all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* A Joyous Core-Updates Week-End 🎉
@ 2023-04-11 22:16 Josselin Poiret
From: Josselin Poiret @ 2023-04-11 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello everyone,

It's that time of the year again!  Merging core-updates!  Do you *want*
glibc 2.35, gcc 11 as default, mesa 22, python 3.10, and more?!  Here's
your chance!

What is core-updates you ask?  It's the big branch where all changes
that affect significant parts of the dependency graph are pushed, to
avoid world rebuilds, and also to test them out.  This branch is then
merged back into the main one periodically, and of course, this is never
painless, as upgrading important dependencies like glibc or gcc are
going to cause issues.  Note that this workflow might change in the near
future though, see [1].

Some people have been hard at work fixing most of the build issues, and
we have most of the big changes sorted out now.  However, it's
impossible for the usual suspects to cover every single package, so we
would like to ask the wider community for their help with the merge.
Anyone can help, and in various ways (you don't need to know how to code
in Guile!).

This week-end (15–16 April), let's get everyone together and work on
core-updates!  Here's what you can do to help:

1) Use `guix time-machine` to test out your packages.

If you have a package manifest lying around (you can get one out of your
profile by using `guix package --export-manifest`), you can see which
packages are available by doing `guix time-machine --branch=core-updates
-- weather -m MANIFEST.SCM`!

You can also test the packages themselves by doing `guix time-machine
--branch=core-updates -- shell YOUR-PACKAGE`, at which point you'll be
in a shell with the new package available.  You can then try it out to
see if it works properly!

2) Hack on `core-updates`.

This is better to do beforehand: add a new worktree for core-updates
(you don't want to prune all of the .go files when switching between
master and core-updates, don't you?) using `git worktree add
../core-updates/ core-updates`.

You can then enter that directory and follow the instructions from the
manual, at "(guix)Building from Git".  You will have a checkout ready to
work on core-updates!  You can then try to build your manifest from the
checkout and see if everything builds, and try fixing the ones that
don't.

3) Hang out on #guix and on the MLs.

Follow what fellow members of the community are doing and struggling
with, cheer them on and/or offer them your assistance!  Feel free to
attempts, struggles and successes!

See you this week-end.

[1] https://gitlab.com/pjotrp/guix-days-fosdem-2023/-/blob/main/releases-branches.txt

Best,
--
Josselin Poiret

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: A Joyous Core-Updates Week-End 🎉
@ 2023-04-12  9:55 ` Simon Tournier
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-04-12  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josselin Poiret, guix-devel

Hi,

On mer., 12 avril 2023 at 00:16, Josselin Poiret <dev@jpoiret.xyz> wrote:

> 2) Hack on `core-updates`.

In addition, if you lack inspiration, pick one red bullet! :-)

From CI <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/jobset/core-updates>, choose the last
evaluation, column Action, click to the “screen” (dashboard) and from
this dashboard, e.g., <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/388378/dashboard>

If you prefer to select your preferred package, in the “search for jobs”
bar, just type the name, say ’julia-’.  Oh no, almost all red.

Click one, say the bullet corresponding to ’julia-abstractffts-1.0.1’
<https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/826824/details>.  Status: red triangle
Failed (dependency), therefore click “Show more”, and the red cross is
the one to fix.  Else, recursively click.

Here ’julia-1.8.3’ is failing
<https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/826760/details>.  Let open the ’raw’ Log
file: <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/826760/log/raw>.  Bottom shows the
failure, here the test suite.

Then checkout the core-updates branch in some Git worktree and try to
fix. :-)

Cheers,
simon

* Re: A Joyous Core-Updates Week-End 🎉
@ 2023-04-12 12:46 ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2023-04-12 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josselin Poiret; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Josselin,

Josselin Poiret <dev@jpoiret.xyz> writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> It's that time of the year again!  Merging core-updates!  Do you *want*
> glibc 2.35, gcc 11 as default, mesa 22, python 3.10, and more?!  Here's
> your chance!

