unofficial mirror of emacs-tangents@gnu.org
* Continuous scroll for pdf-tools
@ 2023-06-28 16:45 Rahguzar
From: Rahguzar @ 2023-06-28 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-tangents

Hi All,

Sometime ago, I came across Daniel Nicolai's image-roll package and his
companion fork of pdf-tools which together allow showing multiple
pages of the document together and thus scrolling through the whole
document continuously. I ran into some issues with the combination which
I tried to fix and the results are no close to satisfactory for me. More
details can be seen here,

https://github.com/dalanicolai/image-roll.el/issues/19#issue-1773304146

If you have wanted this functionality, please try the my fork of
image-roll which is hosted at,

https://github.com/aikrahguzar/image-roll.el

together with the continuous scroll branch of my pdf-tools fork

https://github.com/aikrahguzar/pdf-tools/tree/continuous-scroll

and report back your experience and even better fixes for any problems
you encountered.

P.S. I am not sure this is the right mailing list for this but I can't
think of a better one.

Thanks and big thanks to Daniel Nicolai for his package,
Rahguzar

* Re: Continuous scroll for pdf-tools
@ 2023-06-30 16:46 ` orzodk
From: orzodk @ 2023-06-30 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rahguzar; +Cc: emacs-tangents

Rahguzar <rahguzar@zohomail.eu> writes:

> If you have wanted this functionality, please try the my fork of
> image-roll which is hosted at,
>
> https://github.com/aikrahguzar/image-roll.el
>
> together with the continuous scroll branch of my pdf-tools fork
>
> https://github.com/aikrahguzar/pdf-tools/tree/continuous-scroll
>
> and report back your experience and even better fixes for any problems
> you encountered.

Thanks for this! One of my pet peeves with pdf-tools (+ org-noter) on a
smaller screen was accidentally scrolling just a bit too far and having
it replace the page. Your packages so far have solved this problem for
me.

I'll be using these packages from now on and I'll be sure to report back
if I run into any problems.

> P.S. I am not sure this is the right mailing list for this but I can't
> think of a better one.

I like it posted here. I may not have discovered this package otherwise.

* Re: Continuous scroll for pdf-tools
@ 2023-07-05  5:59 Peter Mao
From: Peter Mao @ 2023-07-05  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-tangents, orzodk, rahguzar; +Cc: Dmitry M

> Rahguzar <rahguzar@zohomail.eu> writes:
>
> > If you have wanted this functionality, please try the my fork of
> > image-roll which is hosted at,
> >
> > https://github.com/aikrahguzar/image-roll.el
> >
> > together with the continuous scroll branch of my pdf-tools fork
> >
> > https://github.com/aikrahguzar/pdf-tools/tree/continuous-scroll
> >
> > and report back your experience and even better fixes for any problems
> > you encountered.
>
> Thanks for this! One of my pet peeves with pdf-tools (+ org-noter) on a
> smaller screen was accidentally scrolling just a bit too far and having
> it replace the page. Your packages so far have solved this problem for
> me.
>
> I'll be using these packages from now on and I'll be sure to report back
> if I run into any problems.

Dmitry and I are maintainers of org-noter.  I haven't tried your code yet,
but I think the feature is important for pdf-tools and if it gets
integrated into pdf-tools, I'd like to ensure that org-noter works well
with it.

Rahguzar -- are you going to be making pull-requests to the upstream
repos?  I notice that you are a fork of a fork of the "official" pdf-tools
repo (vedang/pdf-tools), and your code has diverged significantly from
vedang/pdf-tools (96 ahead/44 behind).  Since vedang/pdf-tools is under
active maintainership, I think the best course of action is to make a PR
(or a series of PRs, as it looks like you've done a **lot** of work on this
feature).

Orzodk -- Please consider opening an issue at
https://github.com/org-noter/org-noter/issues to communicate/log what you
find with these packages.

Although this looks very interesting to me, I don't have the bandwidth to
dive into it.

Peter

* Re: Continuous scroll for pdf-tools
@ 2023-07-05 19:10 ` Rahguzar
From: Rahguzar @ 2023-07-05 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Mao; +Cc: emacs-tangents, orzodk, Dmitry M

Hi Peter,

Peter Mao <peter.mao@gmail.com> writes:

> Rahguzar -- are you going to be making pull-requests to the upstream
> repos? I notice that you are a fork of a fork of the "official"
> pdf-tools repo (vedang/pdf-tools), and your code has diverged
> significantly from vedang/pdf-tools (96 ahead/44 behind). Since
> vedang/pdf-tools is under active maintainership, I think the best
> course of action is to make a PR (or a series of PRs, as it looks like
> you've done a **lot** of work on this feature).

The reason that it is a fork of a fork is that once upon a time I
was using a feature from that fork which has a pull-request waiting to
be merged into vedang/pdf-tools. When I switched to Daniel Nicolai's
fork, I just rebased on top of that which looking back now is
unfortunate. You can probably tell I am not too familiar with git and
also not a software developer by trade. I have made changes to quite
a few places in the pdf-tools repo but what you see at first glance
vastly overstates them. By my estimation the changes for this feature
come to about 700 lines and probably a majority of them were by Daniel
Nicolai. In fact, although I fixed issues I had with pdf-tools when
using continuous scroll, I think I made more extensive changes to
image-roll than to pdf-tools.

For that reason I will like Daniel Nicolai to chime in about PR to
pdf-tools first and I opened an issue about changes to image-roll on his
repository. In any case the changes to pdf-tools are extensive but still
probably incomplete. Most likely there are features that break but I
haven't come across. As a result I think a pr to pdf-tools will take a
long time to review and merge. For a short term solution I think it
might be worthwhile to package the changes to pdf-tools as advices, this
will duplicate quite a lot of code but will allow people to test this
feature more easily with upstream pdf-tools. I don't have bandwidth to
take this on but if someone wants to try this, they are welcome.

@ 2023-07-12 13:58   ` Rahguzar
From: Rahguzar @ 2023-07-12 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rahguzar; +Cc: Peter Mao, emacs-tangents, orzodk, Dmitry M

An update: I created a new branch named `upstream-pdf-roll` which is based on
`vedang/pdf-tools` and made a draft pull request too,

https://github.com/vedang/pdf-tools/pull/224

So if you have been using this please try the `upstream-pdf-roll` branch and
report back if something got broken, although since I was able to cherry-pick
commits cleanly I feel it is unlikely (but I don't git so my feelings might
be very off the mark) and cursory usage by me suggests that everything is
fine.

Rahguzar

@ 2023-07-14  2:23     ` Peter Mao
From: Peter Mao @ 2023-07-14  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)