshmi,
Welcome to Guix!

Björn Höfling <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de> ezt írta (időpont: 2018.
okt. 17., Sze 8:45):

> Hi Lakshmi,
>
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 09:04:40 +0530
> Lakshmi Prasannakumar <lakshmiprasannakumaran@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi  Björn,
> > I write to you in regards to the project description seen at the
> > Outreachy project list. I would like to join your community and start
> > contributing to the documentation part of it.
>
> Welcome to Guix! I'm adding the public mailing list on CC, so other
> community members can also answer if necessary. Also adding Gabor on
> CC, who is the main mentor.
>
> >  Though I have joined
> > the IRC channel for GNU GUIX, I'm continually receiving the error
> > message as below on sending messages:
> > == Cannot send to nick/channel
>
> There was recently a spam attack on the freenode IRC network. Since
> then you need to register your nick name before it is possible to join
> the #guix channel. If you haven't done that yet, here are the
> instructions:
>
> https://freenode.net/kb/answer/registration
>
> You can also join the mailing list and write there.
>
> > My understanding regarding the project contribution is to make
> > video tutorials on how to install and use GNU GUIX.
> > Could you kindly direct me with some initial task so that I can start
> > working on it and get familiar with the environment?
>
> Yes, that's right, video documentation is the job. One requirement for
> Outreachy is to make a first, formal contribution to the project. For
> Guix that means you could add a new package.
>
> But the very first step is to install Guix and get used to it. You can
> install Guix either on top of another Linux-Distribution or standalone,
> in a virtual mashine or on real hardware. On top of an existing distro
> is probably the easiest step.
>
> The docs for installation should be linked from the Outreachy Project
> site, I post it also here:
>

> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Binary-Installation.html#Binary-Installation

Yes, installation would be the first step.

> If you have any questions feel free to ask (preferably on the mailing
> list, or if it works for you, on IRC).
>
> Yours,
>
> Björn

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)
@ 2018-10-18  9:22     ` Lakshmi Prasannakumar
From: Lakshmi Prasannakumar @ 2018-10-18  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: boskovits; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Gábor,

I have followed the Binary-Installation procedures and installed the hello
package to my root.
The next step I understand is to add another package from the list in
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/
I tried following this step to install a package from the list i.e. 4ti2
1.6.7 using the below commands:
*guix package -i 4ti2 1.6.7*

However, I got the error as :

*guile: warning: failed to install localehint: Consider installing the
`glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales' package anddefining `GUIX_LOCPATH',
along these lines:     guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales     export
GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"See the "Application Setup"
section in the manual, for more info.*
Is it due my incomplete GUIX installation or are there further steps to
follow?

Thanks,

Lakshmi Prasannakumar
Bangalore

@ 2018-10-18 11:46       ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2018-10-18 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lakshmi Prasannakumar; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Lakshmi,

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 14:52:30 +0530
Lakshmi Prasannakumar <lakshmiprasannakumaran@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Gábor,
>
> I have followed the Binary-Installation procedures and installed the
> hello package to my root.
> The next step I understand is to add another package from the list in
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/
> I tried following this step to install a package from the list i.e.
> 4ti2 1.6.7 using the below commands:
> *guix package -i 4ti2 1.6.7*
>
> However, I got the error as :
>

> *guile: warning: failed to install localehint: Consider installing the
> `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales' package anddefining
> `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:     guix package -i
> glibc-utf8-locales     export
> GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"See the "Application
> Setup" section in the manual, for more info.* Is it due my incomplete
> GUIX installation or are there further steps to follow?

I think there is no error. As it says, this is only a warning. Or is
there anything else I have overseen in your message?

If unsure, you can check the return code of the previous command by
directly typing

echo $?

The return code should be 0.

You can also list the installed packages in Guix and see if hello and
4ti2 are installed:

guix package -I

Note the CAPITAL I.

