* Another iteration on the Emacs website
@ 2015-12-11 10:34 Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2015-12-11 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi guys,

I made another iteration on the Emacs website, which you can see here:
http://nicolas-petton.fr/ressources/emacs-website/

The most visible changes are:

- a completely new and lighter color palette, with less contrasts
- improved "Features" section
- better support for eww

For comparison, the previous iteration can see be browsed here:
http://nicolas-petton.fr/ressources/emacs-website-dark/

Cheers,
Nico

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
@ 2015-12-11 11:03 ` Shakthi Kannan
                   ` (10 subsequent siblings)
From: Shakthi Kannan @ 2015-12-11 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: emacs-devel

Nicolas,

--- On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 4:04 PM, Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr> wrote:
| - a completely new and lighter color palette,
\--

I like the light background. Also, on Chromium version 41.0.2272.76
Ubuntu 14.10 (64-bit), the footer text is misaligned. See:

  http://shakthimaan.com/dump/license-misaligned.png

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan
http://www.shakthimaan.com

* Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
@ 2015-12-11 11:06 ` Eli Zaretskii
                   ` (9 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-12-11 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr>
> Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 11:34:35 +0100
>
> I made another iteration on the Emacs website, which you can see here:
> http://nicolas-petton.fr/ressources/emacs-website/

Thanks.  I suggest to modify slightly your "magnifying glass" on the
HELLO buffer such that it also shows the Arabic text, at least in
part, and also mention full support for bidirectional text editing and
display in the blurb near that.  These are non-trivial features that
quite a few other editors either don't support or support only
partially and inconsistently.

* Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
@ 2015-12-11 12:26 ` John Yates
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: John Yates @ 2015-12-11 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Nick,

As someone who may have come off in earlier threads
as solely critical of the site I just want to say that
this iteration is clearly a step forward.  Thanks for
your perseverance.  Keep up the good work.

/john

@ 2015-12-11 12:41   ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2015-12-11 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shakthi Kannan; +Cc: emacs-devel

Shakthi Kannan <shakthimaan@gmail.com> writes:

> I like the light background. Also, on Chromium version 41.0.2272.76
> Ubuntu 14.10 (64-bit), the footer text is misaligned. See:

I cannot reproduce it on Chrome 43.0.2357.81 on Fedora.  What if you
change the width of the window?

@ 2015-12-11 12:42   ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2015-12-11 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Thanks.  I suggest to modify slightly your "magnifying glass" on the
> HELLO buffer such that it also shows the Arabic text, at least in
> part, and also mention full support for bidirectional text editing and
> display in the blurb near that.  These are non-trivial features that
> quite a few other editors either don't support or support only
> partially and inconsistently.

Sure, I'll update it.

@ 2015-12-11 13:51   ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2015-12-11 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 12/11/2015 02:26 PM, John Yates wrote:

> As someone who may have come off in earlier threads
> as solely critical of the site I just want to say that
> this iteration is clearly a step forward.

I like it better as well. Thanks, Nicolas!

* Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-12-11 15:10 ` Rasmus
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Rasmus @ 2015-12-11 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr> writes:

> - a completely new and lighter color palette, with less contrasts

This is much nicer!

> - improved "Features" section

I think the new bubbles are better than the old generic icons, but it’s
still a bit noisy(? lacking better words)....  Perhaps an edge or shadow
would help?

Thanks a lot again.
Rasmus

--
Dobbelt-A

* Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
@ 2015-12-11 17:03     ` Shakthi Kannan
From: Shakthi Kannan @ 2015-12-11 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: emacs-devel

Nicolas,

--- On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 6:11 PM, Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr> wrote:
| I cannot reproduce it on Chrome 43.0.2357.81 on Fedora.  What if you
| change the width of the window?
\--

It is fine when I re-size the width of the window. I shall upgrade to
a more recent Chromium version.

If I can make a request, I would like to see UI enhancements to the
EmacsWiki site as well.

  http://www.emacswiki.org/

Thanks for your efforts!

