unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* cowsay could attract copyright and trademark enforcement action
@ 2021-07-12  2:56 Bone Baboon
From: Bone Baboon @ 2021-07-12  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

cowsay has many questionable files that could attract copyright and
trademark enforcement action.  For further details see the pull
requested linked below.

Guix packages cowsay.  /gnu/packages/games.scm says that the source code
repository used is <https://github.com/tnalpgge/rank-amateur-cowsay>.
In that repository's CONTRIBUTING.md it says "Issues and pull requests
on that repository will be ignored.".  I submitted a pull request
<https://github.com/tnalpgge/rank-amateur-cowsay/pull/4>.  I expect that
it will be ignored.

I have also found a fork of cowsay
<https://github.com/cowsay-org/cowsay> that claims to be maintained.
I have submitted a pull request to it as well.
<https://github.com/cowsay-org/cowsay/pull/16>

It would be good to have this issue addressed upstream.  I have just
submitted these pull requests.  I will provide an update if either pull
request is merged (modified or unmodified).  If neither repository makes
any changes to address these questionable files then it may make sense
for Guix to patch the cowsay package.