unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* [Post Installation]: Unable to guix pull
@ 2018-11-03 22:51 rohit yadav
From: rohit yadav @ 2018-11-03 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

After installing the guix on my ubuntu workstation. I am finding the
following error when trying to install guix-locales. Apparently, the
https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org returns 504 . I am not sure if the server is
down or something else is wrong.

#+begin_log
substitute: guix substitute: warning: while fetching '
https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org/nix-cache-info': 504 ("Gateway Time-out")
substitute: guix substitute: warning: ignoring substitute server at '"
https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org"'
#+end_log

Thanks,
Rohit

* Re: [Post Installation]: Unable to guix pull
@ 2018-11-04  5:50 ` Alex Vong
From: Alex Vong @ 2018-11-04  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rohit yadav; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

Yes, hydra is currently off-line for maintainence. You can find the
relevant thread here[0]. It was suggested to use
'https://berlin.guixsd.org' as the primary source of substitutes.

For examples, I add the following option to 'guix-daemon.service':
  --substitute-urls='https://berlin.guixsd.org https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org https://hydra.gnu.org'

Cheers,
Alex

[0]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2018-11/msg00016.html

rohit yadav <rohityadav@utexas.edu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> After installing the guix on my ubuntu workstation. I am finding the following error when
> trying to install guix-locales. Apparently, the https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org returns 504 . I am
> not sure if the server is down or something else is wrong.
>
> #+begin_log
> substitute: guix substitute: warning: while fetching
> 'https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org/nix-cache-info': 504 ("Gateway Time-out")
> substitute: guix substitute: warning: ignoring substitute server at
> '"https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org"'
> #+end_log
>
> Thanks,
> Rohit

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Post Installation]: Unable to guix pull
@ 2018-11-04  5:56   ` Alex Vong
From: Alex Vong @ 2018-11-04  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rohit yadav; +Cc: guix-devel

Alex Vong <alexvong1995@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Yes, hydra is currently off-line for maintainence. You can find the
> relevant thread here[0]. It was suggested to use
> 'https://berlin.guixsd.org' as the primary source of substitutes.
>
> For examples, I add the following option to 'guix-daemon.service':
>   --substitute-urls='https://berlin.guixsd.org
> https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org https://hydra.gnu.org'

Oh, I forget to mention that you also have to authorize the
'https://berlin.guixsd.org' server. You can read the "Substitute Server
Authorization" section in the guix manual for instructions.

> Cheers,
> Alex
>
> [0]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2018-11/msg00016.html
>
> rohit yadav <rohityadav@utexas.edu> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> After installing the guix on my ubuntu workstation. I am finding the
>> following error when
>> trying to install guix-locales. Apparently, the
>> https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org returns 504 . I am
>> not sure if the server is down or something else is wrong.
>>
>> #+begin_log
>> substitute: guix substitute: warning: while fetching
>> 'https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org/nix-cache-info': 504 ("Gateway Time-out")
>> substitute: guix substitute: warning: ignoring substitute server at
>> '"https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org"'
>> #+end_log
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rohit

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Post Installation]: Unable to guix pull
@ 2018-11-04  7:10     ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2018-11-04  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Vong; +Cc: guix-devel

For new users I think we ought to authorize and access these servers
by default. I know this was shot down before, but there really is no
reason not to.

When you install guix you implicitely decide to trust its servers. I
know no one who does not want to install the keys.  I.e., everyone
needs the keys installed anyway.

So, why don't they just work and be part of the guix package? It is
one of these areas we could do better with little effort.

Pj.

* New detailed troubleshooting section in the manual
@ 2018-11-04  8:04 ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2018-11-04  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi

I think we need a new section in the manual detailing much of the
repetitious troubleshooting going on here (see example in appendix 2).

I would like give it a stab.

I would like it to contain all errors that has been shared with the list
at least twice.

Help compiling such a list of those would be appreciated (see a start in
appendix 1)

What do you think?

Cheers

Swedebugia

*Appendix 1:*

Guix pull:

  * substitute: guix substitute: warning: while fetching
    'https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org/nix-cache-info': 504 ("Gateway Time-out")
  * warning: downgrade bla bla after binary installation before system
    init/reconfigure

Guix packages:

  * After installing a package it is not found:
      o bash: test-not-found: command not found
      o try locating the bin with: sudo updatedb && locate test-not-found
      o If it found something the package is probably correctly
        installed but you have an incorrect $PATH.

