all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* New topic: packaging
@ 2019-02-11 14:38 Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-02-11 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hi Guix again!

Another topic is about showing how to package.

Gábor suggested maybe using my experience about creating a new R package.

My idea is to show how to look for a package that is not packaged,
package it and the workflow for testing it with git am and send it to
the patches list. WDTY?

Again, let's the discussion start and let's have in mind our friendly
reminder that it is introductory, not the whole manual, and it is also
a note to self ;)

Regards!
Laura

* Re: New topic: packaging
@ 2019-02-11 15:49 ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-02-11 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

GuixSD declared features are academic way of evolution.
Guile instead of self-made language.
Transactions and wide control of packages versions instead of on the wing updates that break the system.
Sorry my French.
If we describe the advantages of Guix for the users, there will be many sites where discussions will go on.

Feb 11, 2019, 2:38 PM by laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com:

> Hi Guix again!
>
> Another topic is about showing how to package.
>
> Gábor suggested maybe using my experience about creating a new R package.
>
> My idea is to show how to look for a package that is not packaged,
> package it and the workflow for testing it with git am and send it to
> the patches list. WDTY?
>
> Again, let's the discussion start and let's have in mind our friendly
> reminder that it is introductory, not the whole manual, and it is also
> a note to self ;)
>
> Regards!
> Laura

* Re: New topic: packaging
@ 2019-02-13  3:03   ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-02-13  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: Guix-devel

Just wanted to let you know that we will be discussing the content
ofthis video by mail until Friday 7:00 UTC .
After that, feel free to join ##guix-outreachy for the final
discussion on Friday at 12:00 UTC.
Regards :)

* Re: New topic: packaging
@ 2019-02-13  9:13 ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2019-02-13  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 11:38:21 -0300
Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Guix again!
>
> Another topic is about showing how to package.
>
> Gábor suggested maybe using my experience about creating a new R
> package.
>
> My idea is to show how to look for a package that is not packaged,
> package it and the workflow for testing it with git am and send it to
> the patches list. WDTY?

Aggreed on R: There is the importer to show, and R-packages are usually
easy to go.

We have the rough idea of steps to take in the manual. Point people to
the right chapter here.

Then it would involve the whole things:

* git clone ...
* go into guix directory
* Enter the environment:
  guix environment guix
  --> Explain what happens here and what's so cool about it.
* ./bootstrap
* ./configure --localstatedir=/var
* make
* Then the import begins:
* ./pre-inst-env guix import ...
* [hack file, using emacs, maybe ./pre-inst guix edit new-package]
* ./pre-iinst-env guix build new-package
* Check:
  ./pre-inst-env guix lint new-package
* Finally:
  Commit, take care of the correct commit messsages
* git format-patch and maybe git send-email

This is a lot for even a simple R package but I don't see how/where we
could leave out steps without confusing people.

Björn

* Re: New topic: packaging
@ 2019-02-14 14:41   ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-02-14 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello,

> Then it would involve the whole things:
>
> * git clone ...
> * go into guix directory
> * Enter the environment:
>   guix environment guix
>   --> Explain what happens here and what's so cool about it.
> * ./bootstrap
> * ./configure --localstatedir=/var
> * make
> * Then the import begins:
> * ./pre-inst-env guix import ...
> * [hack file, using emacs, maybe ./pre-inst guix edit new-package]
> * ./pre-iinst-env guix build new-package
> * Check:
>   ./pre-inst-env guix lint new-package
> * Finally:
>   Commit, take care of the correct commit messsages
> * git format-patch and maybe git send-email

Yes, I agree to this outline. One possibility if it turns out to be
too much for a single video, is to spilt it up.

Like:
1. building guix from source:
> * git clone ...
> * go into guix directory
> * Enter the environment:
>   guix environment guix
>   --> Explain what happens here and what's so cool about it.
> * ./bootstrap
> * ./configure --localstatedir=/var
> * make

2. creating your package:
> * Then the import begins:
> * ./pre-inst-env guix import ...
> * [hack file, using emacs, maybe ./pre-inst guix edit new-package]
> * ./pre-iinst-env guix build new-package

3. checks:
guix lint
guix size
guix build --rounds=2
guix refresh -l (when updating instead of adding)

4. follow up activities:
creating the patch
sending the patch
following it on the issue tracker
incorporating feedback and resending...

WDYT?

In these series we could reference the other parts.

I would perfer to keep as few parts as possible, but this
is one way to split and organize it.

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: New topic: packaging
@ 2019-02-14 14:55     ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-02-14 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi!
was planning to add my point of view a little later, after finishing
my draft of everyday use, which I am also finding that only with
concepts and showing the basic commands lasts three minutes up to now,
and I still have a lot to show/mention.

> Yes, I agree to this outline. One possibility if it turns out to be
> too much for a single video, is to spilt it up.
I agree, it is a LOT for a single video, but don't you think we are
kind of turning the whole documentation into videos? I don't mind
making as many videos as possible, but I am getting that sense.
Specially if a 5 min video is too long. That is why I thought of
packaging an R package, explaining maybe what "each line of the
package" means, and then people can read the documentation to create
their owns. But again, I don't mind. I create the videos that you find
more useful.

> 4. follow up activities:
> creating the patch
> sending the patch
> following it on the issue tracker
> incorporating feedback and resending...
> WDYT?
This could be included in the R package video.

* Re: New topic: packaging
@ 2019-02-17  9:02   ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2019-02-17  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling, Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

"Björn Höfling" <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de> skrev: (13 februari 2019 10:13:22 CET)
>On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 11:38:21 -0300
>Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Guix again!
>>
>> Another topic is about showing how to package.
>>
>> Gábor suggested maybe using my experience about creating a new R
>> package.
>>
>> My idea is to show how to look for a package that is not packaged,
>> package it and the workflow for testing it with git am and send it to
>> the patches list. WDTY?
>
>Aggreed on R: There is the importer to show, and R-packages are usually
>easy to go.
>
>We have the rough idea of steps to take in the manual. Point people to
>the right chapter here.
>
>Then it would involve the whole things:
>
>* git clone ...
>* go into guix directory
>* Enter the environment:
>  guix environment guix
>  --> Explain what happens here and what's so cool about it.
>* ./bootstrap
>* ./configure --localstatedir=/var
>* make
>* Then the import begins:
>* ./pre-inst-env guix import ...
>* [hack file, using emacs, maybe ./pre-inst guix edit new-package]
>* ./pre-iinst-env guix build new-package
>* Check:
>  ./pre-inst-env guix lint new-package
>* Finally:
>  Commit, take care of the correct commit messsages
>* git format-patch and maybe git send-email
>
>This is a lot for even a simple R package but I don't see how/where we
>could leave out steps without confusing people.
>
>Björn

Hi.

Am I late to the party?

Here is my two cents.

I suggest splitting this in multiple videos.
Split after make is finished.

I agree it is hard to cover less than this if we want to nudge people into contributing new packages and guide them the whole way.

If you decide to go with
./pre-inst guix edit new-package
then I suggest we fool proof it by prepending EDITOR=emacs

Given this I suggest the video starting after make also include setting up emacs. This might even warrant its own short video. So we end up with 3!

Generally I think shorter videos to the point are preferred over long ones bundling multiple things.

Maybe we should cut it also after successful build and test and make the comitting a separate video. That gives us 4 in total 😃
--
Sent from my k-9 mail for Android.

* Re: New topic: packaging
@ 2019-02-18 21:16     ` Björn Höfling