all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Google Season of Docs 2024
@ 2024-02-12 17:42 Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2024-02-12 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Hi,

( It is when my plate is full that I add more in. :-) )

Google is announcing the Season of Docs.  Somehow, it is similar of
Google Summer of Code but for… wait for it… documentation!

https://opensource.googleblog.com/2024/02/announcing-google-season-of-docs-2024.html

I would like that the Guix project applies as an Organization.  Hence my
message.  Before jumping in the boring paperwork, the first questions
are:

 1. Who does volunteer for being potential mentor?
 2. Would one of you readers be interested by being technical writer?
 3. Any for improving the documentation?

Well, shoot any ideas for #3.  It will help in all cases. :-)

It can range from a one line idea to more elaborated idea; as shown here
[1, 2, 3].

Depending on the feedback, I will create a LibrePlanet webpage or else
and go further in the process. :-)

Last, keep in mind the deadline is less than 10 days from now.

1: https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/project-ideas
2: https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/case-study-example
3: https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/2022/participants

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Google Season of Docs 2024
@ 2024-02-13 15:10 Juliana Sims
From: Juliana Sims @ 2024-02-13 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimon.toutoune; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Simon,

I would absolutely be interested in actually writing documentation. I
appear to be rapidly specializing as a technical writer and have long
wanted to help write better documentation for Guix (and Guile, for that
matter...). Reimbursement would allow me to set aside the time
necessary to actually do it.

With the caveat that I may be doing other things at the same time
(other grants or contracts or who knows; life is unpredictable), I
would absolutely be interested in doing some actual writing. I don't
have hard ideas about how to improve the docs so would be tapping folks
for and accepting feedback.

- Juli (she/her)