unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* cowsay could attract copyright and trademark enforcement action
@ 2021-07-12  2:56 Bone Baboon
From: Bone Baboon @ 2021-07-12  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

cowsay has many questionable files that could attract copyright and
trademark enforcement action.  For further details see the pull
requested linked below.

Guix packages cowsay.  /gnu/packages/games.scm says that the source code
repository used is <https://github.com/tnalpgge/rank-amateur-cowsay>.
In that repository's CONTRIBUTING.md it says "Issues and pull requests
on that repository will be ignored.".  I submitted a pull request
<https://github.com/tnalpgge/rank-amateur-cowsay/pull/4>.  I expect that
it will be ignored.

I have also found a fork of cowsay
<https://github.com/cowsay-org/cowsay> that claims to be maintained.
I have submitted a pull request to it as well.
<https://github.com/cowsay-org/cowsay/pull/16>

It would be good to have this issue addressed upstream.  I have just
submitted these pull requests.  I will provide an update if either pull
request is merged (modified or unmodified).  If neither repository makes
any changes to address these questionable files then it may make sense
for Guix to patch the cowsay package.

* Re: cowsay could attract copyright and trademark enforcement action
@ 2021-07-14 13:57 ` Bone Baboon
From: Bone Baboon @ 2021-07-14 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Bone Baboon writes:

> cowsay has many questionable files that could attract copyright and
> trademark enforcement action.  For further details see the pull
> requested linked below.
>
> Guix packages cowsay.  /gnu/packages/games.scm says that the source code
> repository used is <https://github.com/tnalpgge/rank-amateur-cowsay>.
> In that repository's CONTRIBUTING.md it says "Issues and pull requests
> on that repository will be ignored.".  I submitted a pull request
> <https://github.com/tnalpgge/rank-amateur-cowsay/pull/4>.  I expect that
> it will be ignored.
>
> I have also found a fork of cowsay
> <https://github.com/cowsay-org/cowsay> that claims to be maintained.
> I have submitted a pull request to it as well.
> <https://github.com/cowsay-org/cowsay/pull/16>
>
> It would be good to have this issue addressed upstream.  I have just
> submitted these pull requests.  I will provide an update if either pull
> request is merged (modified or unmodified).  If neither repository makes
> any changes to address these questionable files then it may make sense
> for Guix to patch the cowsay package.

In this response to the pull request I submitted about the
questionable files in the cowsay repository
<https://github.com/tnalpgge/rank-amateur-cowsay/pull/4#issuecomment-878092487>
apjanke is requesting feedback.

> If there are any actual IP lawyers, relevant IP owners, or
> distributions who redistribute cowsay who would like to weigh in on
> this, I'd definitely like to hear what you have to say.

For those who want to respond to apjanke but do not have or do not
want to use a GitHub account I can link this email thread in the
discussion about the pull request.

* Re: cowsay could attract copyright and trademark enforcement action
@ 2021-07-15 11:06   ` Leo Prikler
From: Leo Prikler @ 2021-07-15 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bone Baboon, guix-devel

Am Mittwoch, den 14.07.2021, 09:57 -0400 schrieb Bone Baboon:
> [...]
>
> In this response to the pull request I submitted about the
> questionable files in the cowsay repository
> <
> https://github.com/tnalpgge/rank-amateur-cowsay/pull/4#issuecomment-878092487
> >
> apjanke is requesting feedback.
>
> > If there are any actual IP lawyers, relevant IP owners, or
> > distributions who redistribute cowsay who would like to weigh in on
> > this, I'd definitely like to hear what you have to say.
>
> For those who want to respond to apjanke but do not have or do not
> want to use a GitHub account I can link this email thread in the
> discussion about the pull request.
I am not an IP lawyer, nor do I own any of said characters, but I'd
like to point out that not all jurisdictions follow the US model.  In
Germany for example, you can (in the near future/already?) not use more
than 160 characters of copyrighted material -- granted, the cowfiles
are shorter than that, but copyright law is troubling over here in
Europe nonetheless.