You can also list the generations. As you first installed hello and in
a second step you installed 4ti2, there should be at least two
generations:

guix package --list-generations

The warning is about the locale. To get rid of it, do exactly what the
warning says, and/or read the section of the manual that the warning is
pointing to :-)

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/guix.html#Application-Setup

Hope this helps, otherwise feel free to ask,

Björn

* Re: Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)
@ 2018-10-18 11:52         ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-18 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: Guix-devel, Lakshmi Prasannakumar

Hello Lakshmi,

Björn Höfling <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de> ezt írta (időpont:
2018. okt. 18., Cs, 13:46):

> Hi Lakshmi,
>
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 14:52:30 +0530
> Lakshmi Prasannakumar <lakshmiprasannakumaran@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Gábor,
> >
> > I have followed the Binary-Installation procedures and installed the
> > hello package to my root.
> > The next step I understand is to add another package from the list in
> > https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/
> > I tried following this step to install a package from the list i.e.
> > 4ti2 1.6.7 using the below commands:
> > *guix package -i 4ti2 1.6.7*
> >
> > However, I got the error as :
> >

> > *guile: warning: failed to install localehint: Consider installing the
> > `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales' package anddefining
> > `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:     guix package -i
> > glibc-utf8-locales     export
> > GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"See the "Application
> > Setup" section in the manual, for more info.* Is it due my incomplete
> > GUIX installation or are there further steps to follow?

It is safe to ignore these warnings for now. If it causes any problem,
we can return to that,
but unfortunalety sometimes this is hard to debug on foreign distros.
You could try following
the instuctions in the warning, but it does not help then just ignore
them for now.

> I think there is no error. As it says, this is only a warning. Or is
> there anything else I have overseen in your message?
>
> If unsure, you can check the return code of the previous command by
> directly typing
>
> echo $?
>
> The return code should be 0.
>
> You can also list the installed packages in Guix and see if hello and
> 4ti2 are installed:
>
> guix package -I
>
> Note the CAPITAL I,
>
> You can also list the generations. As you first installed hello and in
> a second step you installed 4ti2, there should be at least two
> generations:
>
> guix package --list-generations
>
> The warning is about the locale. To get rid of it, do exactly what the
> warning says, and/or read the section of the manual that the warning is
> pointing to :-)
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/guix.html#Application-Setup
>
> Hope this helps, otherwise feel free to ask,
>
> Björn

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)
@ 2018-10-18 12:37           ` Lakshmi Prasannakumar
From: Lakshmi Prasannakumar @ 2018-10-18 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: boskovits; +Cc: guix-devel

@Björn and @Gábor

Thanks a lot. It did work fine.

Now as the next step I assume, I have to add a new package.  I can see from
there are lot many packages listed in the
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/ in alphabetic order. So should
I find a new package and add it?

If it is to add a new package, I see the Anaconda Package missing there.
And may be I could add that in the format mentioned in 4.1 defining package
, is that correct?

 Or should I proceed with creating video tutorials for the steps I did
until now ?

Thanks,
Lakshmi Prasannakumar
Bangalore

@ 2018-10-18 13:00             ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-18 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lakshmi Prasannakumar; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Lakshmi,

Lakshmi Prasannakumar <lakshmiprasannakumaran@gmail.com> ezt írta
(időpont: 2018. okt. 18., Cs, 14:38):

> @Björn and @Gábor
>
> Thanks a lot. It did work fine.
>
> Now as the next step I assume, I have to add a new package.  I can see from there are lot many packages listed in the https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/ in alphabetic order. So should I find a new package and add it?

Yes, that is correct.

> If it is to add a new package, I see the Anaconda Package missing there. And may be I could add that in the format mentioned in 4.1 defining package , is that correct?

Yes, that is correct. We usually recommend to add a package we have an
importer for. Anaconda could be a good candidate, if you wish to
package it, and I guess we have a lot of unpackaged dependencies of
anaconda.
Note that you have to package all the dependencies to package
something for guix. Packaging a single dependency would do for now.
Please see https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-import.html
for
more information about importers. (For example R packages from CRAN or
bioconductor have a good quality importer)

>  Or should I proceed with creating video tutorials for the steps I did until now ?

Not yet, we should leave that for later, if it is possible.

