unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* collaboration from students of a technical school
@ 2017-07-17 22:27 Quiliro Ordonez Baca
From: Quiliro Ordonez Baca @ 2017-07-17 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I spoke with the director of a technical school (small universtity) that
offers degrees in computer science. He said he could establish collaboration in
free software projects as part of the syllabus for the students. I could ask
them to contribute to Guix.
What tasks should I ask them to do? They
must collaborate between 80, 120 and 800 hours before graduating,
depending on their area of study. There are students of languages
too. Perhaps they can add the descriptions to the packages. Maybe
editorial contributions to the manual or contributing to the
translations.  Descriptions could indeed be translated:
LANG=fr_FR.utf-8 guix package --show=hello

We could also ask them to have a hydra mirror or another server for
Guix.

It would be nice to have a list of TODO tasks...with knowledge
dependencies specified in order to have them done by contributors. I
think that easy tasks are a great way to help motivate people to learn
more in order to contribute with the harder tasks later. Is there a
place where tasks are described?

* Re: collaboration from students of a technical school
@ 2017-07-20 10:24 ` Alex Vong
From: Alex Vong @ 2017-07-20 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Quiliro Ordonez Baca; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

I cannot speak for others on what are most needed in Guix. But here is a
page summurizing project ideas for Google Summer of Code 2017:
<https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2017>

Cheers,
Alex

Quiliro Ordonez Baca <quiliro@riseup.net> writes:

> I spoke with the director of a technical school (small universtity) that
> offers degrees in computer science. He said he could establish collaboration in
> free software projects as part of the syllabus for the students. I could ask
> them to contribute to Guix.
> What tasks should I ask them to do? They
> must collaborate between 80, 120 and 800 hours before graduating,
> depending on their area of study. There are students of languages
> too. Perhaps they can add the descriptions to the packages. Maybe
> editorial contributions to the manual or contributing to the
> translations.  Descriptions could indeed be translated:
> LANG=fr_FR.utf-8 guix package --show=hello
>
> We could also ask them to have a hydra mirror or another server for
> Guix.
>
> It would be nice to have a list of TODO tasks...with knowledge
> dependencies specified in order to have them done by contributors. I
> think that easy tasks are a great way to help motivate people to learn
> more in order to contribute with the harder tasks later. Is there a
> place where tasks are described?

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: collaboration from students of a technical school
@ 2017-07-20 14:59   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-07-20 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Vong; +Cc: Quiliro Ordonez Baca, guix-devel

Hello,

(Sorry for the late reply, Quiliro!)

Alex Vong <alexvong1995@gmail.com> skribis:

> I cannot speak for others on what are most needed in Guix. But here is a
> page summurizing project ideas for Google Summer of Code 2017:
> <https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2017>

Yes, that’s a good start for developers.

For translators, there are pointers on
<https://gnu.org/s/guix/contribute/>.  Basically, translation is handled
by the Translation Project (TP).  On the Guix side we simply grab
updated translations (PO files) when the TP sends them to us.

HTH!

Ludo’.

* Re: collaboration from students of a technical school
@ 2017-07-20 15:26     ` Jelle Licht
From: Jelle Licht @ 2017-07-20 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Quiliro Ordonez Baca, guix-devel

It could also be interesting to have the more software-engineering/devops
focused students
look at improving guix QA process.

They could work on technical solutions for making things more robust, as to
make sure
`master' is broken less often ;-). I have no specific ideas on how to
approach this though.

- Jelle

@ 2017-07-20 23:39   ` Quiliro Ordonez Baca
From: Quiliro Ordonez Baca @ 2017-07-20 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Vong; +Cc: guix-devel

Alex Vong <alexvong1995@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I cannot speak for others on what are most needed in Guix. But here is a
> page summurizing project ideas for Google Summer of Code 2017:
> <https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2017>

Thank you very much, Alex. Will this mean that Google will provide
funding or it is just the task to take into consideration? Of course
that I think that the later is more important. But I just need to know
the considerations about the financing.

