emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* stable org-plus-contrib
@ 2017-05-10 21:06 Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2017-05-10 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I would like to use some of the packages in org-plus-contrib. So, I've
added orgmode's ELPA archive. But I find being on the bleeding edge a
little buggy.

As far as I can see, there is no "stable" ELPA package archive, so I
have to fall back installation from git. This seems somewhat backward to
me; installing stable with git, an unstable from package.el.

Is there any way of getting stable Org that I am missing?

Phil

* Re: stable org-plus-contrib
@ 2017-05-10 21:23 ` Michael Alan Dorman
From: Michael Alan Dorman @ 2017-05-10 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

phillip.lord@russet.org.uk (Phillip Lord) writes:
> I would like to use some of the packages in org-plus-contrib. So, I've
> added orgmode's ELPA archive. But I find being on the bleeding edge a
> little buggy.
>
> As far as I can see, there is no "stable" ELPA package archive, so I
> have to fall back installation from git. This seems somewhat backward to
> me; installing stable with git, an unstable from package.el.
>
> Is there any way of getting stable Org that I am missing?

FWIW, the versions in the org ELPA repository, though date-versioned,
appear to only be generated for tagged versions.

Mike.

* Re: stable org-plus-contrib
@ 2017-05-11 12:19   ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2017-05-11 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Alan Dorman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman@jaunder.io> writes:

> phillip.lord@russet.org.uk (Phillip Lord) writes:
>> I would like to use some of the packages in org-plus-contrib. So, I've
>> added orgmode's ELPA archive. But I find being on the bleeding edge a
>> little buggy.
>>
>> As far as I can see, there is no "stable" ELPA package archive, so I
>> have to fall back installation from git. This seems somewhat backward to
>> me; installing stable with git, an unstable from package.el.
>>
>> Is there any way of getting stable Org that I am missing?
>
> FWIW, the versions in the org ELPA repository, though date-versioned,
> appear to only be generated for tagged versions.

Really? That's rather confusing. So, it means that a bug here is a bug
in a release version?

Phil

* Re: stable org-plus-contrib
@ 2017-05-11 13:00     ` Kaushal Modi
       [not found]       ` <WM!95bbd6ceb481aab8cbf3d9262552b21760c689d7c35d9f4edb8a929f7d2fab7d73a59723c5b82ea98c7e402a4dc4e7e6!@mailhub-mx5.ncl.ac.uk>
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-05-11 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord, Michael Alan Dorman; +Cc: emacs-org list

On Thu, May 11, 2017, 8:20 AM Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
wrote:

> Really? That's rather confusing. So, it means that a bug here is a bug
> in a release version?

Well, a bug's not a bug till it is seen :)

What is the buggy behavior that you find in the Elpa version?

Simply put, the Melpa version has the latest weekly cut from the maint
branch (minus the contrib packages), the org Elpa version is the same but
with contrib packages. So those are stable versions. If one finds a bug in
those, then they get fixed when reported.

New big features get added to the master (devel) branch.

That said, I have been using the master branch as my daily driver for over
a year. As of now I don't see any bug that affects my workflow.

> --

Kaushal Modi

* Re: stable org-plus-contrib
@ 2017-05-11 13:20         ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2017-05-11 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: Michael Alan Dorman, emacs-org list

Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, May 11, 2017, 8:20 AM Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
> wrote:
>

>> Really? That's rather confusing. So, it means that a bug here is a bug
>> in a release version?
>>

> Well, a bug's not a bug till it is seen :)
>
> What is the buggy behavior that you find in the Elpa version?

I'm afraid that I didn't note them carefully enough to report. I just
assumed I was on a unstable version. I can cope with being on an
something unstable in general, but don't really have the time to do this
for org also.

> Simply put, the Melpa version has the latest weekly cut from the maint
> branch (minus the contrib packages), the org Elpa version is the same but
> with contrib packages. So those are stable versions. If one finds a bug in
> those, then they get fixed when reported.

Okay, so the last point release with bug fixes? It should be version
9.0 essentially?

> New big features get added to the master (devel) branch.
>
> That said, I have been using the master branch as my daily driver for over
> a year. As of now I don't see any bug that affects my workflow.

Well, you'd probably fix it if there was:-)

Phil

* Re: stable org-plus-contrib
@ 2017-05-11 13:50           ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-05-11 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord; +Cc: Michael Alan Dorman, emacs-org list

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 9:20 AM Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
wrote:

> Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:

I'm afraid that I didn't note them carefully enough to report. I just
> assumed I was on a unstable version.

Stable or not, a bug report would be always welcome.. that will help the
unstable become stable :)

I can cope with being on an
> something unstable in general, but don't really have the time to do this
> for org also.

I can understand that, but really the master branch hasn't been that
"unstable" for me.

> Okay, so the last point release with bug fixes? It should be version
> 9.0 essentially?

It's the latest stable release (not necessarily a point release) plus bug
fixes. The latest release as of today is 9.0.6 (
http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/log/?h=maint ).

> New big features get added to the master (devel) branch.
> >
> > That said, I have been using the master branch as my daily driver for
> over
> > a year. As of now I don't see any bug that affects my workflow.
>
> Well, you'd probably fix it if there was:-)

Well, most of the times, I just report them. The org dev community is very
active and a reported bug usually gets fixed in a day or two.
--

Kaushal Modi

* Re: stable org-plus-contrib
@ 2017-05-14  7:44             ` Michael Welle
From: Michael Welle @ 2017-05-14  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:
[...]
> Well, most of the times, I just report them. The org dev community is very
> active and a reported bug usually gets fixed in a day or two.
yes, that's true. The 'core developers' and all the others, developers
as well as users, do an amazing job and invest a lot of time in Org. I
often take that for granted and forget to thank them. So, thank you for
making my life better with Org ;).

Regards
hmw