> Thanks,
> Lakshmi Prasannakumar
> Bangalore
>

> On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 5:22 PM Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Lakshmi,
>>
>> Björn Höfling <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de> ezt írta (időpont:
>> 2018. okt. 18., Cs, 13:46):
>> >
>> > Hi Lakshmi,

>> It is safe to ignore these warnings for now. If it causes any problem,
>> we can return to that,
>> but unfortunalety sometimes this is hard to debug on foreign distros.
>> You could try following
>> the instuctions in the warning, but it does not help then just ignore
>> them for now.
>>

>> > I think there is no error. As it says, this is only a warning. Or is
>> > there anything else I have overseen in your message?
>> >
>> > If unsure, you can check the return code of the previous command by
>> > directly typing
>> >
>> > echo $?
>> >
>> > The return code should be 0.
>> >
>> > You can also list the installed packages in Guix and see if hello and
>> > 4ti2 are installed:
>> >
>> > guix package -I
>> >
>> > Note the CAPITAL I,
>> >
>> > You can also list the generations. As you first installed hello and in
>> > a second step you installed 4ti2, there should be at least two
>> > generations:
>> >
>> > guix package --list-generations
>> >
>> > The warning is about the locale. To get rid of it, do exactly what the
>> > warning says, and/or read the section of the manual that the warning is
>> > pointing to :-)
>> >
>> > https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/guix.html#Application-Setup
>> >
>> > Hope this helps, otherwise feel free to ask,
>> >
>> > Björn
>>
>> Best regards,
>> g_bor

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)
@ 2018-10-23 12:34               ` Lakshmi Prasannakumar
From: Lakshmi Prasannakumar @ 2018-10-23 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Gábor and Björn,

I was trying to install the new packages with the documentation mentioned
in the Outreachy site as below
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Defining-Packages.html

Here I see a code to define a package for 'Hello' and I assume in order to
define a package for Anaconda I just need to change this code with source,
url details of Anaconda something like this as mentioned in the bold.

*(define-module (gnu packages Anaconda)*
*  #:use-module (guix packages)*
*  #:use-module (guix download)*
*  #:use-module (guix build-system Anaconda)*
*  #:use-module (guix licenses)*
*  #:use-module (gnu packages gawk))*

*(define-public Anaconda*
*  (package*
*    (name "Anaconda")*
*    (version "3.10")*
*    (source (origin*
*              (method url-fetch)*
*              (uri (string-append "Anaconda's Website URL" version*
*                                  ".tar.gz"))*
*              (sha256*
*               (base32*
*                "0ssi1wpaf7plaswqqjwigppsg5fyh99vdlb9kzl7c9lng89ndq1i"))))*
*    (build-system gnu-build-system)*
*    (arguments '(#:configure-flags '("--enable-silent-rules")))*
*    (inputs `(("gawk" ,gawk)))*
*    (synopsis "Hello, GNU world: An example GNU package")*
*    (description "Guess what GNU Hello prints!")*
*    (home-page "http://www.gnu.org/software/hello/
<http://www.gnu.org/software/hello/>")*
*    (license gpl3+)))*

Request you to guide me to get a better understanding here as I saw one
more page in this url, that uses some pull commands to run some build etc.
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-pull.html#Invoking-guix-pull

Thanks,
Lakshmi Prasannakumar
Bangalore

@ 2018-10-23 18:22                 ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-23 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lakshmi Prasannakumar; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Lakshmi,

Lakshmi Prasannakumar <lakshmiprasannakumaran@gmail.com> ezt írta
(időpont: 2018. okt. 23., K, 14:35):

> Hi Gábor and Björn,
>
> I was trying to install the new packages with the documentation mentioned in the Outreachy site as below
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Defining-Packages.html
>
> Here I see a code to define a package for 'Hello' and I assume in order to define a package for Anaconda I just need to change this code with source, url details of Anaconda something like this as mentioned in the bold.

I suggest leaving packaging this for later.

I assume we are talking about this package here:
https://github.com/Anaconda-Platform/anaconda-project

> (define-module (gnu packages Anaconda)

I believe we already have a module where this would fit, so please
look around in gnu/packages for filenames where you could add this.

>   #:use-module (guix packages)
>   #:use-module (guix download)
>   #:use-module (guix build-system Anaconda)

There is no such build system, most probably you will need
python-build-system here.

