* Allowing symlinked dir-locals files?
@ 2021-08-16 18:01 Yuri D'Elia
From: Yuri D'Elia @ 2021-08-16 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi everyone,

I was trying to share some localized customization by symlinking a
.dir-locals.el file across directories, but it doesn't seem to work.

Looking at the current files.el:4330, we explicitly check if the file is
a regular file. And looking at the FIXME comment just above I concur
that checking just for file-directory-p should be sufficient for proper
behavior.

However I suspect that the rationale was to be proper as well as "safe",
as this could be used to make emacs read/interpret another file if the
symlink is under the control of a VCS or via a shared-filesystem.

I wonder if that's all we can really do?

I currently hardlinked the files and bypassed the problem. I can think a
couple of alternative solutions, however I have a series of projects
that share indentation/editor settings and I've found that using such
setup makes it more discoverable.

Thoughts?