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan
http://www.shakthimaan.com

* Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-12-11 17:11 ` Nikolaus Rath
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Nikolaus Rath @ 2015-12-11 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Dec 11 2015, Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I made another iteration on the Emacs website, which you can see here:
> http://nicolas-petton.fr/ressources/emacs-website/

Nice!

I think "The features of GNU Emacs include" is a bit wordy
though. Maybe you could just say "Features" instead?

Also, to me the "bullet points" with the emacs screenshots inside look a
little odd. With the exception of the first two on the left they contain
a lot of "stuff" but don't convey any useful information. For example,
if you just looked at the "highly customizable" screenshot without
reading the text, would you really connect it to "highly customizable"
(as opposed to e.g. "it includes something called Org-Agenda", or "it
supports bold text and colors", or "what the hell does non-nil mean?")?

Best,
-Nikolaus

* Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
@ 2015-12-11 17:24   ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2015-12-11 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolaus Rath, emacs-devel

Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org> writes:

> On Dec 11 2015, Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I made another iteration on the Emacs website, which you can see here:
>> http://nicolas-petton.fr/ressources/emacs-website/
>
> Nice!
>
> I think "The features of GNU Emacs include" is a bit wordy
> though. Maybe you could just say "Features" instead?

I haven't worked on the content yet, but I'll do that in a second step.

> Also, to me the "bullet points" with the emacs screenshots inside look a
> little odd. With the exception of the first two on the left they contain
> a lot of "stuff" but don't convey any useful information. For example,
> if you just looked at the "highly customizable" screenshot without
> reading the text, would you really connect it to "highly customizable"
> (as opposed to e.g. "it includes something called Org-Agenda", or "it
> supports bold text and colors", or "what the hell does non-nil
> mean?")?

I know, some are not very explicit.  I'll try to take more meaningful
screenshots.

Nico

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-12-12  0:15 ` Gregor Zattler
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Gregor Zattler @ 2015-12-12  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi Nicolas, Emacs developers,
* Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr> [11. Dec. 2015]:
> I made another iteration on the Emacs website, which you can see here:
> http://nicolas-petton.fr/ressources/emacs-website/
>
> The most visible changes are:

[...]

I understand that Nicolas work is mostly concerned with the
design of the official Emacs website and the text is mostly
copied from the current official website.

While the current official website features the string "free"
eight times because it's tightly linked to the FSF ("JOIN THE
FSF", "Free Software Supporter", "Sponsored by the Free Software
Foundation" appear on the top of the page), the new design
features the string "free" four times and the only meaningful
occurrence (the FSF mission statement) is in the bottom quarter
of the page (as is on the current official website).

That said, I'm astonished that the official Emacs website does
not state proudly and prominently[1] that Emacs is one of the
oldest free software projects still in development.[2]

Ciao, Gregor

[1] or is it "proud and prominent"? sorry my English isn' that
    good.

[2] The only other projects of similar age which come to
    (my) mind are the X Window System and the TeX familiy of
    programs.

* Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-12-12  0:25 ` Xue Fuqiao
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2015-12-12  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 6:34 PM, Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr> wrote:
> Hi guys,

Hi Nicolas,

> I made another iteration on the Emacs website, which you can see here:
> http://nicolas-petton.fr/ressources/emacs-website/

Cool!  I also think that it looks better than the previous iteration.

* Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
@ 2015-12-12  0:35       ` Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2015-12-12  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shakthi Kannan; +Cc: Nicolas Petton, emacs-devel

On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 1:03 AM, Shakthi Kannan <shakthimaan@gmail.com> wrote:

> If I can make a request, I would like to see UI enhancements to the
> EmacsWiki site as well.
>
>   http://www.emacswiki.org/

You can give suggestions to Alex Schroeder[1], or you can suggest on
EmacsWiki itself[2].  Personally, I like WikEmacs[3] better, although
it's written in PHP ;-)

[1] https://alexschroeder.ch/wiki/Contact, or "kensanata" on IRC
[2] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsWikiSuggestions#Suggestions
[3] http://www.wikemacs.org/wiki/Main_Page

* Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
@ 2015-12-12  0:51   ` Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2015-12-12  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 8:15 AM, Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> wrote:

> [2] The only other projects of similar age which come to
>     (my) mind are the X Window System and the TeX familiy of
>     programs.

