all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Right way: define, build and install
@ 2018-05-02 15:24 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2018-05-02 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jone; +Cc: help-guix

Le 2018-05-02 19:34, Jone a écrit :
> On Gentoo I actively used github: download, then local build and
> install
> in ~/{bin,tools}. It was easy! I didn't even need ebuilds and did not
> think as this works :-)
>
> Now I need several applications which are absent and will not be in
> official repositories of a distribution. For an example:
> 1. https://github.com/x2b/usbeject
> 2. xfce4-cpugraph-plugin
>
> I tried to define this as "some-package.scm" and build, but the first
> requires some magic with gexp, and for the second - it is unknown what
> for "use-modules". Finally, in the manual is just one stupid example
> "hello"!
>
> Help!!

Hi Jone and welcome!

if you could share your attempts, it would help us understand what's
going on better. Then we can actually help you ;)

Julien

* Re: Right way: define, build and install
@ 2018-05-02 15:28 ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-05-02 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jone; +Cc: help-guix

Please share your attempts! :)

The manual is not the best place to look for examples.  Instead, you'd
be best off looking at similar package declarations among the
distribution's official packages.  `guix` even provides a shortcut for
this, for instance:

  $ guix edit xfce4-battery-plugin

Off-topic:  I'm an mu4e user and for the past few e-mails Jone has sent,
they were all time-stamped from about 2 hours ahead in the future.
At UTC+1, I'm writing this at 17:27 while Jone's e-mail is timestamped
at 19:34.

Jone, would you have any clue why that is?  Anyone?

--
Pierre Neidhardt

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Right way: define, build and install
@ 2018-05-02 15:52     ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2018-05-02 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jone; +Cc: help-guix

Le 2018-05-02 20:43, Jone a écrit :
> But I am ashamed! :)
>
> 1. xfce4-cpugraph-plugin.scm
>
> (use-modules (ice-9 match)
>              (srfi srfi-1)
>              (guix gexp)
>              (guix packages)
> 			 (guix build)
>              (guix licenses)
>              (guix git-download)
>   (define-public xfce4-cpugraph-plugin
>   (package
>     (name "xfce4-cpugraph-plugin")
>     (version "1.0.5")
>     (source (origin
>               (method url-fetch)
>               (uri (string-append
> "http://archive.xfce.org/src/panel-plugins/"
>                                   name "/" (version-major+minor
> version) "/"
>                                   name "-" version ".tar.bz2"))
>               (sha256
>                (base32
>
> "1izl53q95m5xm2fiq7385vb1i9nwgjizxkmgpgh33zdckb40xnl5"))))
>     (build-system gnu-build-system)
>     (native-inputs `(("pkg-config" ,pkg-config)
>                      ("intltool" ,intltool)))
>     (inputs `(("glib" ,glib)
>               ("gtk+" ,gtk+-2)
>               ("libxfce4util" ,libxfce4util)
>               ("libxfce4ui" ,libxfce4ui)
>               ("xfce4-panel" ,xfce4-panel)))
>     (home-page
>      "https://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel-plugins/")
>     (synopsis "cpugraph")
>     (description
>      "TEST")
>     (license (list gpl2+ lgpl2.0+))))
> )
>
> 2. Then in terminal
>
> GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH=/home/jone/sys.cfg/build/my/ guix package -i
> xfce4-cpugraph-plugin
>
> ERROR: In procedure %resolve-variable:
> libxfce4util: unbound variable

Here what happens is that you use libxfce4util, but it's not in any of
the modules
you import. What you need to do is to find where this package comes
from:

> guix package --show=libxfce4util

will tell you (among other things):

> location: gnu/packages/xfce.scm:81:2

so you need to use the module (guix packages xfce). Repeat this for any
other missing
package variable. The module is the path reported by guix package, where
you replace /
with spaces and ignore anything after the .scm extension.

* Re: Right way: define, build and install
@ 2018-05-02 16:10     ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-05-02 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jone; +Cc: help-guix

Jone <yeger9@gmail.com> writes:

> About off-topic, if I understood you correctly, I have Rmail with
> default settings. I do not know.

Correction: I'm at UTC+2, like Julien.

Julien, you got the same time as me, right?

From the raw content of Jone's email,

Date: Wed, 02 May 2018 18:43:27 +0000

The above date is still in the future as of this writing.  The timezone
must be wrong.

What's your system timezone?  I think there is some configuration clash
between Rmail, your SMTP agent and your system timezone.

> I go and look, but there are no comments :-(

Comments are only used when deemed necessary, that is, mostly for
unusual code.

For the first time it might take some time to grasp the mechanics of
Guix package declarations.  Proceed step by step, change by change,
until you get something working.  Post your code and the error message
and Guix users will be able to help you out.

That said, I reckon the manual would certainly benefit from a detailed
package declaration example where all fields would be carefully
dissected for the first-time packagers.

--
Pierre Neidhardt

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Right way: define, build and install
@ 2018-05-02 16:15 ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-05-02 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jone; +Cc: help-guix

> 1. https://github.com/x2b/usbeject

What's the purpose of usbeject as opposed to, say, `udisksctl umount`?

