all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* `make check` fails when trying to build from Git
@ 2024-05-04 12:46 Ashvith Shetty
From: Ashvith Shetty @ 2024-05-04 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I've been looking forward to contributing some packages to Guix, but so
far, I've not been able to figure out from the manual, so I'm going through
the entire Contributing
<https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Contributing.html> section.

So far, after the `guix shell -D guix -CPW` command, I've reached the `make
check` part, where the tests fail. What logs should I share, so that I can
make it easier for people to check out the issue that's stopping me from
progressing?

So far, it generates the following files:

```console
$ ls tests/ | grep .log
accounts.log
base16.log
base32.log
base64.log
boot-parameters.log
bournish.log
build-emacs-utils.log
builders.log
build-utils.log
cache.log
challenge.log
channels.log
combinators.log
composer.log
containers.log
cpan.log
cpio.log
cran.log
crate.log
cve.log
debug-link.log
derivations.log
```

* Re: `make check` fails when trying to build from Git
@ 2024-05-05 15:53 ` Steve George
       [not found]   ` <CA+n6Bx9noZ=VsDqF5+TAV-YBR4BQKaKcxKpL-R2FOVDWeCbaAw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Steve George @ 2024-05-05 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ashvith Shetty; +Cc: guix-devel

On  4 May, Ashvith Shetty wrote:
> I've been looking forward to contributing some packages to Guix, but so
> far, I've not been able to figure out from the manual, so I'm going through
> the entire Contributing
> <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Contributing.html> section.
>
> So far, after the `guix shell -D guix -CPW` command, I've reached the `make
> check` part, where the tests fail. What logs should I share, so that I can
> make it easier for people to check out the issue that's stopping me from
> progressing?
(...)

Hi Ashvith - are you building the master branch with a recent checkout?

I also get some FAILS, but not as many as you.

You can probably continue and if the ./pre-inst-env guix command works then you can continue to package.

The manual has a section on how to investigate the test failures: if you have alook at those there may be clues and you can create issues with a proper log at that point.

Best,

Steve / Futurile

* Re: `make check` fails when trying to build from Git
@ 2024-05-06 10:16   ` Ludovic Courtès
       [not found]     ` <CA+n6Bx9j7EMNLmZSshUsXy_CQMNYWnG4yBgXm8Hzyp_Mk23d6g@mail.gmail.com>
       [not found]   ` <CA+n6Bx9noZ=VsDqF5+TAV-YBR4BQKaKcxKpL-R2FOVDWeCbaAw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2024-05-06 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve George; +Cc: Ashvith Shetty, guix-devel

Hi,

Steve George <steve@futurile.net> skribis:

> Hi Ashvith - are you building the master branch with a recent checkout?
>
> I also get some FAILS, but not as many as you.

It would be nice if you could report it: the list of FAILs and the
corresponding .log files.  Also please mention how you run them: Guix
System or another distro, and whether or not you’re in ‘guix shell -C’.

Some tests are enabled when networking is available, and it’s not
unusual for these to fail if the networking conditions aren’t optimal
(for instance, some ISPs set up DNS hijacking, which breaks some of the
expectations.)

Anyway, it’s probably worth investigating.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: `make check` fails when trying to build from Git
@ 2024-05-09  4:39     ` Ashvith Shetty
       [not found]     ` <CA+n6Bx9j7EMNLmZSshUsXy_CQMNYWnG4yBgXm8Hzyp_Mk23d6g@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ashvith Shetty @ 2024-05-09  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Steve George, guix-devel

(Re-replying again, as the mail did not reach guix-devel)

Hi Ludovic,
Sorry for the late reply. I've pulled the new changes from remote to my
local repo, and tried following the same instructions again. I don't
remember clearly, but the test suite's UI seems to have changed the last
time I tried running them, as well as the number of errors that I've
previously encountered. With that being said, I've attached the logs below.

Out of topic question: Since I'm using Gmail, is it messing up with the
style or layout?
Is there any format that I should be following, while sending mail?