Maybe you forgot some GNU projects, like Hurd, glibc, Bash, GCC, GDB,
Octave, and Texinfo.

* Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
@ 2015-12-12  1:14     ` Random832
From: Random832 @ 2015-12-12  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 8:15 AM, Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> [2] The only other projects of similar age which come to
>>     (my) mind are the X Window System and the TeX familiy of
>>     programs.
>
> Maybe you forgot some GNU projects, like Hurd, glibc, Bash, GCC, GDB,
> Octave, and Texinfo.

Depends on what you mean by similar age.

1978 TeX
1983 AMS-TeX
1984 X
1984 Emacs
1985 LaTeX
1986 GDB
1987 GCC
1988 glibc
1989 Bash
1990 Hurd
1992 Octave ("conceived" 1988)

* Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
@ 2015-12-12  5:03   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2015-12-12  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregor Zattler; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > the new design
  > features the string "free" four times and the only meaningful
  > occurrence (the FSF mission statement) is in the bottom quarter
  > of the page (as is on the current official website).

Thanks for noticing this -- it is an important point.  The Emacs web
site should support free software and the GNU Project very clearly.
It should have items about joining the FSF and subscribing to Free
Software Supporter, like the existing page.

It should also mention that I wrote Emacs to be the editor of the GNU
Operating System, with a link to http://gnu.org/gnu/the-gnu-project.html.

These points should appear near the top of the front page,
because they are high priority for us.

  > That said, I'm astonished that the official Emacs website does
  > not state proudly and prominently

That's correct English -- no errors.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
@ 2015-12-12  7:30       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-12-12  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Random832; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Random832 <random832@fastmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 20:14:18 -0500
>
> Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 8:15 AM, Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> wrote:
> >
> >> [2] The only other projects of similar age which come to
> >>     (my) mind are the X Window System and the TeX familiy of
> >>     programs.
> >
> > Maybe you forgot some GNU projects, like Hurd, glibc, Bash, GCC, GDB,
> > Octave, and Texinfo.
>
> Depends on what you mean by similar age.
>
> 1978 TeX
> 1983 AMS-TeX
> 1984 X
> 1984 Emacs
> 1985 LaTeX
> 1986 GDB
> 1987 GCC
> 1988 glibc
> 1989 Bash
> 1990 Hurd
> 1992 Octave ("conceived" 1988)

Emacs started the GNU project, so it's a small wonder it predates any
other GNU package.  Also, first versions of GCC and GDB were written
by Richard, which is another reason why they came after Emacs.

* Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
@ 2015-12-12  9:55         ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2015-12-12  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Random832, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Random832 <random832@fastmail.com>
>> Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 20:14:18 -0500
>>
>> Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com> writes:

>> > Maybe you forgot some GNU projects, like Hurd, glibc, Bash, GCC, GDB,
>> > Octave, and Texinfo.
>>
>> Depends on what you mean by similar age.
>>
>> 1978 TeX
>> 1983 AMS-TeX
>> 1984 X
>> 1984 Emacs
>> 1985 LaTeX
>> 1986 GDB
>> 1987 GCC
>> 1988 glibc
>> 1989 Bash
>> 1990 Hurd
>> 1992 Octave ("conceived" 1988)
>
> Emacs started the GNU project,

"Emacs" preceded the GNU project.  The Gosling Emacs rat-out prompted
Richard to write the GPL and sketch out the definition and needs for
GNU.  The Emacs code base was rewritten to be free of third-party
copyrights and then restarted as GNU Emacs.

> so it's a small wonder it predates any other GNU package.  Also, first
> versions of GCC and GDB were written by Richard, which is another
> reason why they came after Emacs.

The main reason is that they were written as components for the GNU
project whereas Emacs was written as a tool for editing.  The original
Emacs was free software but not copylefted, and that backfired.  Once
copyleft was created and there was a formal definition of free software,
there was an incentive for creating a whole cohesive system relying on
copyleft protection for seminal parts and assembled with outside
components also providing the four software freedoms even if not the
copyleft's mechanism protecting them.

