all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Renewing certificates with certbot
@ 2019-02-22 13:49 Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2019-02-22 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

I use certificates from let's encrypt for my website and mail servers,
and found that there was an issue with certificates generated by the
certbot service in Guix: the generated private keys are world-readable
(in a directory that cannot be accessed by anyone but root, so it's OK I
guess). OpenSMTPD is not happy with that though, so I have to chmod the
files every time. I came up with a variant of the deploy-hook that's
presented in the manual, and I'd like to update the example with it.
Here it is:

;; Find running nginx and reload its configuration (for certificates)
(define %my-deploy-hook
   (program-file
    "my-deploy-hook"
    #~(let* ((pid (call-with-input-file "/var/run/nginx/pid" read))
             (cert-dir (getenv "RENEWED_LINEAGE"))
             (privkey (string-append cert-dir "/privkey.pem")))
        ;; certbot private keys are world-readable by default, and smtpd
complains
        ;; about that, refusing to start otherwise
        (chmod privkey #o600)
        (kill pid SIGHUP))))

What do you think?

* Re: Renewing certificates with certbot
@ 2019-02-22 17:57 ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2019-02-22 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 2019-02-22 14:49, Julien Lepiller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use certificates from let's encrypt for my website and mail servers,
> and found that there was an issue with certificates generated by the
> certbot service in Guix: the generated private keys are world-readable
> (in a directory that cannot be accessed by anyone but root, so it's OK I
> guess). OpenSMTPD is not happy with that though, so I have to chmod the
> files every time. I came up with a variant of the deploy-hook that's
> presented in the manual, and I'd like to update the example with it.
> Here it is:
>
> ;; Find running nginx and reload its configuration (for certificates)
> (define %my-deploy-hook
>   (program-file
>    "my-deploy-hook"
>    #~(let* ((pid (call-with-input-file "/var/run/nginx/pid" read))
>             (cert-dir (getenv "RENEWED_LINEAGE"))
>             (privkey (string-append cert-dir "/privkey.pem")))
>        ;; certbot private keys are world-readable by default, and smtpd
> complains
>        ;; about that, refusing to start otherwise
>        (chmod privkey #o600)
>        (kill pid SIGHUP))))
>
> What do you think?

LGTM.

--
Cheers Swedebugia

* Re: Renewing certificates with certbot
@ 2019-03-06 13:42 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-03-06 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> skribis:

> I use certificates from let's encrypt for my website and mail servers,
> and found that there was an issue with certificates generated by the
> certbot service in Guix: the generated private keys are world-readable
> (in a directory that cannot be accessed by anyone but root, so it's OK
> I guess). OpenSMTPD is not happy with that though, so I have to chmod
> the files every time. I came up with a variant of the deploy-hook
> that's presented in the manual, and I'd like to update the example
> with it. Here it is:
>
> ;; Find running nginx and reload its configuration (for certificates)
> (define %my-deploy-hook
>   (program-file
>    "my-deploy-hook"
>    #~(let* ((pid (call-with-input-file "/var/run/nginx/pid" read))
>             (cert-dir (getenv "RENEWED_LINEAGE"))
>             (privkey (string-append cert-dir "/privkey.pem")))
>        ;; certbot private keys are world-readable by default, and
> smtpd complains
>        ;; about that, refusing to start otherwise
>        (chmod privkey #o600)
>        (kill pid SIGHUP))))
>
> What do you think?

It sounds like a serious issue that private keys are world-readable.  Is
it a bug on our side or in Certbot?  I think we should fix it so that
they are never world-readable, rather than document how to work around
the bug.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Renewing certificates with certbot
@ 2019-03-06 13:51   ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2019-03-06 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Le 2019-03-06 14:42, Ludovic Courtès a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> skribis:
>
>> I use certificates from let's encrypt for my website and mail servers,
>> and found that there was an issue with certificates generated by the
>> certbot service in Guix: the generated private keys are world-readable
>> (in a directory that cannot be accessed by anyone but root, so it's OK
>> I guess). OpenSMTPD is not happy with that though, so I have to chmod
>> the files every time. I came up with a variant of the deploy-hook
>> that's presented in the manual, and I'd like to update the example
>> with it. Here it is:
>>
>> ;; Find running nginx and reload its configuration (for certificates)
>> (define %my-deploy-hook
>>   (program-file
>>    "my-deploy-hook"
>>    #~(let* ((pid (call-with-input-file "/var/run/nginx/pid" read))
>>             (cert-dir (getenv "RENEWED_LINEAGE"))
>>             (privkey (string-append cert-dir "/privkey.pem")))
>>        ;; certbot private keys are world-readable by default, and
>> smtpd complains
>>        ;; about that, refusing to start otherwise
>>        (chmod privkey #o600)
>>        (kill pid SIGHUP))))
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> It sounds like a serious issue that private keys are world-readable.
> Is
> it a bug on our side or in Certbot?  I think we should fix it so that
> they are never world-readable, rather than document how to work around
> the bug.
>
> WDYT?
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

I don't think this is an issue: the file is world-readable, but the
directory
it's in is not accessible to anyone but root. OpenSMTPD still complains,
but I think there's no security issue.