On Mon, 6 May, 2024, 15:46 Ludovic Courtès, <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Steve George <steve@futurile.net> skribis:
>
> > Hi Ashvith - are you building the master branch with a recent checkout?
> >
> > I also get some FAILS, but not as many as you.
>
> It would be nice if you could report it: the list of FAILs and the
> corresponding .log files.  Also please mention how you run them: Guix
> System or another distro, and whether or not you’re in ‘guix shell -C’.
>
> Some tests are enabled when networking is available, and it’s not
> unusual for these to fail if the networking conditions aren’t optimal
> (for instance, some ISPs set up DNS hijacking, which breaks some of the
> expectations.)
>
> Anyway, it’s probably worth investigating.
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

[-- Attachment #2: test-suite.log --]

* Re: `make check` fails when trying to build from Git
       [not found]     ` <CA+n6Bx9mRhjx=3S2UG_oD2o80BO3xVLbP47zuWhPxy3oAYY9Dw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2024-05-09  6:04       ` Ashvith Shetty
From: Ashvith Shetty @ 2024-05-09  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve George; +Cc: guix-devel, Ludovic Courtès

(Sorry for replying again, but since my message wasn't reaching to
gnu-devel for others to see, I'm trying this again, this time, hopefully it
should reach others)

Hello Steve,
Yes, you're right about that - I am on the master branch. Should I switch
to a different commit? Maybe the ones listed in `git tag --list`?

@ 2024-05-09 13:49       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2024-05-09 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ashvith Shetty; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Ashvith,

(Cc: guix-devel.)

Thanks for the logs!  They show two test failures:

Ashvith Shetty <ashvithshetty10@gmail.com> skribis:

> test-name: terminal-string-width Japanese
> location: /home/ashvith/Desktop/guix/tests/syscalls.scm:590
> source:
> + (test-equal
> +   "terminal-string-width Japanese"
> +   6
> +   (terminal-string-width "???"))
> expected-value: 6
> actual-value: 3
> result: FAIL

This one happens when *not* running in a UTF-8-capable locale.  We
should arrange so that the test is skipped in that case.

> + cmp t-download-2080 /home/ashvith/Desktop/guix/README
> + guix download file:///does-not-exist file:///home/ashvith/Desktop/guix/README
> guix download: error: file:///home/ashvith/Desktop/guix/README: extraneous argument
> + cd /tmp/tmp.yMJjm0ZbQf
> + git init
> Initialized empty Git repository in /tmp/tmp.yMJjm0ZbQf/.git/
> + touch test
> + git config user.name User
> + git config user.email user@domain
> + git add test
> + git commit -m Commit
> fatal: either user.signingkey or gpg.ssh.defaultKeyCommand needs to be configured
> + rm -rf /tmp/tmp.yMJjm0ZbQf
> + rm -f t-download-2080
> + rm -rf t-archive-dir-2080
> FAIL tests/guix-download.sh (exit status: 128)

This one seems to have to do with your own ~/.gitconfig.  We should
arrange so that Git doesn’t read ~/.gitconfig for these tests.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: `make check` fails when trying to build from Git
@ 2024-05-09 19:56         ` Ashvith Shetty
From: Ashvith Shetty @ 2024-05-09 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Ludovic,
Thank you for the timely response. I'm not sure about what input I should
provide for the first error, as it is probably something that I lack the
understanding of. However, with respect to the second failure, I adhere to
XDG compliance for most of my configs, so my git configs are actually
stored in `~/.config/git/config`. Could that have caused this issue?

@ 2024-05-14  9:17           ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2024-05-14  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ashvith Shetty; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Ashvith,

I pushed the commits below, which should address the two failures you
reported:

  7ca9809cdbf tests: Skip ‘terminal-string-width’ test on encodings other than UTF-8.
  723d45866f1 tests: Remove interference from the user’s Git config.

Lemme know if that helps!

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: `make check` fails when trying to build from Git
@ 2024-05-16 18:25             ` Ashvith Shetty
From: Ashvith Shetty @ 2024-05-16 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello Ludovic,
Thank you for merging the improved commits. Unfortunately, it looks like
the test won't continue any further after `print.scm`, which is weird,
because this wasn't the case before. Perhaps, it is stuck on
`processes.scm`? I've attached the half-complete logs below.

On Tue, May 14, 2024 at 9:17 AM Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi Ashvith,
>
> I pushed the commits below, which should address the two failures you
> reported:
>
>   7ca9809cdbf tests: Skip ‘terminal-string-width’ test on encodings other
> than UTF-8.
>   723d45866f1 tests: Remove interference from the user’s Git config.
>
> Lemme know if that helps!
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

