* new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-08-28 21:27 kawabata.taichi
From: kawabata.taichi @ 2009-08-28 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Dear sirs,

This is just a quick thought and proposal to replace Emacs etc/HELLO file.

As Emacs 23 fully supports UCS/Unicode now, etc/HELLO file may be
extended, so that it covers the languages and scripts that had not been
covered by the previous Emacs versions.

Also, HELLO file may contain symbols and rare or ancient scripts, so
that it contains at least one character from each UCS/Unicode blocks.
That would help Emacs users to quick-check which fonts their Emacsen are
missing.

I've collected the "Hello" entries from various on-line dictionaries
over the Internet (especially omniglot.com is useful).  Languages are
selected so that at most two or three languages are shown for each
script (except Latin script, which has several significant languages).
I gathered scripts that I could not find "Hello" entries to separate
entries, and classified them by writing directions.

The proposed etc/HELLO file attached below may contain some
inappropriateness or mistakes, which I appreciate if someone could point
out or fix.  Also, most of script samples merely line up the characters.
Refining them to meaningful text is also appreciated.

=====================

The quickest way to view all characters in this HELLO.txt file is to
install "Code2000" font, Mr. George Douros's Unicode Symbol font, "MPH
Damase 2D" font and Cyrillic font by BukyVede.  That would cover most of
Unicode 5.1 characters.  Beside them, specific Tibetan, Tagalog, Arabic
Supplement, Sinhalese and Sundanese font fill the gap.  Still, Font for
"New Tai Lue", "Balinease", "Lepcha" and few other script seems not
available freely for now.

[-- Attachment #2: HELLO.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 11422 bytes --]

This is a list of ways to say hello in various languages.
(For symbols and some scripts, only sample texts or characters are shown.)

Languages and scripts are classified by writing directions.

1. Scripts written from left to right.

LANGUAGE (NATIVE NAME)	HELLO
----------------------	-----
Ainu (アイヌ イタㇰ)	イランカラㇷ゚テ
Amharic (አማርኛ)	ሠላም
Armenian (Հայերէն)	բարև
Bengali (বাংলা)	নমস্কার
Braille	⠓⠑⠇⠇⠕
Burmese (မ္ရန္‌မာ)	မင္‍ဂလာပာ
C	printf ("Hello, world!\n");
Cantonese (粵語 / 廣東話)	早晨 / 你好 / 喂
Cherokee (ᏣᎳᎩ ᎧᏬᏂᎯᏍᏗ)	ᎣᏏᏲ
Chinese (中文 / 普通话 / 汉语 / 漢語)	你好, 您好
Comanche (Nu̶mu̶ tekwapu̶̲)	Marú̶awe!
Cree (ᓀᐦᐃᔭᐍᐏᐣ / ᓀᐦᐃᔭᐤ)	ᐊᑕᒥᐢᑳᑐᐃᐧᐣ
Czech (čeština)	Dobrý den
Danish (dansk)	Hej / Goddag / Halløj
Deseret (𐐼𐐯𐑅𐐨𐑉𐐯𐐻 𐐰𐑊𐑁𐐩𐐺𐐯𐐻)	𐐸𐑩𐑊𐐬
Dutch (Nederlands)	Hallo / Dag
Dzongkha (རྫོང་ཁ)	སྐུ་གཟུགས་བཟང་པོ
Emacs	emacs --no-splash -f view-hello-file
English /ˈɪŋɡlɪʃ/	Hello
French (français)	Bonjour / Salut
Georgian (ქართველი)	გამარჯობა
German (Deutsch)	Guten Tag / Grüß Gott
Greek (ελληνικά)	Γειά σας
Greek, Polytonic	Ἐμπρός! (on phone)
Gujarati (ગુજરાતી)	નમસ્તે
Hindi (हिंदी)	नमस्ते ।
Inuktitut (ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ)	ᐊᐃ / ᐊᐃᓐᖓᐃ
Italian (italiano)	Ciao / Buon giorno
Japanese (日本語)	今日は。 / コンニチハ
Javanese (Jawa)	System.out.println("Sugeng siang!");
Kannada (ಕನ್ನಡ)	ನಮಸ್ಕಾರ
Kanza (Kaáⁿze)	ho / hawé
Khmer (ភាសាខ្មែរ)	ជំរាបសួរ / សួស្ដី
Koasati (Kowassá:tit)	Cikáʔnó!
Korean (한글 / 韓國語)	안녕하세요 / 안녕하십니까 / 안녕
Lao (ພາສາລາວ)	ສະບາຍດີ / ຂໍໃຫ້ໂຊກດີ
Malayalam (മലയാളം)	നമസ്കാരം
Marathi (मराठी)	नमस्कार ।
Mathematics	∀ p ∈ world • hello p  □
Oriya (ଓଡ଼ିଆ)	ଶୁଣିବେ
Punjabi (ਪੰਜਾਬੀ)	ਸਤ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਅਕਾਲ.
Russian (русский)	Здра́вствуйте!
Shavian (𐑖𐑭𐑝𐑾𐑯)	𐑣𐑩𐑤𐑴
Sinhala (සිංහල)	ආයුබෝවන්
Spanish (español)	¡Hola!
Swedish (på svenska)	Hej / Goddag / Hallå
Tagalog (ᜊᜌ᜔ᜊᜌᜒᜈ᜔)	ᜋᜊᜓᜑᜌ᜔
Tamil (தமிழ்)	வணக்கம்
Telugu (తెలుగు)	నమస్కారం
Thai (ภาษาไทย)	สวัสดีครับ / สวัสดีค่ะ
Tibetan (བོད་སྐད་)	བཀྲ་ཤིས་བདེ་ལེགས༎
Tigrigna (ትግርኛ)	ሰላማት
Vietnamese (tiếng Việt)	Chào bạn
Yoruba (Yorùbá)	Ẹ n lẹ

SCRIPT NAME	SAMPLES
----------------------	-----
Balinese (ᬩᬲ ᬩᬮᬶ)	ᬓᬔᬕᬖᬗᬘᬙᬚᬛᬜᬝᬞᬟ
Buginese (ᨅᨔ ᨕᨘᨁᨗ)	ᨕᨗᨕᨊᨕᨙ ᨔᨛᨄᨒᨚ
Buhid (ᝊᝓᝑᝒᝇ)	ᝀᝁᝂᝃᝄᝅ
Carian	𐊠𐊥𐊣𐊹𐊮𐊸 𐊲𐊥𐊰𐊴𐊣𐊺𐊸 𐊽𐊹𐊾𐊩𐊰𐊹𐊸
Carrier (ᑐᑊᘁᗕᑋᗸ)	ᗺᗹᗵᗷᗶ
Cham	ꨁꨗꨩꨈꨮ
CJK Radicals	⼀⼁⼂⼃⼄⼅⼆⼇⼈⼉ / ⺀⺁⺂⺃⺄⺅⺆⺇⺈⺉
CJK Unified Ideograph Extension-A	㐀㐁㐂㐃㐄㐅㐆㐇㐈㐉㐊㐋㐌㐍㐎㐏
CJK Unified Ideograph Extension-B	𠀀𠀁𠀂𠀃𠀄𠀅𠀆𠀇𠀈𠀉𠀊𠀋𠀌𠀍𠀎𠀏
CJK Unified Ideograph Extension-C	𪜀𪜁𪜂𪜃𪜄𪜅𪜆𪜇𪜈𪜉𪜊𪜋𪜌𪜍𪜎𪜏
Coptic	ⲘⲒⲞ.Ⲕ
Cuneiform	𒀀𒀁𒀂𒀃𒀄𒀅𒀆𒀇𒀈𒀉𒀊𒀋𒀌𒀍𒀎𒀏
Cyrillic Supplement	ԀԁԂԃԄԅԆԇԈԉԊԋԌԍԎԏ
Cyrillic Extended-A	ⷠⷡⷢⷣⷤⷥⷦⷧⷨⷩⷪⷫⷬⷭⷮⷯ
Cyrillic Extended-B	ꙀꙁꙂꙃꙄꙅꙆꙇꙈꙉꙊꙋꙌꙍꙎꙏ
Ethiopic Extended	ⶀⶁⶂⶃⶄⶅⶆⶇⶈⶉⶊⶋⶌⶍⶎⶏ
Ethiopic Supplement	ᎀᎁᎂᎃᎄᎅᎆᎇᎈᎉᎊᎋᎌᎍᎎᎏ
Georgian Supplement	ⴀⴁⴂⴃⴄⴅⴆⴇⴈⴉⴊⴋⴌⴍⴎⴏ
Glagolitic	ⰙⰂⰍⰌⰇⰟⰘ
Gothic	𐌰𐍄𐍄𐌰 𐌿𐌽𐍃𐌰𐍂 𐌸𐌿 𐌹𐌽
Hanunoo (ᜱᜨᜳᜨᜳᜢ)	ᜣᜫᜨᜳᜰᜲ
Kayah Li	꤁꤂꤃꤄꤅
Latin Extended-C	ⱠⱡⱢⱣⱤⱥⱦⱧⱨⱩⱪⱫⱬⱭⱮⱯ
Latin Extended-D	꜠꜡ꜢꜣꜤꜥꜦꜧꜨꜩꜪꜫꜬꜭꜮꜯ
Lepcha	ᰣᰕᰧᰅ
Limbu	ᤀᤁᤂᤃᤄᤅᤆᤇᤈ
Lycian	𐊀𐊁𐊂𐊃𐊄𐊅𐊆𐊇
Lydian	𐤠𐤡𐤢𐤣𐤤
New Tai Lue	ᦀᦁᦂᦃᦄᦅᦆᦇ
Ogham	᚛ᚁᚂᚃᚄᚅᚆᚇᚈᚉᚊᚋᚌᚍᚎᚏᚐᚑᚒᚒᚔ᚜
Old Persian	𐎠𐎡𐎢𐎣𐎤𐎥𐎦𐎧𐎨𐎩𐎪𐎫𐎬𐎭𐎮𐎯
Osmanya	𐒀𐒁𐒂𐒃𐒄𐒅𐒆𐒇𐒈𐒉𐒊𐒋𐒌𐒍𐒎𐒏
Phaistos Disc	𐇑𐇛𐇜𐇐𐇡
Phonetic Extensions	ᴀᴁᴂᴃᴄᴅᴆᴇᴈᴉᴊᴋᴌᴍᴎᴏ
Phonetic Extension Supplement	ᶀᶁᶂᶃᶄᶅᶆᶇᶈᶉᶊᶋᶌᶍᶎᶏ
Rejang	ꤰꤱꤲꤴꤵ
Runic	ᛒᛁᛏᚱᛅᛁᛋ᛬ᛚᛅᛁᚠᛅ᛬ᚠᚢᛋᛏᚱᛅ᛬ᚴᚢᚦᛅᚾ᛬ᚦᛅᚾ᛬ᛋᚭᚾ᛬ᛁᛚᛅᚾ᛭
Santali (Ol Chiki)	ᱟᱲ.ᱟ.
Saurashtra	ꢂꢒꢂꢬꢣꢶ
Sundanese	ᮀᮁᮂᮃᮄᮅᮆᮇᮈᮉᮊᮋᮌᮍᮎᮏ
Syloti Nagri	ꠀꠇꠣꠌꠤꠐꠥꠔꠦ
Tagbanwa (ᝤᝪᝨᝯ)	ᝠᝡᝢᝣᝤᝥᝦᝧᝨᝩᝪᝫᝬ
Tifinagh (ⵜⵉⴼⵉⵏⴰⵖ)	ⴰⴱⴲⴳⴴⴵⴶⴷⴸⴹⴺⴻⴼⴽⴾⴿ
Tai Le (ᥖᥭᥰᥖᥬᥳᥑᥨᥒᥰ)	ᥐᥑᥒᥓᥔᥕᥖᥗᥘᥙᥚᥛᥜᥝᥞᥟ
Ugaritic	𐎀𐎁𐎂𐎃𐎄𐎅𐎆𐎇𐎈𐎉𐎊𐎋𐎌𐎍𐎎𐎏
Vai	ꔀꔁꔂꔃꔄꔅꔆꔇꔈꔉꔊꔋꔌꔍꔎꔏ
Yi (ꆇꉙ)	ꉷꆀꅇꌫꏦ

