* Copyright assignment
@ 2005-08-20  9:00 Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2005-08-20  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I sent copyright assignment 4 or 5 fews ago for GNU Emacs, but I did
not receive any acknoledgement so far.

I contacted the copyright clerk with no reply either.

Could anyone help me getting an update on this?

Thanks.

Regards,

--
Jérôme Marant

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2005-08-21  5:42 ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-08-21  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

If you have problems in dealing with FSF legal papers, please write to
me.  Other developers on emacs-devel can help with this, so there is
no point adding mail to their mailboxes.

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2005-08-21 12:04   ` drkm
From: drkm @ 2005-08-21 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard M. Stallman writes:

> If you have problems in dealing with FSF legal papers, please write to
> me.  Other developers on emacs-devel can help with this
                                       ^^^

  You mean "can not", don't you?

--drkm

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2005-08-21 16:14   ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2005-08-21 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Richard M. Stallman" <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> If you have problems in dealing with FSF legal papers, please write to
> me.  Other developers on emacs-devel can help with this, so there is
> no point adding mail to their mailboxes.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

--
Jérôme Marant

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2005-08-22  0:05   ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-08-22  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oops.  I sent:

    If you have problems in dealing with FSF legal papers, please write to
    me.  Other developers on emacs-devel can help with this, so there is
    no point adding mail to their mailboxes.

but it should say

    If you have problems in dealing with FSF legal papers, please write to
    me.  Other developers on emacs-devel can't help with this, so there is
    no point adding mail to their mailboxes.

* Copyright Assignment
@ 2016-03-08 21:58 Matt Briggs
From: Matt Briggs @ 2016-03-08 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I would like to assign copyright of my elisp code in order to contribute to
an
ELPA package (yasnippet). Emailing in this list as directed by
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/CONTRIBUTE
[https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/CONTRIBUTE]
I am currently employed as a professional programmer in Canada. If someone
could
point me in the direction of the next step, that would be awesome :)

Matt

* Re: Copyright Assignment
@ 2016-03-09 19:24 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-03-09 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Briggs; +Cc: emacs-devel

Matt Briggs <matt@mattbriggs.net> writes:

> I am currently employed as a professional programmer in Canada. If someone
> could point me in the direction of the next step, that would be awesome :)

Send an email to copyright-clerk@fsf.org saying you want to assign
copyright for Emacs to the FSF, and they'll take it from there.

* Re: Copyright Assignment
@ 2016-03-09 21:26   ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2016-03-09 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Matt Briggs, emacs-devel

> Matt Briggs <matt@mattbriggs.net> writes:
>> I am currently employed as a professional programmer in Canada. If someone
>> could point me in the direction of the next step, that would be awesome :)

> Send an email to copyright-clerk@fsf.org saying you want to assign copyright
> for Emacs to the FSF, and they'll take it from there.

assign@gnu.org works too.

* Copyright assignment
@ 2016-09-25 20:07 Tianxiang Xiong
From: Tianxiang Xiong @ 2016-09-25 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I'd like to assign copyright to the FSF in case any of my contributions are
accepted. The Emacs manual says to contact emacs-devel@gnu.org.

Is there a form to fill out online? The manual mentions that residents of
some countries can do it entirely electronically; does that apply to the
US?

Thanks,

Tianxiang Xiong

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2016-09-25 20:48 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2016-09-25 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tianxiang Xiong; +Cc: emacs-devel

TX> I'd like to assign copyright to the FSF in case any of my contributions
TX> are accepted. The Emacs manual says to contact emacs-devel@gnu.org.

Actually, I must refer you to assign@gnu.org, as they deal with the paperwork
you'll need to sign and return to them.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2016-09-25 20:53   ` Tianxiang Xiong
From: Tianxiang Xiong @ 2016-09-25 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tianxiang Xiong, emacs-devel

Thanks, I'll do that.

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 1:48 PM, John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com> wrote:

> TX> I'd like to assign copyright to the FSF in case any of my contributions
> TX> are accepted. The Emacs manual says to contact emacs-devel@gnu.org.
>
> Actually, I must refer you to assign@gnu.org, as they deal with the
> paperwork
> you'll need to sign and return to them.
>
> --
> John Wiegley                  GPG fingerprint = 4710 CF98 AF9B 327B B80F
> http://newartisans.com                          60E1 46C4 BD1A 7AC1 4BA2

* copyright assignment
@ 2016-12-27 16:09 重村道人
From: 重村道人 @ 2016-12-27 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I would like to assign copyright.
I have sent a patch before, but I didn't know about copyright
assignment. I read this page:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Copyright-Assignment.html#Copyright-Assignment,
but I didn't understand how to assign copyright.

Please let me know about copyright assignment.

Thank you.

--
Michihito Shigemura

* Re: copyright assignment
@ 2016-12-27 17:56 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2016-12-27 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 重村道人; +Cc: assign, emacs-devel

重> Please let me know about copyright assignment.

You can send a message to assign@gnu.org (I'm copying them now), and they'll
let you know all that you need.

* Copyright Assignment
@ 2018-03-25 12:16 Shanavas M
From: Shanavas M @ 2018-03-25 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I would like to assign copyright of my works on gnu softwares to FSF.

Can you please guide ?
--
Regards,
Shanavas M

* Re: Copyright Assignment
@ 2018-03-25 15:25 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-03-25 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shanavas M; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 15:16:58 +0300
> From: Shanavas M <snavas@disroot.org>
>
> I would like to assign copyright of my works on gnu softwares to FSF.
>
> Can you please guide ?

Thanks, form and instructions sent off-list.

* copyright assignment
@ 2018-07-26  8:25 akrl
From: akrl @ 2018-07-26  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all.
I would like to go through the copyright assignment procedure.
Read this
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Copyright-Assignment.html
I've been pointed to the mail list.

Thanks any help is appreciated.

Bests

  Andrea

--
akrl@sdf.org

* copyright assignment
@ 2018-07-26  9:32 akrl
From: akrl @ 2018-07-26  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,
I would like to go through the copyright assignment procedure.
Read this https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Copyright-Assignment.html I've been pointed to the mail list.
I'm resident in France with Italian nationality.

@ 2018-07-26 17:29 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-07-26 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: akrl; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: akrl <akrl@sdf.org>
> Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 09:32:05 +0000
>
> Hi all,
> I would like to go through the copyright assignment procedure.
> Read this https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Copyright-Assignment.html I've been pointed to the mail list.
> I'm resident in France with Italian nationality.
> Thanks any help is appreciated.

Form sent off-list.

Thanks.

* Re: copyright assignment
@ 2018-07-26 18:22 ` Brett Gilio
From: Brett Gilio @ 2018-07-26 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: akrl; +Cc: emacs-devel

akrl@sdf.org writes:

> Hi all.
> I would like to go through the copyright assignment procedure.
> Read this
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Copyright-Assignment.html
> I've been pointed to the mail list.
>
> Thanks any help is appreciated.
>
> Bests
>
>   Andrea

What exactly would you like help with?

--
Brett M. Gilio
Free Software Foundation, Member

* Re: copyright assignment
@ 2018-07-27  8:02   ` akrl
From: akrl @ 2018-07-27  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Gilio; +Cc: akrl, emacs-devel

Hi Brett,
I've actually compiled the dev branch about threaded tramp and saw some
warnings during byte compilation due to use of deprecated functions here
and there. I then thought was a good starting point to help with.
Generally speaking I'm mostly a C guy with some compiler background but
I write some elisp too.
Nowadays I'm working on some elisp code to navigate verilog designs.
That said I'm really open to suggestions on how to start helping.

Bests
  Andrea

--
akrl@sdf.org

* Copyright assignment
@ 2019-11-20  9:21 Vladimir Kazanov
From: Vladimir Kazanov @ 2019-11-20  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all!

I am preparing a relatively big patch for submission so I wanted to do
the copyright assignment in advance. I already did it years ago but
it's not relevant any more (new company, new country).

How do I proceed? Currently I am a resident of UK.

Thanks,
Vlad

--
Yours sincerely,

Vladimir Kazanov

--
С уважением,

Владимир Казанов

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2019-11-20 10:46 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-11-20 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladimir Kazanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

Vladimir Kazanov <vekazanov@gmail.com> writes:

> I am preparing a relatively big patch for submission so I wanted to do
> the copyright assignment in advance. I already did it years ago but
> it's not relevant any more (new company, new country).
>
> How do I proceed? Currently I am a resident of UK.

I sent the "assign" form off-list.