Guix build

  * Source URL not found (404 errors, etc.)

        When looking for a file that Guix is trying to download but which is no
        longer available at the expected URL, I normally just do a web search
        for the file name, in this case "texlive-20170524-extra.tar.xz".  Any
        site will do.  It needn't be a site you trust, because Guix always
        checks the sha256 hash anyway.

        If you "guix download" a file with the right name but the wrong
        contents, it will be successfully added to the store, but with the wrong
        hash string in the file name in /gnu/store, so nothing will ever use it.
        When you attempt to restart the build that failed, it will again try to
        download it, because the file it needs is not in the store.  The bogus
        file will be deleted the next time to run "guix gc".

  *
    Hash mismatch

        sha256 hash mismatch for output path
        '/gnu/store/bjpalrv9f49d2k40p7ga0y6dwdys9w5j-bzip2-1.0.6.tar.gz'
        expected: *****************************************
        actual: *********************************************
        cannot build derivation: ***************************

  * Bad Read-Header-Line header: #<eof>
      o This is really probably a 404. (and a bug in guix for not yet
        handling this correctly and throwing a backtrace instead)
      o Find a working substitute on another substitute server or build
        the package yourself by specifying --fallback.

guix system init

  * parenthesis mismatch error:
      o check your parenthesis
          + nano: guide...
          + emacs: install paredit and do ...
  * module missing
      o add the relevant missing module. If not certain which to add
        either look in the manual or search the source tree in
        http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/ or in a local git
        checkout (run git clone --depth=1
        https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git) with find
  * invalid field specifier
      o often points to the start of the offending s-expression. (this
        is most often happening with service definitions which can be
        hard to get right for newcomers)
          + Start by checking any newly changed fields - did you follow
            the manual correctly?
          + If this does not help try firing up the REPL with
              # $ guile
              # And type (use-modules bla bla
              # Then paste the service definitions one by one
              # If you need more help as on IRC or help-guix.
  * gnu/services.scm:703:40: In procedure service-kind: Wrong type argument:
      o The (services) section (which is a list of service records) of
        your operating-system record is incorrect.
      o See bug #31885 https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31885
  * compiling the world
      o if unable to find substitutes guix will AUTOMATICALLY fall back
        to building from source without asking you for a go-ahead.
      o The only way to avoid this is to minimize the packages specified
        in the config.scm (general advice as it tend to make guix
        init/reconfigure take a long time) and make sure you have access
        to substitutes.

*Appendix 2*

On 2018-11-03 23:51, rohit yadav wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After installing the guix on my ubuntu workstation. I am finding the
> following error when trying to install guix-locales. Apparently, the
> https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org returns 504 . I am not sure if the server
> is down or something else is wrong.
>
> #+begin_log
> substitute: guix substitute: warning: while fetching
> 'https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org/nix-cache-info': 504 ("Gateway Time-out")
> substitute: guix substitute: warning: ignoring substitute server at
> '"https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org"'
> #+end_log

* Re: New detailed troubleshooting section in the manual
@ 2018-11-04 15:28   ` Laura Lazzati
       [not found]     ` <5b7d7e06-d76e-4c35-673c-6392fcbe9291@riseup.net>
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-11-04 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 5:05 AM swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net> wrote:

> [...]
>       - See bug #31885 https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31885
>       - compiling the world
>       - if unable to find substitutes guix will AUTOMATICALLY fall back
>       to building from source without asking you for a go-ahead.
>       - The only way to avoid this is to minimize the packages specified
>       in the config.scm (general advice as it tend to make guix init/reconfigure
>       take a long time) and make sure you have access to substitutes.
>
> *Appendix 2*
> On 2018-11-03 23:51, rohit yadav wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> After installing the guix on my ubuntu workstation. I am finding the
> following error when trying to install guix-locales. Apparently, the
> https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org returns 504 . I am not sure if the server is
> down or something else is wrong.
>
> I also run a VM with Ubuntu desktop 18.04.
Running $guix I always get, i don't know if you want to add this too.
guix
guile: warning: failed to install locale
hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales'
package and defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:

     guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales
     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

guix: missing command name
Try `guix --help' for more information.
I installed the locales suggested. Even without installing them guix works.