>   #:use-module (guix licenses)
>   #:use-module (gnu packages gawk))

I don't think you will need gawk here...

> (define-public Anaconda

I believe 'anaconda' would be better.

>   (package
>     (name "Anaconda")

Also here.

>     (version "3.10")
>     (source (origin
>               (method url-fetch)
>               (uri (string-append "Anaconda's Website URL" version
>                                   ".tar.gz"))

Most probably you should fetch from some python package repository.

>               (sha256
>                (base32
>                 "0ssi1wpaf7plaswqqjwigppsg5fyh99vdlb9kzl7c9lng89ndq1i"))))
>     (build-system gnu-build-system)

Also python-build-system here.

>     (arguments '(#:configure-flags '("--enable-silent-rules")))
>     (inputs `(("gawk" ,gawk)))

These well need adjustment, as needed for the given package.

>     (synopsis "Hello, GNU world: An example GNU package")
>     (description "Guess what GNU Hello prints!")
>     (home-page "http://www.gnu.org/software/hello/")
>     (license gpl3+)))
>
> Request you to guide me to get a better understanding here as I saw one more page in this url, that uses some pull commands to run some build etc.
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-pull.html#Invoking-guix-pull
>
> Thanks,
> Lakshmi Prasannakumar
> Bangalore

With all that said, what I recommend is to try either:

1. use guix import to get the metadata for this package, if it is
available in pypi.
2. use guix import to generate a definition for some package from the
cran repository instead. (These are easy to package, the importer does
most of the job).

I would try #2 first, as it is a good way to get a contribution fast.

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)
@ 2018-10-29  9:25                   ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-29  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lakshmi Prasannakumar; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Lakshmi,

Could you give us a status update?

There is only one week left until the deadline, and it usually takes
about 3-4 day to get
in a contribution.

Should you need any help, please contact me.

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)
@ 2018-10-29 18:12                     ` Lakshmi Prasannakumar
From: Lakshmi Prasannakumar @ 2018-10-29 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Gábor,

Thanks for checking. I was out of town with limited access to the internet
due to a personal emergency. So haven't actually progressed much on adding
the package. I have just started to follow up from where I left off last
week now in terms of adding the package. Would definitely get back to you
in case of any blocks or doubts.

Thanks and Regards,
Lakshmi Prasannakumar
Bangalore

@ 2018-10-29 19:57                       ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2018-10-29 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lakshmi Prasannakumar; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Lakshmi,

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 23:42:50 +0530
Lakshmi Prasannakumar <lakshmiprasannakumaran@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Gábor,
>
> Thanks for checking. I was out of town with limited access to the
> internet due to a personal emergency. So haven't actually progressed
> much on adding the package. I have just started to follow up from
> where I left off last week now in terms of adding the package. Would
> definitely get back to you in case of any blocks or doubts.

welcome back. I hope everything goes well again for you.

Concerning your package contribution, try to get it going quickly,
there is only one week left. If you have questions, ask on the mailing
list, people are here to help you.

Which 'Anaconda' are you packaging? I'm not sure if that is the best
choice. All Anacondas I saw look complicated, with dependencies and
other issues. It would be for example enough to just submit one
dependency that is not yet part of Guix.

Björn

* Re: Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)
@ 2018-10-29 20:03                       ` Lakshmi Prasannakumar
From: Lakshmi Prasannakumar @ 2018-10-29 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Gábor,
I just tried to import a package called 'weights' from cran repository. Its
a package related to weighting and weighted statistics. I am attaching the
definition package with this mail. Please find the attachment.
In the next step I understand that we are suppose to store this in a file
in the Guix store tree. I'm not sure about how to proceed with this step.
Is it like pushing to git ?