* Copyright assignment
@ 2019-12-09 11:33 Luca Nassi
From: Luca Nassi @ 2019-12-09 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,

I would like to start the process for the copyright assignment
paperwork.

Best regards,

Luca

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2019-12-09 13:37 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-12-09 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Nassi; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Luca Nassi <luknax@sdf.org>
> Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2019 11:33:15 +0000
>
> I would like to start the process for the copyright assignment
> paperwork.

Thanks, form sent off-list.

* Copyright assignment
@ 2020-01-08 18:13 Theodor Thornhill
From: Theodor Thornhill @ 2020-01-08 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello,
I’m looking to get the assignment form, and was instructed to ask here!

Could someone send me the assignment form so that I can contribute?

Thanks in advance,
Theodor Thornhill

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2020-01-08 18:22 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-01-08 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodor Thornhill; +Cc: emacs-devel

@ 2020-02-14  0:02 Morgan Smith
From: Morgan Smith @ 2020-02-14  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Could I get the copyright assignment paperwork please?

Thank you,

Morgan

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2020-02-14  8:17 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-02-14  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Morgan Smith; +Cc: emacs-devel

@ 2020-02-18 22:39 Luke Culpepper
From: Luke Culpepper @ 2020-02-18 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Hi FSF,

Can you please send me a draft of your copyright assignment<https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Copyright-Assignment.html#Copyright-Assignment> for GNU Emacs?

Thanks,
Luke

* Re: Copyright Assignment
@ 2020-02-19 13:14 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-02-19 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luke Culpepper; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Sent off-list,

        Stefan

Luke Culpepper [2020-02-18 22:39:20] wrote:

> Hi FSF,
>
> Can you please send me a draft of your copyright
> assignment<https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Copyright-Assignment.html#Copyright-Assignment>
> for GNU Emacs?
>
> Thanks,
> Luke
> information in any medium. Thank you.

* Copyright Assignment
@ 2020-03-02 13:57 SK Kim
From: SK Kim @ 2020-03-02 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello.

Could you please send me a copyright assignment form?
I would like to contribute to Posframe package.

Thank you.

SK

* Re: Copyright Assignment
@ 2020-03-02 14:28 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-03-02 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SK Kim; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: SK Kim <tttuuu888@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2020 22:57:39 +0900
>
> Could you please send me a copyright assignment form?
> I would like to contribute to Posframe package.

Form sent off-list.  Thank you for your interest in Emacs.

* Copyright Assignment
@ 2020-03-03 16:58 Alexander Adolf
From: Alexander Adolf @ 2020-03-03 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Dear Emacs developers,

I would like to contribute a new back-end to the EUDC package. Could
someone please send me a copyright assignment form?

Many thanks in advance and cheers,

  --alexander adolf

--
Condition-ALPHA Digital Broadcast Technology Consulting Alexander Adolf
────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

* Re: Copyright Assignment
@ 2020-03-03 19:29 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-03-03 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Adolf; +Cc: emacs-devel

@ 2020-05-22 15:39 yyoncho
From: yyoncho @ 2020-05-22 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Could someone please send me a copyright assignment form?

Thanks,
Ivan

* Re: copyright assignment
@ 2020-05-22 19:04 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-05-22 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yyoncho; +Cc: emacs-devel

@ 2020-09-21 16:25 Dan Harms
From: Dan Harms @ 2020-09-21 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I would like a copyright assignment for contributing to emacs.
Also some elpa packages, like swiper and auto-complete.
Do I need to list all elpa packages?  Do I need to request a different assignment for every package I may want to contribute to in the future?

Thank you.

Dan Harms

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2020-09-22 13:12 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-09-22 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Harms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Dan Harms <enniomore@icloud.com> writes:

> I would like a copyright assignment for contributing to emacs.

(Sent off-list.)

> Also some elpa packages, like swiper and auto-complete.
> Do I need to list all elpa packages?  Do I need to request a different
> assignment for every package I may want to contribute to in the
> future?

I think it suffices to say that you assign all changes to Emacs?

* Copyright Assignment
@ 2020-09-26 16:02 Fox Kiester
From: Fox Kiester @ 2020-09-26 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello,

I have contributed to an Emacs package that is looking to move to ELPA
(ivy-posframe). I would like help with the copyright assignment process.

Thank you,
Fox Kiester

* Re: Copyright Assignment
@ 2020-09-26 16:28 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-09-26 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fox Kiester; +Cc: emacs-devel

Fox Kiester <noct@posteo.net> writes:

> I have contributed to an Emacs package that is looking to move to ELPA
> (ivy-posframe). I would like help with the copyright assignment
> process.

(Sent off-list.)

* Re: Copyright Assignment
@ 2020-09-26 16:29 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-09-26 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fox Kiester; +Cc: emacs-devel

@ 2020-10-18 11:33 jakub-w
From: jakub-w @ 2020-10-18 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

Could anyone send me the copyright assignment forms?
Thanks.

Jakub

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2020-10-18 15:06 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-10-18 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jakub-w; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: "" <jakub-w@riseup.net>
> Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 13:33:57 +0200
>
> Hi,
>
> Could anyone send me the copyright assignment forms?

Sent off-list.

* Copyright Assignment
@ 2020-12-03 18:42 Valentin Herrmann
From: Valentin Herrmann @ 2020-12-03 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello everyone,

an developer from swiper recommended to me to start the assignment
process, so that i can easily contribute to FSF-copyrighted projects. He
pointed me to this website
<https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Copyright-Assignment.html>.
So here i am, asking for your help. :)

Best regards

Valentin Herrmann

* Re: Copyright Assignment
@ 2020-12-03 23:19 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2020-12-03 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Valentin Herrmann; +Cc: emacs-devel

> an developer from swiper recommended to me to start the assignment process,
>  so that i can easily contribute to FSF-copyrighted projects. He pointed me

You've come to the right place.

All you have to do is fill the form below and send it to the FSF as
instructed FSF so that they can send you the relevant paperwork to sign.

Thanks for your contributions,

        Stefan

Please email the following information to assign@gnu.org, and we
will send you the assignment form for your past and future changes.

Please use your full legal name (in ASCII characters) as the subject
line of the message.
REQUEST: SEND FORM FOR PAST AND FUTURE CHANGES

[What is the name of the program or package you're contributing to?]
Emacs

[Did you copy any files or text written by someone else in these changes?
Even if that material is free software, we need to know about it.]

[Do you have an employer who might have a basis to claim to own
your changes?  Do you attend a school which might make such a claim?]

[For the copyright registration, what country are you a citizen of?]

[What year were you born?]

[Please write your email address here.]

[Please write your postal address here.]

[Which files have you changed so far, and which new files have you written
so far?]

* Copyright Assignment
@ 2020-12-20 11:05 Leon Vack
From: Leon Vack @ 2020-12-20 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello,

I am submitting my first patch for review and I still need to assign the
copyright to the FSF. Can you send me the relevant paperwork and
instructions?

Best Regards,
Leon

* Re: Copyright Assignment
@ 2020-12-20 17:26 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-12-20 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Leon Vack <dev@lgcl.de> writes:

> I am submitting my first patch for review and I still need to assign the
> copyright to the FSF. Can you send me the relevant paperwork and
> instructions?

(Form sent off-list.)

* Copyright assignment
@ 2021-04-12  7:24 Aaron Gonzales
From: Aaron Gonzales @ 2021-04-12  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi y’all,

I am currently trying to get a pull request merged into a package on emacs called expand-region.el. The owner of the repo stated that I need to get a copyright assignment in order to contribute. Is there a place where I can get the files to sign online and where should I send them to?

Appreciate any and all help and hope you have a great week. Hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

Aaron Gonzales

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2021-04-12 13:32 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-04-12 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Gonzales; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I am currently trying to get a pull request merged into a package on emacs
> called expand-region.el. The owner of the repo stated that I need to get
> a copyright assignment in order to contribute. Is there a place where I can
> get the files to sign online and where should I send them to?
>
> Appreciate any and all help and hope you have a great week. Hear from you soon.

Here it is: fill the form below and send it as instructed to the FSF so
they can send you the relevant paperwork to sign.  Thank you for your
contribution,

@ 2021-10-13 18:13 Psionic K
From: Psionic K @ 2021-10-13 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

Hello,

I need to get set up to contribute on Emacs, both core and via transient.

--

Psionic K <psionik@positron.solutions>
Software Engineer

*Positron Solutions <https://positron.solutions>*

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2021-10-13 18:56 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-10-13 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Psionic K; +Cc: Emacs developers

Psionic K <psionik@positron.solutions> writes:

> I need to get set up to contribute on Emacs, both core and via transient.