\f

2. Scripts written from Right to Left.

LANGUAGE (NATIVE NAME)	HELLO
----------------------	-----
Arabic (ةّيبرعلا)	مكيلع مالّسلا
Aramaic, Syriac (ܠܫܢܐ ܤܘܪܝܝܐ)	ܐܵܝ! / ܐܳܝ!
Dhivehi (ހިވެދި)	ކިހިނެތް؟ / ހާލު ކިހިނެތް؟
Hebrew (תירבע)	שלום
Persian (فارسى)	سلام / درود
Yiddish (ײִדיש / מאַמע לשון)	אַ גוטן טאָג

SCRIPT NAME	SAMPLES
----------------------	-----
Arabic Supplement	ݐݑݒݓݔݕݖݗݘݙݚݛݜݝݞݟ
Cypriot Syllabary	𐠀𐠁𐠂𐠃𐠄𐠅𐠈𐠊𐠋𐠌𐠍𐠎𐠏
Kharoshthi	𐨠𐨡𐨢𐨣𐨤𐨥𐨦𐨧𐨨𐨩𐨪𐨫𐨬𐨭𐨮𐨯
Linear B	𐀀𐀁𐀂𐀃𐀄𐀅𐀆𐀇 / 𐂀𐂁𐂂𐂃𐂄𐂅𐂆𐂇
N'Ko (ߒߞߏ)	߀߁߂߃߄߅߆߇߈߉ߊߋߌߍߎߏ
Old Italic	𐌀𐌁𐌂𐌃𐌄𐌅𐌆𐌇𐌈𐌉𐌊𐌋𐌌𐌍𐌎𐌏
Phoenician	𐤀𐤁𐤂𐤃𐤄𐤅𐤆𐤇𐤈𐤉𐤊𐤋𐤌𐤍𐤎𐤏

\f

3. Scripts written from Top to Bottom

LANGUAGE (NATIVE NAME)	HELLO
----------------------	-----
Japanese (日本語)	もし〳〵 (Vertical Repeat Mark)
Mongolian (ᠮᠣᠨᠭᠣᠯ ᠪᠢᠴᠢᠭ)	ᠰᠠᠢ᠋ᠨ ᠪᠠᠢ᠋ᠨ ᠤᠦ

SCRIPT NAME	SAMPLES
----------------------	-----
Kanbun (漢文)	使㆟籍誠不㆚以㆘蓄㆓妻子㆒憂㆗飢寒㆖乱㆙㆑心、
	有㆑銭以済㆞医薬㆝。
Manchurian (ᠮᠠᠨᠵᡠ)	ᡶᡠᡯᡳ ᡥᡝᠨᡩᡠᠮᡝ᠈ ᡨᠠᠴᡳᠮᠪᡳᠮᡝ ᡝᡵᡳᠨᡩᡝᡵᡳ
	ᡠᡵᡳᠪᡠᠴᡳ᠈ ᡳᠨᡠ ᡠᡵᡤᡠᠨ ᠸᠠᡴᠠ᠉
Phags-pa	ꡏꡟ ꡋꡞ ꡏꡟ ꡋꡞ ᠂ ꡏ ꡜꡖ ꡏꡟ ꡋꡞ ᠂ ꡓꡞ ꡏꡟ ᠁

\f

4. Numbers and Symbols

SYMBOL NAMES	EXAMPLES
----------------------	-----
Aegean Numbers	𐄀𐄁𐄂𐄇 𐄈𐄉𐄊𐄋𐄌𐄍𐄎𐄏
Ancient Greek Musical Notation	𝈀𝈁𝈂𝈃𝈄𝈅𝈆𝈈𝈉𝈊𝈋𝈌𝈍𝈎𝈏
Ancient Greek Numbers	𐅀𐅁𐅂𐅃𐅄𐅅𐅆𐅇𐅈𐅉𐅊𐅋𐅌𐅍𐅎𐅏
Ancient Symbols	𐆐𐆑𐆒𐆓𐆔𐆕𐆖𐆗𐆘𐆙𐆚𐆛
Arrows	←↑↠↡↰↱⇀⇁⟰⟱⟲⟳⤀⤁⤐⤑⤠⤡⤰⤱⥀⥁
Block Elements	▀▁▂▃▄▅▆▇▐░▒▓▔▕▖▗
Box Drawing	┌┐└┘├┤┬┴
Byzantine Musical Symbols	𝀰𝀱𝀲𝀳𝀴𝀵𝀶𝀷
Combining Diacritical Marks	à á â ã ā a̅ ă ȧ ä ả å a̋ ǎ a̍ a̎ ȁ
    (For Symbols)	a⃐ a⃑ a⃒ a⃓ a⃔ a⃕ a⃖ a⃗
    (Marks Supplement)	a᷀ a᷁ a᷂ a᷃ a᷄ a᷅ a᷆ a᷇ a᷈ a᷉ a᷊ a᷋ a᷌ a᷍ a᷎ a᷏
Control Pictures	␁␂␃␄␅␆␇␈␉␊␋␌␍␎␏
Counting Rod Numerals	𝍠𝍡𝍢𝍣𝍤𝍥𝍦𝍧𝍨𝍩𝍪𝍫𝍬𝍭𝍮𝍯
Currency Symbols	$¢£¤¥₠₡₢₣₤₥₦₧₨₩₪₫₭₮₯
Dingbats	✁✆✇✈✉✌✍✐✒✓✟✠
Domino Tiles	🀰🀲🁂🁒🁛🁢🁤🁴🂄🂍
Enclosed Alphanumerics	①②③④⑴⑵⑶⑷⒈⒉⒊⒋⒜⒝⒞⒟ⒶⒷⒸⒹⓐⓑⓒⓓ⓵⓶⓷⓸
Geometric Shapes	■□▢▣▤▥▦▧▰▱▲△▴▵▶▷◀◁◂◃◄◅◆◇◐◑◒◓◔◕◖◗
Ideographic Description Characters	字=⿱宀子
Khmer Symbols	᧠᧡᧢᧣᧤᧥᧦᧧᧨᧩᧪᧫᧬᧭᧮᧯
Letterlike Symbols	℀℁ℂ℃℄℅℆ℇ℈℉ℊℋℌℍℎℏ
Mahjong Tiles	🀀🀁🀂🀃🀆🀅🀄🀇🀏🀐🀘🀙🀡🀢🀦🀪🀫
Mathematical Alphanumeric Symbols	𝐀𝐁𝐂𝐃𝐄𝐅𝐆𝐇𝐈𝐉𝐊𝐋𝐌𝐍𝐎𝐏
Mathematical Operators	∀∂∃∄∈∊∌∑∓√⨀⨁⨂⨃⨐⨠⨡⨢⨰⨱⨲⩀⩁⩂
Mathematical Symbols	⟀⟁⟂⟃⟐⟑⟒⟓⟠⟡⟢⟣⦀⦁⦂⦃⦄
Misellaneous Symbols	☀☁☂☃☄★☆☐☑☒☓☔♀♁♂♃♠♡♢♣♨♰♲♳♴⚀⚁⚐⚒⚓⚠⚡⚢
Modifier Tone Letters	꜀꜁꜂꜃꜄꜅꜆꜇꜈꜉꜊꜋꜌꜍꜎꜏
Musical Symbols	𝆰𝆱𝆲𝆳𝆴𝆵𝆶𝆷𝆸𝆹𝆺𝆹𝅥𝆺𝅥𝆹𝅥𝅮𝆺𝅥𝅮𝆹𝅥𝅯
Number Forms	⅓⅔⅕⅖ⅠⅡⅢⅣⅰⅱⅲⅳↀↁↂↃↄ
Optical Character Recognition	⑀⑁⑂⑃⑄⑅⑆⑇⑈⑉⑊
Superscripts and Subscripts	⁰¹²³²⁴⁵⁶⁷⁸⁹ ₀₁₂₃₄₅₆₇₈₉
Supplemental Punctuation	⸀⸁⸂⸃⸄⸅⸆⸇⸈⸉⸊⸋⸌⸍⸎
Tai Xuan Jing Symbols	𝌰𝌱𝌲𝌳𝌴𝌵𝌶𝌷𝌸𝌹𝌺𝌻𝌼𝌽𝌾𝌿
Technical Symbols	⌀⌁⌂⌃⌐⌑⌒⌠⌡⌰⌱⌲⌳⍀⍁⍂⍐⍑⍒
Yijing Hexagram Symbols	☰☱☲☳☴☵☶☷