[-- Attachment #2: processes.log --]

test-name: not a client
location: /home/ashvith/Desktop/guix/tests/processes.scm:71
source:
+ (test-assert
+   "not a client"
+   (not (find (lambda (session)
+                (= (getpid)
+                   (process-id (daemon-session-client session))))
+              (daemon-sessions))))
actual-value: #t
result: PASS

test-name: client
location: /home/ashvith/Desktop/guix/tests/processes.scm:77
source:
+ (test-assert
+   "client"
+   (with-store
+     store
+     (let* ((session
+              (find (lambda (session)
+                      (= (getpid)
+                         (process-id (daemon-session-client session))))
+                    (daemon-sessions)))
+            (daemon (daemon-session-process session)))
+       (and (kill (process-id daemon) 0)
+            (string-suffix?
+              "guix-daemon"
+              (first (process-command daemon)))))))
actual-value: #t
result: PASS

random seed for tests: 1715889689
substitute: guix substitute: warning: ACL for archive imports seems to be uninitialized, substitutes may be unavailable
substitute: guix substitute: warning: authentication and authorization of substitutes disabled!
building path(s) `/home/ashvith/Desktop/guix/test-tmp/store/n1q1jsjcs3yzirgay6zjm3yanghavzq7-foo'
while setting up the build environment: executing `/home/ashvith/Desktop/guix/test-tmp/store/a2k16z6jzwzvvg00bhf4mf9v0k65r7kq-guile-bootstrap-2.0/bin/guile': Exec format error
builder for `/home/ashvith/Desktop/guix/test-tmp/store/v8bcfs5209sysr7y6wd4d3lj7k069x7f-foo.drv' failed with exit code 1
In guix/store.scm:
  1444:15  1 (_ #<store-connection 256.100 7f72e0289b90> _ _)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
  1685:16  0 (raise-exception _ #:continuable? _)
ice-9/boot-9.scm:1685:16: In procedure raise-exception:
ERROR:
  1. &store-protocol-error:
      message: "build of `/home/ashvith/Desktop/guix/test-tmp/store/v8bcfs5209sysr7y6wd4d3lj7k069x7f-foo.drv' failed"
      status: 100

* Re: `make check` fails when trying to build from Git
@ 2024-05-17 15:13               ` Ludovic Courtès
       [not found]                 ` <CA+n6Bx-Mqocj3iWTzgSnP36Bh2Pdh7Wit8LtKpgRx_oAdcXfhA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2024-05-17 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ashvith Shetty; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Ashvith,

Ashvith Shetty <ashvithshetty10@gmail.com> skribis:

> while setting up the build environment: executing `/home/ashvith/Desktop/guix/test-tmp/store/a2k16z6jzwzvvg00bhf4mf9v0k65r7kq-guile-bootstrap-2.0/bin/guile': Exec format error

What does this command return:

  file /home/ashvith/Desktop/guix/test-tmp/store/a2k16z6jzwzvvg00bhf4mf9v0k65r7kq-guile-bootstrap-2.0/bin/guile

?

Thanks for testing!

Ludo’.

@ 2024-05-19 14:18                   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2024-05-19 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ashvith Shetty; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Ashvith Shetty <ashvithshetty10@gmail.com> skribis:

> $ file /home/ashvith/Desktop/guix/test-tmp/store/a2k16z6jzwzvvg00bhf4mf9v0k65r7kq-guile-bootstrap-2.0/bin/guile
> /home/ashvith/Desktop/guix/test-tmp/store/a2k16z6jzwzvvg00bhf4mf9v0k65r7kq-guile-bootstrap-2.0/bin/guile: empty

This suggests that this file is corrupt: it shouldn’t be empty.

I’d suggest starting from a clean state:

  cd ~/Desktop/guix
  chmod -R +w test-tmp
  rm -rf test-tmp

and then:

  make check -j4

HTH!

Ludo’.

* Re: `make check` fails when trying to build from Git
@ 2024-05-24 14:53                     ` Ashvith Shetty
From: Ashvith Shetty @ 2024-05-24 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello again, sorry for the delay in reply. I'll be closing this
conversation and continuing this discussion on bug-guix@gnu.org, as I think
that it would be an apt place to discuss.

@ 2024-05-24 20:36                       ` Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2024-05-24 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ashvith Shetty, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Ashvith,

On Fri, May 24 2024, Ashvith Shetty wrote:

> I'll be [...]  continuing this discussion on bug-guix@gnu.org, as I
> think that it would be an apt place to discuss.

It isn't.  Any message sent to bug-guix@gnu.org will open a new,
numbered report on debbugs.gnu.org.

You could discuss your issue, after opening such a report, at
REPORT_NUMBER@debbugs.gnu.org.  Please make sure to carbon-copy any
additional participants.  By default, Debbugs notfies no one except when
closing a report.

Before filing a new report it is, however, customary to look first if
another similar report is open already.  Then the relevant conversations
happen in one place.  One way to search would be to access the same
group of reports at https://issues.guix.gnu.org/

Good luck!

Kind regards
Felix

P.S. To everyone, I'm a beekeeper.  Please don't call your reports
"bugs."  Let's call them reports.  I'll try to remember, too.