all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Google Season of Docs 2024
@ 2024-02-12 17:42 Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2024-02-12 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Hi,

( It is when my plate is full that I add more in. :-) )

Google is announcing the Season of Docs.  Somehow, it is similar of
Google Summer of Code but for… wait for it… documentation!

https://opensource.googleblog.com/2024/02/announcing-google-season-of-docs-2024.html

I would like that the Guix project applies as an Organization.  Hence my
message.  Before jumping in the boring paperwork, the first questions
are:

 1. Who does volunteer for being potential mentor?
 2. Would one of you readers be interested by being technical writer?
 3. Any for improving the documentation?

Well, shoot any ideas for #3.  It will help in all cases. :-)

It can range from a one line idea to more elaborated idea; as shown here
[1, 2, 3].

Depending on the feedback, I will create a LibrePlanet webpage or else
and go further in the process. :-)

Last, keep in mind the deadline is less than 10 days from now.

1: https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/project-ideas
2: https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/case-study-example
3: https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/2022/participants

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Google Season of Docs 2024
@ 2024-02-12 19:39 ` Attila Lendvai
From: Attila Lendvai @ 2024-02-12 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier; +Cc: Guix Devel

> 3. Any for improving the documentation?

just a general wish: much less prose and much more structure, please.

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39

* Re: Google Season of Docs 2024
@ 2024-02-12 23:06   ` Rostislav Svoboda
From: Rostislav Svoboda @ 2024-02-12 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Attila Lendvai; +Cc: Simon Tournier, Guix Devel

> 3. Any for improving the documentation?

Example snippets for every function. Basically like
https://clojuredocs.org/ but for Guile / Guix.

Thanks in advance.

* Re: Google Season of Docs 2024
@ 2024-02-13 15:10 Juliana Sims
From: Juliana Sims @ 2024-02-13 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimon.toutoune; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Simon,

I would absolutely be interested in actually writing documentation. I
appear to be rapidly specializing as a technical writer and have long
wanted to help write better documentation for Guix (and Guile, for that
matter...). Reimbursement would allow me to set aside the time
necessary to actually do it.

With the caveat that I may be doing other things at the same time
(other grants or contracts or who knows; life is unpredictable), I
would absolutely be interested in doing some actual writing. I don't
have hard ideas about how to improve the docs so would be tapping folks
for and accepting feedback.

- Juli (she/her)

* Re: Google Season of Docs 2024
@ 2024-02-23  9:18 ` Adam McCartney
From: Adam McCartney @ 2024-02-23  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi Simon,

First, apologies for being a bit late to the party here!

> 2. Would one of you readers be interested by being technical writer?
> 3. Any for improving the documentation?

I'm quite new to guix, so reading through many docs for the first time and
trying out various workflows. I'm taking notes on the various things that work.
Happy to help with this in any way I can!

In the past I've enjoyed using tutorials like "vimtutor" or emacs' "M-x
help-with-tutorial" when trying to break the ice with a completely new piece of
software. Writing something similar for guix might be fun?

>Last, keep in mind the deadline is less than 10 days from now.
>1: https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/project-ideas
>2: https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/case-study-example
>3: https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/2022/participants

Maybe I'm not reading this correctly, but it looks like the application window
opened yesterday, 22nd February and will close for organizations on the 2nd
April 2024?

--
  Adam McCartney - https://admccartney.mur.at
/