unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Proposal for Outreachy (May-August 2020)
@ 2020-01-07 11:31 Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2020-01-07 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix Folks! I would like to contribute to Guix via Outreachy program. Based on domains listed in http://guix.gnu.org/contribute (http://guix.gnu.org/contribute/), I would like to work on "Packages". After brief discussion with Tobias (nckx) on IRC, I came up with following ideas. 1) Improve GNOME Software Stack and GNOME Desktop Environment's user-experience in Guix. (a) Revise Package(s): Add missing packages, remove deprecated packages and fix erroneous packages. (b) Revise Meta-Package(s): Clean-up gnome and create gnome-minimal. (c) Revise Package Module(s): Rebase gnome.scm and gnome-xyz-.scm into gnome-core.scm, gnome-deps.scm, gnome-sdk.scm and gnome-extras.scm. (d) Revise Service(s): Add missing services, remove deprecated services and fix erroneous services. (e) Revise Service Module(s): Rebase gnome-dektop-service-type and %desktop-services into gnome-desktop-service-type and gnome-minimal-desktop-service-type. 2) Improve Xfce Software Stack and Xfce Desktop Environment's user-experience in Guix. (a) Revise Package(s): Add missing packages, remove deprecated packages and fix erroneous packages. (b) Revise Meta-Package(s): Clean-up xfce and create xfce-minimal. (c) Revise Package Module(s): Rebase xfce.scm into xfce-core.scm, xfce-apps.scm, xfce-plugins.scm and xfce-bindings.scm. (d) Revise Service(s): Add missing services, remove deprecated services and fix erroneous services. (e) Revise Service Module(s): Rebase xfce-dektop-service-type and %desktop-services into xfce-desktop-service-type and xfce-minimal-desktop-service-type. We can discuss more in detail on IRC to see the gravity of these ideas and then it can be decided whether to go with (1) or (2) or both. Please let me know about your thoughts on this. Thank you! Regards, Raghav Gururajan.