\f

5. Special Characters

NAME	SAMPLES
----------------------	-----
LANGUAGE TAGS	󠁈󠁅󠁌󠁌󠁏
VARIATION SELECTORS	邊 vs. 邊󠄀, 邊󠄁, 邊󠄂, 邊󠄃, 邊󠄄, 邊󠄅, 邊󠄆, 邊󠄇

\f

Copyright (C) 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
  Free Software Foundation, Inc.

This file is part of GNU Emacs.

GNU Emacs is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.

GNU Emacs is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,

along with GNU Emacs.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

;;; Local Variables:
;;; tab-width: 38
;;; End:

  (kawabata.taichi@gmail.com)       KAWABATA, Taichi

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-08-28 22:19 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2009-08-28 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kawabata.taichi; +Cc: emacs-devel

> This is just a quick thought and proposal to replace Emacs etc/HELLO file.

Very nice!  And the last part even can be used as a Unicode character palette.

However, you removed Esperanto, Estonian, Finnish, Hungarian, Maltese,
Nederlands, Norwegian, Polish, Slovak, Slovenian, Turkish, Ukrainian.
This is too bad.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-08-29  2:16   ` 川幡 太一
From: 川幡 太一 @ 2009-08-29  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: emacs-devel

川幡です。

>> In <87hbvrk2df.fsf@mail.jurta.org>,
>> Mr. Linkov wrote:

> Very nice!  And the last part even can be used as a Unicode character palette.

> However, you removed Esperanto, Estonian, Finnish, Hungarian, Maltese,
> Nederlands, Norwegian, Polish, Slovak, Slovenian, Turkish, Ukrainian.
> This is too bad.

Whoops.  Sorry, they are as follows.

Esperanto	Saluton (Eĥoŝanĝo ĉiuĵaŭde)
Estonian (eesti keel)	Tere päevast / Tere õhtust
Finnish (suomi)	Hei / Hyvää päivää
Maltese (il-Malti)	Bonġu / Saħħa / merħba
Nederlands, Vlaams	Hallo / Dag
Norwegian (norsk)	Hei / God dag
Polish  (język polski)	Dzień dobry! / Cześć!
Slovak (slovenčina)	Ahoj / Ahojte / Nazdar / Servus
Slovenian (slovenščina)	Pozdravljeni!
Turkish (Türkçe)	Merhaba
Ukrainian (українська)	Вітаю

FYI: I've also collected the followings, but I thought putting all of
them would make the file too much Latin-script centric, too much
difficult for verification.

Abenaki (Alnôba)	Kwai Kwai!
Abkhaz (аҧсуа бызшәа)	мыш бзи!
Afar (`Afa'r af)	Mahisse
Afrikaans	Hallo, Goeie dag
Alabama (Albaamo innaaɬiilka)	Chíkmàa
Albanian (shqip / gjuha shqipe)	C'kemi, Tungjatjeta
Alsatian	Hallo, Güete Tag
Aragonese	Ola
Arapaho (Hinonoéitiit)	Héébee, Tous
Aromanian / Vlach (Armãneashti)	bunã dzua
Arrernte	Werte
Assamese (অসমীয়া)	নমস্কার
Asturian	Hola, Bonos díes
Avar (магIарул мацI)	ВорчIами! / ЙорчIами!
Balkar (малкъар/балкъар)	Кюнюгюз ашхы болсун!
Basque (euskara)	Kaixo
Belarusian (Беларуская мова)	Вітаю, Дзень добры
Bhojpuri (भोजपुरी)	प्रणाम / परणाम
Bosnian (Bosanski)	Dobar dan Zdravo / Merhaba
Bulgarian (български)	Здравейте
Caddo (Hasí:nay)	Káhaʔahat!
Catalan (català)	Salud, Mat an traoù ganeoc'h?
Catawba	tɑnakɛ!
Chamorro	Håfa ådai / Buenas
Chechen (Нохчийн мотт)	Салам
Cheyenne (Etsėhesenestse)	Haáhe!
Chichewa (Chicheŵa)	Moni bambo!
Chickasaw (Chikasha)	Chokma!
Chinese, Hakka (客话 / 𠊎话)	爾好
Chiricahua	Hadínyaa?
Choctaw (Chahta Anumpa)	Halito
Cimbrian	Guuten takh
Congo	mambo
Cornish (Kernewek / Kernowek)	Dydh da, Hou, You, Ha, Hou sos
Corsican (corsu)	Bonghjornu
Croatian (Hrvatski)	Bok / Čao / Dobar Dan
Dalecarian	Hej / Høj / Góðdag
Dinka (Thuɔŋjäŋ)	Ci yi bak
Faroese (Føroyska)	Hallo / Hey
Fijian (Vakaviti)	Bula / Drau bula / Dou bula / Nibula
Frisian, North (Noordfreesk)	Moin / Guundach
Frisian, West (Frysk)	A goeie/ Hoi / Goeie / Goedei
Friulan (furlan / marilenghe)	Bundì / Mandi
Gaelic, Scottish (Gàidhlig)	Halò, Ciamar a tha thu / sibh?
Galician (Galego)	Ola
German, Low (Plattdüütsch)	Moin / Goden Dag
German, Swiss (Schwyzerdütsch)	hallo
Greenlandic (kalaallisut)	Inuugujoq, kutaa / Haluu
Haitian Creole (Kreyòl ayisyen)	Bonjou
Hawaiian (ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi)	Aloha
Herero (Otjiherero)	Tjike
Himba	Mono
Hungarian (magyar)	Szia! / Szép jó napot!
Icelandic (Íslenska)	Halló / Góðan dag
Ido	Saluto
Igbo	nde-ewo
Indonesian (Bahasa Indonesia)	Selamat siang
Interlingua	Salute
Irish (Gaeilge)	Dia duit
Iñupiaq (Inupiatun)	Halauġikpiñ
Jersey Norman (Jèrriais)	Salut / Bouônjour
Jutish	Godaw
Karelian	Terveh!
Kashubian (kaszëbsczi jãzëk)	Witôjze
Kazakh (Қазақ тілі)	Сәлем! / Сәлеметсіз бе?
Khanty	Вўҫя вуӆа!
Kickapoo	Aho
Kiowa	Hā́chò
Klingon	nuqneH?
Komi (коми кыв)	чолöм / Видза олан!
Kurdish (к’öрди)	Sillaw / Ew kata bash / Em kata bash
Kwanyama (kuanyama)	wa uhala po / meme
Latin (Lingua Latina)	Heus / Ave / Salve / Salvete
Latvian (latviešu valoda)	Sveiki
Lenape (Lënapei)	Hè
Limburgish (Lèmburgs)	Hallo
Lingala (lingála)	mbote
Lithuanian (lietuvių kalba)	Labas / Sveikas / Sveiki
Livonian (Līvõ kēļ)	Tēriņtš!
Lojban	coi
Luxembourgish (Lëtzebuergesch)	Moïen / Salut
Macedonian (македонски)	Здраво
Malay (Bahasa melayu)	Selamat pagi / Selamat petang
Mansi (Маньси)	Пася о̄лэн!
Manx (Gaelg / Gailck)	Dy bannee diu, Ta shiu/oo cheet!
Maori (te Reo Māori)	Kia ora / Kia ora rā kōrua
Mari, Hill	Шӓлӓ!
Mari, Meadow (марий йылме)	Салам!
Mohawk (Kanien'kéha)	kwe kwe
Moksha (мокшень кяль)	Шумбра́т! / Шумбра́тада!
Mongolian (монгол)	Сайн уу?
Nahuatl (nāhuatl)	niltze, hao
Nama (Namagowab)	!gai / oas
Navajo (Diné Bizaad)	Y´'át'ééh
Neapolitan	cia, cha
Nenets, Tundra	Торова!
Nepal Bhasa (नेपाल भाषा)	ज्वजलपा
Nepali (नेपाली)	नमस्ते
Niuean (ko e vagahau Niuē)	faka lofa lahi atu
Occitan	Bonjorn!
Old English	Wes hāl / Wesaþ hāl
Pig Latin	eyhay
Pitjantjatjara	Wai, Wai palya
Plautdietsch	Goondach
Portuguese (português)	Oi! E aí? Tudo bem? Tudo certo? Opa!
Rajasthani (राजस्थानी)	राम् राम्.
Romanian (limba română)	Salut
Sami, Inari (säämegiella)	Tiervâ!
Sami, Northern (sámi / sámegiella)	Bures!
Sami, Southern (saemien giele)	Tiõrv!
Samoan (Gagana Samoa)	Talofa
Sardinian (Limba Sarda)	Bona die
Senegal	salamaleikum
Serbian (српски)	Здраво
Shona (chiShona)	Mhoro / Mhoroi
Sicilian (sicilianu)	Ciau
Sotho, Southern (seSotho)	Lumela / Dumela / Dumelang
Stellingwarfs	Hoj
Sulka	marot
Swahili (Kiswahili)	Habari / Hujambo
Tetum (tetun)	bondia (morning), botarde (evening)
Tok Pisin (Tok Pisin)	Gude
Tongan (Faka-Tonga)	Malo e lelei / Malo e tau lava
Tsez (цез мец)	АсаламугIалейкум!
Tshiluba	moyo
Tsonga (xiTsonga)	minjhani
Udmurt (удмурт кыл)	Умой!
Uzbek (o'zbek tili)	Assalomu Alaykum!
Venda (tshiVenḓa)	I nhlikanhi
Veps	Tervhen!
Volapük	Glidis
Walloon (walon)	Bondjoû
Warlpiri	Ngurrju mayinpa
Welsh (Cymraeg / Y Gymraeg)	Helô / Hylô / Shwmae
Xhosa (isiXhosa)	Molo / Molweni
Yappese	Mogethin
Zulu (isiZulu)	Sawubona / Sanibonani
Urdu (اردو)	السلام علیکم

