From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se>
Cc: Emacs Devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: w32-pass-lwindow-to-system does not work as expected
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 22:06:08 +0200	[thread overview]

Juanma Barranquero wrote:

>Well, certainly your claim that `w32-pass-lwindow-to-system' does not
>work as documented is just wrong. It does. The fact that Windows
>reclaims some of these bindings is another matter altogether, and yes,
>perhaps it could be circumvented (not "fixed", unless you're talking
>of fixing Windows) via a keyboard hook. I would recommend against it,
>at this moment. This would be new, low level code, to fix a misfeature
>of Windows, and there seem to be no much user request for it.

I think it is wrong. The documentation says:

   w32-pass-lwindow-to-system's value is nil

  Non-nil if the left "Windows" key is passed on to Windows.
  When non-nil, the Start menu is opened by tapping the key.

The first sentence is wrong. The second is correct.

Perhaps there is not much need because users on ms windows may find that
this does not work as expected (after much work) and then decide that it
does not seem as Emacs work as documented. Then they leave to other
options. (A story many times told - I believe I have seen such cases.)

I tried to use <lwindow> for Meta because that would be nice. Then I
could access the menu as in other w32 programs (and that is certainly a
something a novice user expects). So there could be request for it, I
believe.