Regards,
Laura

* Re: Locale error (Was: Re: New detailed troubleshooting section in the manual)
       [not found]       ` <CAPNLzUN4MLdUF+_LzO3fSEnxxWnE48qn=qv_n0bf+TqXoNZ+_A@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2018-11-04 19:04         ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2018-11-04 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati, guix-devel

Hi

On 2018-11-04 18:54, Laura Lazzati wrote:

>     Did your export
>
>     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale" from somewhere?
>
> I tried to solve it when i first installed guix, but then did not mind
> anymore.
>
>     Could you send me the output of your environment?
>
> paste.debian.net/1050332 <https://paste.debian.net/1050332>
>   and
>
>     $ cat .bash_profile (there should not be any environment variables
>     exported from .bashrc)
>
> I have .profile and .bashrc does not  have exported env variables:
> paste.debian.net/1050331 <https://paste.debian.net/1050331>

According to this your ~.profile was not sourced when you logged in
(GUIX_LOCPATH is not defined in your environment)

This is the cause of you seeing the message.

I suggest you either try fixing this yourself by moving your variables
to .bash_profile or ask on an ubuntu forum or search the net for an
answer how to make ubuntu source your variables correctly.

--
Cheers
Swedebugia

* Re: Locale error (Was: Re: New detailed troubleshooting section in the manual)
@ 2018-11-04 19:14           ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-11-04 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: Guix-devel

> According to this your ~.profile was not sourced when you logged in
> (GUIX_LOCPATH is not defined in your environment)

My mistake, I went back to a previous snapshot and installed inside guix
environment, there I exported the GUIX_LOCPATH running env:
GUIX_LOCPATH=/gnu/store/izyw1295kw5d47m4kv5d9ns4c1l7lz8k-profile/lib/locale

> This is the cause of you seeing the message.
>
> I suggest you either try fixing this yourself by moving your variables to
> .bash_profile or ask on an ubuntu forum or search the net for an answer how
> to make ubuntu source your variables correctly.

I will let you know after rebooting my VM is the problem persists, thank
you.

Regards!
Laura

* Re: [Post Installation]: Unable to guix pull
@ 2018-11-05 14:38       ` rohit yadav
From: rohit yadav @ 2018-11-05 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel

Thanks for the response. When I noticed that hydra.gnu.org was down I used
https://berlin.guixsd.org/ (as mentioned in the substitute page). However,
guix was still building everything from source and not fetching the
binaries. Although I had not validated the key for this website. Could that
be the issue? If so how do I get the key?

Regards,
Rohit

@ 2018-11-06 11:30     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-11-06 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> skribis:

> Running $guix I always get, i don't know if you want to add this too.
> guix
> guile: warning: failed to install locale
> hint: Consider installing the `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales'
> package and defining `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:
>
>      guix package -i glibc-utf8-locales
>      export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"
>
> See the "Application Setup" section in the manual, for more info.

Following these instructions should make the warnings go away,
doesn’t it?

Thanks for your feedback,
Ludo’.

* Re: New detailed troubleshooting section in the manual
@ 2018-11-08 19:52       ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-11-08 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Ludo

Following these instructions should make the warnings go away,
> doesn’t it?

No they don't. I installed the package, exported the path, added it to my
.profile file but the message still appears.
And if I check `env | sort`, even after rebooting or shutting down, the
GUIX_LOCPATH is set.
I also tried installing glibc-locales but the same happens.

Regards!
Laura

* Re: New detailed troubleshooting section in the manual
@ 2018-11-09  6:38         ` alex sassmannshausen
From: alex sassmannshausen @ 2018-11-09  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018, 20:54 Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi Ludo
>
> Following these instructions should make the warnings go away,
>> doesn’t it?
>>
> No they don't. I installed the package, exported the path, added it to my
> .profile file but the message still appears.
> And if I check `env | sort`, even after rebooting or shutting down, the
> GUIX_LOCPATH is set.
> I also tried installing glibc-locales but the same happens.

I may have missed this earlier, but have you tried installing glibc-locales
in the root profile too?

I've found in the past that I needed the full glibc-locales, in root and
user profile. I also needed the path configuration in both. You may need to
restart the deamon after... I don't remember.

If I only did the user install, then the locpath warning message disappears
for the user side, but not for the deamon side.

Hope this is helpful!

Alex

@ 2018-11-10 14:47           ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2018-11-10 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alex.sassmannshausen; +Cc: Guix-devel

It worked :)
Thank you!

Regards!
Laura

* Re: New detailed troubleshooting section in the manual
@ 2018-11-10 21:41             ` alex sassmannshausen
From: alex sassmannshausen @ 2018-11-10 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: guix-devel