Great!  Here's the form to get started:

@ 2021-11-26 18:53 Fredrik Salomonsson
From: Fredrik Salomonsson @ 2021-11-26 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

I would like to fill out the form for a copyright assignment to FSF so
that I can contribute to a GNU ELPA package (specifically
nano-modeline). According to the docs I should send an email to this
mailing list to get the ball rolling.

Thanks.

--
s/Fred[re]+i[ck]+/Fredrik/g

* Re: Copyright Assignment
@ 2021-11-26 19:41 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2021-11-26 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fredrik Salomonsson; +Cc: emacs-devel

@ 2021-11-26 19:48 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-11-26 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fredrik Salomonsson; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I would like to fill out the form for a copyright assignment to FSF so
> that I can contribute to a GNU ELPA package (specifically
> nano-modeline). According to the docs I should send an email to this
> mailing list to get the ball rolling.

Here you go,

        Stefan

Please email the following information to assign@gnu.org, and they

@ 2021-11-26 22:51   ` Fredrik Salomonsson
From: Fredrik Salomonsson @ 2021-11-26 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Thank you, I filled out the form and sent to assign@gnu.org.

--
s/Fred[re]+i[ck]+/Fredrik/g

* copyright assignment
@ 2022-01-31 16:15 Guy Gastineau
From: Guy Gastineau @ 2022-01-31 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Copyright-Assignment.html
tells me to inquire here about the copyright assignment.

I am a little confused.  It says we need to do it each time we submit
work.  I assume this means, once we cumulatively reach >=15 lines of sloc
we then retroactively give our copyright assignment to the work, but then
we need to reassign the copyright holding to fsf for future contribution?

I have started putting my pgp key on some keyservers.  Can I send it to a
gnu or fsf specific keyserver?  Should I just export it and send that to
you all here in the mailing list?
I assume then I just need to sign a text document saying whatever legal
magic we need with said pgp key and send it here?

Thank you for helping me figure this out :)

* Re: copyright assignment
@ 2022-01-31 18:38 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-01-31 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guy Gastineau; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Guy Gastineau <strings.stringsandstrings@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 11:15:01 -0500
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Copyright-Assignment.html tells me to
> inquire here about the copyright assignment.
>
> I am a little confused.  It says we need to do it each time we submit work.  I assume this means, once we
> cumulatively reach >=15 lines of sloc we then retroactively give our copyright assignment to the work, but
> then we need to reassign the copyright holding to fsf for future contribution?

Yes.  But this is a one-time procedure, there's no need to assign the
copyright each time you submit a contribution.

> I have started putting my pgp key on some keyservers.  Can I send it to a gnu or fsf specific keyserver?
> Should I just export it and send that to you all here in the mailing list?
> I assume then I just need to sign a text document saying whatever legal magic we need with said pgp key
> and send it here?

There's no need to do anything with PGP up front.  You fill the form,
which I attach below, and email it according to instructions.  In
response, you will receive an email telling you how to proceed.

@ 2022-01-31 19:56   ` Guy Gastineau
From: Guy Gastineau @ 2022-01-31 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Thank you, Eli.

I added a config example to the emacs wiki the other day too.  Do I need to
include that wiki page in the last field?

On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 1:38 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: Guy Gastineau <strings.stringsandstrings@gmail.com>
> > Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 11:15:01 -0500
> >

> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Copyright-Assignment.html
> tells me to
> > inquire here about the copyright assignment.
> >
> > I am a little confused.  It says we need to do it each time we submit
> work.  I assume this means, once we
> > cumulatively reach >=15 lines of sloc we then retroactively give our
> copyright assignment to the work, but
> > then we need to reassign the copyright holding to fsf for future
> contribution?
>
> Yes.  But this is a one-time procedure, there's no need to assign the
> copyright each time you submit a contribution.
>
> > I have started putting my pgp key on some keyservers.  Can I send it to
> a gnu or fsf specific keyserver?
> > Should I just export it and send that to you all here in the mailing
> list?
> > I assume then I just need to sign a text document saying whatever legal
> magic we need with said pgp key
> > and send it here?
>
> There's no need to do anything with PGP up front.  You fill the form,
> which I attach below, and email it according to instructions.  In
> response, you will receive an email telling you how to proceed.

> Please email the following information to assign@gnu.org, and we
> will send you the assignment form for your past and future changes.
>
> Please use your full legal name (in ASCII characters) as the subject
> line of the message.
> REQUEST: SEND FORM FOR PAST AND FUTURE CHANGES
>
> [What is the name of the program or package you're contributing to?]
>

> [Did you copy any files or text written by someone else in these changes?
> Even if that material is free software, we need to know about it.]
>

> [Do you have an employer who might have a basis to claim to own
> your changes?  Do you attend a school which might make such a claim?]
>

> [For the copyright registration, what country are you a citizen of?]
>

> [What year were you born?]
>

> [Please write your email address here.]
>

> [Please write your postal address here.]
>

> [Which files have you changed so far, and which new files have you written
> so far?]

* Re: copyright assignment
@ 2022-01-31 20:32     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-01-31 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guy Gastineau; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Guy Gastineau <strings.stringsandstrings@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 14:56:01 -0500
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> I added a config example to the emacs wiki the other day too.  Do I need to include that wiki page in the last
> field?

No.  Only code and documentation submissions to Emacs count.

* Re: copyright assignment
@ 2022-02-01  5:08   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2022-02-01  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: strings.stringsandstrings, emacs-devel

  > > I am a little confused.  It says we need to do it each time we submit work.  I assume this means, once we
  > > cumulatively reach >=15 lines of sloc we then retroactively give our copyright assignment to the work, but
  > > then we need to reassign the copyright holding to fsf for future contribution?

  > Yes.  But this is a one-time procedure, there's no need to assign the
  > copyright each time you submit a contribution.

Could a change in the wording make this clearer to new contributors?

  > > I have started putting my pgp key on some keyservers.  Can I send it to a gnu or fsf specific keyserver?
  > > Should I just export it and send that to you all here in the mailing list?
  > > I assume then I just need to sign a text document saying whatever legal magic we need with said pgp key
  > > and send it here?

Guy, could you tell us what led you to think there was something
you needed to do with GPG at the outset?  Was it anything we said?

Maybe we could make it clearer, if we knew exactly what/where it is.

* Re: copyright assignment
@ 2022-02-01 13:44     ` Guy Gastineau
From: Guy Gastineau @ 2022-02-01 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

> Guy, could you tell us what led you to think there was something
> you needed to do with GPG at the outset?  Was it anything we said?

Certainly ;) In the copyright assignment docs at
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Copyright-Assignment.html
it says

> Copyright assignment is a simple process.
> Residents of some countries can do it entirely electronically.

Then in the next paragraph:

> Note that the disclaimer, like an assignment, involves you sending signed
paperwork to the FSF ...

So "residents of SOME countries can do it electronically" and "involves
sending SIGNED paperwork" are the literary bits by which I thought I'd need
to sign the copyright assignment form with my PGP key.

Clearly assumptions on my part ran with that information, but my basic
thought process was...
1. In some countries there must be precedent for digital identification and
legal documents.
2. The only technology of which I am aware that we use for that purpose is
signing files with PGP.
3. "... sending signed paperwork ..." must mean I should sign the
assignment form with my key.

Clearly, it is a logical error on my part to take #2, an assumption, as
fact.  Alas, as a human I think I am prone to this kind of falacy.  In
light of these words, I hope the source of my confusion and the necessity
for any literary refinement are clearer now, Dr Stallmann.  I appreciate
your engagement.

On Tue, Feb 1, 2022, 12:08 AM Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

>   > > I am a little confused.  It says we need to do it each time we
> submit work.  I assume this means, once we
>   > > cumulatively reach >=15 lines of sloc we then retroactively give our
> copyright assignment to the work, but
>   > > then we need to reassign the copyright holding to fsf for future
> contribution?
>
>   > Yes.  But this is a one-time procedure, there's no need to assign the
>   > copyright each time you submit a contribution.
>
> Could a change in the wording make this clearer to new contributors?
>
>   > > I have started putting my pgp key on some keyservers.  Can I send it
> to a gnu or fsf specific keyserver?
>   > > Should I just export it and send that to you all here in the mailing
> list?
>   > > I assume then I just need to sign a text document saying whatever
> legal magic we need with said pgp key
>   > > and send it here?
>
> Guy, could you tell us what led you to think there was something
> you needed to do with GPG at the outset?  Was it anything we said?
>
> Maybe we could make it clearer, if we knew exactly what/where it is.
>
> --
> Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
> Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
> Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
> Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)

* Re: copyright assignment
@ 2022-02-02  3:58       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2022-02-02  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guy Gastineau; +Cc: eliz, emacs-devel

  > > Copyright assignment is a simple process.
  > > Residents of some countries can do it entirely electronically.