Thanks for the initiative!  core-updates seems to be shaping up well,
it's good to have people test it! :-) I'm trying to get the staging
branch merged into master, after which I'll try a master -> core-updates
merge, hopefully in time for the test weekend so that all efforts can
converge there.

Cheers!

Maxim

* Status of Julia on core-updates (was Re: A Joyous Core-Updates Week-End 🎉)
@ 2023-04-12 17:32 ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-04-12 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josselin Poiret, guix-devel; +Cc: Andreas Enge, Efraim Flashner

Hi,

> 2) Hack on `core-updates`.

About x86_64, the build failure of Julia [1] seems coming from the
update of MPFR and I have no clue how to fix that.  Any idea?

Error in testset mpfr:
Test Failed at /tmp/guix-build-julia-1.8.3.drv-0/julia-1.8.3/test/mpfr.jl:664
  Expression: string(nextfloat(BigFloat(1))) == str
   Evaluated: "1.0" == "1.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000012"
Error in testset mpfr:
Test Failed at /tmp/guix-build-julia-1.8.3.drv-0/julia-1.8.3/test/mpfr.jl:667
  Expression: string(parse(BigFloat, "0.1")) == "0.10000002"
   Evaluated: "0.1" == "0.10000002"
Error in testset mpfr:
Test Failed at /tmp/guix-build-julia-1.8.3.drv-0/julia-1.8.3/test/mpfr.jl:669
  Expression: string(parse(BigFloat, "-9.9")) == "-9.9000015"
   Evaluated: "-10.0" == "-9.9000015"
Error in testset mpfr:
Test Failed at /tmp/guix-build-julia-1.8.3.drv-0/julia-1.8.3/test/mpfr.jl:672
  Expression: string(parse(BigFloat, "0.1")) == "0.10000000000002"
   Evaluated: "0.1" == "0.10000000000002"
Error in testset mpfr:
Test Failed at /tmp/guix-build-julia-1.8.3.drv-0/julia-1.8.3/test/mpfr.jl:674
  Expression: string(parse(BigFloat, "-9.9")) == "-9.8999999999942"
   Evaluated: "-10.0" == "-9.8999999999942"

About i686, Julia is broken since February on master, probably by [2],
therefore, this broken state for i686 is not blocking for the merge.

1: https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/826760/log/raw
2: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=1750d68309e26293c2da5aad953a061867f2cb14

Cheers,
simon on the behalf of the Julia team

* Re: Status of Julia on core-updates (was Re: A Joyous Core-Updates Week-End 🎉)
@ 2023-04-12 17:56   ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-04-12 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josselin Poiret, guix-devel; +Cc: Andreas Enge, Efraim Flashner

Hi,

On Wed, 12 Apr 2023 at 19:32, Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:

> About x86_64, the build failure of Julia [1] seems coming from the
> update of MPFR and I have no clue how to fix that.  Any idea?

In case people overlooked, Andreas provided the way to fix in
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2023-04/msg00139.html>.

Cheers,
simon

* Re: A Joyous Core-Updates Week-End 🎉
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-04-15  0:59 ` John Kehayias
From: John Kehayias @ 2023-04-15  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josselin Poiret; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Guix,

On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 12:16 AM, Josselin Poiret wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> It's that time of the year again!  Merging core-updates!  Do you *want*
> glibc 2.35, gcc 11 as default, mesa 22, python 3.10, and more?!  Here's
> your chance!

Time flies! Big thanks to Andreas especially for really shepherding (no pun intended) us
to an already good state.

