* Include ivy + counsel in Emacs core?
@ 2020-09-13 18:53 Andrea Corallo via Emacs development discussions.
From: Andrea Corallo via Emacs development discussions. @ 2020-09-13 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Oleh Krehel

Hi all,

as I'm relatively new here forgive me if this was already asked.

Given all the recent discussions about modern Emacs but also fido-mode
came to my mind the following question:

was ever considered the inclusion of ivy + counsel in the Emacs core
distribution?

ivy+counsel it's a quality package that reached already noticeable
popularity.  Does fuzzy completion with vertical output display, and its
counsel-M-X shows also the command key binding (feature I consider for
my experience a _game changer_ for softening the learning curve).
Finally it's already in ELPA.

I'm probably wrong but I get the impression it has already everything
fido-mode is trying to get.

I'd see its inclusion together with a polished which-key a perfect
match.

Thanks

  Andrea

* Re: Include ivy + counsel in Emacs core?
@ 2020-09-14  2:36 Jai Flack
From: Jai Flack @ 2020-09-14  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rekado; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi emacs-devel,

Would it be out-of-place for me to recommend selectrum as a
replacement?  On the GitHub (https://github.com/raxod502/selectrum) it
advertises to not break any of the existing abstractions, something
which they claim both Ivy and Helm are terrible at.

The biggest road-block I can see is that its MIT licensed but if they
were willing to re-license it, the project only has 9 contributors,
all of which seem quite active.

--
Thanks for Emacs!