  > Then in the next paragraph:

  > > Note that the disclaimer, like an assignment, involves you sending signed
  > paperwork to the FSF ...

  > So "residents of SOME countries can do it electronically" and "involves
  > sending SIGNED paperwork" are the literary bits by which I thought I'd need
  > to sign the copyright assignment form with my PGP key.

That's true.  But the point where this text may have given you the wrong idea
is about WHEN you need to do that.

You may have given us a clue about how to fix it to avoid that
misunderstanding in the future.  Thanks.

* Copyright assignment
@ 2022-03-21 12:12 Akib Azmain Turja
From: Akib Azmain Turja @ 2022-03-21 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I have implemented semantic tokens support in Eglot and requested its
maintainer to add it to the codebase[1].  But as Eglot is part of Emacs
and copyrighted by FSF, I need to assign copyright to FSF.

Can you kindly send me the necessary papers and instructions to complete
my paperwork?

[1]: https://github.com/joaotavora/eglot/pull/839

--
Akib Azmain Turja

This message is signed by me with my GnuPG key.  It's fingerprint is:

    7001 8CE5 819F 17A3 BBA6  66AF E74F 0EFA 922A E7F5

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2022-03-21 12:45 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-03-21 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akib Azmain Turja; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org>
> Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 18:12:40 +0600
>
> I have implemented semantic tokens support in Eglot and requested its
> maintainer to add it to the codebase[1].  But as Eglot is part of Emacs
> and copyrighted by FSF, I need to assign copyright to FSF.
>
> Can you kindly send me the necessary papers and instructions to complete
> my paperwork?

Thanks, form sent off-list.

* Copyright assignment
@ 2022-07-10 13:11 Gautier Ponsinet
From: Gautier Ponsinet @ 2022-07-10 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting on this mailing list.

I would like to assign copyright to the Free Software Foundation in
order to be able to contribute to emacs and packages that require this
assignment, such as the ones in the gnu elpa repository.

I have read in the emacs info manual that I should contact this mailing
list to do so. Could someone explain to me what I need to do to
effectively assign copyright to the FSF?

All the best,
Gautier.

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2022-07-10 13:24 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-07-10 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gautier Ponsinet; +Cc: emacs-devel

@ 2022-10-05 21:38 Greg Pfeil
From: Greg Pfeil @ 2022-10-05 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

I’d like to sign whatever I need to to be able to contribute to packages in ELPA.

Thanks!

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2022-10-06  6:55 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-10-06  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Pfeil; +Cc: emacs-devel

@ 2022-10-10  7:55 Roman Rudakov
From: Roman Rudakov @ 2022-10-10  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello, I'd like to sign a copyright assignment to be able to contribute
to emacs core.  Could somebody please send me a form?
--
Best regards, Roman

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2022-10-10  8:47 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-10-10  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rrudakov; +Cc: emacs-devel

@ 2022-10-21  2:04 Akib Azmain Turja
From: Akib Azmain Turja @ 2022-10-21  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I got the following form about seven month ago from this list.  Is this
form still up to date?

REQUEST: SEND FORM FOR PAST AND FUTURE CHANGES

[What is the name of the program or package you're contributing to?]

[Did you copy any files or text written by someone else in these changes?
Even if that material is free software, we need to know about it.]

[Do you have an employer who might have a basis to claim to own
your changes?  Do you attend a school which might make such a claim?]

[For the copyright registration, what country are you a citizen of?]

[What year were you born?]

[Please write your email address here.]

[Please write your postal address here.]

[Which files have you changed so far, and which new files have you written
so far?]

And what's the answer of the last question?  I have some packages that I
intend to add to ELPA, should I include them too?

--
Akib Azmain Turja

Find me on Mastodon at @akib@hostux.social, and on Codeberg (user
"akib").

@ 2022-10-21  3:18 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2022-10-21  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akib Azmain Turja; +Cc: emacs-devel

Yes.  AFAIK it hasn't changed much if at all for the last 20 years.
Its purpose is to be a stable starting point, so the paperwork they send
you in response can evolve as needed.

        Stefan

@ 2022-10-21  3:22   ` Akib Azmain Turja
From: Akib Azmain Turja @ 2022-10-21  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Yes.  AFAIK it hasn't changed much if at all for the last 20 years.
> Its purpose is to be a stable starting point, so the paperwork they send
> you in response can evolve as needed.
>

>         Stefan
>

> Akib Azmain Turja [2022-10-21 08:04:01] wrote:
>
>> I got the following form about seven month ago from this list.  Is this
>> form still up to date?

>> REQUEST: SEND FORM FOR PAST AND FUTURE CHANGES
>>
>> [What is the name of the program or package you're contributing to?]
>>
>> [Did you copy any files or text written by someone else in these changes?
>> Even if that material is free software, we need to know about it.]
>>
>> [Do you have an employer who might have a basis to claim to own
>> your changes?  Do you attend a school which might make such a claim?]
>>
>> [For the copyright registration, what country are you a citizen of?]
>>
>> [What year were you born?]
>>
>> [Please write your email address here.]
>>
>> [Please write your postal address here.]
>>
>> [Which files have you changed so far, and which new files have you written
>> so far?]
>>
>> And what's the answer of the last question?  I have some packages that I
>> intend to add to ELPA, should I include them too?

OK, but what about the changed and new files?

--

@ 2022-10-21  3:34     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2022-10-21  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akib Azmain Turja; +Cc: emacs-devel

> OK, but what about the changed and new files?

Doesn't matter very much, AFAIK, just use your best judgment (and
potentially add an explanation about your doubts: this will be read by
a human to decide what paperwork to send you).

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2022-10-21  7:44   ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2022-10-21  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, Akib Azmain Turja; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Yes.  AFAIK it hasn't changed much if at all for the last 20 years.
> Its purpose is to be a stable starting point, so the paperwork they send
> you in response can evolve as needed.

FWIW, coreutils don't have people ask on the mailing list about this,
they just have this note in their HACKING file:

  The forms to choose from are in gnulib's doc/Copyright/ directory.
  If you want to assign a single change, you should use the file,
  doc/Copyright/request-assign.changes:

      https://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/Copyright/request-assign.changes

  If you would like to assign past and future contributions to a project,
  you'd use doc/Copyright/request-assign.future:

      https://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/Copyright/request-assign.future

I think doing the same would save us some work and help cut down on the
noise on these lists.

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2022-10-21 11:32     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-10-21 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: monnier, akib, emacs-devel

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 00:44:01 -0700
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> FWIW, coreutils don't have people ask on the mailing list about this,
> they just have this note in their HACKING file:
>
>   The forms to choose from are in gnulib's doc/Copyright/ directory.
>   If you want to assign a single change, you should use the file,
>   doc/Copyright/request-assign.changes:
>
>       https://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/Copyright/request-assign.changes
>
>   If you would like to assign past and future contributions to a project,
>   you'd use doc/Copyright/request-assign.future:
>
>       https://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/Copyright/request-assign.future
>
> I think doing the same would save us some work and help cut down on the
> noise on these lists.

I'm not objected to having a copy of the assignment request in our
repository, but:

  . Someone(TM) should take up a job of making sure it is always
    up-to-date wrt the one the FSF copyright clerk expects;
  . we will still get requests about this, the only difference is that
    we will be able to point to the repository instead of sending it
    (I'm not sure which way is better for the person who asks about
    the form)

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2022-10-21 13:08       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2022-10-21 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Stefan Kangas, akib, emacs-devel

>>   The forms to choose from are in gnulib's doc/Copyright/ directory.
>>   If you want to assign a single change, you should use the file,
>>   doc/Copyright/request-assign.changes:
>>
>>       https://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/Copyright/request-assign.changes
>>
>>   If you would like to assign past and future contributions to a project,
>>   you'd use doc/Copyright/request-assign.future:
>>
>>       https://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/Copyright/request-assign.future

We could use that.  But we'd have to be extra careful to write in big
large letters in several places they have to say "Emacs" for the name of
the program/package, and not the name of the ELPA package they want
to contribute.

