all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* guix fail to reconfigure the system
@ 2018-04-25 16:52 Maitja Obid
From: Maitja Obid @ 2018-04-25 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

I have freshly installed guixsd distribution. Afer running guix pull and
system build i was trying to switch into newly built system with
system reconfigure which gives me next error:

  root@hostname ~# guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm
  guix system: error: stat: No such file or directory: "system"

What can be wrong?

--
Matija

* Re: guix fail to reconfigure the system
@ 2018-04-25 20:43 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-04-25 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maitja Obid; +Cc: help-guix

Hello Maitja,

Maitja Obid <matija.obid@gmx.com> skribis:

> I have freshly installed guixsd distribution. Afer running guix pull and
> system build i was trying to switch into newly built system with
> system reconfigure which gives me next error:
>
>   root@hostname ~# guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm
>   guix system: error: stat: No such file or directory: "system"
>
> What can be wrong?

No idea at first sight.  Could you share your config.scm?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: guix fail to reconfigure the system
@ 2018-04-25 21:17   ` Matija Obid
From: Matija Obid @ 2018-04-25 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Hello Maitja,
>
> Maitja Obid <matija.obid@gmx.com> skribis:
>
>> I have freshly installed guixsd distribution. Afer running guix pull and
>> system build i was trying to switch into newly built system with
>> system reconfigure which gives me next error:
>>
>>   root@hostname ~# guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm
>>   guix system: error: stat: No such file or directory: "system"
>>
>> What can be wrong?
>
> No idea at first sight.  Could you share your config.scm?
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

Configuration:
  (use-modules (gnu)
               (gnu system nss)
               (gnu bootloader)
               (gnu bootloader grub)
               (gnu system file-systems)
               (guix packages)
               (guix git-download)
               (guix download)
               (guix build-system trivial)
               (gnu packages linux)
               (gnu packages emacs)
               (gnu packages firmware)
               (gnu packages certs)
               (gnu packages gnome))
  (use-service-modules desktop)

  (operating-system
   (host-name "X")
   (timezone "Europe/Ljubljana")
   (locale "en_US.utf8")

   (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
                (bootloader grub-bootloader)
                (target "/dev/sda")))

   (file-systems (cons (file-system
                        (device "system")
                        (mount-point "/")
                        (type "ext4"))
                       %base-file-systems))

   (swap-devices '("/dev/sda2"))

   (users (cons (user-account
                 (name "matija")
                 (group "users")
                 (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev"
                                         "audio" "video"))
                 (home-directory "/home/matija"))
                %base-user-accounts))

   (packages (cons* emacs-exwm
                    nss-certs         ;for HTTPS access
                    gvfs              ;for user mounts
                    %base-packages))
   (services (cons* (gnome-desktop-service)
                    (modify-services
                     %desktop-services
                     (guix-service-type
                      config =>
                      (guix-configuration
                       (inherit config)
                       (substitute-urls (list "https://berlin.guixsd.org")))))))
   ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
   (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss))

--

@ 2018-04-25 23:05     ` Clément Lassieur
From: Clément Lassieur @ 2018-04-25 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matija Obid; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Matija,

Matija Obid <matija.obid@gmx.com> writes:

> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> Hello Maitja,
>>
>> Maitja Obid <matija.obid@gmx.com> skribis:
>>
>>> I have freshly installed guixsd distribution. Afer running guix pull and
>>> system build i was trying to switch into newly built system with
>>> system reconfigure which gives me next error:
>>>
>>>   root@hostname ~# guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm
>>>   guix system: error: stat: No such file or directory: "system"
>>>
>>> What can be wrong?
>>
>> No idea at first sight.  Could you share your config.scm?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ludo’.

[...]

>    (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
>                 (bootloader grub-bootloader)
>                 (target "/dev/sda")))
>
>    (file-systems (cons (file-system
>                         (device "system")
>                         (mount-point "/")
>                         (type "ext4"))
>                        %base-file-systems))

The meaning of 'device' depends of 'title', whose default value is
'device.  So right now Guix looks for a node under /dev, but there is no
/dev/system.

