all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* GuixSD on librem phone?
@ 2018-12-06 11:57 swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2018-12-06 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi

I would like to know if there is any interest in this?

What processor architecture is it using?
What about blobs? Any news? (see below)

Could we pre-order one or two librem phones owned by the foundation to
be used to to hack on this?

I am looking forward the

Here is a note from the high-priority-projects-2017-progress-report
2017-12-22:
"Purism Librem 5 phones, now available for pre-order, will run a
GNU/Linux-based operating system called PureOS by default, and will
allow users to install a different GNU/Linux distribution if they
choose, potentially making this the first phone on the market with fully
libre userspace. Purism emphasizes privacy and security, with features
that include encrypted text and email support, hardware kill switches,
and more. They've already overshot their fundraising goal, indicating
that there is a serious audience for a fully free phone. Unfortunately,
at the time of this writing, Purism has not committed to avoid nonfree
blobs – please help us encourage them to do so."
https://www.fsf.org/bulletin/2017/fall/high-priority-projects-2017-progress-report

--
Cheers
Swedebugia

* Re: GuixSD on librem phone?
@ 2018-12-06 13:45 ` Vagrant Cascadian
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Vagrant Cascadian @ 2018-12-06 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 2018-12-06, swedebugia@riseup.net wrote:
> I would like to know if there is any interest in this?

I've got my eyes on the librem-5 too...

> What processor architecture is it using?

aarch64

> What about blobs? Any news? (see below)

Not sure. For their laptops, they use blob-free wireless, at least.

The chipset proposed for the librem-5 (imx8*) has a GPU that works with
etnaviv and so I don't *think* it requires binary blobs.

I'm not sure what wireless chipset or cellular modem it's using, or any
other hardware that might need a binary blob.

live well,
  vagrant

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: GuixSD on librem phone?
@ 2018-12-06 13:55 ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-12-06 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: guix-devel

I'm definitely interested!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: GuixSD on librem phone?
@ 2018-12-06 14:06   ` Vagrant Cascadian
From: Vagrant Cascadian @ 2018-12-06 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 2018-12-06, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> On 2018-12-06, swedebugia@riseup.net wrote:
>> What about blobs? Any news? (see below)
>
> Not sure. For their laptops, they use blob-free wireless, at least.
>
> The chipset proposed for the librem-5 (imx8*) has a GPU that works with
> etnaviv and so I don't *think* it requires binary blobs.
>
> I'm not sure what wireless chipset or cellular modem it's using, or any
> other hardware that might need a binary blob.

https://puri.sm/posts/librem5-2018-09-hardware-report/

Apparently they will use wifi/bluetooth/cellular that has proprietary
firmware, but burned into the hardware, which is compliant with the RYF
guidelines...

live well,
  vagrant

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: GuixSD on librem phone?
@ 2018-12-06 15:24     ` Giovanni Biscuolo
From: Giovanni Biscuolo @ 2018-12-06 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vagrant Cascadian, guix-devel

Hi!

sorry for going little bit OT

I'm *desperately* looking forward for hardware I can trust, so librem5
is giving me *some* hope, but...

Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> writes:

[...]

> https://puri.sm/posts/librem5-2018-09-hardware-report/
>
> Apparently they will use wifi/bluetooth/cellular that has proprietary
> firmware, but burned into the hardware, which is compliant with the RYF
> guidelines...

still in 2018 the hardware landscape is so sad that a quite "freedom
committed" vendor [1] cannot find a better alternative than to use a
proprietary wifi and bluetooth stack: OK, RFY compliant but what _when_
(not if) a serious bug will be found on that firmware?
are we sure wifi/bluetooth cannot be used as "side channel" vector
attacks?

callular (baseband) merits a dedicated chapter, since it seems
practically impossible *forever* to trust that chips... and that chips
are an important attack vector (Purism will use USB bus to separate
baseband from CPU)

this also means we will _never_ be able to trust communications via
baseband (2G, 3G... 5G), fortunately this can be fixed using a trusted
_separated_ SoC and the very good work coming from the vast and smart
FLOSS community [2] :-)

[...]

Ciao
Giovanni

[1] citing from the above mentioned article: «This is highlighting the
fact that Purism, as a social purpose corporation, will push our strict
agenda of software and user freedoms upstream into the supply chain.»

[2] looking at you, secushare https://secushare.org/

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: GuixSD on librem phone?
@ 2018-12-06 17:03 ` Jan Nieuwenhuizen
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen @ 2018-12-06 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: guix-devel

> I would like to know if there is any interest in this?

I'm interested!

janneke

* Re: GuixSD on librem phone?
@ 2018-12-06 21:13       ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2018-12-06 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Biscuolo; +Cc: Vagrant Cascadian, guix-devel

On Thu, Dec 06, 2018 at 04:24:38PM +0100, Giovanni Biscuolo wrote:
> callular (baseband) merits a dedicated chapter, since it seems
> practically impossible *forever* to trust that chips... and that chips
> are an important attack vector (Purism will use USB bus to separate
> baseband from CPU)

I agree, the situation is depressing...

> this also means we will _never_ be able to trust communications via
> baseband (2G, 3G... 5G), fortunately this can be fixed using a trusted
> _separated_ SoC and the very good work coming from the vast and smart
> FLOSS community [2] :-)

... but we can trust communications over cellular baseband. Already, we
have built many trustable communication systems over untrusted mediums
like the internet. This is the role of things like TLS, the Signal
double-ratchet, and PGP.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: GuixSD on librem phone?
@ 2018-12-06 22:31         ` Giovanni Biscuolo
From: Giovanni Biscuolo @ 2018-12-06 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: Vagrant Cascadian, guix-devel

Hi Leo,

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

[...]

>> this also means we will _never_ be able to trust communications via
>> baseband (2G, 3G... 5G), fortunately this can be fixed using a trusted
>> _separated_ SoC and the very good work coming from the vast and smart
>> FLOSS community [2] :-)
>
> ... but we can trust communications over cellular baseband. Already, we
> have built many trustable communication systems over untrusted mediums
> like the internet. This is the role of things like TLS, the Signal
> double-ratchet, and PGP.

you are right, I was a little bit cryptic but that was what I meant with
"the very good work coming..." :-)

and much more trustable communication is around the corner, soon on
GNUnet :-D

happy hacking!
Giovanni

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: GuixSD on librem phone?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-12-09 15:11 ` Divan Santana
From: Divan Santana @ 2018-12-09 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

swedebugia@riseup.net writes:

> I would like to know if there is any interest in this?

I'd be interested. I bought the librem 5.

Hope it turns out well.