all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* torbrowser
@ 2023-12-28 11:47 Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2023-12-28 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 769 bytes --]

Hi Guix,

I saw that you offer "torbrowser" as a own package.

Does that mean there is a new browser, and it is the torbrowser.

What is then the difference between icecat working over the torbrowser
and the torbrowser itself?

Is it so that in icecat I can install several add-ons, but in torbrowser
no ones or only some? Is that the main difference.

Sorry, for asking basic questions.
I prefer to ask instead of guessing.

Kind regards

Gottfried

Why is HTML email a security nightmare? See https://useplaintext.email/

Please avoid sending me MS-Office attachments.

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: torbrowser
@ 2023-12-28 11:56 ` Clément Lassieur
From: Clément Lassieur @ 2023-12-28 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 28 2023, Gottfried wrote:

> I saw that you offer "torbrowser" as a own package.
>
> Does that mean there is a new browser, and it is the torbrowser.

Yes, it is a new browser, the Tor Browser.

> What is then the difference between icecat working over the torbrowser and the
> torbrowser itself?

I guess you meant "icecat working over tor".

The difference is that a site can identify you based on your browser
settings easily if your browser is Icecat, whereas it's much harder if
it's Tor Browser.  You can check https://coveryourtracks.eff.org to see
if browser settings make you unique.

(Also Tor Browser makes it easy to start the Tor network.)

> Is it so that in icecat I can install several add-ons, but in torbrowser no
> ones or only some? Is that the main difference.

You can install add-ons on both browser, although it's discouraged to do
so with Tor Browser because add-ons can increase your footprint and thus
reduce your online anonymity.

> Sorry, for asking basic questions.
> I prefer to ask instead of guessing.

No problem, feel free to ask anything.

Clément

* EFF  [was: torbrowser]
@ 2023-12-28 16:01   ` Felix Lechner via
From: Felix Lechner via @ 2023-12-28 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Lassieur, Gottfried; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 28 2023, Clément Lassieur wrote:

> You can check https://coveryourtracks.eff.org to see if browser
> settings make you unique.

I personally would be cautious with EFF going forward.

For over thirty years, EFF has meant a lot to me. That changed on
November 16, when I received a survey invite entitled "Help shape the
future of digital rights - participate in our community survey."

To my surprise, the questions were very personal. EFF asked for my age,
race, religion, gender identity, level of education, married status,
number of childen, and "all forms of income" including interest.

None of the items except gender identity offered a non-pushy option like
"prefer not to say."

By page 2 of 6, I found myself unwilling to complete the survey. Had I
fallen prey to a phishing attempt?

My confusion grew further when I noticed that I was on the website
forms.office.com. Would EFF really outsource the collection of my
personal data to Microsoft?

Appalled, I wrote to EFF.

Someone responded by stating that "Your Microsoft Forms survey
submission to us, should you choose to complete one, is not tied to a
unique identifier other than numbering your response. The data is
encrypted at rest by a key we control and Microsoft does not have access
to."

Looking at my browser's address bar, I noticed that the survey URL
appeared to include a personalized identifier in the parameters.

The message continued "Any personal data you share is protected in
keeping with our privacy policy (eff.org/policy) and Microsoft's service
agreement (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement)."

About five weeks later, I received a donation drive from the membership
department. It hit all the comfortable and familiar tunes that my
"rights need protection" and that "EFF is not messing around." They
assured me that "EFF has one guiding star: your freedom as a tech user."

I copied that message in below so everyone can see.

Then I cut all ties to EFF and unsubscribed from all their
communications.

Kind regards,
Felix

* * *

Subject: EFF has a guiding star 🌠
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 13:28:22 +0000

This is a friendly message from the Electronic Frontier Foundation. https://eff.org

     _________ _________ _________
    |  _______|   ______|   ______|
    |  _______|   ______    ______|
    |________| __|     | __|

EFF - Electronic Frontier Foundation

YEAR-END CHALLENGE!

---
Dear Supporter of Digital Freedom,

Do you ever look at something once and then get targeted ads? Have you ever been exposed in some company’s data
breach? Ever heard a lawmaker push restrictions on tech they don’t understand?

To live in the modern world is to interact with technology in ways that are wonderful—and others that are an
absolute pain in the butt. It's not fair to trade in your dignity or safety, and that’s why people like you stand
with the Electronic Frontier Foundation. Will you keep EFF fighting and boost us up in our Year-End Challenge?

GIVE TODAY! https://eff.org/r.ktyq

Make ANY donation by December 31 and you’ll help unlock bonus grants! Every supporter gets us closer to a series of
seven Year-End Challenge grants set by EFF’s board. These grants become larger as the number of online rights
supporters grows. See the counter.

*EFF is Not Messing Around*

Tech touches nearly every aspect of the world, and your rights need protection. Recently, EFF members enabled our
team to:

- Speak out at the United Nations Cybercrime Treaty negotiations to stop the countries of the world from agreeing to
undermine our digital rights.
- Work on multiple court cases that likely inspired a federal judge to rule that cell phone searches at the U.S.
border require a warrant.
- Call out proposals across the globe that would sacrifice your speech and security under the pretense of protecting
children.
- Spell out the dangers of automated license plate readers (ALPRs), leading California’s Attorney General to declare
that it’s illegal to share this data out-of-state.
- Lobby to end Section 702 of the FISA Amendments Act to stop the FBI and NSA’s massive access to our communications
without a warrant.

EFF has one guiding star: your freedom as a tech user. You can help EFF’s lawyers, activists, policy analysts, and
technologists keep advancing toward a brighter future for everybody.

Donate to support digital rights today and you’ll help EFF unlock bonus grants before the year ends:
https://eff.org/r.ktyq

For your freedom online,

Aaron Jue
EFF Membership Team

P.S. We’re celebrating TEN YEARS of top ratings from the nonprofit watchdog Charity Navigator! EFF is a
member-supported U.S. 501(c)(3) organization and your donation is tax-deductible as allowed by law. You can even
start a convenient monthly donation at https://eff.org/r.n4sf

---
Activism | Impact Litigation | Technology

Donate Now: https://eff.org/r.ktyq

About EFF

The Electronic Frontier Foundation is the leading nonprofit defending online civil liberties. We promote digital
innovation, defend free speech, fight illegal surveillance, and protect rights and freedoms for all as our use of
technology grows. Find out more at https://eff.org

This message is printed from 100% recycled electrons.
EFF appreciates your support and respects your privacy [1].
Unsubscribe from all mail [2] or change your email preferences [3]

815 Eddy Street
San Francisco, CA 94109-7701
United States

Links:
------
[1] https://www.eff.org/policy
[2] https://supporters.eff.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=179225&qid=189795464&h=3fed815f1586b69d
[3]
https://supporters.eff.org/update-your-preferences?cid1=1945508&cs=66a36ff28a8601935d261f29d4cd9832_1703165020_672

* Re: EFF  [was: torbrowser]
@ 2023-12-28 16:09     ` Clément Lassieur
From: Clément Lassieur @ 2023-12-28 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Lechner via; +Cc: Gottfried, Felix Lechner

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 28 2023, Felix Lechner via wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Dec 28 2023, Clément Lassieur wrote:
>
>> You can check https://coveryourtracks.eff.org to see if browser
>> settings make you unique.
>
> I personally would be cautious with EFF going forward.

Thanks for telling us, I've just been told about
https://fingerprintjs.github.io/fingerprintjs/, which I'll use too from
now on.