unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* [support-renew@gandi.net: [GANDI] guixsd.org expires in 60 days]
@ 2020-12-02 20:47 Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2020-12-02 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello all,

just for your information, our domain name guixsd.org will expire soon
(how many out there still remember that we own it?). We decided last year
to renew it for just one more year and to let it run out.

So if we still have anything pointing there, it would be good to change
it now.

Andreas

----- Forwarded message from Gandi <support-renew@gandi.net> -----
Hello,

This email concerns the renewal of the domain name guixsd.org at Gandi, for which you are a contact via the username or organization "guix_europe".

The entire world is currently going through a very turbulent period right now, and in light of this global public health crisis, we are aware that priorities are being reconsidered.

Nevertheless, it is important that we inform you that the domain name guixsd.org will expire at the Registry in 60 days, on 27 Jan 2021 21:39 UTC.

If you would like to keep this domain, you must renew it before this date. The domain will be renewable at the normal price until 13 Mar 2021 11:39 UTC

IMPORTANT: if you miss the renewal deadline, your domain name will be deleted from our system on 13 Mar 2021 11:39 UTC. Its status will then change to "restorable" until 12 Apr 2021 21:39 UTC. Note, however, that the price of a restoration may be considerably higher than for a regular renewal.
----- End forwarded message -----

* Re: [support-renew@gandi.net: [GANDI] guixsd.org expires in 60 days]
@ 2020-12-05 15:50 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-12-05 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi!

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:

> just for your information, our domain name guixsd.org will expire soon
> (how many out there still remember that we own it?). We decided last year
> to renew it for just one more year and to let it run out.
>
> So if we still have anything pointing there, it would be good to change
> it now.

Interestingly, we received bug reports for 1.2.0 where people referred
to the system as “GuixSD”.  The name is still often used in fora.

So I guess the main argument in favor of keeping it would be to avoid
squatting and phishing.

No strong opinion from me though.

Ludo’.

* Re: [support-renew@gandi.net: [GANDI] guixsd.org expires in 60 days]
@ 2020-12-05 16:25   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2020-12-05 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Andreas Enge, guix-devel

Guix,

I believe that consistently redirecting[0] these old names to
guix.gnu.org makes them much less harmful to keep around, and
better than giving up control completely.

If cost is a pain point, note that Gandi's current annual renewal
price of €19 isn't the lowest around.

Ludovic Courtès 写道:
> Interestingly, we received bug reports for 1.2.0 where people
> referred
> to the system as “GuixSD”.  The name is still often used in
> fora.

It's quite common on #guix as well.  I wish we could configure
sneek to react to certain keywords.  No one enjoys playing the
broken record, and people tolerate more pedantry from bots than
from humans.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/commit/?id=c85e128e11d3ba060ae3a6e01da20f531b42d6ef

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [support-renew@gandi.net: [GANDI] guixsd.org expires in 60 days]
@ 2020-12-05 18:13     ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2020-12-05 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

On Sat, Dec 05, 2020 at 05:25:58PM +0100, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote:
> If cost is a pain point, note that Gandi's current annual renewal price of
> €19 isn't the lowest around.

cost is not the problem; but I like tidying up and getting rid of cruft,
and I feel that this old domain is some hassle for not much gain: I need to
- pay by credit card;
- make a wire transfer from the Guix Europe account to my own account;
- add an entry to the Guix Europe ledger and check everything is okay.

I was against renewing it already two years ago, but the Solidary
Administrative Council of Guix Europe decided by consensus last year
to keep it for one more year, and to let it run out later.

If you prefer to keep the domain, you should bring it for a discussion
and a new vote of the SAC. I am still against renewing it, but if people
think we should do it, I can live with a renewal as well.

Andreas

* Re: [support-renew@gandi.net: [GANDI] guixsd.org expires in 60 days]
@ 2020-12-05 20:12     ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-12-05 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Tobias,

On Sat, 05 Dec 2020 at 17:25, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> wrote:

> I believe that consistently redirecting[0] these old names to
> guix.gnu.org makes them much less harmful to keep around, and
> better than giving up control completely.