Thanks,
Lakshmi Prasannakumar
Bangalore

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 11:42 PM Lakshmi Prasannakumar <
lakshmiprasannakumaran@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Gábor,
>
> Thanks for checking. I was out of town with limited access to the internet
> due to a personal emergency. So haven't actually progressed much on adding
> the package. I have just started to follow up from where I left off last
> week now in terms of adding the package. Would definitely get back to you
> in case of any blocks or doubts.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Lakshmi Prasannakumar
> Bangalore
>

> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 2:55 PM Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello Lakshmi,
>>
>> Could you give us a status update?
>>
>> There is only one week left until the deadline, and it usually takes
>> about 3-4 day to get
>> in a contribution.
>>
>> Should you need any help, please contact me.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> g_bor

[-- Attachment #2: weights_package_definition --]

$ guix import cran weights
guile: warning: failed to install locale
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales' package and defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

     guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales
     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.6RIXoZ
From http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/weights_1.0.tar.gz...
 ....0.tar.gz  30KiB                  146KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
(package
  (name "r-weights")
  (version "1.0")
  (source
    (origin
      (method url-fetch)
      (uri (cran-uri "weights" version))
      (sha256
        (base32
          "0186bfpkhxngrshac6bpg37alp6slwhwd43inrm8hqg0vhpfgc4c"))))
  (build-system r-build-system)
  (propagated-inputs
    `(("r-gdata" ,r-gdata)
      ("r-hmisc" ,r-hmisc)
      ("r-mice" ,r-mice)))
  (home-page
    "http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/weights")
  (synopsis "Weighting and Weighted Statistics")
  (description
    "Provides a variety of functions for producing simple weighted statistics, such as weighted Pearson's correlations, partial correlations, Chi-Squared statistics, histograms, and t-tests.  Also now includes some software for quickly recoding survey data and plotting point estimates from interaction terms in regressions (and multiply imputed regressions).  NOTE: Weighted partial correlation calculations pulled to address a bug.")
  (license gpl2+))

* Re: Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)
@ 2018-10-29 20:18                         ` Lakshmi Prasannakumar
From: Lakshmi Prasannakumar @ 2018-10-29 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: guix-devel

@Gábor
Just missed your last email.
Yes, its all settled now on my side :)

And regarding anaconda, yes even I figured out the difficulty level at
this point of time, hence I chose a package from cran repository. Guess at
a later point of time, after successfully add a package, could get back to
try with anaconda.

Regards,

Lakshmi Prasannakumar
Bangalore

@ 2018-10-29 20:25                         ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2018-10-29 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lakshmi Prasannakumar; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Lakshmi,

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 01:33:57 +0530
Lakshmi Prasannakumar <lakshmiprasannakumaran@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Gábor,
> I just tried to import a package called 'weights' from cran
> repository. Its a package related to weighting and weighted
> statistics. I am attaching the definition package with this mail.
> Please find the attachment. In the next step I understand that we are
> suppose to store this in a file in the Guix store tree. I'm not sure
> about how to proceed with this step. Is it like pushing to git ?

"Pushing" would be only the final step. But that is only allowed for
registered developers.

To start: Follow the instructions in section 7 of the documentation:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/guix.html#Contributing

To summarize it, you need to clone the git sources and then add your
package definition to the gnu/packages/cran.scm file, commit your
changes with a commit message as explained in section 7.5 (Submitting
Patches). Finally instead of pushing, you generate a patch file with
`git format-patch` and send it to the patches tracker.

Does that sound reasonable?

Björn

* Re: Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)
@ 2018-10-29 20:27                           ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2018-10-29 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lakshmi Prasannakumar; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 01:48:36 +0530
Lakshmi Prasannakumar <lakshmiprasannakumaran@gmail.com> wrote:

> @Gábor
> Just missed your last email.
> Yes, its all settled now on my side :)
>
> And regarding anaconda, yes even I figured out the difficulty level at
> this point of time, hence I chose a package from cran repository.
> Guess at a later point of time, after successfully add a package,
> could get back to try with anaconda.

It was me, Björn, not Gabor :-) But I also just missed your other email
and answered to that :-) Looks good so far.

Björn

* Re: Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)
@ 2018-10-29 20:40                             ` Lakshmi Prasannakumar
From: Lakshmi Prasannakumar @ 2018-10-29 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Björn,

Apologies for addressing wrong. I blame it on my long travel and would be
careful the next time :)
Thank you for guiding me with the next steps, I have understood what
needs to be done next and will work on it and get back to you soon with
an update.