--
David Kastrup

* Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-12-12 23:53 ` John Wiegley
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: John Wiegley @ 2015-12-12 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I made another iteration on the Emacs website, which you can see here:
> http://nicolas-petton.fr/ressources/emacs-website/

I really like this iteration of the page, Nicolas. It reads cleanly, and to
the point. I also like that the download buttons are so clearly visible.

@ 2015-12-13  6:50           ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2015-12-13  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Kastrup; +Cc: random832, eliz, emacs-devel

  > "Emacs" preceded the GNU project.  The Gosling Emacs rat-out prompted
  > Richard to write the GPL and sketch out the definition and needs for
  > GNU.  The Emacs code base was rewritten to be free of third-party
  > copyrights and then restarted as GNU Emacs.

I developed the original Emacs in 1976.  I started working in GNU in
January 1984.  I started working on GNU Emacs in September 1984,

Originally I thought I would use Gosmacs with some changes; a friend
said Gosling had given him the right to distribute his version of that
and he could let me redistribute it with changes.

It turned out that Gosmacs needed big
changes to replace its Mocklisp with real Lisp.

The original Emacs had terms that do not qualify as free.
They required people to send their changes to me.
By the time of GNU Emacs I had concluded that such a condition
was wrong, so I developed the idea of copyleft in early 1985.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
@ 2015-12-14  8:37   ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2015-12-14  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: emacs-devel

John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com> writes:

>> I made another iteration on the Emacs website, which you can see here:
>> http://nicolas-petton.fr/ressources/emacs-website/
>
> I really like this iteration of the page, Nicolas. It reads cleanly, and to
> the point. I also like that the download buttons are so clearly
> visible.

I'm glad you like it :-)

@ 2015-12-14  8:46     ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2015-12-14  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms, Gregor Zattler; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

Hi Richard,

>   > the new design
>   > features the string "free" four times and the only meaningful
>   > occurrence (the FSF mission statement) is in the bottom quarter
>   > of the page (as is on the current official website).
>
> Thanks for noticing this -- it is an important point.  The Emacs web
> site should support free software and the GNU Project very clearly.
>
> It should have items about joining the FSF and subscribing to Free
> Software Supporter, like the existing page.

I'm wondering why the new Guile website does not have this?
https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/

> It should also mention that I wrote Emacs to be the editor of the GNU
> Operating System, with a link to http://gnu.org/gnu/the-gnu-project.html.
>
> These points should appear near the top of the front page,
> because they are high priority for us.

I will add these elements to the current website, but adding that on the
top of the page would be make it too prominent, as it would take an
important size of the screen, and being a distraction from the focus on
Emacs, it would lessen the impact of the header of the page.

Nico

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-12-14 20:52 ` Christian Dietrich
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Christian Dietrich @ 2015-12-14 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton, emacs-devel

Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr> writes:

> Hi guys,
>
> I made another iteration on the Emacs website, which you can see here:
> http://nicolas-petton.fr/ressources/emacs-website/

It actually bugs me that I cannot click the round "screenshot"
buttons. I would expect some kind of modal window with the screenshot
and a more elaborated explanation of what I can see.

chris

* Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-12-14 22:19 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2015-12-14 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: emacs-devel

* RE: Another iteration on the Emacs website
                   ` (9 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-12-15  0:11 ` Stephan Mueller
From: Stephan Mueller @ 2015-12-15  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton, emacs-devel

Nico wrote:
" I made another iteration on the Emacs website, which you can see here:
" http://nicolas-petton.fr/ressources/emacs-website/

First off, the page looks very nice --

Second, I'll point out a small grammatical issue.  "The features of GNU Emacs include" implies that each of the bulleted items that follow is a noun.  Five of the six are.  I believe "Highly customizable, using Emacs Lisp code or a graphical interface." Should read "High customizability, using...".

Looking at the last two items ("A large number of extensions" and "A packaging system"), these seems kind of like they ought to be one.  Especially since the images associated with both of them mention "Package".   Maybe "A huge number of extensions that add other functionality, including a project planner, mail and news reader, debugger interface, calendar, and more.  A built-in packaging system makes downloading and installing extensions easy."