Furthermore:
> Given that this is a noncommercial work [...] [a]nd they're [the
> characters] not being sold
I don't think applies to free as in the case of freedom distributions
like Trisquel or Guix.  A non-commercial clause would be a violation of
the GPL, the very license cowsay is distributed under.  As the author
of cowsay, apjanke could very well ship such characters with it (unless
they themselves also happen to use GPL'd software as dependency in
which they'd be violating that GPL), but unless they can pass on the
freedom to distribute those cows *under the terms of the GPL*, no one
else can either, which would make distributing cowsay with those
characters illegal
1. under trademark law
2. under the terms of the GPL

Clearly, copyright law in 2021 is not broken at all :^)

Regards,
Leo

* Re: cowsay could attract copyright and trademark enforcement action
@ 2021-07-15 16:42 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-07-15 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bone Baboon; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sun, Jul 11, 2021 at 10:56:33PM -0400, Bone Baboon wrote:
> cowsay has many questionable files that could attract copyright and
> trademark enforcement action.

I doubt it. Many of these files have been in the cowsay source code
since 1999 (apparently), and at least since 2004, according to
archive.org:

https://web.archive.org/web/20040404080800/http://www.nog.net/~tony/warez/cowsay.shtml

* Re: cowsay could attract copyright and trademark enforcement action
@ 2021-07-16 12:39   ` Bone Baboon
From: Bone Baboon @ 2021-07-16 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Leo Famulari writes:

> On Sun, Jul 11, 2021 at 10:56:33PM -0400, Bone Baboon wrote:
>> cowsay has many questionable files that could attract copyright and
>> trademark enforcement action.
>
> I doubt it. Many of these files have been in the cowsay source code
> since 1999 (apparently), and at least since 2004, according to
> archive.org:
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/20040404080800/http://www.nog.net/~tony/warez/cowsay.shtml

Thanks for sharing that.

I would like to point out that the situation is not static as the
ownership of trademark and copyright can change over time and the new
owners may choose to behave differently.

A directly relevant example is the Star Wars cowsay
files. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars> says that Lucasfilm
Ltd. the owners of the Star Wars franchise was acquired by Disney.

* Re: cowsay could attract copyright and trademark enforcement action
@ 2021-07-16 14:24     ` fuzzyTew
From: fuzzyTew @ 2021-07-16 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bone Baboon; +Cc: guix-devel

Pretty sure copyright owners lose the right to enforce if they let the
infringement go for too long, ianal.

* Re: cowsay could attract copyright and trademark enforcement action
@ 2021-07-16 20:23 ` Bone Baboon
From: Bone Baboon @ 2021-07-16 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bone Baboon; +Cc: guix-devel

Bone Baboon writes:

> cowsay has many questionable files that could attract copyright and
> trademark enforcement action.  For further details see the pull
> requested linked below.
>
> Guix packages cowsay.  /gnu/packages/games.scm says that the source code
> repository used is <https://github.com/tnalpgge/rank-amateur-cowsay>.
> In that repository's CONTRIBUTING.md it says "Issues and pull requests
> on that repository will be ignored.".  I submitted a pull request
> <https://github.com/tnalpgge/rank-amateur-cowsay/pull/4>.  I expect that
> it will be ignored.
>
> I have also found a fork of cowsay
> <https://github.com/cowsay-org/cowsay> that claims to be maintained.
> I have submitted a pull request to it as well.
> <https://github.com/cowsay-org/cowsay/pull/16>
>
> It would be good to have this issue addressed upstream.  I have just
> submitted these pull requests.  I will provide an update if either pull
> request is merged (modified or unmodified).  If neither repository makes
> any changes to address these questionable files then it may make sense
> for Guix to patch the cowsay package.

The pull request I opened that removed the questionable files on the
cowsay repository Guix uses was closed without being merged.
<https://github.com/tnalpgge/rank-amateur-cowsay/pull/4>

This pull request on a cowsay fork is still open.