Regards,
Lakshmi Prasannakumar
Bangalore

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 1:57 AM Björn Höfling <

@ 2018-10-29 20:58                               ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-29 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lakshmi Prasannakumar; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Lakshmi,

I did a preliminary review, that can make this contribution faster.
Here are my comments:

(package
  (name "r-weights")
  (version "1.0")
  (source
    (origin
      (method url-fetch)
      (uri (cran-uri "weights" version))
      (sha256
        (base32
          "0186bfpkhxngrshac6bpg37alp6slwhwd43inrm8hqg0vhpfgc4c"))))
  (build-system r-build-system)
  (propagated-inputs
    `(("r-gdata" ,r-gdata)
      ("r-hmisc" ,r-hmisc)
      ("r-mice" ,r-mice)))
  (home-page
    "http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/weights")
  (synopsis "Weighting and Weighted Statistics")

Please use lower case for all words except the first.
The importer cannot find out which letters should be lower case,
this has to be done manually.

  (description
    "Provides a variety of functions for producing simple weighted
statistics, such as weighted Pearson's correlations, partial
correlations, Chi-Squared statistics, histograms, and t-tests.  Also
now includes some software for quickly recoding survey data and
plotting point estimates from interaction terms in regressions (and
multiply imputed regressions).  NOTE: Weighted partial correlation
calculations pulled to address a bug.")

Please, try to repharse this so that it has whole sentences, for
example like "This package provides...".

  (license gpl2+))

With these small modifications this looks good to me.

* Re: Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)
@ 2018-10-30 18:20                                 ` Lakshmi Prasannakumar
From: Lakshmi Prasannakumar @ 2018-10-30 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: guix-devel

Thanks Gábor,
I'll make these changes and make a patch file and try to send across.

Lakshmi Prasannakumar
Bangalore

@ 2018-10-31  4:45                                   ` Lakshmi Prasannakumar
From: Lakshmi Prasannakumar @ 2018-10-31  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Björn and Gábor,

I've sent the patch file to the patch tracker.
Now I understand next this is to send you the timeline proposal for the
internship period , is it so?
The patch submission took me a little while since my system needed an
update due to ubuntu version becoming obsolete.

Thanks,
Lakshmi Prasannakumar
Bangalore

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 11:50 PM Lakshmi Prasannakumar <

@ 2018-10-31  4:46                                     ` Lakshmi Prasannakumar
From: Lakshmi Prasannakumar @ 2018-10-31  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: guix-devel

I would also like to know how to get the tracker number for the patch file
tracker.

Regards,
Lakshmi Prasannakumar
Bangalore

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 10:15 AM Lakshmi Prasannakumar <

@ 2018-10-31  7:18                                       ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-31  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lakshmi Prasannakumar; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Lakshmi,

Lakshmi Prasannakumar <lakshmiprasannakumaran@gmail.com> ezt írta
(időpont: 2018. okt. 31., Sze, 5:46):

> I would also like to know how to get the tracker number for the patch file tracker.

You should receive an e-mail from the tracker stating the number,
something like:
bugnumber: Acknowledgement (title of bug)

you can send further communications related to the bug to the address mentioned.
Please also keep relevant parties CC-d, so that we can react fast.

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)
@ 2018-10-31  7:20                                     ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-31  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lakshmi Prasannakumar; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Lakshmi,

Lakshmi Prasannakumar <lakshmiprasannakumaran@gmail.com> ezt írta
(időpont: 2018. okt. 31., Sze, 5:45):

> Hi Björn and Gábor,
>
> I've sent the patch file to the patch tracker.

I will have a look.

@ 2018-10-31  8:32                                       ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-31  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lakshmi Prasannakumar; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Lakshmi,

Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt.
31., Sze, 8:20):

> Hello Lakshmi,
>
> Lakshmi Prasannakumar <lakshmiprasannakumaran@gmail.com> ezt írta
> (időpont: 2018. okt. 31., Sze, 5:45):
> >
> > Hi Björn and Gábor,
> >
> > I've sent the patch file to the patch tracker.
>
> I will have a look.

I can't see this on the issue tracker.