* Re: Renewing certificates with certbot
@ 2019-03-06 14:12     ` Giovanni Biscuolo
From: Giovanni Biscuolo @ 2019-03-06 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller, Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Julien,

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> writes:

[...]

> I don't think this is an issue: the file is world-readable, but the
> directory
> it's in is not accessible to anyone but root. OpenSMTPD still complains,
> but I think there's no security issue.

not a seriuos (security) issue but an issue (service warning) should be
fixed anyway IMHO, other *future* services could be affacted by this and
complain or not start at all

your fix should be applied in certbot-service-type service definition if
possible (and reported upstream if it depends on the software)

WDYT?

sorry I can't help fixing this

Thanks!
Giovanni

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Renewing certificates with certbot
@ 2019-03-06 14:19     ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2019-03-06 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: guix-devel

Julien Lepiller transcribed 1.6K bytes:
> Le 2019-03-06 14:42, Ludovic Courtès a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> skribis:
> >
> > > I use certificates from let's encrypt for my website and mail servers,
> > > and found that there was an issue with certificates generated by the
> > > certbot service in Guix: the generated private keys are world-readable
> > > (in a directory that cannot be accessed by anyone but root, so it's OK
> > > I guess). OpenSMTPD is not happy with that though, so I have to chmod
> > > the files every time. I came up with a variant of the deploy-hook
> > > that's presented in the manual, and I'd like to update the example
> > > with it. Here it is:
> > >
> > > ;; Find running nginx and reload its configuration (for certificates)
> > > (define %my-deploy-hook
> > >   (program-file
> > >    "my-deploy-hook"
> > >    #~(let* ((pid (call-with-input-file "/var/run/nginx/pid" read))
> > >             (cert-dir (getenv "RENEWED_LINEAGE"))
> > >             (privkey (string-append cert-dir "/privkey.pem")))
> > >        ;; certbot private keys are world-readable by default, and
> > > smtpd complains
> > >        ;; about that, refusing to start otherwise
> > >        (chmod privkey #o600)
> > >        (kill pid SIGHUP))))
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> >
> > It sounds like a serious issue that private keys are world-readable.  Is
> > it a bug on our side or in Certbot?  I think we should fix it so that

It's a certbot default, on all all systems.

@ 2019-03-06 14:33       ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2019-03-06 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Le 2019-03-06 15:19, ng0@n0.is a écrit :
> Julien Lepiller transcribed 1.6K bytes:
>> Le 2019-03-06 14:42, Ludovic Courtès a écrit :
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> skribis:

>> > It sounds like a serious issue that private keys are world-readable.  Is
>> > it a bug on our side or in Certbot?  I think we should fix it so that
>
> It's a certbot default, on all all systems.

Actually, reading https://github.com/certbot/certbot/issues/1473
suggests
it's not the case anymore. I was probably running an older version
of certbot.

@ 2019-03-06 16:26         ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2019-03-06 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: guix-devel

Julien Lepiller transcribed 2.1K bytes:
> Le 2019-03-06 15:19, ng0@n0.is a écrit :
> > Julien Lepiller transcribed 1.6K bytes:

> > It's a certbot default, on all all systems.
>
> Actually, reading https://github.com/certbot/certbot/issues/1473 suggests
> it's not the case anymore. I was probably running an older version
> of certbot.

Thanks for pointing me to this, I wasn't aware of this

@ 2019-03-22  8:00 ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2019-03-22  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Julien,

Sorry for the late reply.

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> writes:

> I use certificates from let's encrypt for my website and mail servers,
> and found that there was an issue with certificates generated by the
> certbot service in Guix: the generated private keys are world-readable
> (in a directory that cannot be accessed by anyone but root, so it's OK
> I guess). OpenSMTPD is not happy with that though, so I have to chmod
> the files every time. I came up with a variant of the deploy-hook
> that's presented in the manual, and I'd like to update the example
> with it. Here it is:
>
> ;; Find running nginx and reload its configuration (for certificates)
> (define %my-deploy-hook
>   (program-file
>    "my-deploy-hook"
>    #~(let* ((pid (call-with-input-file "/var/run/nginx/pid" read))
>             (cert-dir (getenv "RENEWED_LINEAGE"))
>             (privkey (string-append cert-dir "/privkey.pem")))
>        ;; certbot private keys are world-readable by default, and
> smtpd complains
>        ;; about that, refusing to start otherwise
>        (chmod privkey #o600)
>        (kill pid SIGHUP))))
>
> What do you think?

I think it would be harmless to include as an example.  Since nobody has
said anything in a few weeks, I'd say commit it!

As for certbot's behavior, do you know why it creates the private keys
world-readable in the first place?  That seems strange.  Can certbot
itself be fixed so it doesn't do that?  If not, can we update the
service definition to somehow do this automatically for people (e.g.,
provide an optional, included-by-default deploy hook)?

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Renewing certificates with certbot
@ 2019-03-22 10:55 Clément Lassieur
From: Clément Lassieur @ 2019-03-22 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cmmarusich; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Chris,

Unless I misunderstood, this email[1] from Julien suggests that the
issue was that certbot was too old, but it was fixed upstream.

Cheers,
Clément

[1]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-03/msg00070.html

* Re: Renewing certificates with certbot
@ 2019-03-23  1:08 ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2019-03-23  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Lassieur; +Cc: guix-devel