unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* package requests
@ 2020-04-25 11:38 Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2020-04-25 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Say that some people file bugs in the Guix issue tracker requesting the
packaging of some software projects

Can a list of such requests be seen in any way ?

I remember reading a thread about this some time ago but I can't find it
anymore and I don't remember how it ended, if it ended

I'd like to be able to file issues for the packaging of some Guile
libraries and follow the development of those

And maybe someone else could use such system to request the packaging of
non Guile related stuff

Is there any repository anywhere hosting a project for extracting such
requests from the issue tracker and displaying them nicely in a web page?

Is there any specific tagging scheme to be used for package requests filing
?

Thanks

* Re: package requests
@ 2020-04-25 12:55 ` Nicolò Balzarotti
From: Nicolò Balzarotti @ 2020-04-25 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano, guix-devel

Hi!
Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> writes:

> Say that some people file bugs in the Guix issue tracker requesting the
> packaging of some software projects
>
> Can a list of such requests be seen in any way ?
Maybe you are referring to this?

https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/Wishlist

> I remember reading a thread about this some time ago but I can't find it
> anymore and I don't remember how it ended, if it ended
>
> I'd like to be able to file issues for the packaging of some Guile
> libraries and follow the development of those
>
> And maybe someone else could use such system to request the packaging of
> non Guile related stuff
>
> Is there any repository anywhere hosting a project for extracting such
> requests from the issue tracker and displaying them nicely in a web page?
>
> Is there any specific tagging scheme to be used for package requests filing
> ?
>
> Thanks

Nicolò

* Re: package requests
@ 2020-04-25 13:06 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2020-04-25 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Catonano,

Catonano 写道:
> Say that some people file bugs in the Guix issue tracker
> requesting the
> packaging of some software projects
>
> Can a list of such requests be seen in any way ?

[…]

> Is there any specific tagging scheme to be used for package
> requests filing ?

Not that I know of.  It's all very ad-hoc and things get lost &
forgotten.

<https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/Wishlist> is the closest
thing we have to an ‘official’ list.

While a structured approach would be much better than our wiki
page, I prefer that wiki page over *our* bug tracker.

Please, if you see any package requests on the (bug) mailing
lists, tell them about it and help keep it up to date.

> Is there any repository anywhere hosting a project for
> extracting such
> requests from the issue tracker and displaying them nicely in a
> web page?

That would be nice.  I do wonder if making things shinier will
suffice to lure those elusive packaging gnomes.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: package requests
@ 2020-04-25 13:52 ` sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2020-04-25 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: guix-devel

 ---- On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 11:38:07 +0000 Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> wrote ----
 > Say that some people file bugs in the Guix issue tracker requesting the packaging of some software projects
 > Can a list of such requests be seen in any way ?
 > I remember reading a thread about this some time ago but I can't find it anymore and I don't remember how it ended, if it ended

Maybe this one? https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-03/msg00231.html

* Re: package requests
@ 2020-04-26 21:03   ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2020-04-26 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sirgazil; +Cc: guix-devel

Il giorno sab 25 apr 2020 alle ore 15:52 sirgazil <sirgazil@zoho.com> ha
scritto:

>  ---- On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 11:38:07 +0000 Catonano <catonano@gmail.com>
> wrote ----
>  > Say that some people file bugs in the Guix issue tracker requesting the
> packaging of some software projects
>  > Can a list of such requests be seen in any way ?
>  > I remember reading a thread about this some time ago but I can't find
> it anymore and I don't remember how it ended, if it ended
>
> Maybe this one?
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-03/msg00231.html

yes, thanks. This is exactly the thread I saw

* Re: package requests
@ 2020-04-26 21:14   ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2020-04-26 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, sirgazil; +Cc: guix-devel

Il giorno sab 25 apr 2020 alle ore 15:06 Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr>
ha scritto:

> Hi Catonano,
>
> Catonano 写道:
> > Say that some people file bugs in the Guix issue tracker
> > requesting the
> > packaging of some software projects
> >
> > Can a list of such requests be seen in any way ?
>
> […]
>
> > Is there any specific tagging scheme to be used for package
> > requests filing ?
>
> Not that I know of.  It's all very ad-hoc and things get lost &
> forgotten.
>
> <https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/Wishlist> is the closest
> thing we have to an ‘official’ list.
>
> While a structured approach would be much better than our wiki
> page, I prefer that wiki page over *our* bug tracker.

don't you like Debbugs ?

I can see why

Have you seen this, anyway ?

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-03/msg00238.html

Sirgazil proposed to send a patch to allow Debbugs to tag package requests
so that they could be easily searched

I'd be fine with either solution, as long as it's accepted by the wider
community

* Re: package requests
@ 2020-04-27 16:07     ` sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2020-04-27 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, guix-devel

 ---- On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 04:14:52 +0000 Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> wrote ----

 > Il giorno sab 25 apr 2020 alle ore 15:06 Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> ha scritto:
 > Hi Catonano,
 >
 > Catonano 写道:
 > > Say that some people file bugs in the Guix issue tracker
 > > requesting the
 > > packaging of some software projects
 > >
 > > Can a list of such requests be seen in any way ?
 >
 > […]
 >
 > > Is there any specific tagging scheme to be used for package
 > > requests filing ?
 >
 > Not that I know of.  It's all very ad-hoc and things get lost &
 > forgotten.
 >
 > <https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/Wishlist> is the closest
 > thing we have to an ‘official’ list.
 >
 > While a structured approach would be much better than our wiki
 > page, I prefer that wiki page over *our* bug tracker.
 >
 > don't you like Debbugs ?
 > I can see why
 > Have you seen this, anyway ?
 > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-03/msg00238.html
 > Sirgazil proposed to send a patch to allow Debbugs to tag package requests so that they could be easily searched

Not really patch Debbugs, but patch the website with proposed changes to make any list of requested packages visible (and add instructions to request new packages).

I still think Debbugs could be used for package requests, even if it doesn't support custom tags like "package request". One could instruct people to send requests to bug-guix@gnu.org using a provided template. For example:

   Subject: [PACKAGE REQUEST] Add Some Software
   Body: Some other necessary information (website, license?)

Then, maybe link to issues.gnu.org with a query like this:

  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/search?query=%5BPACKAGE+REQUEST%5D+in%3Asubject+is%3Aopen

(The in:subject filter doesn't exist, though).

* Re: package requests
@ 2020-04-27 16:42       ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2020-04-27 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sirgazil; +Cc: guix-devel