From: Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com>
Cc: Emacs Devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: w32-pass-lwindow-to-system does not work as expected
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 00:17:16 +0200	[thread overview]

On 7/5/05, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> wrote:

>   Non-nil if the left "Windows" key is passed on to Windows.
>   When non-nil, the Start menu is opened by tapping the key.
>
> The first sentence is wrong. The second is correct.

I don't see. When the variable is non-nil, Emacs does not pass the
lwindow key to Windows. Windows grabs it at a lower level; that's
unrelated to what Emacs does or says it does.

> Perhaps there is not much need because users on ms windows may find that
> this does not work as expected (after much work) and then decide that it
> does not seem as Emacs work as documented. Then they leave to other
> options. (A story many times told - I believe I have seen such cases.)

I've seen that too. But in this case, and speaking from my experience
only, I tested it, quickly discovered that some keys where always
intercepted by Windows, and happily started using the ones that it
didn't grab. Most users don't read docs, but the ones that do usually
are able to do a little experimenting, don't you think?

> Then I
> could access the menu as in other w32 programs (and that is certainly a
> something a novice user expects). So there could be request for it, I
> believe.

There could be, yes. I was pointing out that there *is not*, so
changing the keyboard code at this moment for a not-clear, not-so-big
gain seems, to my admittedly uninformed opinion, unwise.

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u