  川幡 太一  (kawabata.taichi@gmail.com)       KAWABATA, Taichi

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-08-29  3:31     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-08-29  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 川幡 太一; +Cc: Juri Linkov, emacs-devel

>> Very nice!  And the last part even can be used as a Unicode
>> character palette.

>> However, you removed Esperanto, Estonian, Finnish, Hungarian, Maltese,
>> Nederlands, Norwegian, Polish, Slovak, Slovenian, Turkish, Ukrainian.
>> This is too bad.

> Whoops.  Sorry, they are as follows.

> Esperanto	Saluton (Eĥoŝanĝo ĉiuĵaŭde)
> Estonian (eesti keel)	Tere päevast / Tere õhtust
> Finnish (suomi)	Hei / Hyvää päivää
> Maltese (il-Malti)	Bonġu / Saħħa / merħba
> Nederlands, Vlaams	Hallo / Dag
> Norwegian (norsk)	Hei / God dag
> Polish  (język polski)	Dzień dobry! / Cześć!
> Slovak (slovenčina)	Ahoj / Ahojte / Nazdar / Servus
> Slovenian (slovenščina)	Pozdravljeni!
> Turkish (Türkçe)	Merhaba
> Ukrainian (українська)	Вітаю

This looks like a good improvement.  Can someone install it, please?

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-08-29  5:46     ` Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2009-08-29  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

El sáb, ago 29 2009 a les 04:16, 川幡 太一 va escriure:

> FYI: I've also collected the followings, but I thought putting all of
> them would make the file too much Latin-script centric, too much
> difficult for verification.

  Not every language you listed uses Latin script. Urdu, for instance, could be interesting to include.

  In addition there are some errors in your listing. For instance what you listed as Catalan is Breton. In Catalan it would be „Hola, Bon dia“ (Hi, good day“).

Bon dia

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-08-29 22:43     ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2009-08-29 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 川幡 太一; +Cc: emacs-devel

> FYI: I've also collected the followings, but I thought putting all of
> them would make the file too much Latin-script centric, too much
> difficult for verification.

Omitting part of languages might cause some Emacs users to think that
we consider their languages insignificant.  OTOH, adding more languages =
more loyal Emacs users.  I mean the following reasoning of a novice
looking at the HELLO file: "Emacs supports my language - good! I'll use it."

If it is difficult to verify a group of scripts, we could group
languages by Unicode script names ordered by Unicode ranges like in
http://www.unicode.org/charts/  You can use language-script mapping in
http://www.unicode.org/cldr/data/charts/supplemental/languages_and_scripts.html

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-08-30  1:16       ` kawabata.taichi
From: kawabata.taichi @ 2009-08-30  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> In <87fxba1e92.fsf@mail.jurta.org>, Mr. Linkov wrote:

> Omitting part of languages might cause some Emacs users to think that
> we consider their languages insignificant.  OTOH, adding more languages =
> more loyal Emacs users.  I mean the following reasoning of a novice
> looking at the HELLO file: "Emacs supports my language - good! I'll
> use it."

How about adding new language per request basis??  If I do not
misunderstand, main purposes of `HELLO' is to show and check
multilingual (multi-script) capability of Emacs and font availability in
user's installation.

`Removing' existing languages in HELLO file may not certainly be
appropriate.  As there are thousands of languages in the world,
attempting to add every languae unconditionaly may shadow the purpose of
HELLO file.

> If it is difficult to verify a group of scripts, we could group
> languages by Unicode script names ordered by Unicode ranges like in
> http://www.unicode.org/charts/

Difficulty comes from verifying if languages collected from the Internet
is really correct, or did I properly copy them to the text file.  Thanks
for pointing me of an error on Breton and Catalan...  That's my own
mistake.

@ 2009-08-30  3:12         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-08-30  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kawabata.taichi; +Cc: juri, emacs-devel

> From: kawabata.taichi@gmail.com
> Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 10:16:40 +0900
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> As there are thousands of languages in the world, attempting to add
> every languae unconditionaly may shadow the purpose of HELLO file.

How can extra languages in HELLO shadow its purpose?  I don't think we
should care about the size of HELLO too much, certainly not as a
reason for excluding some languages.  People are justifiably proud of
their languages, and we don't want to offend anyone, I think.

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-08-30 20:48         ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2009-08-30 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kawabata.taichi; +Cc: emacs-devel

> How about adding new language per request basis??  If I do not
> misunderstand, main purposes of `HELLO' is to show and check
> multilingual (multi-script) capability of Emacs and font availability
> in user's installation.

Yes, the main purpose of HELLO is to check multi-script capability,
and it would be simpler if HELLO displayed just a few symbols
from every script.  But since HELLO contains greetings in various
languages now, we risk offending some users by not including their
languages in this list.

> Difficulty comes from verifying if languages collected from the Internet
> is really correct, or did I properly copy them to the text file.

This is not a problem since we can easily fix errors when users notice
and report them.

BTW, I think we should convert HELLO to UTF-8.  Do you see any symbol
in HELLO not supported by UTF-8?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-08-31  3:33           ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2009-08-31  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: juri, kawabata.taichi, emacs-devel

    > As there are thousands of languages in the world, attempting to add
    > every languae unconditionaly may shadow the purpose of HELLO file.

    How can extra languages in HELLO shadow its purpose?

If we put the most important things at the top, there is no harm
having lots of languages after that.  I think there are some 3,000
living languages.  If each one takes 10 bytes, that's 30,000 bytes,
which is no big deal.

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-08-31 15:12           ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-08-31 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: kawabata.taichi, emacs-devel

Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> writes:

> BTW, I think we should convert HELLO to UTF-8.  Do you see any symbol
> in HELLO not supported by UTF-8?

Isn't it currently UTF-8?

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-08-31 16:10             ` kawabata.taichi
From: kawabata.taichi @ 2009-08-31 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: juri, Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

> If we put the most important things at the top, there is no harm
> having lots of languages after that.  I think there are some 3,000
> living languages.  If each one takes 10 bytes, that's 30,000 bytes,
> which is no big deal.

Anther thing I'm worring is a quality.  There may be mistakes during the
compilation process of HELLO file.  (I tried to do double-check by
putting all the phrases into the search engine and see if they hit to
multiple sources, but not all of languages such attempts are
successful.)  There may also be informal greetings that some people may
feel uncomforatble, but I couldn't know if such thing really occured.

If we could hope that people who found inappropriate entry in HELLO.txt
would kindly point it out rather than just merely get angered, and if we
are not asking an absolute quality on correctness of HELLO file, perhaps
we could put all the `Hello' phrases found the Internet.  There might be
other options, such as to put some statements in top of HELLO file
asking people to polish the quality and extend the coverage of languages...

@ 2009-08-31 16:14             ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2009-08-31 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: kawabata.taichi, emacs-devel

>> BTW, I think we should convert HELLO to UTF-8.  Do you see any symbol
>> in HELLO not supported by UTF-8?
>
> Isn't it currently UTF-8?

I see it's currently iso-2022-7bit-unix.  And `view-hello-file'
sets its coding system to iso-2022-7bit explicitly.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-08-31 16:15             ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2009-08-31 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Juri Linkov, kawabata.taichi, emacs-devel

> Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> writes:
>
>> BTW, I think we should convert HELLO to UTF-8.  Do you see any symbol
>> in HELLO not supported by UTF-8?
>
> Isn't it currently UTF-8?

It's iso-2022-7bit, and converting it to utf-8 would lose the cjk
variants.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-08-31 16:16             ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2009-08-31 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, kawabata.taichi, emacs-devel

>     > As there are thousands of languages in the world, attempting to add
>     > every languae unconditionaly may shadow the purpose of HELLO file.
>
>     How can extra languages in HELLO shadow its purpose?
>
> If we put the most important things at the top, there is no harm
> having lots of languages after that.  I think there are some 3,000
> living languages.  If each one takes 10 bytes, that's 30,000 bytes,
> which is no big deal.