@ 2018-11-01 17:01                                         ` Lakshmi Prasannakumar
From: Lakshmi Prasannakumar @ 2018-11-01 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Gábor and Björn,

The below link contains the timeline proposal for the internship period.
Request you to kindly review them and let me know the changes to be made.
I've given edit permission to both of you incase you want to edit or
comment in the doc.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pLw2bm8R6Kc-qdqJWQ1l6rYZh77GSuqF7v2e9ndcck8/edit?usp=sharing

@Gábor
Could you confirm on the patch file I had sent, is there any change that I
need to make on the same ?

Thanks and Regards,
Lakshmi Prasannakumar
Bangalore

@ 2018-11-01 17:36                                         ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-11-01 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lakshmi Prasannakumar; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Lakshmi,

Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt.
31., Sze, 9:32):

> Hello Lakshmi,
>
> Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt.
> 31., Sze, 8:20):
> >
> > Hello Lakshmi,
> >
> > Lakshmi Prasannakumar <lakshmiprasannakumaran@gmail.com> ezt írta
> > (időpont: 2018. okt. 31., Sze, 5:45):
> > >
> > > Hi Björn and Gábor,
> > >
> > > I've sent the patch file to the patch tracker.
> >
> > I will have a look.
> >

> I can't see this on the issue tracker.

I can see this now.
Somehow the commit message is still a bti off, maybe a linebreak is missing.
It looks good to me overall, is it ok for you if I adjust the commit message and
push, or would you like to have another look?

> > > Now I understand next this is to send you the timeline proposal for the internship period , is it so?
> >
> > Yes, that is correct.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > g_bor

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)
@ 2018-11-01 17:48                                           ` Lakshmi Prasannakumar
       [not found]                                             ` <CA+H0LRPuwTtrh2d=TD+qtmUoibmLaAPCrjSSwZ=QBZv-8+8vZA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Lakshmi Prasannakumar @ 2018-11-01 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Gábor,

Let me try once again. I would get back to you soon.

Regards,
Lakshmi Prasannakumar
Bangalore

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 11:06 PM Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Lakshmi,
>
> Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt.
> 31., Sze, 9:32):
> >
> > Hello Lakshmi,
> >
> > Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt.
> > 31., Sze, 8:20):
> > >
> > > Hello Lakshmi,
> > >
> > > Lakshmi Prasannakumar <lakshmiprasannakumaran@gmail.com> ezt írta
> > > (időpont: 2018. okt. 31., Sze, 5:45):

> > > I will have a look.
> > >

> > I can't see this on the issue tracker.
> >

> I can see this now.
> Somehow the commit message is still a bti off, maybe a linebreak is
> missing.
> It looks good to me overall, is it ok for you if I adjust the commit
> message and
> push, or would you like to have another look?

> the internship period , is it so?
> > >
> > > Yes, that is correct.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > g_bor
>
> Best regards,
> g_bor

* [bug#33214] Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)
       [not found]                                                   ` <CA+H0LRPnqd9AdH8C59ai74pm=1o9a92hFdJsuP-P-TasSof=SA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2018-11-02 13:31                                                     ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2018-11-02 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lakshmi Prasannakumar; +Cc: Gábor Boskovits, 33214

Hi Lakshmi,

On Fri, 2 Nov 2018 18:25:49 +0530
Lakshmi Prasannakumar <lakshmiprasannakumaran@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sure, I'll rebase it to the current master and try to bring in the
> change for commit message .
>
> Regards,

(For the reference, applied it on top of
7b63047c943a68717b1fc21dc078e44c2415e694 where it applies without trouble).

I have some more remarks:

* Could you please keep the bug-tracker on CC. In that way other people
can follow the discussions and it is saved for later reference. That is
especially useful if the patch gets forgotten and is only later being
picked up again (though I don't think that will be the case here):

33214@debbugs.gnu.org

* As Gabor already said, the period "." was missing. See other commit
messages to get used to the strict rules.

* License field should look like this:

  (license license:gpl2+)))

I.e. it is prefixed  by "license:". That is because in line 31 the
license module was imported with that prefix:

  #:use-module ((guix licenses) #:prefix license:)

Some package modules use this syntax to prevent namespace pollution,
others not.

