all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Please write "Update to <version>" instead of "Update snapshot"
@ 2017-11-26  0:43 Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2017-11-26  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix,

I'd like to propose that we deprecate the practice of simply writing
"Update snapshot" in the summary line of software updates, and instead
consistently write "Update to <version>", as we do for the vast majority
of updates.

This practice seems to have originated with our 'guix-devel' package,
and iirc for a long time that was the sole exception to our usual
convention.  However, recently I've seen this practice gradually
spreading to other packages, e.g. gcl, kodi, xf86-video-intel, cuirass,
guile2.2-ssh, etc.  I've CC'd the few Guix developers who have started
doing this.

In my opinion, the version number is a very useful piece of information
to see for update commits when browsing the commit history.  I regard
the practice of omitting the version number to be a slowly creeping
regression in our otherwise exceptionally good conventions for commit
logs.  I humbly propose that we nip this regression in the bud.

What do you think?

      Mark

[parent not found: <20171109014628.6934.66587@vcs0.savannah.gnu.org>]