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2022-10-23 19:12 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2022-10-23 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akib Azmain Turja; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > And what's the answer of the last question?  I have some packages that I
  > intend to add to ELPA, should I include them too?

It can't hurt to mention them.

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2022-10-23 19:14     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2022-10-23 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: monnier, akib, emacs-devel

  > FWIW, coreutils don't have people ask on the mailing list about this,
  > they just have this note in their HACKING file:

  >   The forms to choose from are in gnulib's doc/Copyright/ directory.
  >   If you want to assign a single change, you should use the file,
  >   doc/Copyright/request-assign.changes:

That looks like the old way we used to do things, before we
developed the simpler way we have used for a decade or two.
So you're proposing two changes at once:

1. To publish in the Emacs distro a statement of what contributors
should do, and

2. To recommend the old way instead of the current way.

I think #1 is fine, but we should not do #2.

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2022-10-24  5:11   ` Akib Azmain Turja
From: Akib Azmain Turja @ 2022-10-24  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > And what's the answer of the last question?  I have some packages that I
>   > intend to add to ELPA, should I include them too?
>
> It can't hurt to mention them.

I have already sent the following and also got the paperwork, so I think
the following is enough:

* Changed eglot.el in Eglot package (now already in Emacs master
  branch).

* Changed src/term.c in Emacs (not completed yet, but I have already
  sent my in-progress patch to bug-gnu-emacs mailing list for feedback).

* New file corfu-mouse.el in Corfu package.

* And many more files that I intend to publish on GNU ELPA.  Some of
  them are already published on Codeberg and other sites, and some are
  still not published anywhere.

I don't think I need to send something more here, as they are personal
information.  For the complete form that I sent, contact FSF.

--

@ 2022-10-24  8:13       ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2022-10-24  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: monnier, akib, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > FWIW, coreutils don't have people ask on the mailing list about this,
>   > they just have this note in their HACKING file:
>
>   >   The forms to choose from are in gnulib's doc/Copyright/ directory.
>   >   If you want to assign a single change, you should use the file,
>   >   doc/Copyright/request-assign.changes:
>
> That looks like the old way we used to do things, before we
> developed the simpler way we have used for a decade or two.
> So you're proposing two changes at once:
>
> 1. To publish in the Emacs distro a statement of what contributors
> should do, and
>
> 2. To recommend the old way instead of the current way.
>
> I think #1 is fine, but we should not do #2.

Could you please explain what "the old way" and "the current way" is
in the above?

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2022-10-28 21:58     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2022-10-28 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akib Azmain Turja; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > I have already sent the following and also got the paperwork, so I think
  > the following is enough:

Probably so.

From: Richard Stallman @ 2022-10-28 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: monnier, akib, emacs-devel

  > >   >   The forms to choose from are in gnulib's doc/Copyright/ directory.
  > >   >   If you want to assign a single change, you should use the file,
  > >   >   doc/Copyright/request-assign.changes:
  > >
  > > That looks like the old way we used to do things, before we
  > > developed the simpler way we have used for a decade or two.

The old way was to tell contributors about various choices of which
form to use, and ask each contributor to figure out which one
was right for per case,  That led to confusion a substantial
fraction of the time.

The new way is to ask them for the crucial information
and have FSF staff tell each contributor which options apply
to per own case.  This avoids the confusion.

* Copyright Assignment
@ 2023-09-08 17:38 Mitch Kyle
From: Mitch Kyle @ 2023-09-08 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I'm looking for information on how to assign copyright to FSF for the sake
of this pull request. I'm a Canadian living in Canada.

https://github.com/ch11ng/exwm/pull/899

* Re: Copyright Assignment
@ 2023-09-08 18:55 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-09-08 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mitch Kyle; +Cc: emacs-devel

@ 2023-09-09 15:43 Axel Forsman
From: Axel Forsman @ 2023-09-09 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi:

I would like to sign some copyright assignment form of some form.
Where/how do I do that? I am in Sweden if that matters.

(The main reason being that I have written a package
that I believe is a good fit for GNU ELPA:
http://url8156.axelf.se/ls/click?upn=OEjhiLt4EQwBP7BMdu61cV4sca9Texj-2F9QlDxDS4hNBzphhZj1LqyzF7Mjuo7JxFTu0k_1I2drHf7TOM-2BFjFYSrHxnLAP9jSFTsULAwXlGneTUPJdKtJ1xS-2B5ZqNyLnAnmUKA0x6ctQ-2B44uSRxDz7aBJW-2B8To7r4MEjj2wJwGn6ZoyCFQDFM0GlKWhVNVfsdWf3ffeqLnVztm0oso5TvqZiDe6edsWfu3Q5NRX05yLYF2LDXwJX-2Bj3Ov-2B4Rwa45sYQuvpvAreshwDfJuj7kn8O8wzYA-3D-3D )

Thanks
Axel Forsman

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2023-09-09 16:06 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-09-09 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Axel Forsman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Axel Forsman <axel@axelf.se>
> Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2023 15:43:01 +0000 (UTC)
>
> Hi:
>
> I would like to sign some copyright assignment form of some form.
> Where/how do I do that? I am in Sweden if that matters.
>
> (The main reason being that I have written a package
> that I believe is a good fit for GNU ELPA:
> http://url8156.axelf.se/ls/click?upn=OEjhiLt4EQwBP7BMdu61cV4sca9Texj-2F9QlDxDS4hNBzphhZj1LqyzF7Mjuo7JxFTu0k_1I2drHf7TOM-2BFjFYSrHxnLAP9jSFTsULAwXlGneTUPJdKtJ1xS-2B5ZqNyLnAnmUKA0x6ctQ-2B44uSRxDz7aBJW-2B8To7r4MEjj2wJwGn6ZoyCFQDFM0GlKWhVNVfsdWf3ffeqLnVztm0oso5TvqZiDe6edsWfu3Q5NRX05yLYF2LDXwJX-2Bj3Ov-2B4Rwa45sYQuvpvAreshwDfJuj7kn8O8wzYA-3D-3D )

Thanks, I sent the CA form off list.

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2023-09-09 16:35 ` Eshel Yaron
From: Eshel Yaron @ 2023-09-09 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Axel Forsman; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hello Axel,

> (The main reason being that I have written a package
> that I believe is a good fit for GNU ELPA:
> [derl.el])

This looks interesting, but I think I spot a subtle (albeit classic) bug:
It seems that you define a bidirectional conversion between Elisp and
Erlang, without taking into account the ambiguity of nil in Elisp.
Namely, in Elisp, the empty list is a symbol.  Your conversion maps
Erlang atoms to Elisp symbols, and AFAICT it will happily map the atom
nil to the symbol nil, while in the other direction (Elisp to Erlang),
nil is mapped to the empty list.  That means that the Erlang improper
list [foo|nil] maps to the proper Elisp list (foo) which then maps to
the proper Erlang list [foo].

If you know for sure that you don't have any nil atoms coming from your
Erlang code, that shouldn't be a problem.  But in general it might lead
to surprising results.

Best,

Eshel

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2023-09-09 18:00   ` Axel Forsman
From: Axel Forsman @ 2023-09-09 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eshel Yaron; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eshel Yaron <me@eshelyaron.com> writes:

> Your conversion maps
> Erlang atoms to Elisp symbols, and AFAICT it will happily map the atom
> nil to the symbol nil, while in the other direction (Elisp to Erlang),
> nil is mapped to the empty list.  That means that the Erlang improper
> list [foo|nil] maps to the proper Elisp list (foo) which then maps to
> the proper Erlang list [foo].

Yup, I am aware that this is something that will have to be fixed eventually.
However, for now I do not foresee it being too much of a problem in practice,
since, in my experience, nil is not used as an atom much
in favor of undefined/false/error/etc.

Thanks for taking a look
Axel

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2023-09-09 18:57     ` Eshel Yaron
From: Eshel Yaron @ 2023-09-09 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Axel Forsman; +Cc: emacs-devel

Axel Forsman <axel@axelf.se> writes:

> Eshel Yaron <me@eshelyaron.com> writes:
>
>> Your conversion maps Erlang atoms to Elisp symbols, and AFAICT it
>> will happily map the atom nil to the symbol nil, while in the other
>> direction (Elisp to Erlang), nil is mapped to the empty list.  That
>> means that the Erlang improper list [foo|nil] maps to the proper
>> Elisp list (foo) which then maps to the proper Erlang list [foo].
>
> Yup, I am aware that this is something that will have to be fixed
> eventually.  However, for now I do not foresee it being too much of a
> problem in practice, since, in my experience, nil is not used as an
> atom much in favor of undefined/false/error/etc.