These are nitpicks, applicable to a polished page; have I mentioned that your work looks _really_ nice?

stephan();

* RE: Another iteration on the Emacs website
@ 2015-12-15  3:24 Brian Burns
From: Brian Burns @ 2015-12-15  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton, emacs-devel

Hi Nicolas, the site looks really nice - I like the colors of the latest
iteration.

In Firefox on Windows though the buttons seem to be misbehaving -
http://i.imgur.com/4FVwZ03.png.

And I think the buttons in the dark iteration look nicer than the light
iteration - they're more uniform, and having the text underneath them looks
a little better, IMO - http://i.imgur.com/5ninomb.png.

Just my thoughts - I really like it so far :)

Brian

* Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
@ 2015-12-15  3:57       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2015-12-15  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: telegraph, emacs-devel

  > I'm wondering why the new Guile website does not have this?
  > https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/

Thanks for reporting the bug.  Rather than wonder why the bug is there,
I will ask people to fix it.

There are some pages in gnu.org that don't follow the conventions.  It
is a sign of the fact that we don't have a big bureaucracy checking
and enforcing them.  But we want to move in the direction of more,
not less, consistency on the site.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

From: Richard Stallman @ 2015-12-15  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: telegraph, emacs-devel

  > > These points should appear near the top of the front page,
  > > because they are high priority for us.

  > I will add these elements to the current website, but adding that on the
  > top of the page would be make it too prominent, as it would take an
  > important size of the screen, and being a distraction from the focus on
  > Emacs, it would lessen the impact of the header of the page.

The current page gnu.org/software/emacs, as viewed, starts with the
FSF's funding drive.  That is present only for December and January,
but is very important during these months.

Then comes a vertical segment that introduces the GNU operating
system.  It also has the buttons for joining the FSF and signing up to
Free Software Supporter.  Encouraging these is very important.  Then
comes a horizontal menu for gnu.org.

These items give some uniformity to gnu.org.  Most of the pages have
them.  There pages in gnu.org where these are missing -- those are
bugs and they ought to be fixed.

They items are not actually present in the page source; rather, they are
copied in using

<!--#include virtual="/server/banner.html" -->

Please preserve that command when you update the Emacs web pages.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* RE: Another iteration on the Emacs website
@ 2015-12-15 10:21 ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2015-12-15 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Burns, emacs-devel

Brian Burns <bburns.km@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Nicolas, the site looks really nice - I like the colors of the latest
> iteration.

Thank you :)

> In Firefox on Windows though the buttons seem to be misbehaving -
> http://i.imgur.com/4FVwZ03.png.

I will fix that, thanks for reporting it.

> And I think the buttons in the dark iteration look nicer than the light
> iteration - they're more uniform, and having the text underneath them looks
> a little better, IMO - http://i.imgur.com/5ninomb.png.

I plan to make another iteration and re-think this part of the page.

Nico

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
                   ` (10 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-12-16 21:50 ` zv
From: zv @ 2015-12-16 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 12/11/2015 02:34 AM, Nicolas Petton wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I made another iteration on the Emacs website, which you can see here:
> http://nicolas-petton.fr/ressources/emacs-website/
>
> The most visible changes are:
>
> - a completely new and lighter color palette, with less contrasts
> - improved "Features" section
> - better support for eww
>
> For comparison, the previous iteration can see be browsed here:
> http://nicolas-petton.fr/ressources/emacs-website-dark/
>
> Cheers,
> Nico

I definitely want to reiterate that you have done an absolutely fantastic job here Nicolas.

Thank you!

