* [DISCUSSION] "quick-help" popup for org-columns (column view)
@ 2024-02-08 19:55 Sławomir Grochowski
From: Sławomir Grochowski @ 2024-02-08 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, emacs-devel
  Cc: philipk, stefankangas, larsi, hmelman, eliz, info, Ihor Radchenko

Dear All,

Inspired by "Re: Adding a "quick-help" menu"
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-10/msg01138.html

I've created a "quick-help" for functionality in org-mode - column view
(https://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-column-view-tutorial.html)

This is a popup with keybindings available in the 'column view'.
In attachment: screenshot and animated gif to see this in motion.

Function 'help-quick' could be easily modified to take some parameters.
This would allow to create a "help-quick" popups for other packages.
I think it's pretty helpful in column view.

Please let me know what you think.

[-- Attachment #2: colview-quick-help.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 104768 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: 2024-02-08 16-37-17-colview-quick-help.gif --]
[-- Type: image/gif, Size: 266424 bytes --]

Sławomir Grochowski

* Re: [DISCUSSION] "quick-help" popup for org-columns (column view)
@ 2024-02-08 22:16 ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2024-02-08 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: slawomir.grochowski
  Cc: eliz, emacs-devel, emacs-orgmode, hmelman, info, larsi, philipk,
	stefankangas, yantar92

Since transient.el is part of Emacs now, these kinds of menus should
probably be implemented with it.

* Re: [DISCUSSION] "quick-help" popup for org-columns (column view)
@ 2024-02-08 23:01   ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2024-02-08 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Porter, slawomir.grochowski
  Cc: eliz, emacs-devel, emacs-orgmode, hmelman, info, larsi, philipk,
	yantar92

Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> writes:

> Since transient.el is part of Emacs now, these kinds of menus should
> probably be implemented with it.

IIUC, this is not a menu, but a reminder of key bindings that are usable
in that context.  Other keybindings here are self-inserting keys, which
are equally useful, and they wouldn't be available in a transient.

* Re: [DISCUSSION] "quick-help" popup for org-columns (column view)
@ 2024-02-09 23:02     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-02-09 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas
  Cc: Adam Porter, slawomir.grochowski, eliz, emacs-devel,
	emacs-orgmode, hmelman, info, larsi, philipk

> Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> writes:
>
>> Since transient.el is part of Emacs now, these kinds of menus should
>> probably be implemented with it.
>
> IIUC, this is not a menu, but a reminder of key bindings that are usable
> in that context.  Other keybindings here are self-inserting keys, which
> are equally useful, and they wouldn't be available in a transient.

I am wondering how quick-help, transient, and which-key (AFAIU, it is to
be included into the core soon-ish) play together.

transient provides a specific way to define the displayed layout, among
other things. At the same time, quick-help provides an alternative
(undocumented) way to define the layout. And which-key uses pre-defined
layout.

I am wondering if transient style to define how various options in the
menu/help buffer/which-key buffer can be unified.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [DISCUSSION] "quick-help" popup for org-columns (column view)
@ 2024-02-10 15:44       ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2024-02-10 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko
  Cc: Stefan Kangas, Adam Porter, slawomir.grochowski, eliz,
	emacs-devel, emacs-orgmode, hmelman, info, larsi

> Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> writes:
>>
>>> Since transient.el is part of Emacs now, these kinds of menus should
>>> probably be implemented with it.
>>
>> IIUC, this is not a menu, but a reminder of key bindings that are usable
>> in that context.  Other keybindings here are self-inserting keys, which
>> are equally useful, and they wouldn't be available in a transient.

The point of quick-help is to provide a persistent buffer with useful
bindings, comparable to what Nano does OOTB.

> I am wondering how quick-help, transient, and which-key (AFAIU, it is to
> be included into the core soon-ish) play together.
>
> transient provides a specific way to define the displayed layout, among
> other things. At the same time, quick-help provides an alternative
> (undocumented) way to define the layout. And which-key uses pre-defined
> layout.

One critical difference between which-key and transient compared to
quick-help, is that the latter has nothing to do with prefix maps, but
(by default) just presents global bindings, and is as such closer to a
curated version of `describe-bindings' (sort of like how `shortdocs' is
a curated version of `apropos-functions').

> I am wondering if transient style to define how various options in the
> menu/help buffer/which-key buffer can be unified.

--
Philip Kaludercic

* RE: [External] : Re: [DISCUSSION] "quick-help" popup for org-columns (column view)
@ 2024-02-10 18:04         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2024-02-10 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic, Ihor Radchenko
  Cc: Stefan Kangas, Adam Porter, slawomir.grochowski@gmail.com,
	eliz@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org,
	hmelman@gmail.com, info@protesilaos.com

> The point of quick-help is to provide a persistent buffer
> with useful bindings, comparable to what Nano does OOTB.

> One critical difference between which-key and transient
> compared to quick-help, is that the latter has nothing
> to do with prefix maps, but (by default) just presents
> global bindings, and is as such closer to a curated
> version of `describe-bindings' (sort of like how
> `shortdocs' is a curated version of `apropos-functions').

1. Doesn't which-key also provide the
possibility (e.g., on-demand instead of
by timer) to show all currently available
bindings at top level, i.e., not on a
prefix key)?  I thought it had added that
feature at some point.

If it doesn't, then that's another big
difference ("critical", you say) from
KeySee.
___

2. As for getting the completions in a
buffer that you can access "persistently"
(and, e.g., to search or edit):

There should be a separate, more general
feature for that: be able to "save" the
current contents of `*Completions* (or
another buffer displaying completions) to
another buffer, regardless of what that
completions buffer is showing.

IOW, this shouldn't be only about _key_
completions and descriptions as help.

Icicles provides such a feature (as does
Embark, IIUC).  Emacs should have it.  Hit
a key, enter a destination buffer name (or
just hit RET for a default name).
___

3. Icicles can also show you complete help
for key completions shown in *Completions*,
in *Help*.  And likewise for any other
kind of completions for which there's a
help description.

Showing help for completions is another