* Re: Declaring Lisp function types
@ 2024-03-16  7:46 Arthur Miller
From: Arthur Miller @ 2024-03-16  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acorallo; +Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier via "Emacs development discussions."
<emacs-devel@gnu.org> writes:

> [...]
>> <args> <rettype>)?  Are you thinking of types like
>> (or (function (int) int) (function (float) float))?
>
>That's a good example why it would be good to be able to accept the type
>specifier as a declaration with no tricks. On the specific case I'm not
>sure we want to support this in the inner machinery (at least for now).
>
>> More important I think is to document what such annotations mean and
>> what they should look like (currently, this is not super important,
>> because the annotations live together with the code that uses them, but
>> if we move them outside of `comp.el`, the "contract" needs to be made
>> more explicit).
>>
>> - How they interact with `&optional` and `&rest` (or even `&key` for
>>   `c-defun`).
>
>ATM we already support in type specifiers `&optional` and `&rest`:
>
>(subr-type (native-compile '(lambda (x &optional y &rest z)))) =>
>(function (t &optional t &rest t) null)
>
>Not sure we want to handle &key as well as it looks to me not very
>native to the elisp machinery.  OTOH cl-defun just expands to the native
>elisp call convention.
>
>> - What will/could happen if one of the arguments does not have the
>>   specified type?
>
>I think if ones does a declaration has to declare the type of all
>arguments (rest should be optional).
>
>> - What will/could happen if the result does not have the
>>   specified type?
>
>I think we want to complete it with the inferred return type if we have
>it or t otherwise.
>
>> - Do we have types to say "arg unused" or "no return value"?
>
>We don't have "arg unused" because the function type (or signature) is
>like the contract with the outside word, it should not matter how (and
>if) and arg is used inside.
>
>OTOH we have "no return value" and it's nil
>
>(subr-type (native-compile '(lambda (x) (error x)))) =>
>(function (t) nil)
>
>> - Can we have higher-order function types, like
>>
>>      (function (proc (function (proc string) void)) void)
>>
>>   and if so, again, what does it mean in terms of what can happen if the
>>   runtime values don't actually match the announced types (e.g. what
>>   happens (and when) if we pass a function that has the "wrong type")?
>
>I don't kwnow if we want to allow this to be future proof, ATM certanly
>the compiler does not use it and I don't think it could help code
>generation.  OTOH might be nice for documentation?
>
>As a note: AFAIR SBCL doesn't go beyond something like:
>(function (integer function) function)
>
>That if arguments/ret values are functions it forgets the inner details
>of their type specifier.
>
>Anyway I certanly agree we should better document this once it's shaped,
>and I'll try my best.
>
>But generally speaking I've the feeling there might be other cases we
>don't see ATM where accepting directly the type specifier as valid
>declaration graciously/naturally solves potential issues we could hit

Please, if you can, just (re)use SBCL syntax. It makes life easier
for those who are already familiar. Those who are not have to learn
something new anyway, so for them it does not matter.

Great work, thank you working so much with this.

best regards
/arthur

* Declaring Lisp function types
@ 2024-02-23 16:02 Andrea Corallo
From: Andrea Corallo @ 2024-02-23 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,

I'm looking into moving out the function type declarations in
'comp-known-type-specifiers' in order to move them to where the function
are actually defined.  This to easy maintenance (ATM they get out of
sync) and to allow the user for (indeed optionally) declaring function
types.

In principle I believe we are interested in expressing the the argument
types and (maybe optionally) the return type.

Some ways CL does this:

;;1
(declaim (ftype (function (integer integer) integer) sum))
;;                         ^^inputs         ^^output [optional]
(defun sum (a b)
  (declare (integer a b))
  (+ a b))

;;2
(defun sum (a b)
  (declare (integer a b))
  (+ a b))

;;3 through 'defstar' (a CL library not in the standard)
(defun* sum ((a integer) (b integer))
  (+ a b))

;;4 again through 'defstar'
(defun* (sum -> integer) ((a integer) (b integer))
  (+ a b))

I find 1 a bit too verbose and I think most of times we want a way to do
the declaration inside the function definition.

I think 2 would be not trivial to implement with our current declare
mechanism (as it conflicts) and does *not* allow for declaring the
return type.

3 and 4 are I guess are okay assuming we would fine with extending the
defun syntax.

I initially thought also about adding an ftype declaration like:

(defun sum (a b)
  (declare (ftype (function (integer integer) integer)))
  (+ a b))

But looked a bit too verbose to me.

Finally on top of 'scratch/func-type-decls' (where I there was already a
similar work for primitives) I pushed some commits that allows for the
following style:

(defun sum (a b)
  (declare (function (integer integer) integer))
  (+ a b))

I moved all function declaration out of 'comp-known-type-specifiers' and
everything looks functional now.

Before writing a ton of changelogs I thought was good to get some
feedback anyway. WDYT?

Thanks!

  Andrea