We could put just one character from every script at the top
(like can be seen on the logo of Wikipedia).

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-08-31 16:32               ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2009-08-31 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:

> Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> writes:
>
>> Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> writes:
>>
>>> BTW, I think we should convert HELLO to UTF-8.  Do you see any symbol
>>> in HELLO not supported by UTF-8?
>>
>> Isn't it currently UTF-8?
>
> It's iso-2022-7bit, and converting it to utf-8 would lose the cjk
> variants.

Since Emacs-23 has utf-8 as its internal encoding, I have my problems to
see how they are not lost anyway.

--
David Kastrup

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-08-31 17:02                 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2009-08-31 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: emacs-devel

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:
>
>> Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> writes:

>>> Isn't it currently UTF-8?
>>
>> It's iso-2022-7bit, and converting it to utf-8 would lose the cjk
>> variants.
>
> Since Emacs-23 has utf-8 as its internal encoding, I have my problems to
> see how they are not lost anyway.

See the charset properties.

Andreas.

--

@ 2009-08-31 17:07               ` Rupert Swarbrick
From: Rupert Swarbrick @ 2009-08-31 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

kawabata.taichi@gmail.com writes:

>> If we put the most important things at the top, there is no harm
>> having lots of languages after that.  I think there are some 3,000
>> living languages.  If each one takes 10 bytes, that's 30,000 bytes,
>> which is no big deal.
>
> Anther thing I'm worring is a quality.  There may be mistakes during the
> compilation process of HELLO file.  (I tried to do double-check by
> putting all the phrases into the search engine and see if they hit to
> multiple sources, but not all of languages such attempts are
> successful.)  There may also be informal greetings that some people may
> feel uncomforatble, but I couldn't know if such thing really occured.

I presume you've seen the following page before?

http://users.elite.net/runner/jennifers/hello.htm

Rupert

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 314 bytes --]

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-08-31 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
> Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 18:32:25 +0200
>
> > It's iso-2022-7bit, and converting it to utf-8 would lose the cjk
> > variants.
>
> Since Emacs-23 has utf-8 as its internal encoding, I have my problems to
> see how they are not lost anyway.

That's because the internal encoding extends Unicode, see the ELisp
manual for the details.

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-08-31 22:03                   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2009-08-31 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: David Kastrup, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
>> Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 18:32:25 +0200
>>
>> > It's iso-2022-7bit, and converting it to utf-8 would lose the cjk
>> > variants.
>>
>> Since Emacs-23 has utf-8 as its internal encoding, I have my problems to
>> see how they are not lost anyway.
>
> That's because the internal encoding extends Unicode, see the ELisp
> manual for the details.

Though these extensions are not used for CJK variants.

Andreas.

--

@ 2009-09-01 11:41                   ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2009-09-01 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: dak, emacs-devel

In article <m38wgz7w77.fsf@hase.home>, Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:

> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
> > Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:

>>> It's iso-2022-7bit, and converting it to utf-8 would lose the cjk
>>> variants.
> >
> > Since Emacs-23 has utf-8 as its internal encoding, I have my problems to
> > see how they are not lost anyway.

> See the charset properties.

As iso-2022-7bit has designation sequences for each
character set, Emacs can use that information to add proper
`charset' property, and that property infulence the font
selection.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-09-01 21:27                     ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2009-09-01 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: dak, Andreas Schwab, emacs-devel

>> > Since Emacs-23 has utf-8 as its internal encoding, I have my
>> > problems to see how they are not lost anyway.
>
>> See the charset properties.
>
> As iso-2022-7bit has designation sequences for each
> character set, Emacs can use that information to add proper
> `charset' property, and that property infulence the font
> selection.

The purpose of the HELLO file is to demonstrate Emacs multilingual
capabilities.  It currently does this using iso-2022-7bit.  Does this
mean that UTF-8 is not the best coding system for multilingual texts
in Emacs, because UTF-8 has some limitations (doesn't provide the
proper font selection, loses cjk variants), so iso-2022-7bit is the
preferable coding system for multilingual texts in Emacs?  Is it possible
to improve the UTF-8 support in Emacs since most files use it nowadays?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-09-03 13:07                       ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2009-09-03 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: dak, schwab, emacs-devel

In article <873a762ylx.fsf@mail.jurta.org>, Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> writes:

> > As iso-2022-7bit has designation sequences for each
> > character set, Emacs can use that information to add proper
> > `charset' property, and that property infulence the font
> > selection.

> The purpose of the HELLO file is to demonstrate Emacs multilingual
> capabilities.  It currently does this using iso-2022-7bit.  Does this
> mean that UTF-8 is not the best coding system for multilingual texts
> in Emacs, because UTF-8 has some limitations (doesn't provide the
> proper font selection, loses cjk variants), so iso-2022-7bit is the
> preferable coding system for multilingual texts in Emacs?

At least for CJK characters included in legacy character
sets (e.g. JISX0208, GB2312, etc), iso-2022-7bit is still
better than utf-8 if we concern font selection.

> Is it possible
> to improve the UTF-8 support in Emacs since most files use it nowadays?

For that, we must use language tags, but they are strongly
discouraged by Unicode.  Unicode doesn't concern font
selection problem.  It says that it is a task of higher
level information, for instance, that is provided by XML's
language tag.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-09-06 18:20                         ` 牛粥
From: 牛粥 @ 2009-09-06 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: emacs-devel

At Thu, 03 Sep 2009 22:07:50 +0900,
Kenichi Handa wrote:

> In article <873a762ylx.fsf@mail.jurta.org>, Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> writes:
>
> > > As iso-2022-7bit has designation sequences for each
> > > character set, Emacs can use that information to add proper
> > > `charset' property, and that property infulence the font
> > > selection.
>
> > The purpose of the HELLO file is to demonstrate Emacs multilingual
> > capabilities.  It currently does this using iso-2022-7bit.  Does this
> > mean that UTF-8 is not the best coding system for multilingual texts
> > in Emacs, because UTF-8 has some limitations (doesn't provide the
> > proper font selection, loses cjk variants), so iso-2022-7bit is the
> > preferable coding system for multilingual texts in Emacs?
>
> At least for CJK characters included in legacy character
> sets (e.g. JISX0208, GB2312, etc), iso-2022-7bit is still
> better than utf-8 if we concern font selection.
>
> > Is it possible
> > to improve the UTF-8 support in Emacs since most files use it nowadays?
>
> For that, we must use language tags, but they are strongly
> discouraged by Unicode.  Unicode doesn't concern font
> selection problem.  It says that it is a task of higher
> level information, for instance, that is provided by XML's
> language tag.

According to Handa-san's mentions,
if we do not use iso-2022-7bit, we cannot do input/output of non-ascii
characters. Is that right? Still i'm wondering what it means ...

Sincerely,

--
Byung-Hee HWANG
∑ WWW: http://izb.knu.ac.kr/~bh/

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-09-06 20:01                           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-09-06 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 牛粥; +Cc: emacs-devel, handa

> Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 03:20:16 +0900
> From: bh@izb.knu.ac.kr (=?UTF-8?B?54mb57Kl?=)
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> According to Handa-san's mentions,
> if we do not use iso-2022-7bit, we cannot do input/output of non-ascii
> characters. Is that right?

No, it isn't right.  What Handa-san says is that for _some_ scripts,
selection of font can be more according to user expectations if the
information about the language is preserved.  iso-2022 gives us an
opportunity to identify the language, while utf-8 does not.

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-09-06 21:08                             ` 牛粥
From: 牛粥 @ 2009-09-06 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

At Sun, 06 Sep 2009 23:01:25 +0300,
Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 03:20:16 +0900
> > From: bh@izb.knu.ac.kr (=?UTF-8?B?54mb57Kl?=)
> > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> >
> > According to Handa-san's mentions,
> > if we do not use iso-2022-7bit, we cannot do input/output of non-ascii
> > characters. Is that right?
>
> No, it isn't right.  What Handa-san says is that for _some_ scripts,
> selection of font can be more according to user expectations if the
> information about the language is preserved.  iso-2022 gives us an
> opportunity to identify the language, while utf-8 does not.

That makes sense to me, thanks for explanation!

Sincerely,

--
Byung-Hee HWANG
∑ WWW: http://izb.knu.ac.kr/~bh/

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-09-07  1:01                           ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2009-09-07  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: =?UTF-8?B?54mb57Kl?=; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <86ab18orz3.wl%bh@izb.knu.ac.kr>, bh@izb.knu.ac.kr (=?UTF-8?B?54mb57Kl?=) writes:

> According to Handa-san's mentions,
> if we do not use iso-2022-7bit, we cannot do input/output of non-ascii
> characters. Is that right?

No.  I didn't say such a thing.

> Still i'm wondering what it means ...

I don't understand from which statement of mine you get such
a conclusion.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-09-07  1:02                             ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2009-09-07  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: bh, emacs-devel

In article <831vmj4zca.fsf@gnu.org>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> No, it isn't right.  What Handa-san says is that for _some_ scripts,
> selection of font can be more according to user expectations if the
> information about the language is preserved.  iso-2022 gives us an
> opportunity to identify the language, while utf-8 does not.

Yes.  Thank you for explaining it in clear words.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-09-08  0:12               ` kawabata.taichi
From: kawabata.taichi @ 2009-09-08  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Juri Linkov, Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

Sorry I was late only reply.

>> In <m3fxb86jtb.fsf@hase.home>, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> >> BTW, I think we should convert HELLO to UTF-8.  Do you see any symbol
> >> in HELLO not supported by UTF-8?
> >
> > Isn't it currently UTF-8?