Yes, it's probably used less often than those other atoms, but it's
definitely in use: there are quite some uses of the atom nil in the core
Erlang/OTP distribution, as well as in the main Elixir repo, for example.

The problem is that any code that uses the atom nil, whether knowingly
or unknowingly, would potentially run into some tricky issues if it were
to communicate with Emacs via this library.  I think that it's also a
bit hard to fix in a backwards-compatible manner, so I wonder if you
have anything in particular in mind for that eventual fix.  If it's
fixed but it's not backwards-compatible, then any Elisp code that would
rely on this library to communicate with Erlang might have to be
adjusted, for instance because the representation of atoms/symbols would
have to change.

> Thanks for taking a look
> Axel

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2023-09-11 17:38       ` Axel Forsman
From: Axel Forsman @ 2023-09-11 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eshel Yaron; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eshel Yaron <me@eshelyaron.com> writes:

> Yes, it's probably used less often than those other atoms, but it's
> definitely in use: there are quite some uses of the atom nil in the core
> Erlang/OTP distribution, as well as in the main Elixir repo, for example.

(Many uses in OTP are for using an atom to indicate [],
or will not otherwise be returned from RPC calls in normal usage.
But it is a poor excuse for not fixing the caveat.)

> The problem is that any code that uses the atom nil, whether knowingly
> or unknowingly, would potentially run into some tricky issues if it were
> to communicate with Emacs via this library.  I think that it's also a
> bit hard to fix in a backwards-compatible manner, so I wonder if you
> have anything in particular in mind for that eventual fix.  If it's
> fixed but it's not backwards-compatible, then any Elisp code that would
> rely on this library to communicate with Erlang might have to be
> adjusted, for instance because the representation of atoms/symbols would
> have to change.

I pushed the fix I had in mind in commit df6d8a7 [1].
It would also be neat to make the representation configurable,
similar to what most JSON libraries in dynamically-typed languages do,
but that is very low on my list of priorities.

[1]: http://url8156.axelf.se/ls/click?upn=OEjhiLt4EQwBP7BMdu61cV4sca9Texj-2F9QlDxDS4hNAJQRktQfhHyVAjxWE-2BxYhD6rzUsQ-2FhslJnmq6RI2SMvRnuyJ-2FNrEFQELYje065Rxl-2FgrssbC-2BOXwN22MiOjir-2Fp2UQ_1I2drHf7TOM-2BFjFYSrHxnLAP9jSFTsULAwXlGneTUPL4uZsQNqQtWWrZN-2Bl8JiQSq9wapel4vlP7IOIPq4cZmME5x8VXuna0nj7xxySKqYB6S3FsLUceFImsD-2FDvpzUOb7PJrWF7n7-2BtnzBBogLzTds9oBy7seiURzURMAhmI38IR-2BDY2vMjYFz-2Bl2VTTq0JTrGDlIkBvo5sYkQYW7aHlw-3D-3D

/Axel

* Copyright Assignment
@ 2023-10-02 12:11 Jinyi Xian
From: Jinyi Xian @ 2023-10-02 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi

I want to contribute to an elpa package (org-notify) and would like to
make a copyright assignment.

I will appreciate your help.

Kind regards,

Jinyi

* Re: Copyright Assignment
@ 2023-10-02 16:21 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-10-02 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Jinyi Xian wrote:

> I want to contribute to an elpa package (org-notify) and
> would like to make a copyright assignment.
>
> I will appreciate your help.

Good question, I got a mail "Tarball build failure for
wrap-search" which seems to boil down to

  Missing copyright notice in wrap-search/wrap-search.el

Maybe you should just add

;; Copyright: J Hacker (1997)

to the headers?

I think looking at how other people do it is probably the way
to find out. Okay, I'm on it ...

If you refer to the signing of a document, they should mail
you and using a PDF overlay it can be solved digitally.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Copyright Assignment
@ 2023-10-02 16:28 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-10-02 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jinyi Xian; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Jinyi Xian <kylerky@live.com>
> Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2023 20:11:02 +0800
>
> Hi
>
> I want to contribute to an elpa package (org-notify) and would like to
> make a copyright assignment.
>
> I will appreciate your help.

Thanks, form sent off-list.

* Re: Copyright Assignment
@ 2023-10-02 16:33   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-10-02 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org>
> Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2023 18:21:08 +0200
>
> Jinyi Xian wrote:
>
> > I want to contribute to an elpa package (org-notify) and
> > would like to make a copyright assignment.
> >
> > I will appreciate your help.
>
> Good question, I got a mail "Tarball build failure for
> wrap-search" which seems to boil down to
>
>   Missing copyright notice in wrap-search/wrap-search.el
>
> Maybe you should just add
>
> ;; Copyright: J Hacker (1997)
>
> to the headers?
>
> I think looking at how other people do it is probably the way
> to find out. Okay, I'm on it ...
>
> If you refer to the signing of a document, they should mail
> you and using a PDF overlay it can be solved digitally.

This is all completely unrelated to the OP's request.

* Re: Copyright Assignment
@ 2023-10-02 22:18     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-10-02 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Good question, I got a mail "Tarball build failure for
>> wrap-search" which seems to boil down to
>>
>>   Missing copyright notice in wrap-search/wrap-search.el
>>
>> Maybe you should just add
>>
>> ;; Copyright: J Hacker (1997)
>>
>> to the headers?
>>
>> I think looking at how other people do it is probably the way
>> to find out. Okay, I'm on it ... [...]
>
> This is all completely unrelated to the OP's request.

If I'm allowed to change the subject then, for GNU ELPA one
needs

;; Copyright (C) 2023 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

as well as

;; This file is part of GNU Emacs.
;;
;; GNU Emacs is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
;; it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
;; the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
;; (at your option) any later version.
;;
;; GNU Emacs is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
;; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
;;
;; along with GNU Emacs.  If not, see <https://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

Don't indent that BTW! If you do the folding doesn't work with
`elide-head-mode'.

Also, after getting the error from GNU ELPA that I reported
one should, apart from adding those two things, increment the
version number so that ELPA will notice and compile the new
version changes.

The error message I got in a mail was clear for me to, after
several days of not thinking about it, figure out the problem.
But it could be more clear, possibly hyperlinking to or
even including a boilerplate GNU ELPA package file to show
exactly how it should look.

I managed to solve it by looking at/in sml-mode.el which
I already had from GNU ELPA, but it was a close call, and
anywhere below that on the cognitive scale - for me
personally, or inside another person - I suppose one would
have been completely incomprehensive as to what it was that
was suppose to happen. Oh ye humanity!

--

@ 2023-12-13 21:45       ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2023-12-13 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
>> Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 00:44:01 -0700
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> FWIW, coreutils don't have people ask on the mailing list about this,
>> they just have this note in their HACKING file:
>>
>>   The forms to choose from are in gnulib's doc/Copyright/ directory.
>>   If you want to assign a single change, you should use the file,
>>   doc/Copyright/request-assign.changes:
>>
>>       https://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/Copyright/request-assign.changes
>>
>>   If you would like to assign past and future contributions to a project,
>>   you'd use doc/Copyright/request-assign.future:
>>
>>       https://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/Copyright/request-assign.future
>>
>> I think doing the same would save us some work and help cut down on the
>> noise on these lists.
>
> I'm not objected to having a copy of the assignment request in our
> repository, but:

I'm coming back to this a year later, but does the below patch look
okay?  Note that the new etc/copyright-assign.txt file is simply an
exact copy of request-assign.future from Gnulib.

>   . Someone(TM) should take up a job of making sure it is always
>     up-to-date wrt the one the FSF copyright clerk expects;

True.  So I've now added it to the file synchronization script that I
already use for etc/publicsuffix.txt.

I'll add that script to emacs.git when I can find some time, to decrease
the bus factor.

>   . we will still get requests about this, the only difference is that
>     we will be able to point to the repository instead of sending it
>     (I'm not sure which way is better for the person who asks about
>     the form)

I think it's okay to still send the form if someone asks.  Hopefully
we'll get fewer of those, which is one less thing to think of for us.

[-- Attachment #3: 0001-Include-copyright-assignment-form-in-repository.patch --]
[-- Type: text/x-diff, Size: 6232 bytes --]

From 01f4104f44793297b925086549e94b96a77fa000 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 22:22:08 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] Include copyright assignment form in repository

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> pointed out, when he updated CONTRIBUTE:

    "The vast majority of the exchanges on this topic are 'please send
    me the form; ok I sent you the form', and there's no need to
    involve a mailing list for that."

