unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Help, and get help reviewing patches this Friday (18th)
@ 2020-12-17 15:05 Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2020-12-17 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hey,

I mentioned in [1] that some "Scheduled and regular collaboration on IRC
to review patches" might help both get some patches reviewed, but help
get more people involved in reviewing patches, even if they haven't done
so before.

1: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-11/msg00583.html

The suggestion came to do this on a Friday, and I have some time
tomorrow (Friday the 18th) that I can set aside to be on IRC and try and
help.

To join in, connect to #guix on Freenode [2], and say "I'd like to
review some patches".

2: https://guix.gnu.org/en/contact/irc/

While normally you'd review patches other people have submitted, this is
also an opportunity to find someone to review patches that you've
submitted, or even to get guidance on reviewing your own patches.

Chris (cbaines on IRC)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Help, and get help reviewing patches this Friday (18th)
@ 2020-12-17 16:02 ` Jack Hill
From: Jack Hill @ 2020-12-17 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: guix-devel

On Thu, 17 Dec 2020, Christopher Baines wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I mentioned in [1] that some "Scheduled and regular collaboration on IRC
> to review patches" might help both get some patches reviewed, but help
> get more people involved in reviewing patches, even if they haven't done
> so before.
>
> 1: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-11/msg00583.html
>
> The suggestion came to do this on a Friday, and I have some time
> tomorrow (Friday the 18th) that I can set aside to be on IRC and try and
> help.

Thanks, this sounds like a great initiative, and I'll try to drop by. I'm
in North America though, so I might be a little tardy (despite how much
fun the 4am Guix Day was!).

On the topic of patch review, I was recently asked how I reviewed a
proposed Go upgrade. I responded on the bug tracker [0]. I'd be interested
in hearing critiques on the method I used. It might be nice to collect
some recipes for reviewing different kinds of changes in the cookbook :)

[0] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/45161#11

Best,
Jack

* Re: Help, and get help reviewing patches this Friday (18th)
@ 2020-12-17 18:19   ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2020-12-17 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Hill; +Cc: guix-devel

Jack Hill <jackhill@jackhill.us> writes:

> On Thu, 17 Dec 2020, Christopher Baines wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> I mentioned in [1] that some "Scheduled and regular collaboration on IRC
>> to review patches" might help both get some patches reviewed, but help
>> get more people involved in reviewing patches, even if they haven't done
>> so before.
>>
>> 1: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-11/msg00583.html
>>
>> The suggestion came to do this on a Friday, and I have some time
>> tomorrow (Friday the 18th) that I can set aside to be on IRC and try and
>> help.
>
> Thanks, this sounds like a great initiative, and I'll try to drop
> by. I'm in North America though, so I might be a little tardy (despite
> how much fun the 4am Guix Day was!).

Great, and there's no such thing as being late in this case, well, apart
from me sending the email, it was already tomorrow in some places!

> On the topic of patch review, I was recently asked how I reviewed a
> proposed Go upgrade. I responded on the bug tracker [0]. I'd be
> interested in hearing critiques on the method I used. It might be nice
> to collect some recipes for reviewing different kinds of changes in
> the cookbook :)
>
> [0] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/45161#11

Yeah, this is stuff it would be neat to share. On my side, I've been
working on tooling (Guix Data Service, Guix Build Coordinator) to do a
similar thing (build packages that are affected by patches, and compare
the builds to identify breakages).

Thanks,

Chris

@ 2020-12-18 16:56 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-12-18 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi!

Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> skribis:

> I mentioned in [1] that some "Scheduled and regular collaboration on IRC
> to review patches" might help both get some patches reviewed, but help
> get more people involved in reviewing patches, even if they haven't done
> so before.
>
> 1: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-11/msg00583.html
>
> The suggestion came to do this on a Friday, and I have some time
> tomorrow (Friday the 18th) that I can set aside to be on IRC and try and
> help.

I’ve done a bit of that earlier today.

Friday’s not over, so you can help!  For example:

  • If you submitted a patch and it hasn’t been reviewed yet, ping
    committers on #guix and let’s discuss it live!

  • If you’re a committer, take a look at patches of yours that have
    been reviewed but not pushed yet (there are quite a few!).

  • If you’re interested in someone else’s patch, ping people and
    provide feedback to help pull it off.

Ludo’.

* Re: Help, and get help reviewing patches this Friday (18th)
@ 2020-12-18 21:09   ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-12-18 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, guix-devel

Hi,

On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 at 17:56, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> Friday’s not over, so you can help!  For example:

[...]

>   • If you’re interested in someone else’s patch, ping people and
>     provide feedback to help pull it off.

Let try to close the oldest patch bug#20255. ;-)

  <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/20255>

From my understanding, it is almost there.

All the best,
simon

* Re: Help, and get help reviewing patches this Friday (18th)
@ 2020-12-20 10:25 ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2020-12-20 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: guix-devel