> It's iso-2022-7bit, and converting it to utf-8 would lose the cjk
> variants.

`iso-2022-7bit' has been adopted for HELLO file, as it could contain CJK
variants differently, but if we are to go into depth of various scripts
and symbols that ISO-2022 does not support, we could only use UTF.

ISO/IEC 10646 Annex T provides the way to describe the language in plain
text by using Language Tags, such as follows:

󠀁󠁺󠁨开发󠀁󠁿、󠀁󠁺󠁨󠀭󠁴󠁷開發󠀁󠁿、󠀁󠁪󠁡開発󠀁󠁿

Language Tags are not recommended by the Unicode (as long as there is
other ways to describe language, such as XML lang attributes), but it is
the only way to describe language in plain text.  Or switch we switch
HELLO file from plain text to some XML format?

# Emacs still doesn't handle Language Tags, but I think it wouldn't be
# difficult in some future time...

I'll attach updated HELLO examples as follows, that incorporates all the
languages I could find "HELLO" word, plus Language Tag usage examples
(someday Emacs may support it?) and fixed the logical order of Arabic
language.

  kawabata.taichi@gmail.com       KAWABATA, Taichi

[-- Attachment #2: HELLO.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 17687 bytes --]

This is a list of ways to say hello in various languages.
(For symbols and some scripts, only sample texts or characters are shown.)

Languages and scripts are classified by writing directions.

1. Scripts written from left to right.

LANGUAGE (NATIVE NAME)	HELLO
----------------------	-----
xAbenaki (Alnôba)	Kwai Kwai!
Abkhaz (аҧсуа бызшәа)	мыш бзи!
Afar (`Afa'r af)	Mahisse
Afrikaans	Hallo, Goeie dag
Ainu (アイヌ イタㇰ)	イランカラㇷ゚テ
Alabama (Albaamo innaaɬiilka)	Chíkmàa
Albanian (shqip / gjuha shqipe)	C'kemi, Tungjatjeta
Alsatian	Hallo, Güete Tag
Amharic (አማርኛ)	ሠላም
Aragonese	Ola
Arapaho (Hinonoéitiit)	Héébee, Tous
Armenian (Հայերէն)	բարև
Aromanian / Vlach (Armãneashti)	bunã dzua
Arrernte	Werte
Assamese (অসমীয়া)	নমস্কার
Asturian	Hola, Bonos díes
Avar (магIарул мацI)	ВорчIами! / ЙорчIами!
Balkar (малкъар/балкъар)	Кюнюгюз ашхы болсун!
Basque (euskara)	Kaixo
Belarusian (Беларуская мова)	Вітаю, Дзень добры
Bengali (বাংলা)	নমস্কার
Bhojpuri (भोजपुरी)	प्रणाम / परणाम
Bosnian (Bosanski)	Dobar dan Zdravo / Merhaba
Braille	⠓⠑⠇⠇⠕
Breton	Salud, Mat an traoù ganeoc'h
Bulgarian (български)	Здравейте
Burmese (မ္ရန္‌မာ)	မင္‍ဂလာပာ
C	printf ("Hello, world!\n");
Caddo (Hasí:nay)	Káhaʔahat!
Cantonese (粵語 / 廣東話)	早晨 / 你好 / 喂
Catalan (català)	Hola, Bon dia
Catawba	tɑnakɛ!
Cayuga (Goyogo̱hó:nǫ’)	Sgę́nǫ’
Chamorro	Håfa ådai / Buenas
Chechen (Нохчийн мотт)	Салам
Cherokee (ᏣᎳᎩ ᎧᏬᏂᎯᏍᏗ)	ᎣᏏᏲ
Cheyenne (Etsėhesenestse)	Haáhe!
Chichewa (Chicheŵa)	Moni bambo!
Chickasaw (Chikasha)	Chokma!
Chinese ( 普通话 / 汉语 / 漢語)	你好, 您好
Chinese, Hakka (客话 / 𠊎话)	爾好
Chinese, Shanghainese (上海话)	儂好
Chiricahua	Hadínyaa?
Choctaw (Chahta Anumpa)	Halito
Cimbrian	Guuten takh
Congo	mambo
Comanche (Nu̶mu̶ tekwapu̶̲)	Marú̶awe!
Cornish (Kernewek / Kernowek)	Dydh da, Hou, You, Ha, Hou sos
Corsican (corsu)	Bonghjornu
Cree (ᓀᐦᐃᔭᐍᐏᐣ / ᓀᐦᐃᔭᐤ)	ᐊᑕᒥᐢᑳᑐᐃᐧᐣ
Croatian (Hrvatski)	Bok / Čao / Dobar Dan
Czech (čeština)	Dobrý den
Dalecarian	Hej / Høj / Góðdag
Danish (dansk)	Hej / Goddag / Halløj
Deseret (𐐼𐐯𐑅𐐨𐑉𐐯𐐻 𐐰𐑊𐑁𐐩𐐺𐐯𐐻)	𐐸𐑩𐑊𐐬
Dinka (Thuɔŋjäŋ)	Ci yi bak
Dutch (Nederlands)	Hallo / Dag
Dzongkha (རྫོང་ཁ)	སྐུ་གཟུགས་བཟང་པོ
Emacs	emacs --no-splash -f view-hello-file
English /ˈɪŋɡlɪʃ/	Hello
Erzya (эрзянь кель)	Шумбрат!
Esperanto	Saluton
[...]
LOLcat ;->	Ohai!
Lao (ພາສາລາວ)	ສະບາຍດີ / ຂໍໃຫ້ໂຊກດີ
[...]
Tetum (tetun)	bondia
Thai (ภาษาไทย)	สวัสดีครับ / สวัสดีค่ะ
Tibetan (བོད་སྐད་)	བཀྲ་ཤིས་བདེ་ལེགས༎
Tigrigna (ትግርኛ)	ሰላማት
Tok Pisin (Tok Pisin)	Gude
Tongan (Faka-Tonga)	Malo e lelei / Malo e tau lava
Tsez (цез мец)	АсаламугIалейкум!
Tshiluba	moyo
Tsonga (xiTsonga)	minjhani
Turkish (Türkçe)	Merhaba / Selam / İyi günler Alo / Efendim
Udmurt (удмурт кыл)	Умой!
Ukrainian (українська)	Вітаю
Uzbek (o'zbek tili)	Assalomu Alaykum!
Venda (tshiVenḓa)	I nhlikanhi
Veps	Tervhen!
Vietnamese (tiếng Việt)	Chào bạn
Volapük	Glidis
Walloon (walon)	Bondjoû
Warlpiri	Ngurrju mayinpa
Welsh (Cymraeg / Y Gymraeg)	Helô / Hylô / Shwmae
Xhosa (isiXhosa)	Molo / Molweni
Yappese	Mogethin
Yoruba (Yorùbá)	Ẹ n lẹ
Zulu (isiZulu)	Sawubona / Sanibonani

SCRIPT NAME	SAMPLES
----------------------	-----
Balinese (ᬩᬲ ᬩᬮᬶ)	ᬓᬔᬕᬖᬗᬘᬙᬚᬛᬜᬝᬞᬟ
Blackfoot (ᑯᖾᖹ / ᓱᖽᐧᖿ)	ᖳᖰᖱᖲ
[...]
Lydian	𐤠𐤡𐤢𐤣𐤤𐤥𐤦𐤧
New Tai Lue	ᦀᦁᦂᦃᦄᦅᦆᦇ
Ogham	᚛ᚁᚂᚃᚄᚅᚆᚇᚈᚉᚊᚋᚌᚍᚎᚏᚐᚑᚒᚒᚔ᚜
Santali (Ol Chiki)	ᱟᱲ.ᱟ.
Old Persian	𐎠𐎡𐎢𐎣𐎤𐎥𐎦𐎧𐎨𐎩𐎪𐎫𐎬𐎭𐎮𐎯
Osmanya	𐒀𐒁𐒂𐒃𐒄𐒅𐒆𐒇𐒈𐒉𐒊𐒋𐒌𐒍𐒎𐒏
Phaistos Disc	𐇑𐇛𐇜𐇐𐇡
Phonetic Extensions	ᴀᴁᴂᴃᴄᴅᴆᴇᴈᴉᴊᴋᴌᴍᴎᴏ
Phonetic Extension Supplement	ᶀᶁᶂᶃᶄᶅᶆᶇᶈᶉᶊᶋᶌᶍᶎᶏ
Rejang	ꤰꤱꤲꤴꤵ
Runic	ᛒᛁᛏᚱᛅᛁᛋ᛬ᛚᛅᛁᚠᛅ᛬ᚠᚢᛋᛏᚱᛅ᛬ᚴᚢᚦᛅᚾ᛬ᚦᛅᚾ᛬ᛋᚭᚾ᛬ᛁᛚᛅᚾ᛭
Saurashtra	ꢂꢒꢂꢬꢣꢶ
Sundanese	ᮀᮁᮂᮃᮄᮅᮆᮇᮈᮉᮊᮋᮌᮍᮎᮏ
Syloti Nagri	ꠀꠇꠣꠌꠤꠐꠥꠔꠦ
Tagbanwa (ᝤᝪᝨᝯ)	ᝠᝡᝢᝣᝤᝥᝦᝧᝨᝩᝪᝫᝬ
Tifinagh (ⵜⵉⴼⵉⵏⴰⵖ)	ⴰⴱⴲⴳⴴⴵⴶⴷⴸⴹⴺⴻⴼⴽⴾⴿ
Tai Le (ᥖᥭᥰᥖᥬᥳᥑᥨᥒᥰ)	ᥐᥑᥒᥓᥔᥕᥖᥗᥘᥙᥚᥛᥜᥝᥞᥟ
New Tai Lue	ᦀᦁᦂᦃᦄᦅᦆᦇᦈᦉᦊᦋᦌᦍᦎᦏ
Ugaritic	𐎀𐎁𐎂𐎃𐎄𐎅𐎆𐎇𐎈𐎉𐎊𐎋𐎌𐎍𐎎𐎏
Vai	ꔀꔁꔂꔃꔄꔅꔆꔇꔈꔉꔊꔋꔌꔍꔎꔏ
Yi (ꆇꉙ)	ꉷꆀꅇꌫꏦ

\f

2. Scripts written from Right to Left.

LANGUAGE (NATIVE NAME)	HELLO
----------------------	-----
Arabic (ةّيبرعلا)	السلام عليكم
Aramaic, Syriac (ܠܫܢܐ ܤܘܪܝܝܐ)	ܐܵܝ! / ܐܳܝ!
Dhivehi (ހިވެދި)	ކިހިނެތް؟ / ހާލު ކިހިނެތް؟
Hebrew (תירבע)	שלום
Persian (فارسى)	سلام / درود
Urdu (اردو)	السلام علیکم
Yiddish (ײִדיש / מאַמע לשון)	אַ גוטן טאָג

SCRIPT NAME	SAMPLES
----------------------	-----
Arabic Supplement	ݐݑݒݓݔݕݖݗݘݙݚݛݜݝݞݟ
Cypriot Syllabary	𐠀𐠁𐠂𐠃𐠄𐠅𐠈𐠊𐠋𐠌𐠍𐠎𐠏
Kharoshthi	𐨠𐨡𐨢𐨣𐨤𐨥𐨦𐨧𐨨𐨩𐨪𐨫𐨬𐨭𐨮𐨯
Linear B	𐀀𐀁𐀂𐀃𐀄𐀅𐀆𐀇 / 𐂀𐂁𐂂𐂃𐂄𐂅𐂆𐂇
N'Ko (ߒߞߏ)	߀߁߂߃߄߅߆߇߈߉ߊߋߌߍߎߏ
Old Italic	𐌀𐌁𐌂𐌃𐌄𐌅𐌆𐌇𐌈𐌉𐌊𐌋𐌌𐌍𐌎𐌏
Phoenician	𐤀𐤁𐤂𐤃𐤄𐤅𐤆𐤇𐤈𐤉𐤊𐤋𐤌𐤍𐤎𐤏

\f

3. Scripts written from Top to Bottom

LANGUAGE (NATIVE NAME)	HELLO
----------------------	-----
Mongolian (ᠮᠣᠨᠭᠣᠯ ᠪᠢᠴᠢᠭ)	ᠰᠠᠢ᠋ᠨ ᠪᠠᠢ᠋ᠨ ᠤᠦ
Japanese (日本語)	もし〳〵 (Vertical Repetition Marks)

SCRIPT NAME	SAMPLES
----------------------	-----
Manchurian (ᠮᠠᠨᠵᡠ)	ᡶᡠᡯᡳ ᡥᡝᠨᡩᡠᠮᡝ᠈ ᡨᠠᠴᡳᠮᠪᡳᠮᡝ ᡝᡵᡳᠨᡩᡝᡵᡳ
	ᡠᡵᡳᠪᡠᠴᡳ᠈ ᡳᠨᡠ ᡠᡵᡤᡠᠨ ᠸᠠᡴᠠ᠉
Kanbun (漢文)	使㆟籍誠不㆚以㆘蓄㆓妻子㆒憂㆗飢寒㆖乱㆙㆑心、
	有㆑銭以済㆞医薬㆝。
Phags-pa	ꡏꡟ ꡋꡞ ꡏꡟ ꡋꡞ ᠂ ꡏ ꡜꡖ ꡏꡟ ꡋꡞ ᠂ ꡓꡞ ꡏꡟ ᠁

\f

4. Symbols

SYMBOL NAMES	EXAMPLES
----------------------	-----
Aegean Numbers	𐄀𐄁𐄂𐄇 𐄈𐄉𐄊𐄋𐄌𐄍𐄎𐄏
Ancient Greek Numbers	𐅀𐅁𐅂𐅃𐅄𐅅𐅆𐅇𐅈𐅉𐅊𐅋𐅌𐅍𐅎𐅏
Ancient Symbols	𐆐𐆑𐆒𐆓𐆔𐆕𐆖𐆗𐆘𐆙𐆚𐆛
Ancient Greek Musical Notation	𝈀𝈁𝈂𝈃𝈄𝈅𝈆𝈈𝈉𝈊𝈋𝈌𝈍𝈎𝈏
Arrows	←↑↠↡↰↱⇀⇁⟰⟱⟲⟳⤀⤁⤐⤑⤠⤡⤰⤱⥀⥁
Block Elements	▀▁▂▃▄▅▆▇▐░▒▓▔▕▖▗
Box Drawing	┌┐└┘├┤┬┴
Byzantine Musical Symbols	𝀰𝀱𝀲𝀳𝀴𝀵𝀶𝀷
Combining Diacritical Marks	à á â ã ā a̅ ă ȧ ä ả å a̋ ǎ a̍ a̎ ȁ
Combining Diacritical Marks For Symbols	a⃐ a⃑ a⃒ a⃓ a⃔ a⃕ a⃖ a⃗
Combining Diacritical Marks Supplement	a᷀ a᷁ a᷂ a᷃ a᷄ a᷅ a᷆ a᷇ a᷈ a᷉ a᷊ a᷋ a᷌ a᷍ a᷎ a᷏
Control Pictures	␁␂␃␄␅␆␇␈␉␊␋␌␍␎␏
Counting Rod Numerals	𝍠𝍡𝍢𝍣𝍤𝍥𝍦𝍧𝍨𝍩𝍪𝍫𝍬𝍭𝍮𝍯
Currency Symbols	$¢£¤¥₠₡₢₣₤₥₦₧₨₩₪₫₭₮₯
Dingbats	✁✆✇✈✉✌✍✐✒✓✟✠
Domino Tiles	🀰🀲🁂🁒🁛🁢🁤🁴🂄🂍
Enclosed Alphanumerics	①②③④⑴⑵⑶⑷⒈⒉⒊⒋⒜⒝⒞⒟ⒶⒷⒸⒹⓐⓑⓒⓓ⓵⓶⓷⓸
Geometric Shapes	■□▢▣▤▥▦▧▰▱▲△▴▵▶▷◀◁◂◃◄◅◆◇◐◑◒◓◔◕◖◗
Ideographic Description Characters	漢=⿰氵𦰩, 字=⿱宀子
Khmer Symbols	᧠᧡᧢᧣᧤᧥᧦᧧᧨᧩᧪᧫᧬᧭᧮᧯
Letterlike Symbols	℀℁ℂ℃℄℅℆ℇ℈℉ℊℋℌℍℎℏ
Misellaneous Symbols	☄★☆☐☑☒☓♀♁♂♃♨♰♲♳♴⚀⚁⚐⚒⚓⚠⚡⚢
Number Forms	⅓⅔⅕⅖ⅠⅡⅢⅣⅰⅱⅲⅳↀↁↂↃↄ
Mahjong Tiles	🀀🀁🀂🀃🀆🀅🀄🀇🀏🀐🀘🀙🀡🀢🀦🀪🀫
Mathematical Operators	∀∂∃∄∈∊∌∑∓√⨀⨁⨂⨃⨐⨠⨡⨢⨰⨱⨲⩀⩁⩂
Mathematical Symbols	⟀⟁⟂⟃⟐⟑⟒⟓⟠⟡⟢⟣⦀⦁⦂⦃⦄
Mathematical Alphanumeric Symbols	𝐀𝐁𝐂𝐃𝐄𝐅𝐆𝐇𝐈𝐉𝐊𝐋𝐌𝐍𝐎𝐏
Modifier Tone Letters	꜀꜁꜂꜃꜄꜅꜆꜇꜈꜉꜊꜋꜌꜍꜎꜏
Musical Symbols	𝆰𝆱𝆲𝆳𝆴𝆵𝆶𝆷𝆸𝆹𝆺𝆹𝅥𝆺𝅥𝆹𝅥𝅮𝆺𝅥𝅮𝆹𝅥𝅯
Optical Character Recognition	⑀⑁⑂⑃⑄⑅⑆⑇⑈⑉⑊
Planet Symbols	☿♀♁♂♃♄♅♆♇ / ⚳⚴⚵⚶⚷
Recycling Symbols	♲♳♴♵♶♷♸♹♺♻♼♽
Superscripts	⁰¹²³²⁴⁵⁶⁷⁸⁹⁺⁻⁼⁽⁾ⁿʰʱʲʳʴʵʶʷʸˠˡˢˣˤჼ
Subscripts	₀₁₂₃₄₅₆₇₈₉₊₋₌₍₎ₐₑᵢₒᵤⱼᵥₓᵣₔₓ
Supplemental Punctuation	⸀⸁⸂⸃⸄⸅⸆⸇⸈⸉⸊⸋⸌⸍⸎
Technical Symbols	⌀⌁⌂⌃⌐⌑⌒⌠⌡⌰⌱⌲⌳⍀⍁⍂⍐⍑⍒
Tai Xuan Jing Symbols	𝌰𝌱𝌲𝌳𝌴𝌵𝌶𝌷𝌸𝌹𝌺𝌻𝌼𝌽𝌾𝌿
Tramp Suites	♠♡♢♣♤♥♦♧
Yijing Hexagram Symbols	☰☱☲☳☴☵☶☷
Weather Symbols	☀☁☂☃☔

\f

5. Special Characters

NAME	SAMPLES
----------------------	-----
LANGUAGE TAGS	󠀁󠁺󠁨开发󠀁󠁿、󠀁󠁺󠁨󠀭󠁴󠁷開發󠀁󠁿、󠀁󠁪󠁡開発󠀁󠁿
VARIATION SELECTORS	邊 vs. 邊󠄀, 邊󠄁, 邊󠄂, 邊󠄃, 邊󠄄, 邊󠄅, 邊󠄆, 邊󠄇

\f

Copyright (C) 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
  Free Software Foundation, Inc.

