all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* staging merge into master
@ 2023-04-12 20:38 Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2023-04-12 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, GNU Guix maintainers

Hello,

I'm planning to merge staging into master soon (tomorrow or friday),
unless someone has a problem with it.  It includes at least two CVE
fixes as well as a bunch of updates such as a newer gstreamer, ffmpeg,
qt 5, python-cryptography and a few others, and seems to be close to
master in terms of coverage (currently 68% for staging vs 73% for
master, according to https://ci.guix.gnu.org/).

I was able to reconfigure my system with it, and haven't seen issues so
far.  Testing welcome!

Maxim

* Re: staging merge into master
@ 2023-04-12 21:18 ` Josselin Poiret
From: Josselin Poiret @ 2023-04-12 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer, guix-devel, GNU Guix maintainers

Hi Maxim,

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm planning to merge staging into master soon (tomorrow or friday),
> unless someone has a problem with it.  It includes at least two CVE
> fixes as well as a bunch of updates such as a newer gstreamer, ffmpeg,
> qt 5, python-cryptography and a few others, and seems to be close to
> master in terms of coverage (currently 68% for staging vs 73% for
> master, according to https://ci.guix.gnu.org/).
>
> I was able to reconfigure my system with it, and haven't seen issues so
> far.  Testing welcome!

I'm a bit conflicted on this one, as:
+ this could let us get rid of staging as well!
+ this might fix some build issues and package errors on core-updates
(as well as fix CVEs!)
- this might create some build issues and package errors on core-updates
- we might not have time for a full CI run on core-updates before this
week-end.

I don't have a particularly strong opinion either way, but if you do
merge it, could you make sure to also merge master into c-u and launch a
CI evaluation right afterwards?  Thanks for taking care of staging!

Best,
--
Josselin Poiret

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: staging merge into master
@ 2023-04-12 21:20 ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2023-04-12 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: guix-devel, GNU Guix maintainers

Hello Maxim,

Am Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 04:38:20PM -0400 schrieb Maxim Cournoyer:
> I'm planning to merge staging into master soon (tomorrow or friday),
> unless someone has a problem with it.  It includes at least two CVE
> fixes as well as a bunch of updates such as a newer gstreamer, ffmpeg,
> qt 5, python-cryptography and a few others, and seems to be close to
> master in terms of coverage (currently 68% for staging vs 73% for
> master, according to https://ci.guix.gnu.org/).

tomorrow would be great, as well as the merge of master to core-updates:
That would leave a bit of time for ci to pick up the new builds, and
we would have a better starting position for the core-updates sprint
beginning on Saturday.

Thanks a lot for getting this old branch in shape!

Andreas

* Re: staging merge into master
@ 2023-04-12 21:27   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2023-04-12 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josselin Poiret; +Cc: Maxim Cournoyer, guix-devel

Am Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 11:18:26PM +0200 schrieb Josselin Poiret:
> I don't have a particularly strong opinion either way, but if you do
> merge it, could you make sure to also merge master into c-u and launch a
> CI evaluation right afterwards?

The second part is automatic right now, ci is configured to build all
of core-updates.

Andreas

* Re: staging merge into master
@ 2023-04-13  1:26   ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2023-04-13  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josselin Poiret; +Cc: guix-devel, GNU Guix maintainers

Hello,

Josselin Poiret <dev@jpoiret.xyz> writes:

> Hi Maxim,
>
> Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm planning to merge staging into master soon (tomorrow or friday),
>> unless someone has a problem with it.  It includes at least two CVE
>> fixes as well as a bunch of updates such as a newer gstreamer, ffmpeg,
>> qt 5, python-cryptography and a few others, and seems to be close to
>> master in terms of coverage (currently 68% for staging vs 73% for
>> master, according to https://ci.guix.gnu.org/).
>>
>> I was able to reconfigure my system with it, and haven't seen issues so
>> far.  Testing welcome!
>
> I'm a bit conflicted on this one, as:
> + this could let us get rid of staging as well!
> + this might fix some build issues and package errors on core-updates
> (as well as fix CVEs!)
> - this might create some build issues and package errors on core-updates
> - we might not have time for a full CI run on core-updates before this
> week-end.
>
> I don't have a particularly strong opinion either way, but if you do
> merge it, could you make sure to also merge master into c-u and launch a
> CI evaluation right afterwards?  Thanks for taking care of staging!

Sounds good.  If I feel confident tomorrow I'll merge it to master and
tackle the probably tricky merge to core-updates at the same time.

Thanks for tipping in along with Andreas!

@ 2023-04-13  1:27   ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2023-04-13  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel, GNU Guix maintainers

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> writes:

> Hello Maxim,
>
> Am Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 04:38:20PM -0400 schrieb Maxim Cournoyer:
>> I'm planning to merge staging into master soon (tomorrow or friday),
>> unless someone has a problem with it.  It includes at least two CVE
>> fixes as well as a bunch of updates such as a newer gstreamer, ffmpeg,
>> qt 5, python-cryptography and a few others, and seems to be close to
>> master in terms of coverage (currently 68% for staging vs 73% for
>> master, according to https://ci.guix.gnu.org/).
>
> tomorrow would be great, as well as the merge of master to core-updates:
> That would leave a bit of time for ci to pick up the new builds, and
> we would have a better starting position for the core-updates sprint
> beginning on Saturday.

Sounds good!  I'll try to do it tomorrow most probably!

> Thanks a lot for getting this old branch in shape!

My pleasure!  Thanks to you for being at the front for the core-updates
merge.

@ 2023-04-13  9:26     ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-04-13  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge, Josselin Poiret; +Cc: Maxim Cournoyer, guix-devel

Hi Maxim,

On Wed, 12 Apr 2023 at 23:27, Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> wrote:
> Am Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 11:18:26PM +0200 schrieb Josselin Poiret:

>> I don't have a particularly strong opinion either way, but if you do
>> merge it, could you make sure to also merge master into c-u and launch a
>> CI evaluation right afterwards?
>
> The second part is automatic right now, ci is configured to build all
> of core-updates.

I concur with Josselin, could you make sure to also merge master into
core-updates?

And could let the CI ends with the last evaluation of staging?  I mean
wait until the completion of <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/391493>
triggered by commit 0fe2c78cac19acfb46c3bc365075293e51e0e5aa.  I would
avoid some “out of stock” of substitutes for end-user running.

Thanks for taking care of this!

Cheers,
simon