--
Pierre Neidhardt

		-- Thomas Edison

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Right way: define, build and install
@ 2018-05-02 16:32       ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2018-05-02 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: help-guix

Le Wed, 02 May 2018 18:10:21 +0200,
Pierre Neidhardt <ambrevar@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Jone <yeger9@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > About off-topic, if I understood you correctly, I have Rmail with
> > default settings. I do not know.
>
> Correction: I'm at UTC+2, like Julien.
>
> Julien, you got the same time as me, right?

Yes, same thing.

@ 2018-05-02 16:58         ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-05-02 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jone; +Cc: help-guix

I don't use Rmail, so I'm a little clueless here.

Could you try sending an e-mail from Gmail's webmail?

>   (shell-command (concat "movemail --emacs pops://" username email-pswd-tmp
> 						 "@pop.gmail.com" " " inbox))

What is this for?

--
Pierre Neidhardt

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Right way: define, build and install
@ 2018-05-02 17:34 Jone
From: Jone @ 2018-05-02 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

@ 2018-05-02 18:02     ` Oleg Pykhalov
From: Oleg Pykhalov @ 2018-05-02 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jone; +Cc: help-guix

Hello Jone,

It was hard to get started for me, too.  But after several package
recipes with a help of Guix community in the mailing list it's easy.

Jone <yeger9@gmail.com> writes:

> But I am ashamed! :)
>
> 1. xfce4-cpugraph-plugin.scm

[…]

First of all in ‘(use-modules …)’ you could only specify Guile modules.

After we fix parentheses, then there will an error about no existing
‘(guix build)’ Guile module.  So let's remove it.

Here is a correct version, but it requires to add more modules to
‘(use-modules …)’ because of ‘native-inputs’ and ‘inputs’ in:
(define-public xfce4-cpugraph-plugin
  (package
    (native-inputs …)
    (inputs …)))

[-- Attachment #1.2: Fixed xfce4-cpugraph-plugin (requires to search for Guile modules) --]
[-- Type: text/x-scheme, Size: 1207 bytes --]

(use-modules (ice-9 match)
             (srfi srfi-1)
             (guix gexp)
             (guix packages)
             (guix utils)
             (guix licenses)
             (guix download)
             (guix build-system gnu))

@ 2018-05-02 18:43   ` Jone
From: Jone @ 2018-05-02 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: help-guix

@ 2018-05-02 18:53   ` Jone
From: Jone @ 2018-05-02 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: help-guix

@ 2018-05-02 19:52       ` Jone
From: Jone @ 2018-05-02 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: help-guix

My config:

;;; POP3
(defvar email-pswd-tmp nil)
(defun rmail-start ()
  "Get mail through pop3 and view mail; default Gmail."
  (interactive)
  (let ((username "yeger9:")  ;; c ":" в конце!
		(inbox "~/.Mail/rmail-inbox")
		(mail-archive-file-name "~/.Mail/rmail-sent"))
  (if (equal email-pswd-tmp nil)
	  (setq email-pswd-tmp (read-passwd "Enter email password: ")))
  (message "Получение входящей почты...")
  (shell-command (concat "movemail --emacs pops://" username email-pswd-tmp
						 "@pop.gmail.com" " " inbox))
  (rmail)
  (rmail-summary-last-message)))
(add-hook 'rmail-quit-hook (lambda ()
			     (rkill-buffers "rmail.*")))
(add-hook 'mail-setup-hook 'mail-abbrevs-setup)

;;; SMTP
(require 'smtpmail)
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-stream-type 'starttls
      smtpmail-smtp-service 587)
(setq user-mail-address "Jone <MYEMAIL@gmail.com>")

i.e. mailutils with "pops" (gmail) it seems.
I use google-translate so I answer slowly. There are only wild
ubuntooids :) As win users.

* Re: Right way: define, build and install
@ 2018-05-03  7:03       ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-05-03  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: help-guix

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> writes:

> What you need to do is to find where this package comes from:
>
>> guix package --show=libxfce4util
>
> will tell you (among other things):
>
>> location: gnu/packages/xfce.scm:81:2

Another way to find this sort of thing is to do a grep like the
following:

  grep -r 'define.*foo' ~/.config/guix/latest

I use that all the time to find service definitions, record type
definitions, syntax definitions, procedure definitions...all kinds of
definitions!

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Right way: define, build and install
@ 2018-05-03 22:33       ` Jone
From: Jone @ 2018-05-03 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Pykhalov; +Cc: help-guix

Привет, Олег. Мне наверно было бы проще писать на русском, не мучая
системы перевода и остальных участников рассылки. Дело в том, что я
нахожу время на систему только урывками. В стиле работает и черт с
этим. А все эти инсрументы, которые мне нужны.. короче, их
много. Поэтому я и обратился к теме сборки пакетов.

* Re: Right way: define, build and install
@ 2018-05-04 17:46         ` Oleg Pykhalov
From: Oleg Pykhalov @ 2018-05-04 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jone; +Cc: help-guix