This file is part of GNU Emacs.

GNU Emacs is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.

GNU Emacs is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,

along with GNU Emacs.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

;;; Local Variables:
;;; tab-width: 40
;;; End:

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-09-08  2:53                 ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2009-09-08  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kawabata.taichi; +Cc: Juri Linkov, Chong Yidong, Andreas Schwab, emacs-devel

kawabata.taichi@gmail.com writes:

 > `iso-2022-7bit' has been adopted for HELLO file, as it could contain CJK
 > variants differently, but if we are to go into depth of various scripts
 > and symbols that ISO-2022 does not support, we could only use UTF.

ISO 2022 supports Unicode via the "incompatible encodings" control
sequence (I forget the exact name and escape sequence).  I don't know
if Emacs's iso-2022-* coding systems support it, but it's not hard to
add in the unlikely case that you don't have it already.

IMO, a better way to do this would be to change the HELLO file to be a
Lisp library, and encode it in UTF-8.  The table of greetings can
simply be wrapped into a string, and add a table of "languages we have
preferred fonts for" in Lisp.

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-09-08  3:11                 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-09-08  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kawabata.taichi; +Cc: juri, cyd, schwab, emacs-devel

> From: kawabata.taichi@gmail.com
> Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 09:12:30 +0900
> Cc: Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org>, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>,
> 	emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> fixed the logical order of Arabic language.

Fixed how?  (Sorry, don't have time to look.)  The name of the
language (not the greeting) should be in visual order, because Emacs
does not yet support bidirectional display.

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-09-09  0:47                 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2009-09-09  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kawabata.taichi; +Cc: Chong Yidong, Andreas Schwab, emacs-devel

> Language Tags are not recommended by the Unicode (as long as there is
> other ways to describe language, such as XML lang attributes), but it is
> the only way to describe language in plain text.  Or switch we switch
> HELLO file from plain text to some XML format?

Or maybe switch to a simpler markup like in emacs/etc/enriched.doc
(and add the language tag support to this format).

> I'll attach updated HELLO examples as follows, that incorporates all the
> languages I could find "HELLO" word, plus Language Tag usage examples
> (someday Emacs may support it?) and fixed the logical order of Arabic
> language.

Thanks, your new list is surprisingly compact.  I have only a few comments.

1. In the current HELLO file the greeting in Slovak is correct
(see http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dobr%C3%BD_de%C5%88 )
and displays non-ASCII characters.  I think it's better to keep
the current greeting for Slovak.

2. Esperanto used to display a nice diacritical pangram "Eĥoŝanĝo ĉiuĵaŭde".
Even thought it's not a greeting, I think we should keep it.

3. You could replace the old Euro currency U+20A0 ₠ with the new one
U+20AC €.

4. Klingon uses the Private Use Area U+F8D0 - U+F8FF
http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/Test_Klingon.html

5. You've removed charsets jisx0201 and jisx0208 from Japanese greetings.
Is it because they are not needed for font selection, or just because
the transfer charset in your message was utf-8?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-09-12 13:52                   ` Per Starbäck
From: Per Starbäck @ 2009-09-12 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen J. Turnbull
  Cc: Juri Linkov, kawabata.taichi, Andreas Schwab, Chong Yidong,
	emacs-devel

2009/9/8 Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@xemacs.org>:
> IMO, a better way to do this would be to change the HELLO file to be a
> Lisp library, and encode it in UTF-8.  The table of greetings can
> simply be wrapped into a string, and add a table of "languages we have
> preferred fonts for" in Lisp.

Also if there's a hello command that creates a buffer ("*Hello*"?) dynamically,
it could put a greeting for the appropriate locale at the top.

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-09-12 17:45                   `  Taichi KAWABATA
From:  Taichi KAWABATA  @ 2009-09-12 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: juri, cyd, schwab, emacs-devel

>> In <83pra22krm.fsf@gnu.org>, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > fixed the logical order of Arabic language.

> Fixed how?  (Sorry, don't have time to look.)  The name of the
> language (not the greeting) should be in visual order, because Emacs
> does not yet support bidirectional display.

Fixed to follow reading order.  They should be rendered correctly when
copied to other programs that can handle BIDI correctly, which may
include future version of Emacs.

>> In <87zl946g9k.fsf@mail.jurta.org>, Juri Linkov wrote:

> Or maybe switch to a simpler markup like in emacs/etc/enriched.doc
> (and add the language tag support to this format).

> 3. You could replace the old Euro currency U+20A0 ₠ with the new one
> U+20AC €.

That's right.  They should be replaced....

> 4. Klingon uses the Private Use Area U+F8D0 - U+F8FF
> http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/Test_Klingon.html

I think non-standardized characters should be avoided.

> 5. You've removed charsets jisx0201 and jisx0208 from Japanese
> greetings.  Is it because they are not needed for font selection, or
> just because the transfer charset in your message was utf-8?

`Japanese' entry of HELLO contains characters from both JIS X 0208
charsets and JIS X 0201 charsets (halfwidth katakana chars.)

Regards,

@ 2009-09-12 17:51                     ` 川幡 太一
From: 川幡 太一 @ 2009-09-12 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Starbäck
  Cc: Juri Linkov, Stephen J. Turnbull, Andreas Schwab, Chong Yidong,
	emacs-devel

>> In <912155b0909120652s1649303o8468150c79c53f9b@mail.gmail.com>,
>> Per Starbäck wrote:

> 2009/9/8 Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@xemacs.org>:
> > IMO, a better way to do this would be to change the HELLO file to be a
> > Lisp library, and encode it in UTF-8.  The table of greetings can
> > simply be wrapped into a string, and add a table of "languages we have
> > preferred fonts for" in Lisp.

> Also if there's a hello command that creates a buffer ("*Hello*"?) dynamically,
> it could put a greeting for the appropriate locale at the top.

In some way, it is already realized by `sample-text' attribute of
`set-language-info-alist' function.

`HELLO' file may be useful for symbols and scripts not yet (or cannot
be) supported by Emacs as language, but are already encoded by the
UCS/Unicode.

Regards,

From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-09-12 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To:  Taichi KAWABATA ; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: kawabata.taichi@gmail.com ( Taichi KAWABATA )
> Cc: schwab@linux-m68k.org, juri@jurta.org, cyd@stupidchicken.com,
> 	emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 02:45:24 +0900
>
> >> In <83pra22krm.fsf@gnu.org>, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > > fixed the logical order of Arabic language.
>
> > Fixed how?  (Sorry, don't have time to look.)  The name of the
> > language (not the greeting) should be in visual order, because Emacs
> > does not yet support bidirectional display.
>
> Fixed to follow reading order.  They should be rendered correctly when
> copied to other programs that can handle BIDI correctly, which may
> include future version of Emacs.

No, we deliberately have the language in visual order to make it
readable.  Being readable is more important than being
copy-paste-able.  When Emacs supports bidirectional editing, we will
reorder that again.

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-09-15  5:20                       ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2009-09-15  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: kawabata.taichi, emacs-devel

In article <83ocpgymug.fsf@gnu.org>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> No, we deliberately have the language in visual order to make it
> readable.  Being readable is more important than being
> copy-paste-able.  When Emacs supports bidirectional editing, we will
> reorder that again.

I now think it's more important to tell whether or not Emacs
supports it.  When one sees that Arabic is correctly
displayed in HELLO, he may misunderstand that Arabic is
supported.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-09-15  8:08                         ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2009-09-15  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> writes:

> In article <83ocpgymug.fsf@gnu.org>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> No, we deliberately have the language in visual order to make it
>> readable.  Being readable is more important than being
>> copy-paste-able.  When Emacs supports bidirectional editing, we will
>> reorder that again.
>
> I now think it's more important to tell whether or not Emacs
> supports it.  When one sees that Arabic is correctly
> displayed in HELLO, he may misunderstand that Arabic is
> supported.

IIRC, R-L display is the principal remaining heavy-lifting task on the
roadmap.  I think that rearranging the HELLO file manually into reading
order gives the wrong message not just to the users, but also to the
developers.

--
David Kastrup

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-09-15 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: kawabata.taichi, emacs-devel

> From: Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org>
> Cc: kawabata.taichi@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:20:29 +0900
>
> When one sees that Arabic is correctly displayed in HELLO, he may
> misunderstand that Arabic is supported.

That's why we left the greeting itself in the logical (a.k.a. reading)
order.  Only the name of the language is in visual order.  I think
this is a good compromise, and given that it was just changed in Emacs
23.1 (from the logical order for both the language name and the
greeting), I suggest that we leave it at that for the moment.

* Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
@ 2009-09-15 17:20                           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-09-15 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
> Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 10:08:20 +0200
>
> I think that rearranging the HELLO file manually into reading order
> gives the wrong message not just to the users, but also to the
> developers.

Well, seeing the language name and the greeting in reverse for the
last 10 years didn't prompt any developer into doing something about
that, and the only developer working on this now doesn't really need
that as motivation.  So I wouldn't exaggerate the importance of this
nit.

(By ``reading order'', I presume that you mean visual order, not
logical order.  Apologies if I misunderstood.)