all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#54941: No such file or directory when running a binary
@ 2022-04-14 15:34 Haider Mirza
From: Haider Mirza @ 2022-04-14 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 54941

I am trying to run a binary and it returns
"bash: ./silent-syphon: No such file or directory"

This issue does not seem to happen on other distros (tested on
Archlinux) and has been reproduced on several GNU Guix
installations.
This error has occured before and every both times the binary was
originally found in a zip file.
I unzip the file with "unzip foo". Using the unzip program.

Easiest way to reproduce this by unzipping the binary in this
Github repo:
https://github.com/FluxHarmonic/ld50-silent-syphon/releases/tag/dev

The internet suggests that this might be because I am running a
32-bit program on a 64-bit system.
LDD shows the binary to be fine and error continued to happen even
after installing all dependancies/libraries.
I am on the Guix Operating system with everything being
up-to-date.

Can you suggest any sort of fix?

Haider Mirza via Emacs on a GNU/Linux system

* bug#54941: No such file or directory when running a binary
@ 2022-04-16 13:25 ` Maxime Devos
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Maxime Devos @ 2022-04-16 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Haider Mirza, 54941

Haider Mirza schreef op do 14-04-2022 om 16:34 [+0100]:
> I am trying to run a binary and it returns "bash: ./silent-syphon: No
> such file or directory"
> This issue does not seem to happen on other distros (tested on
> Archlinux) and has been reproduced on several GNU Guix installations.
> This error has occured before and every both times the binary was
> originally found in a zip file. I unzip the file with "unzip foo".
> Using the unzip program.

It probably uses /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 or the like which does not
exist on Guix.  What is the interpreter according to "readelf -l
silent-python"? (look for ‘Requesting program interpreter: ’ in the
output).  What does 'stat THE-INTERPRETER’ say?

> LDD shows the binary to be fine and error continued to happen even
> after installing all dependancies/libraries.

'ldd' is not perfect.  As an additional test, could be to do "strace
./silent-python", maybe it tells you which file could not be found.

Greetings,
Maxime

* bug#54941: No such file or directory when running a binary
@ 2022-04-16 13:32 ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2022-04-16 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Haider Mirza, 54941

Haider Mirza schreef op do 14-04-2022 om 16:34 [+0100]:
> Easiest way to reproduce this by unzipping the binary in this Github
> repo:
> https://github.com/FluxHarmonic/ld50-silent-syphon/releases/tag/dev

I'm not running random binaries.  Anyway, AFAICT, this is not (yet?)
free software, so I'm considering to close this?

Greetings,
Maxime.

* bug#54941: No such file or directory when running a binary
@ 2022-04-16 13:58 ` Haider Mirza
From: Haider Mirza @ 2022-04-16 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos, 54941

You're right about the fact that the binary is requesting
"/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2"
Is it possible to force the binary to use another interpreter?
If not you can close this down.

Greetings,
Haider.

* bug#54941: No such file or directory when running a binary
@ 2022-04-16 14:16   ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2022-04-16 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Haider Mirza, 54941-done

Haider Mirza schreef op za 16-04-2022 om 14:58 [+0100]:
> You're right about the fact that the binary is requesting "/lib64/ld-
> linux-x86-64.so.2" Is it possible to force the binary to use another
> interpreter? If not you can close this down.

Yes, here's how to do it on Debian:

$ ~/.guix-profile/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 /bin/ls
/bin/ls: error while loading shared libraries: libselinux.so.1: cannot
[failed!]

Though as can be seen above, not all combinations of interpreters and
binaries actually function ...

Greetings,
Maxime.

* bug#54941: No such file or directory when running a binary
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-04-16 14:22 ` Haider Mirza
From: Haider Mirza @ 2022-04-16 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos, 54941

Nevermind, I found the command "patchelf --set-interpreter
/gnu/store/5h2w4qi9hk1qzzgi1w83220ydslinr4s-glibc-2.33/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
clangd" to work just fine

Thank you for your help!

Best of luck,
Haider.

* bug#54941: No such file or directory when running a binary
@ 2022-04-16 23:32   ` Bengt Richter
From: Bengt Richter @ 2022-04-16 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos; +Cc: Haider Mirza, 54941

Hi Maxime & Haider,

(This is not to accuse you Haider, who I don't know, of probing Maxime
-- but consider the seemingly casual example you are setting for noobs
in suggesting running an unknown (to others) binary).

On +2022-04-16 15:32:44 +0200, Maxime Devos wrote:
> Haider Mirza schreef op do 14-04-2022 om 16:34 [+0100]:
> > Easiest way to reproduce this by unzipping the binary in this Github
> > repo:
> > https://github.com/FluxHarmonic/ld50-silent-syphon/releases/tag/dev
>
> I'm not running random binaries.  Anyway, AFAICT, this is not (yet?)
> free software, so I'm considering to close this?
>
> Greetings,
> Maxime.

In [0]:
The con starts off as many that target individuals do
nowadays: With a text message. In this case it's not a
phishing attempt, it's an attempt to ascertain whether the
person receiving the message is susceptible to further
manipulation.

[0]  https://www.theregister.com/2022/04/15/the_latest_scam_pay_yourself/

So, Maxime, ["I'm not running random binaries."] you are apparently not
"susceptible to further manipulation." :)

Good for you, but what about warning less sophisticated guix noobs more actively?

--
Regards,
Bengt Richter

* bug#54941: No such file or directory when running a binary
@ 2022-04-20 19:46     ` Haider Mirza
From: Haider Mirza @ 2022-04-20 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bengt Richter, Maxime Devos; +Cc: 54941

> (This is not to accuse you Haider, who I don't know, of probing Maxime
> -- but consider the seemingly casual example you are setting for noobs
> in suggesting running an unknown (to others) binary).

Sorry about that, usually Github Repositories ask for some way to
reproduce a bug so they can try and debug it. I had expected him to
have ran the binary in a VM. But like you said it might not be apparent
to the less experienced.

> The con starts off as many that target individuals do
> nowadays: With a text message. In this case it's not a
> phishing attempt, it's an attempt to ascertain whether the
> person receiving the message is susceptible to further
> manipulation.

Looking back, that really did seem quite manipulative, worse with the
repository not even with a license. Thanks for spotting this out and
making me realize my mistake.

All the best,
Haider.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* bug#54941: No such file or directory when running a binary
@ 2022-04-23 14:47       ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2022-04-23 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Haider Mirza, Bengt Richter; +Cc: 54941