> What is core-updates you ask?  It's the big branch where all changes
> that affect significant parts of the dependency graph are pushed, to
> avoid world rebuilds, and also to test them out.  This branch is then
> merged back into the main one periodically, and of course, this is never
> painless, as upgrading important dependencies like glibc or gcc are
> going to cause issues.  Note that this workflow might change in the near
> future though, see [1].
>
> Some people have been hard at work fixing most of the build issues, and
> we have most of the big changes sorted out now.  However, it's
> impossible for the usual suspects to cover every single package, so we
> would like to ask the wider community for their help with the merge.
> Anyone can help, and in various ways (you don't need to know how to code
> in Guile!).
>
> This week-end (15–16 April), let's get everyone together and work on
> core-updates!  Here's what you can do to help:

Thanks for organizing! I know many are in Europe (US here) so I may miss a lot of people
due to time zone/schedule, but looking forward to helping out. I've been away from Guix a
bit due to some other stuff but hope to put my eyes for review and commit access to good
use to help out with everyone's hard work.

> 1) Use `guix time-machine` to test out your packages.
>
> If you have a package manifest lying around (you can get one out of your
> profile by using `guix package --export-manifest`), you can see which
> packages are available by doing `guix time-machine --branch=core-updates
> -- weather -m MANIFEST.SCM`!
>
> You can also test the packages themselves by doing `guix time-machine
> --branch=core-updates -- shell YOUR-PACKAGE`, at which point you'll be
> in a shell with the new package available.  You can then try it out to
> see if it works properly!

I also want to stress this point, more testing of your favorite package (or reconfiguring
your system to core-updates if you are feeling more adventurous) is really helpful. So
don't be afraid even if you have no idea what's happening under the hood.

> 2) Hack on `core-updates`.
>
> This is better to do beforehand: add a new worktree for core-updates
> (you don't want to prune all of the .go files when switching between
> master and core-updates, don't you?) using `git worktree add
> ../core-updates/ core-updates`.
>
> You can then enter that directory and follow the instructions from the
> manual, at "(guix)Building from Git".  You will have a checkout ready to
> work on core-updates!  You can then try to build your manifest from the
> checkout and see if everything builds, and try fixing the ones that
> don't.
>

> 3) Hang out on #guix and on the MLs.
>
> Follow what fellow members of the community are doing and struggling
> with, cheer them on and/or offer them your assistance!  Feel free to
> attempts, struggles and successes!

Question on procedure: are we going to be posting every patch to guix-patches and waiting
for QA to build? Or only for not trivial (whatever that means) patches? I guess I'm asking
if this will be a sort of sprint weekend and larger changes/cleanup in the aftermath? This
depends on context of course, but in light of recent discussions on patch pushing, QA, and
teams (that I need to catch up on) I wanted to see what we were doing here.

> See you this week-end.
>
> [1] <https://gitlab.com/pjotrp/guix-days-fosdem-2023/-/blob/main/releases-branches.txt>
>
> Best,

Thanks again, see you all on IRC and git logs this weekend!

John

* Re: A Joyous Core-Updates Week-End 🎉
@ 2023-04-15  7:59   ` Josselin Poiret
From: Josselin Poiret @ 2023-04-15  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kehayias; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi John,

John Kehayias <john.kehayias@protonmail.com> writes:

> Question on procedure: are we going to be posting every patch to guix-patches and waiting
> for QA to build? Or only for not trivial (whatever that means) patches? I guess I'm asking
> if this will be a sort of sprint weekend and larger changes/cleanup in the aftermath? This
> depends on context of course, but in light of recent discussions on patch pushing, QA, and
> teams (that I need to catch up on) I wanted to see what we were doing here.

Good question.  My personal opinion on this is that fixes for
dependencies that impact multiple packages could be reviewed on the spot
while leaf packages could wait until later.

Best,
--

@ 2023-04-15  9:30     ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2023-04-15  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josselin Poiret; +Cc: John Kehayias, guix-devel

Am Sat, Apr 15, 2023 at 09:59:20AM +0200 schrieb Josselin Poiret:
> Good question.  My personal opinion on this is that fixes for
> dependencies that impact multiple packages could be reviewed on the spot
> while leaf packages could wait until later.

I feel more adventurous. Since anyway we are speaking about broken packages
on a branch that is not yet merged, we may as well push right away after
testing locally.

Andreas