Which versions of Guix uses only the old URLs?  Are they reachable with
inferiors?  Are the substitutes still available on Berlin and friends
for these old Guix versions?

Otherwise, I do not see the rationale.  If the Guix code current and
reachable by “guix time-machine” provides the right URL (say ci.guix.gnu.org
instead of berlin.guixsd.org), then I do not see why it matters to keep
the control of berlin.guixsd.org; because nothing will break if the old
URLs are removed.  Do I miss an obvious point?

Note that www.guixsd.org does not redirect.

All the best,
simon

* Re: [support-renew@gandi.net: [GANDI] guixsd.org expires in 60 days]
@ 2020-12-05 21:41       ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2020-12-05 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Ludovic Courtès, Andreas Enge, guix-devel

zimoun 写道:
> Hi Tobias,

Hi!

Guix uses ci.guix.gnu.org by default since May 2019.  No one
should be running a daemon older than that.

I think you misunderstood my (and Ludo's) point, which was to
prevent possible abuse of a name still in common use.  For
whatever reason, outside of our little echo chamber people say
GuixSD, not Guix System.  Squatting guixsd.org will attract plenty
of traffic to whatever message the squatter wishes to spread.  I
don't have a strong opinion either but don't think the cost
savings cover that risk.

If Andreas is tired of dealing with renewals (which I'd
understand) I'm sure we can find a solution.

> Note that www.guixsd.org does not redirect.

You're right :-(

guixsd.org isn't managed by GNU, and I don't have access to the
Gandi hosted DNS interface.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [support-renew@gandi.net: [GANDI] guixsd.org expires in 60 days]
@ 2020-12-06 17:10         ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-12-06 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

On Sat, 05 Dec 2020 at 22:41, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> wrote:

> I think you misunderstood my (and Ludo's) point, which was to
> prevent possible abuse of a name still in common use.  For
> whatever reason, outside of our little echo chamber people say
> GuixSD, not Guix System.  Squatting guixsd.org will attract plenty
> of traffic to whatever message the squatter wishes to spread.  I
> don't have a strong opinion either but don't think the cost
> savings cover that risk.

Thanks for the clarification.  I have no opinion because I am unable to
evaluate the risk.

All the best,
simon

* Re: [support-renew@gandi.net: [GANDI] guixsd.org expires in 60 days]
@ 2020-12-06 18:04         ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2020-12-06 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sat, Dec 05, 2020 at 10:41:50PM +0100, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote:
> I think you misunderstood my (and Ludo's) point, which was to prevent
> possible abuse of a name still in common use.  For whatever reason, outside
> of our little echo chamber people say GuixSD, not Guix System.  Squatting
> guixsd.org will attract plenty of traffic to whatever message the squatter
> wishes to spread.  I don't have a strong opinion either but don't think the
> cost savings cover that risk.

Right. When I saw the plan to release the domain, I started planning to
purchase it myself. For better or for worse, people are still saying
"GuixSD".

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [support-renew@gandi.net: [GANDI] guixsd.org expires in 60 days]
@ 2020-12-08 10:42       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-12-08 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:

> cost is not the problem; but I like tidying up and getting rid of cruft,
> and I feel that this old domain is some hassle for not much gain: I need to
> - pay by credit card;
> - make a wire transfer from the Guix Europe account to my own account;
> - add an entry to the Guix Europe ledger and check everything is okay.
>
> I was against renewing it already two years ago, but the Solidary
> Administrative Council of Guix Europe decided by consensus last year
> to keep it for one more year, and to let it run out later.
>
> If you prefer to keep the domain, you should bring it for a discussion
> and a new vote of the SAC. I am still against renewing it, but if people
> think we should do it, I can live with a renewal as well.

Understood.

Maybe we can transfer ownership or at least responsibility for the
actual renewal to someone else?  WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.