- zv

* Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
@ 2016-02-27 18:54             ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2016-02-27 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 7:50 AM, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

I developed the original Emacs in 1976.  I started working in GNU in
> January 1984.  I started working on GNU Emacs in September 1984,

Since I am so good at maths, I have calculated that sometimes this year,
it's Emacs' 40th birthday! Can we make it even more specific with a date,
perhaps, so that those of us that wants to can celebrate with some cake? :)

* Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
@ 2016-02-28 10:24               ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2016-02-28 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathias Dahl; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > Since I am so good at maths, I have calculated that sometimes this year,
  > it's Emacs' 40th birthday! Can we make it even more specific with a date,
  > perhaps, so that those of us that wants to can celebrate with some cake? :)

I don't have any records of when the first Emacs was usable for editing.
It would have been some time in late 1976, I think.

But it may not have been an identifiable moment, anyway.  I probably
started editing with Emacs when it was not really ready to ask anyone
else to use.

One option is to imitate Christian practice by fictionally attributing
to this event a date that is celebrated for some other reason.  Thus,
we could celebrate Emacs's birth on Grav-Mass day, December 25.
(See stallman.org/grav-mass.html.)

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
@ 2016-02-28 17:25                 ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2016-02-28 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: emacs-devel

>   > Since I am so good at maths, I have calculated that sometimes this
> year,
>   > it's Emacs' 40th birthday! Can we make it even more specific with a
> date,
>   > perhaps, so that those of us that wants to can celebrate with some
> cake? :)
>
> I don't have any records of when the first Emacs was usable for editing.
> It would have been some time in late 1976, I think.
>
> But it may not have been an identifiable moment, anyway.  I probably
> started editing with Emacs when it was not really ready to ask anyone
> else to use.
>
> One option is to imitate Christian practice by fictionally attributing
> to this event a date that is celebrated for some other reason.  Thus,
> we could celebrate Emacs's birth on Grav-Mass day, December 25.
> (See stallman.org/grav-mass.html.)

That, or December 10 (Nobel prize ceremony day)...

* Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
@ 2016-02-28 18:15                   ` H. Dieter Wilhelm
From: H. Dieter Wilhelm @ 2016-02-28 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Mathias Dahl <mathias.dahl@gmail.com> writes:

>  > Since I am so good at maths, I have calculated that sometimes this year,
>  > it's Emacs' 40th birthday! Can we make it even more specific with a date,
>  > perhaps, so that those of us that wants to can celebrate with some cake? :)
>
>  I don't have any records of when the first Emacs was usable for editing.
>  It would have been some time in late 1976, I think.
>
>  But it may not have been an identifiable moment, anyway. I probably
>  started editing with Emacs when it was not really ready to ask anyone
>  else to use.
>
>  One option is to imitate Christian practice by fictionally attributing
>  to this event a date that is celebrated for some other reason. Thus,
>  we could celebrate Emacs's birth on Grav-Mass day, December 25.
>  (See stallman.org/grav-mass.html.)
>

> That, or December 10 (Nobel prize ceremony day)...

This is only logical ;-), but I like December 25 better, it is a better
spin for The Church!

--
Best wishes
H. Dieter Wilhelm

* Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
@ 2016-02-28 19:55                 ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2016-02-28 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms, Mathias Dahl; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:
> One option is to imitate Christian practice by fictionally attributing
> to this event a date that is celebrated for some other reason.

We could celebrate the birthday of the Austrian physicist and philosopher Ernst
Mach.  E. Mach's day is February 18.

* Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
@ 2016-02-28 23:33                     ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2016-02-28 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H. Dieter Wilhelm; +Cc: emacs-devel

> This is only logical ;-), but I like December 25 better, it is a better spin
> for The Church!

Part of me feels that if it is linked to anyone's birthday, it should be
Richard's. :)

* Re: Another iteration on the Emacs website
@ 2016-02-29 13:31                   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2016-02-29 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathias Dahl; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > That, or December 10 (Nobel prize ceremony day)...

I can't be party to a plan to metaphorically claim for my own work the
equivalent of a Nobel prize.  Besides which, I don't think Emacs
merits that.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

From: Richard Stallman @ 2016-02-29 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: emacs-devel, mathias.dahl

  > We could celebrate the birthday of the Austrian physicist and
  > philosopher Ernst Mach.  E. Mach's day is February 18.

1. That is in the wrong part of the year.

2. It isn't celebrated by a lot of people as far as I know.

--
Dr Richard Stallman