* etc/copyright-assign.txt: New file, copied verbatim from
https://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/Copyright/request-assign.changes
* doc/emacs/trouble.texi (Copyright Assignment):
* etc/TODO: Point users to above new file instead of asking on the
mailing listed.
---
 CONTRIBUTE               | 12 ++++++------
 doc/emacs/trouble.texi   | 16 ++++++++--------
 etc/TODO                 | 16 ++++++++++------
 etc/copyright-assign.txt | 36 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 create mode 100644 etc/copyright-assign.txt

diff --git a/CONTRIBUTE b/CONTRIBUTE
index 68c41638942..4cfe9fb27fb 100644
--- a/CONTRIBUTE
+++ b/CONTRIBUTE
@@ -75,12 +75,12 @@ the copyright for your contributions.  (To see how many lines were
 non-trivially changed, count only added and modified lines in the
 patched code.  Consider an added or changed line non-trivial if it
 includes at least one identifier, string, or substantial comment.)
-In most cases, to start the assignment process you should download
-https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/plain/doc/Copyright/request-assign.future
-and return the completed information to the address at the top.
-(There are other assignment options, but they are much less commonly used.)
-If you have questions about the assignment process, you can ask the
-address listed on the form, and/or emacs-devel@gnu.org.
+In most cases, to start the assignment process, see the form in the
+file etc/copyright-assign.txt, and return the completed information to
+the address at the top.  (There are other assignment options, but they
+are much less commonly used.)  If you have questions about the
+assignment process, you can ask the address listed on the form, and/or
+emacs-devel@gnu.org.

 ** Issue tracker (a.k.a. "bug tracker")

diff --git a/doc/emacs/trouble.texi b/doc/emacs/trouble.texi
index 3a43203619b..f09f77b8bca 100644
--- a/doc/emacs/trouble.texi
+++ b/doc/emacs/trouble.texi
@@ -1540,14 +1540,14 @@ Copyright Assignment
 @url{https://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.html}.

 Copyright assignment is a simple process.  Residents of many countries
-can do it entirely electronically.  We can help you get started,
-including sending you the forms you should fill, and answer any
-questions you may have (or point you to the people with the answers),
-at the @email{emacs-devel@@gnu.org} mailing list.
-
-(Please note: general discussion about why some GNU projects ask
-for a copyright assignment is off-topic for emacs-devel.
-See gnu-misc-discuss instead.)
+can do it entirely electronically.  To get started, follow the
+instructions in the file @file{etc/copyright-assign.txt} in the Emacs
+distribution.  We can and answer any questions you may have (or point
+you to the people with the answers), at the
+@email{emacs-devel@@gnu.org} mailing list.@footnote{Please note:
+general discussion about why some GNU projects ask for a copyright
+assignment is off-topic for @samp{emacs-devel}.  See
+@samp{gnu-misc-discuss} instead.}

 A copyright disclaimer is also a possibility, but we prefer an assignment.
 Note that the disclaimer, like an assignment, involves you sending
diff --git a/etc/TODO b/etc/TODO
index d2d124c9c8e..f08279f1495 100644
--- a/etc/TODO
+++ b/etc/TODO
@@ -11,12 +11,16 @@ it best.  Also to check that it hasn't been done already, since we
 don't always remember to update this file!  It is best to consult
 the latest version of this file in the Emacs source code repository.

-Since Emacs is an FSF-copyrighted package, please be prepared to sign
-legal papers to transfer the copyright on your work to the FSF.
-Copyright assignment is a simple process.  Residents of some countries
-can do it entirely electronically.  We can help you get started, and
-answer any questions you may have (or point you to the people with the
-answers), at the emacs-devel@gnu.org mailing list.
+Generally speaking, for non-trivial contributions to GNU Emacs and
+packages stored in GNU ELPA, we require that the copyright be assigned
+to the Free Software Foundation.  For the reasons behind this, see:
+https://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-assign.html
+
+Copyright assignment is a simple process.  Residents of many countries
+can do it entirely electronically.  To get started, follow the
+instructions in the file etc/copyright-assign.txt in the Emacs
+distribution.  We can answer any questions you may have (or point you to
+the people with the answers), at the emacs-devel@gnu.org mailing list.

 For more information about getting involved, see the CONTRIBUTE file.

diff --git a/etc/copyright-assign.txt b/etc/copyright-assign.txt
new file mode 100644
index 00000000000..e1184a64d57
--- /dev/null
+++ b/etc/copyright-assign.txt
@@ -0,0 +1,36 @@

@ 2023-12-14 19:57         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-12-14 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 13:45:19 -0800
> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > I'm not objected to having a copy of the assignment request in our
> > repository, but:
>
> I'm coming back to this a year later, but does the below patch look
> okay?  Note that the new etc/copyright-assign.txt file is simply an
> exact copy of request-assign.future from Gnulib.

Thanks, but what about the two issues I mentioned after the "but"
above?  How will we tackle them?  At least the first seems a real
problem to me.

Basically, I guess I'm questioning the wisdom of this change: what
will it gain us?

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2023-12-14 20:09       ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2023-12-14 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, Stefan Kangas; +Cc: monnier, akib, emacs-devel

On 21/10/2022 14:32, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>    . we will still get requests about this, the only difference is that
>      we will be able to point to the repository instead of sending it
>      (I'm not sure which way is better for the person who asks about
>      the form)

Somebody else (e.g. a maintainer on some package on ELPA) would be able
to skip a step or two and send would-be contributors a link to the
repository.

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2023-12-14 20:28         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-12-14 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: stefankangas, monnier, akib, emacs-devel

> Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 22:09:02 +0200
> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, akib@disroot.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev>
>
> On 21/10/2022 14:32, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >    . we will still get requests about this, the only difference is that
> >      we will be able to point to the repository instead of sending it
> >      (I'm not sure which way is better for the person who asks about
> >      the form)
>
> Somebody else (e.g. a maintainer on some package on ELPA) would be able
> to skip a step or two and send would-be contributors a link to the
> repository.

And they are unable to do that today? why not?

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2023-12-14 20:32           ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2023-12-14 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Thanks, but what about the two issues I mentioned after the "but"
> above?  How will we tackle them?  At least the first seems a real
> problem to me.

I believe that I replied to that below the patch.  Can you find it?
If not, I will resend it.

Sorry for any confusion.

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2023-12-14 20:36           ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2023-12-14 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: monnier, akib, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 22:09:02 +0200
>> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, akib@disroot.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> From: Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev>
>>
>> On 21/10/2022 14:32, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> >    . we will still get requests about this, the only difference is that
>> >      we will be able to point to the repository instead of sending it
>> >      (I'm not sure which way is better for the person who asks about
>> >      the form)
>>
>> Somebody else (e.g. a maintainer on some package on ELPA) would be able
>> to skip a step or two and send would-be contributors a link to the
>> repository.
>
> And they are unable to do that today? why not?

I suspect that most of them wouldn't know where to find it.

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2023-12-14 21:41           ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2023-12-14 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: stefankangas, monnier, akib, emacs-devel

On 14/12/2023 22:28, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 22:09:02 +0200
>> Cc:monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,akib@disroot.org,emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> From: Dmitry Gutov<dmitry@gutov.dev>
>>
>> On 21/10/2022 14:32, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>>     . we will still get requests about this, the only difference is that
>>>       we will be able to point to the repository instead of sending it
>>>       (I'm not sure which way is better for the person who asks about
>>>       the form)
>> Somebody else (e.g. a maintainer on some package on ELPA) would be able
>> to skip a step or two and send would-be contributors a link to the
>> repository.
> And they are unable to do that today? why not?

I've done this many times, but it never really felt like the "right
thing to do" since it's not the documented course of action, more like a
quick hack that happens to work by imitation.

Until our policy changes and we start asking for more (or different)
info, while Org's version of that file in the repository gets outdated.

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2023-12-14 22:09             ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2023-12-14 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov, Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: monnier, akib, emacs-devel

Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> writes:

> Org's version of that file in the repository gets outdated.

What does this refer to?

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2023-12-14 22:12               ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2023-12-14 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas, Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: monnier, akib, emacs-devel

On 15/12/2023 00:09, Stefan Kangas wrote:
> Dmitry Gutov<dmitry@gutov.dev>  writes:
>
>> Org's version of that file in the repository gets outdated.
> What does this refer to?

This is the link I'd been using:

https://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/plain/request-assign-future.txt

(Yeah, it's broken now.)

