* Re: w32-pass-lwindow-to-system does not work as expected
@ 2005-07-06  8:36 LENNART BORGMAN
From: LENNART BORGMAN @ 2005-07-06  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

From: Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org>

> You also need to remove the hook whenever Emacs crashes. That is more
> difficult, and the reason why I would be reluctant to start playing

Yes, that is very important I guess. Are there not any exception handlers capable of handling this in Emacs?

> If my reading of the docs is correct, this will prevent Emacs from
> seeing lwindow keys altogether. If you return true from a low level
> keyboard hook, you must handle the key inside the hook. Since you want
> to use lwindow as a modifier key, you'll then need to handle all the
> keys that it modifies in the hook as well, and you'll end up doing all
> your own keyboard mapping, as Eli said.

Eh, thanks, forgot to send it on. Argumenting is not always easy when you get much resistance.

As I said earlier this could perhaps be done with a private message that is the equivalence of WM_KEYDOWN for just <lwindow>. But maybe then the modifiers must be handled as well?

Could the message instead just be repackaged and sent on to the emacs keyboard thread for <lwindow>? Does that interfere with message order if SendMessage is used?

* w32-pass-lwindow-to-system does not work as expected
@ 2005-07-05 19:14 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-07-05 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

When discussing AltGr I noticed that w32-pass-lwindow-to-system probably
does not due what the author intended. The documentation is correct, no
Start Menu is opened if the variable is nil. However I would believe
that the author wanted to use this key in Emacs. It is however still not
possible, the key is tighed to Explorer still.

To overcome this a low level keyboard hook must be used. A good starting
point summary is found at
http://www.codeproject.com/win32/AntonioWinLock.asp. Look under subtitle
"Hooks".

This is of course applicable to the rwindow counterpart too. This also
applies to the function w32-register-hot-key which is not able to
register hot keys for those keys because they are already registered by
Explorer.

I think the variables and the function should be either removed or the
behavior corrected.