* shipping elisp for notmuch in elpa-notmuch debian package
@ 2019-12-04  8:35 Daniel Kahn Gillmor
From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor @ 2019-12-04  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Notmuch Mail

Hi Notmuch folks--

In the course of trying to figure out the dh_missing warnings, I've been
looking into what we ship in debian in the elpa-notmuch package.

Dubious files
-------------

elpa-notmuch currently ships a few files in
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/notmuch-*/ that i'm not convinced we
actually want to ship in the distributed package.

Those are:

    rstdoc.el
    make-deps.el
    dir

Do we need any of the above in the elpa-notmuch package?

info files
----------

The package also ships a bunch of *.info files in that elpa
module-specific directory, rather than shipping them in the typical
/usr/share/info/ location.  These info files appear to be translations
of the manpages or other basic notmuch documentation.  Is there a reason
to ship them in the elpa-specific directory?

notmuch-pkg.el
--------------

I note that notmuch-pkg.el is installed in elpa-notmuch, but it is *not*
in /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp when installed via the standard "make
install".  i don't know enough about how that installation is supposed
to work, but if it's supposed to drop in a notmuch-pkg.el, then
something needs fixing in the baseline "make install".

Regards,

        --dkg

(note: i've also i've filed #946142 against dh_elpa because it seems to
be one of the dh_missing culprits, by not recording what it ships in a
way that dh-missing can see it)