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2023-12-15  6:27             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-12-15  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 12:32:57 -0800
> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Thanks, but what about the two issues I mentioned after the "but"
> > above?  How will we tackle them?  At least the first seems a real
> > problem to me.
>
> I believe that I replied to that below the patch.  Can you find it?
> If not, I will resend it.

Maybe I'm confused or something, but I see nothing in your message
with the patch that follows the patch itself, not additional text.
What did I miss?

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2023-12-15  6:36             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-12-15  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: dmitry, monnier, akib, emacs-devel

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 12:36:46 -0800
> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, akib@disroot.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 22:09:02 +0200
> >> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, akib@disroot.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> >> From: Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev>

> >> Somebody else (e.g. a maintainer on some package on ELPA) would be able
> >> to skip a step or two and send would-be contributors a link to the
> >> repository.
> >
> > And they are unable to do that today? why not?
>
> I suspect that most of them wouldn't know where to find it.

That would be a one-time issue: they ask once, and then they know.

The fact that it's in our repository is also something they could "not
know".

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2023-12-15  6:45             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-12-15  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: stefankangas, monnier, akib, emacs-devel

> Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 23:41:38 +0200
> Cc: stefankangas@gmail.com, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, akib@disroot.org,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev>
>
> On 14/12/2023 22:28, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> Somebody else (e.g. a maintainer on some package on ELPA) would be able
> >> to skip a step or two and send would-be contributors a link to the
> >> repository.
> > And they are unable to do that today? why not?
>
> I've done this many times, but it never really felt like the "right
> thing to do" since it's not the documented course of action, more like a
> quick hack that happens to work by imitation.

I'm not sure I understand.  What we have now _is_ documented: see the
parts of Stefan's patch that modify the relevant areas of our
documentation.  So what is not documented now, and how the proposed
changes will change that?

> Until our policy changes and we start asking for more (or different)
> info, while Org's version of that file in the repository gets outdated.

Sorry, I didn't understand this part and its relevance.

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2023-12-15 13:00               ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2023-12-15 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: stefankangas, monnier, akib, emacs-devel

On 15/12/2023 08:45, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 23:41:38 +0200
>> Cc:stefankangas@gmail.com,monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,akib@disroot.org,
>>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> From: Dmitry Gutov<dmitry@gutov.dev>

>>> And they are unable to do that today? why not?
>> I've done this many times, but it never really felt like the "right
>> thing to do" since it's not the documented course of action, more like a
>> quick hack that happens to work by imitation.
> I'm not sure I understand.  What we have now_is_  documented: see the
> parts of Stefan's patch that modify the relevant areas of our
> documentation.  So what is not documented now, and how the proposed
> changes will change that?

Sorry, you are right.

I saw that change when it was added, but then, when the responses on the
mailing list continued to say "form sent off-list" and not pointing to
the gnulib URL, its existence slipped my mind.

Looking at the patch again, I suppose one advantage we could add is
pre-filling the answer to the first question (what is the name of the
program) -- this is relevant to the ELPA maintainers in particular
because one has to repeat every time that the respondent should just say
"Emacs", every time. But your concern #1 is valid, of course.

Stefan's patch also updates trouble.texi with more direct advice, in
addition the current pointer to emacs-devel.

So if we decide not to adopt the patch in its entirety, we could still
alter trouble.texi to point at Gnulib's request-assign.changes.

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2023-12-16 23:01               ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2023-12-16 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
>> Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 12:32:57 -0800
>> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>> > Thanks, but what about the two issues I mentioned after the "but"
>> > above?  How will we tackle them?  At least the first seems a real
>> > problem to me.
>>
>> I believe that I replied to that below the patch.  Can you find it?
>> If not, I will resend it.
>
> Maybe I'm confused or something, but I see nothing in your message
> with the patch that follows the patch itself, not additional text.
> What did I miss?

I can see it locally, but in the gnu.org archives it's in an attached
text file.  So I think there's something going on with my mail setup
that I'll have to look into.  Thanks for letting me know.

@ 2023-12-17  7:43                 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-12-17  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 15:01:15 -0800
> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> >   . Someone(TM) should take up a job of making sure it is always
> >     up-to-date wrt the one the FSF copyright clerk expects;
>
> True.  So I've now added it to the file synchronization script that I
> already use for etc/publicsuffix.txt.

That's fine, but then this job (including editing the master copy to
specify "Emacs") depends on you and your jobs functioning.

> I'll add that script to emacs.git when I can find some time, to decrease
> the bus factor.
>
> >   . we will still get requests about this, the only difference is that
> >     we will be able to point to the repository instead of sending it
> >     (I'm not sure which way is better for the person who asks about
> >     the form)
>
> I think it's okay to still send the form if someone asks.  Hopefully
> we'll get fewer of those, which is one less thing to think of for us.

Somehow I doubt that.  But I guess we shall see.

* Copyright assignment
@ 2023-12-31  9:53 Slava Akhmechet
From: Slava Akhmechet @ 2023-12-31  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Felician Nemeth

Hello, I'd like to start a copyright assignment process as described in the manual. Could someone please send me copyright assignment forms?

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Copyright-Assignment.html

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2023-12-31 10:27 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-12-31 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Slava Akhmechet; +Cc: emacs-devel, felician.nemeth

@ 2023-12-31 10:29 ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2023-12-31 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Slava Akhmechet, emacs-devel; +Cc: Felician Nemeth

@ 2024-02-02 18:35 Kai Ma
From: Kai Ma @ 2024-02-02 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Dear maintainers,

I expect to spend some time working on Emacs and hopefully upstream my patches (of course, if people want them).  Therefore, I’m humbly requesting to start the copyright assignment process.  Thanks!

Best regards,
Kai

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2024-02-02 19:26 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-02-02 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Ma; +Cc: emacs-devel

@ 2024-02-02 19:40   ` Kai Ma
From: Kai Ma @ 2024-02-02 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

> On Feb 3, 2024, at 03:26, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> From: Kai Ma <justksqsf@gmail.com>
>> Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 02:35:34 +0800
>>
>> Dear maintainers,
>>
>> I expect to spend some time working on Emacs and hopefully upstream my patches (of course, if people want them).  Therefore, I’m humbly requesting to start the copyright assignment process.  Thanks!
>
> Thanks, form sent off-list.

Thank you! :)

* Copyright assignment
@ 2024-02-05 21:29 Petter Sakrihei Storvik
From: Petter Sakrihei Storvik @ 2024-02-05 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I'm looking to contribute to a package available in ELPA. Can someone send me the forms I have to sign and maybe some instructions on how to proceed? Sorry if this info is available online, I can not seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks in advance!
--

Med vennlig hilsen / Kind regards
Petter Sakrihei Storvik

Phone: +47 958 83 676
E-mail: petterstorvik@gmail.com

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2024-02-06  3:31 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-02-06  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petter Sakrihei Storvik; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 22:29:04 +0100 (GMT+01:00)
> From: Petter Sakrihei Storvik <petterstorvik@gmail.com>
>
> I'm looking to contribute to a package available in ELPA. Can someone send me the forms I have to sign and
> maybe some instructions on how to proceed? Sorry if this info is available online, I can not seem to find it
> anywhere.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Thanks, form sent off-list.

* Copyright assignment
@ 2024-03-27  3:23 Artem Yurchenko
From: Artem Yurchenko @ 2024-03-27  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello,

I would like to contribute to AUCTeX and GNU/Emacs. How should I proceed wrt the copyright assignment?

Best,
Artem

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2024-03-27 12:53 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-03-27 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Artem Yurchenko; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 23:23:39 -0400
> From: Artem Yurchenko <artemyurchenko@zoho.com>
>
> Hello,
>
> I would like to contribute to AUCTeX and GNU/Emacs. How should I proceed wrt the copyright assignment?

Thanks, I sent the instructions off-list.

* Copyright assignment
@ 2024-03-28 17:33 Pedro Morais
From: Pedro Morais @ 2024-03-28 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello,

I made a contribution to one of the repositories from Adam Porter. He asked
me to request the document for Copyright Assignment from you,

Can someone please instruct me what and how should I proceed?

Thanks,

Pedro

* Re: Copyright assignment
@ 2024-03-28 19:03 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-03-28 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Morais; +Cc: emacs-devel

@ 2024-04-23 15:20 Forty Five
From: Forty Five @ 2024-04-23 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello,

I would like to start the copyright assignment process.

* Re: Copyright Assignment
@ 2024-04-23 15:35 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-04-23 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Forty Five; +Cc: emacs-devel