* Did you execute `guix lint` before submitting the patch? I have
found some linter complaints:

/home/bjoern/guix/guix/gnu/packages/cran.scm:6652:0: r-weights@1.0: sentences in description should be followed by two spaces; possible infractions at 197, 389
/home/bjoern/guix/guix/gnu/packages/cran.scm:6652:0: r-weights@1.0: line 6671 is way too long (468 characters)

* The first one just means what it says. That is because the
descriptions use texinfo syntax and there are two spaces used.

* The second can be solved by breaking long lines of the description
before 80 characters. See how it was done in other packages above.

* Homepage:

gnu/packages/cran.scm:6652:0: r-weights@1.0: permanent redirect
from http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/weights
to   http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/weights/

So please add a trailing "/" to the URL.

Also could you use "https"? instead of just plain "http"? We use the
encrypted URL wherever it is available.

* I'm currently trying to build it but that looks like it takes more
time than usual because substitutes are missing. If anything goes
wrong, I will report back. Did you try to build the package?

Thank you,

Björn

* [bug#33214] Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)
@ 2018-11-02 14:23                                                       ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-11-02 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: Lakshmi Prasannakumar, 33214

Björn Höfling <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de> ezt írta (időpont:
2018. nov. 2., P, 14:31):

> Hi Lakshmi,
>
> On Fri, 2 Nov 2018 18:25:49 +0530
> Lakshmi Prasannakumar <lakshmiprasannakumaran@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Sure, I'll rebase it to the current master and try to bring in the
> > change for commit message .
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> (For the reference, applied it on top of
> 7b63047c943a68717b1fc21dc078e44c2415e694 where it applies without trouble).
>
> I have some more remarks:
>
> * Could you please keep the bug-tracker on CC. In that way other people
> can follow the discussions and it is saved for later reference. That is
> especially useful if the patch gets forgotten and is only later being
> picked up again (though I don't think that will be the case here):
>
> 33214@debbugs.gnu.org
>
> * As Gabor already said, the period "." was missing. See other commit
> messages to get used to the strict rules.
>
> * License field should look like this:
>
>   (license license:gpl2+)))
>
> I.e. it is prefixed  by "license:". That is because in line 31 the
> license module was imported with that prefix:
>
>   #:use-module ((guix licenses) #:prefix license:)
>
> Some package modules use this syntax to prevent namespace pollution,
> others not.
>
> * Did you execute `guix lint` before submitting the patch? I have
> found some linter complaints:
>
> /home/bjoern/guix/guix/gnu/packages/cran.scm:6652:0: r-weights@1.0: sentences in description should be followed by two spaces; possible infractions at 197, 389
> /home/bjoern/guix/guix/gnu/packages/cran.scm:6652:0: r-weights@1.0: line 6671 is way too long (468 characters)
>
> * The first one just means what it says. That is because the
> descriptions use texinfo syntax and there are two spaces used.
>
> * The second can be solved by breaking long lines of the description
> before 80 characters. See how it was done in other packages above.
>
> * Homepage:
>
> gnu/packages/cran.scm:6652:0: r-weights@1.0: permanent redirect
> from http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/weights
> to   http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/weights/
>
> So please add a trailing "/" to the URL.
>
> Also could you use "https"? instead of just plain "http"? We use the
> encrypted URL wherever it is available.

Thanks Björn. It seems that currently Lakshmi has no working
guix, because of problems related to missing substiutes.

@ 2018-11-02 16:29                                                         ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2018-11-02 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Lakshmi Prasannakumar, 33214

Hi Lakshmi,

On Fri, 2 Nov 2018 15:23:04 +0100
Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> wrote:

> Björn Höfling <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de> ezt írta (időpont:
> 2018. nov. 2., P, 14:31):

> Thanks Björn. It seems that currently Lakshmi has no working
> guix, because of problems related to missing substiutes.
>
> > * I'm currently trying to build it but that looks like it takes more
> > time than usual because substitutes are missing. If anything goes
> > wrong, I will report back. Did you try to build the package?

My build is finished now and it builds correctly.

Yes, due to currently missing substitutes it takes a lot of time. But
it should work also.

Björn

* [bug#33214] Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)
@ 2018-11-02 19:16                                                           ` Lakshmi Prasannakumar
From: Lakshmi Prasannakumar @ 2018-11-02 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: Gábor Boskovits, 33214