all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: julien lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu>
To: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Translating to Chinese, Spanish and Japanese (and more)
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2018 10:28:20 +0100	[thread overview]

Le 2018-02-05 10:07, Pjotr Prins a écrit :
> We would like have the website translated to Chinese and some other
> languages that represent a large group of non-native English speakers,
> such as Spanish, Bengali and Japanese. For this we need to add support
> for i8n to haunt, which is a technical issue, but we also would like
> to invite native speakers to come forward and perhaps introduce some
> helpers who are interested in spreading free software in places that
> need it!
>
> It is not meant to be a lot of work, one day per language would
> probably
> do. But it needs to be someone who understands free software to get
> the lingo right. How do you translate 'rolling software deployment'.
> You don't want it to be 'fuming dragon on carpet', though that may
> actually be the better representation ;)
>
> We can start simply translating the front page and perhaps one or two
> blogs. I think that once we bootstrap there will be more people
> pitching in. But you need to get the attention first.
>
> Just a small sacrifice of your time with tremendous potential impact!

Hi,

as I said during FOSDEM, I'm willing to translate the website, blog
posts, and manual into French.  My only concern is that the translations
may fall out of sync without anyone noticing.  With gettext, it's easy
to know when strings are not translated, but what about the solution
that would be used by haunt?