You probably forgot to add (type 'label), if "system" refers to the file
system label name.  Or alternatively you could use (device "/dev/sdaX").

You can have a look at
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#index-file_002dsystem
for more details.

Good luck!
Clément

* Re: guix fail to reconfigure the system
@ 2018-04-26  3:16       ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-04-26  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Lassieur; +Cc: help-guix

In general I think `guix system` error feedback tends to be a tad too
shy.  Are there some plans to make them more explicit and precise?

--
Pierre Neidhardt

Providence, New Jersey, is one of the few cities where Velveeta cheese
appears on the gourmet shelf.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: guix fail to reconfigure the system
@ 2018-04-27  4:07         ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-04-27  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: help-guix, Clément Lassieur

Pierre Neidhardt <ambrevar@gmail.com> writes:

> In general I think `guix system` error feedback tends to be a tad too
> shy.  Are there some plans to make them more explicit and precise?

Did you know that you can ask for more verbose feedback with the
--on-error option?  See (guix) Invoking guix system for details.

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: guix fail to reconfigure the system
@ 2018-04-27  9:07           ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-04-27  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: help-guix, Clément Lassieur

Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> writes:

> Pierre Neidhardt <ambrevar@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> In general I think `guix system` error feedback tends to be a tad too
>> shy.  Are there some plans to make them more explicit and precise?
>
> Did you know that you can ask for more verbose feedback with the
> --on-error option?  See (guix) Invoking guix system for details.

No I had missed that!  Thanks for pointing it out!

--
Pierre Neidhardt

Never tell a lie unless it is absolutely convenient.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: guix fail to reconfigure the system
@ 2018-04-30 10:44           ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2018-04-30 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi

On 2018-04-27 06:07, Chris Marusich wrote:
> Pierre Neidhardt <ambrevar@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> In general I think `guix system` error feedback tends to be a tad too
>> shy.  Are there some plans to make them more explicit and precise?
> Did you know that you can ask for more verbose feedback with the
> --on-error option?  See (guix) Invoking guix system for details.

According to the manual this is the default strategy:

|nothing-special|

    Report the error concisely and exit. This is the default strategy.

Which in the case of Matija reports:

    guix system: error: stat: No such file or directory: "system"

Maybe we should add to this error message an information about the
ability to choose another error strategy (to have more information about
what went wrong), e.g.:

    guix system: error: stat: No such file or directory: "system"
    Note: More information on the error is availiable by choosing another error strategy.
    See (guix) Invoking guix system for details.

Cheers

Swedebugia

* Re: guix fail to reconfigure the system
@ 2018-04-30 16:31             ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-04-30 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net> skribis:

> Which in the case of Matija reports:
>
>    guix system: error: stat: No such file or directory: "system"

For the record, this error was really a bug.  Ironically, the bug was
introduced as we added more sanity checks to ‘guix system’ that would
prevent users from doing ‘init’ or ‘reconfigure’ for a system that would
fail to boot.   :-)

Anyway, this commit fixes it:

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=6ddb59607be810caa1aa40b402b38564d8d9a6bc

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: guix fail to reconfigure the system
@ 2018-04-30 20:21               ` Clément Lassieur
From: Clément Lassieur @ 2018-04-30 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net> skribis:
>
>> Which in the case of Matija reports:
>>
>>    guix system: error: stat: No such file or directory: "system"
>
> For the record, this error was really a bug.  Ironically, the bug was
> introduced as we added more sanity checks to ‘guix system’ that would
> prevent users from doing ‘init’ or ‘reconfigure’ for a system that would
> fail to boot.   :-)
>
> Anyway, this commit fixes it:
>
>   https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=6ddb59607be810caa1aa40b402b38564d8d9a6bc

Nice, thank you Ludo!

* Re: guix fail to reconfigure the system
@ 2018-05-05 13:42             ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2018-05-05 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: help-guix