unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Introducing myself
@ 2019-05-10 21:25 Jakob L. Kreuze
From: Jakob L. Kreuze @ 2019-05-10 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello, guix-devel!

My name is Jakob L. Kreuze, and I was accepted into Google's Summer of
Code program this year to work on "guix deploy," the deployment
automation tool for GuixSD that's been discussed in [1] and [2]. I just
wanted to briefly introduce myself to the list, as you'll likely be
seeing postings from me about "guix deploy" on a regular basis.

Officially, my work doesn't start until the 27th of this month; the next
few days will be spent ensuring that I have a working development
environment and familiarizing myself with both the code and the
development practices of Guix.

I look forward to working with all of you.

Jakob

[1]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-02/msg00145.html
[2]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-03/msg00114.html

* Introducting myself
@ 2019-04-13  8:57 Tanguy Le Carrour
From: Tanguy Le Carrour @ 2019-04-13  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Dear Guix community,

I've been playing with GuixSD for few weeks now. I was looking for
a distribution recommended by the FSF, but was not pleased with Trisquel
or Parabola, so I ended up trying GuixSD. And I have to admit that
I haven't been disappointed! The documentation looks good, the installation
procedure is straight forward… so I decided to take the plunge and to install it
as my main OS on my [Vikings D8][1].

[1]: https://store.vikings.net/ryf-certified-hardware/d8ryf

As much as I was disappointed by `pacman` package manager, I really enjoy
using `guix` and I don't miss `sudo pacman -Sy some-mess` **at all**!!

And, icing on the cake, I read recently that you guys were
interested in the Hurd [3], a project I've been following for years
and even contributed a bit to.

[3]: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-04/msg00007.html

The picture is not all bright however, and things started to get complicated
when I tried to customize the system. I've been using Python as my main language
for more than 10 years and Guile is… something that I still have to get used to!
^_^'

As you might expect, I have a ton of questions! I might even have found
one bug or two that I'll post on the mailing list! And in a while, I hope,
I'll be able to contribute some package definitions. But before I do, I just
wanted to tell you that GuixSD really looks like a great project and that
you guys have done a great job! I hope to be able to play a role in the
future of Guix!

Best regards

--
Tanguy