On Wed 2019-12-04 08:53:14 -0400, David Bremner wrote: > Daniel Kahn Gillmor writes: >> rstdoc.el >> make-deps.el >> dir > > the first two are build tools. if they're build tools then we don't need to ship them with elpa-notmuch, right? > The latter is needed by the info files. needed how? what functionality is missing? with the current elpa-notmuch installed, if i do "M-x info" i see a bunch of notmuch entries that show up under a big "Miscellaneous" heading, which appears to be the contents of this /dir file. If the purpose of it is just filing it under "Miscellaneous" that doesn't seem like much of a filing operation :P >> The package also ships a bunch of *.info files in that elpa >> module-specific directory, rather than shipping them in the typical >> /usr/share/info/ location. These info files appear to be translations >> of the manpages or other basic notmuch documentation. Is there a reason >> to ship them in the elpa-specific directory? > > It makes the elpa (make elpa) package self contained (with docs). > package.el knows how to install info files, so the debian-specific > tooling is not needed. sure, but if i "info notmuch" right now in debian, even with elpa-notmuch installed, i just get info redisplaying the notmuch(1) manpage, rather than rendering the info file which exists. Is that the goal? >> I note that notmuch-pkg.el is installed in elpa-notmuch, but it is *not* >> in /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp when installed via the standard "make >> install". i don't know enough about how that installation is supposed >> to work, but if it's supposed to drop in a notmuch-pkg.el, then >> something needs fixing in the baseline "make install". > > It's metadata for the elpa (package.el) package. Not sure it is helpful > in the standard install, but I don't really use the standard install, so > I'm open to ideas OK, i'm obviously used to using the elpa package too, so i don't know how this would affect the "standard install", so i'm happy to drop this point of my questioning unless someone who uses the standard install wants to speak up. --dkg