* Re: collaboration from students of a technical school
@ 2017-07-22 21:55     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2017-07-22 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Quiliro Ordonez Baca; +Cc: guix-devel

Quiliro Ordonez Baca <quiliro@riseup.net> writes:
> Alex Vong <alexvong1995@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I cannot speak for others on what are most needed in Guix. But here is a
>> page summurizing project ideas for Google Summer of Code 2017:
>> <https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2017>
>
> Thank you very much, Alex. Will this mean that Google will provide
> funding or it is just the task to take into consideration? Of course
> that I think that the later is more important. But I just need to know
> the considerations about the financing.

Google organizes these Summer of Code events every year and GNU has been
accepted as a mentor organization a couple of times in the past.  This
means that GNU can submit project proposals and have students apply for
them.

The number of project slots is limited and not every student is eligible
to participate in the Summer of Code, so I don’t think it is a suitable
path for the school collaboration you envision.

These project ideas were collected for the Summer of Code, but they are
interesting projects that can be worked on outside of this context.
Unfortunately, this means that other funding avenue (if any) would have
to be found.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net

* Re: collaboration from students of a technical school
@ 2017-07-23  8:26     ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-07-23  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Quiliro Ordonez Baca; +Cc: guix-devel

> > Quiliro Ordonez Baca <quiliro@riseup.net> writes:
> >
> >> I spoke with the director of a technical school (small universtity) that
> >> offers degrees in computer science. He said he could establish
> collaboration in
> >> free software projects as part of the syllabus for the students. I
> could ask
> >> them to contribute to Guix.
> >> What tasks should I ask them to do? They
> >> must collaborate between 80, 120 and 800 hours before graduating,
> >> depending on their area of study. There are students of languages
> >> too. Perhaps they can add the descriptions to the packages. Maybe
> >> editorial contributions to the manual or contributing to the
> >> translations.  Descriptions could indeed be translated:
> >> LANG=fr_FR.utf-8 guix package --show=hello
> >>
> >> We could also ask them to have a hydra mirror or another server for
> >> Guix.
> >>
> >> It would be nice to have a list of TODO tasks...with knowledge
> >> dependencies specified in order to have them done by contributors. I
> >> think that easy tasks are a great way to help motivate people to learn
> >> more in order to contribute with the harder tasks later. Is there a
> >> place where tasks are described?
>
> Alex Vong <alexvong1995@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I cannot speak for others on what are most needed in Guix. But here is a
> > page summurizing project ideas for Google Summer of Code 2017:
> > <https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Guix/GSoC-2017>
>
> Thank you very much, Alex. Will this mean that Google will provide
> funding or it is just the task to take into consideration? Of course
> that I think that the later is more important. But I just need to know
> the considerations about the financing.

Apart from the ideas indicated above, I would like to suggest the simple
task of creating new packages and new services.

It's basic but II don't know the skills leve of these students. It might be
a good introduction to Guix, Guile, Scheme

* Re: collaboration from students of a technical school
@ 2017-07-28  0:15 ` Adonay Felipe Nogueira
From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira @ 2017-07-28  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

That's very good news indeed! :)

I don't speak for the GNU Guix project itself, but here goes a
description on how I ended up being a package maker for GNU Guix:

For making package recipes, I mostly use knownledge about Scheme and
basics of build systems (no need to know each of the various build
systems from top to bottom, just the basis such as why they exist, which
steps they require, and where to look for reference/documentation on
each one). The rest of the build systems' particularities are learned
over time.

Of course, there are particularities regarding to how things are placed
by GNU Guix, but this is not that difficult because it only strips
"/usr" from the path and changes references to "/". :)

Another important thing to note however, is that they must be aware
that, despite the name, GitHub and GitLab are *not* the only repository
hosting service providers. There is also GNU Savannah, which *also*
supports providing hosting of Git repositories (this can be configured
per project).

GNU Savannah is the one used by GNU Guix, and also the one which is most
ethical according to
[[https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria-evaluation.html]]. In the
end, what matters is that they know how to work with Git.

Simple commands include: `git clone`, `git pull`, `git add`, `git
commit`, `git format-patch`, `git show`, `git log`, `git diff`, `git
status`. Of course, these are commands sufficient only to get things
going (like contributions and stuff), in this list I have completely
ignored commands that might also be convenient (/e.g./: `git checkout`,
`git reset`, `git describe`, `git tag`, `git fetch`, `git update-ref`,
`git stash`, `git reflog`).

As always, we welcome any question or suggestion, and will probably
discuss these when applicable. :)

--
- [[https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno]]
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com