@ 2021-07-16 22:26     ` Leo Prikler
From: Leo Prikler @ 2021-07-16 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bone Baboon, guix-devel

Am Donnerstag, den 15.07.2021, 13:06 +0200 schrieb Leo Prikler:
> Am Mittwoch, den 14.07.2021, 09:57 -0400 schrieb Bone Baboon:
> > [...]
> >
> > In this response to the pull request I submitted about the
> > questionable files in the cowsay repository
> > <
> > https://github.com/tnalpgge/rank-amateur-cowsay/pull/4#issuecomment-878092487
> > apjanke is requesting feedback.
> >
> > > If there are any actual IP lawyers, relevant IP owners, or
> > > distributions who redistribute cowsay who would like to weigh in
> > > on
> > > this, I'd definitely like to hear what you have to say.
> >
> > For those who want to respond to apjanke but do not have or do not
> > want to use a GitHub account I can link this email thread in the
> > discussion about the pull request.
> I am not an IP lawyer, nor do I own any of said characters, but I'd
> like to point out that not all jurisdictions follow the US model.  In
> Germany for example, you can (in the near future/already?) not use
> more than 160 characters of copyrighted material -- granted, the
> cowfiles are shorter than that, but copyright law is troubling over
> here in Europe nonetheless.
To expand on this, the 160 characters thing is a compromise, as
according to §51a of the UrhG the use of copyrighted material for the
purposes of caricature or parody is legal in Germany [1].  Vader koalas
would probably fall under this paragraph.

Now one could hypothesize that this applies to other parts of the EU as
well, but I wouldn't be too sure about that.  The Austrian UrhG at
least to my untrained eyes and substring search appears to be lacking
such a right to parody our great mouse overlord.

As others point out, it is debatable whether or not such a trademark
can be enforced, but what we should be discussing -- and I'd be more
than happy to be wrong on this -- is whether or not the cowfiles can be
distributed under GPL-compatible terms/in accordance with the FSDG.

Regards,
Leo

[1] https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/urhg/__51a.html

From: Leo Prikler @ 2021-07-16 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bone Baboon, guix-devel

@ 2021-07-17  1:42       ` Cees de Groot
From: Cees de Groot @ 2021-07-17  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Prikler, Bone Baboon, guix-devel

Can I be a little bit annoying here? I dabbled a lot in IP law, and the only thing I really learned is that what lay people like us think is probably not what lawyers have to say. I think it’s perfectly fine to just do nothing therefore. If an actual lawyer gets set on this package, it is early enough to take measures like removing the package.

Sent from ProtonMail for iOS

@ 2021-07-17  5:46       ` Philip McGrath
From: Philip McGrath @ 2021-07-17  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Prikler, Bone Baboon, guix-devel

On 7/16/21 6:26 PM, Leo Prikler wrote:> As others point out, it is
debatable whether or not such a trademark
> can be enforced, but what we should be discussing -- and I'd be more
> than happy to be wrong on this -- is whether or not the cowfiles can be
> distributed under GPL-compatible terms/in accordance with the FSDG.
These files seem to me to be non-functional data, analogous to game
graphics, which the FSDG do not require to have free/libre licenses.
Just as firmware is still code, even if it is represented as an array of
numbers, I think ASCII art templates are data, even if they are embedded
in Perl fragments.

(In the Lisp tradition, I think the distinction between code and data is
a fuzzy one, but this case seems fairly clear to me.)

On the broader issues, I also am not a lawyer, but I would expect all of
these files to be protected by the rights of fair use, fair dealing, and
other limitations or exceptions to copyright. Limitations and exceptions
seem to trademark law also seem to apply.

Fair use and analogous rights are vitally important protections of
freedom, including software freedom. For example, in the recent case of
Google v. Oracle, fair use was the legal right which protected the
freedom of the Java APIs. (The decision also left open the possibility
that APIs may not be copyrightable at all.)

Apparently these files are over 20 years old and have been widely
distributed without objections. If Guix were to remove these files, we
would implicitly be disagreeing with the apparent community consensus
and saying that users do not have the freedom to create, use, or share
such cowfiles. That's not a position I think Guix ought to take,
especially not against the apparent consensus of the broader free
software community.

-Philip

* Re: cowsay could attract copyright and trademark enforcement action
@ 2021-07-17  6:39         ` Leo Prikler
From: Leo Prikler @ 2021-07-17  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip McGrath, Bone Baboon, guix-devel

Fair points and well argued.