all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* build failed: unexpected EOF reading a line
@ 2017-09-11  4:25 Fredrik Salomonsson
From: Fredrik Salomonsson @ 2017-09-11  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi all,

I'm having issues using guix build. I'm suspecting some misconfiguration on
my end.

Since there are some stuff missing in guix that I use (i3blocks for
example) I thought I could try and create package definitions from them. I
haven't got my GuixSD working yet so I'm using guix running on Arch Linux.

I thought that it might be something wrong with my recipe I was writing. So
I tested to build the GNU Hello package from the manual (Defining Packages
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Defining-Packages.html#Defining-Packages>).
I copied it into a file called gnu/packages/hello.scm
After that I ran "guix build -L$(pwd) hello".
But I'm getting these errors:

> guix: offload: command not found
> Try `guix --help' for more information.
> guix build: error: build failed: unexpected EOF reading a line

Not sure why it complains about missing offload command. I haven't setup it
up but when running "guix offload test" it prints out:

> guix offload: testing 0 build machines defined in
> '/etc/guix/machines.scm'...

But that's not what's blocking my, instead it's the EOF error.
My first thought was that I must have missed a newline after the
(define-public hello ...). Turns out that wasn't the case. Any idea what I
have missed? I'm still a complete noob when it comes to guile so I'm not
sure how to debug/trace the error.

I've attached the hello.scm

Thanks.

--
s/Fred[re]+i[ck]+/Fredrik/g

[-- Attachment #2: hello.scm --]
[-- Type: text/x-scheme, Size: 900 bytes --]

(define-module (gnu packages hello)
  #:use-module (guix packages)
  #:use-module (guix download)
  #:use-module (guix build-system gnu)
  #:use-module (guix licenses)
  #:use-module (gnu packages gawk))

(define-public hello
  (package
    (name "hello")
    (version "2.10")
    (source (origin
              (method url-fetch)
              (uri (string-append "mirror://gnu/hello/hello-" version
                                  ".tar.gz"))
              (sha256
               (base32
                "0ssi1wpaf7plaswqqjwigppsg5fyh99vdlb9kzl7c9lng89ndq1i"))))
    (build-system gnu-build-system)
    (arguments '(#:configure-flags '("--enable-silent-rules")))
    (inputs `(("gawk" ,gawk)))
    (synopsis "Hello, GNU world: An example GNU package")
    (description "Guess what GNU Hello prints!")
    (home-page "http://www.gnu.org/software/hello/")
    (license gpl3+)))

;;; hello ends here

* Re: build failed: unexpected EOF reading a line
@ 2017-09-11  7:47 ` Ludovic Courtès
       [not found]   ` <CABZcOARq30BijDzrJRp1Z3izwaN4b2f5Z5ifSTrQ=0D3SByWfQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-09-11  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fredrik Salomonsson; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Fredrik,

Fredrik Salomonsson <plattfot@gmail.com> skribis:

> I thought that it might be something wrong with my recipe I was writing. So
> I tested to build the GNU Hello package from the manual (Defining Packages
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Defining-Packages.html#Defining-Packages>).
> I copied it into a file called gnu/packages/hello.scm
> After that I ran "guix build -L$(pwd) hello".
> But I'm getting these errors:
>
>> guix: offload: command not found
>> Try `guix --help' for more information.
>> guix build: error: build failed: unexpected EOF reading a line

How did you set up guix-daemon?

Behind the scenes, guix-daemon invokes the internal ‘guix offload’
command.  That command requires Guile-SSH¹.  In your case, it looks like
Guile-SSH was found at configure-time when building Guix, but is now
missing at run time, hence this “offload: command not found” error.

Could you make sure the GUILE_LOAD_PATH environment variable seen by
guix-daemon points to Guile-SSH?

HTH,
Ludo’.

¹ https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Requirements.html

@ 2017-09-12  7:48     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-09-12  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fredrik Salomonsson; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Fredrik,

(You forgot to Cc the list.)

Fredrik Salomonsson <plattfot@gmail.com> skribis:

>  How did you set up guix-daemon?
>
>  Behind the scenes, guix-daemon invokes the internal ‘guix offload’
>  command. That command requires Guile-SSH¹. In your case, it looks like
>  Guile-SSH was found at configure-time when building Guix, but is now
>  missing at run time, hence this “offload: command not found” error.
>
>  Could you make sure the GUILE_LOAD_PATH environment variable seen by
>  guix-daemon points to Guile-SSH?
>
> I set it up as described here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Guix i.e. installed the AUR package, created the build users and launched the systemd unit guix-daemon.service.
>
> Turns out that the systemd unit doesn't setup the path to the GUILE_LOAD_PATH.
>
> Ran "systemctl edit guix-daemon" and added
>
> [Service]
> Environment=GUILE_LOAD_PATH=/root/.guix-profile/share/guile/site/2.2
> Environment=GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH=/root/.guix-profile/lib/guile/2.2
>
> then
> systemctl daemon-reload
> systemctl restart guix-daemon
>
> Not sure if the last steps are needed, but you can never be too careful when it comes to systemd.
>
> Anway that fixed it and I can now compile GNU hello.

Awesome.

Perhaps you should report the issue in AUR so that they can add these
lines to the .service file by default.

Thanks for your feedback,
Ludo’.

* Re: build failed: unexpected EOF reading a line
@ 2017-09-13  5:19       ` Fredrik Salomonsson
From: Fredrik Salomonsson @ 2017-09-13  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix