unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Guix website Czech translation
@ 2023-05-10 12:55 Kryštof Šourek via
From: Kryštof Šourek via @ 2023-05-10 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix@gnu.org

Hi,

I've been working on a Czech language translation for the Guix website in the past week and I've finished it.
I'm not sure how long it normally takes to get a translation online, but I have worked on this project as a part of voluntary work for a university subject. It would help me greatly if it came online as soon as possible. If it's not possible, no worries - I'll run it locally.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,
KS

* Re: Guix website Czech translation
@ 2023-05-10 19:09 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2023-05-10 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kryštof Šourek, help-guix@gnu.org

It's a manual process. I'll update it as soon as possible.

@ 2023-05-10 21:12   ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2023-05-10 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kryštof Šourek, help-guix@gnu.org

Le Wed, 10 May 2023 21:09:26 +0200,
Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> a écrit :

> It's a manual process. I'll update it as soon as possible.
>
> Le 10 mai 2023 14:55:30 GMT+02:00, "Kryštof Šourek via"
> <help-guix@gnu.org> a écrit :
> >Hi,
> >
> >I've been working on a Czech language translation for the Guix
> >website in the past week and I've finished it. I'm not sure how long
> >it normally takes to get a translation online, but I have worked on
> >this project as a part of voluntary work for a university subject.
> >It would help me greatly if it came online as soon as possible. If
> >it's not possible, no worries - I'll run it locally.
> >
> >Thank you for your time.
> >
> >Best regards,
> >KS

Hi Kryštof Šourek,

I just pushed your translation along with a new Lithuanian translation
and an update to existing translations!

You should be able to see it in less than an hour at
https://guix.gnu.org/cs/.  You should probably check that nothing looks
horribly wrong, that links are working as expected, etc.

Thanks for your hard work!

* Re: Guix website Czech translation
@ 2023-05-10 22:34     ` wolf
From: wolf @ 2023-05-10 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: Kryštof Šourek, help-guix@gnu.org

On 2023-05-10 23:12:25 +0200, Julien Lepiller wrote:
> Le Wed, 10 May 2023 21:09:26 +0200,
> Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> a écrit :
>
> > It's a manual process. I'll update it as soon as possible.
> >
> > Le 10 mai 2023 14:55:30 GMT+02:00, "Kryštof Šourek via"
> > <help-guix@gnu.org> a écrit :
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >I've been working on a Czech language translation for the Guix
> > >website in the past week and I've finished it. I'm not sure how long
> > >it normally takes to get a translation online, but I have worked on
> > >this project as a part of voluntary work for a university subject.
> > >It would help me greatly if it came online as soon as possible. If
> > >it's not possible, no worries - I'll run it locally.
> > >
> > >Thank you for your time.
> > >
> > >Best regards,
> > >KS
> >

> Hi Kryštof Šourek,
>
> I just pushed your translation along with a new Lithuanian translation
> and an update to existing translations!
>
> You should be able to see it in less than an hour at
> https://guix.gnu.org/cs/.  You should probably check that nothing looks
> horribly wrong, that links are working as expected, etc.
>
> Thanks for your hard work!

Out of curiosity, how are translations reviewed?  I looked around the
guix-patches mailing list but failed to find corresponding thread (maybe I just
cannot search well).  Since I'm Czech, I was curious and the homepage looks bit
of in few places, so I'm curious what the process is.

Thanks,
W.

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Guix website Czech translation
@ 2023-05-10 22:51       ` Kryštof Šourek via
From: Kryštof Šourek via @ 2023-05-10 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wolf, Julien Lepiller; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

Considering it's open source and basically volunteer work, there's probably no space for reviews. If by "bit of" you mean there are mistakes, it's probable there's going to be a few since I wasn't familiar with the weblate interface at first. I intend on fixing them but if you would like to help, go ahead.

Sent from Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/AAb9ysg>

________________________________

@ 2023-05-10 23:33         ` wolf
From: wolf @ 2023-05-10 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kryštof Šourek; +Cc: Julien Lepiller, help-guix@gnu.org

On 2023-05-10 22:51:56 +0000, Kryštof Šourek wrote:
> Considering it's open source and basically volunteer work, there's probably no space for reviews.

In open source, including volunteer work, there quite often is some review
process.  My guess is it did not happen in this instance, but quite often there
is some kind of review.

> If by "bit of" you mean there are mistakes, it's probable there's going to be a few since I wasn't familiar with the weblate interface at first.

Sure, there are some mistakes in formatting and such, but most of the things I
did notice are flat out translation mistakes, so I'm unsure how that relates to
you being not familiar to "weblate".

Random example, what the hell is supposed to be "Guile Schéma"?  If you would be
translating a book "Programming in Python", would you really go with
"Programovani v Krajte"?  Since when are names of programming languages
translated?  "Spravce transakcnich balicku" is another example, what is that
even supposed to mean?

Also, side note, I'm not sure I would call GNU Project a "company", is that from
some official source, or how did you come up with it?  Same for "company" Guix.

The whole thing just seems not that well made, can you get an adviser for your
school project to proof read it before sending the patch with an update?

> I intend on fixing them but if you would like to help, go ahead.

I'm happy to hear that, I will leave it up to you then, after all, it's your
school project. :)

@ 2023-05-11  5:32           ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2023-05-11  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wolf, Kryštof Šourek; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

In case you didn't see it, translation is performed on weblate, where anyone (such as yourself) can help with the translation: https://translate.fedoraproject.org/projects/guix/website/cs/

If you don't want to modify Kryštof's work, you can still post suggestions or comments on the translation.

There's no review process currently, but weblate allows this kind of workflow. I don't really like it though, since I've already come across bad translations (non-sensical!) in French that had been validated and became impossible for me to modify.

The only review that I make is that the translation doesn't break the build process. Which it did, but I found and fixed the issue :)

@ 2023-05-11 12:44       ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-05-11 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wolf, Julien Lepiller; +Cc: Kryštof Šourek, help-guix@gnu.org

Hi,

On jeu., 11 mai 2023 at 00:34, wolf <wolf@wolfsden.cz> wrote:

> Out of curiosity, how are translations reviewed?

Translations are reviewed by other translators.  If you find typo or
mistake, you are welcome to fix them.  Weblate [1] is the entry point.
And you can also discuss specific topic on the guix-devel mailing list.

Well, the manual [2] describes the process.

1: https://translate.fedoraproject.org/projects/guix/
2: https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Translating-Guix.html

Cheers,
simon