unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Re: Introducing myself
@ 2019-04-18 20:19       ` Tanguy Le Carrour
From: Tanguy Le Carrour @ 2019-04-18 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel

(I've just realised that there was a typo in the subject… shame on me!
… fixed… unfortunately the Internet never forgets!!)

Le 04/17, Pierre Neidhardt a écrit :
> Tanguy Le Carrour <tanguy@bioneland.org> writes:
> > I'll try to package my favourite tools that
> > are currently missing: ack, fd, fzf, udiskie, poetry, pyenv…
>
> Suggested alternatives:
>
> - ack -> the-silver-searcher (ag)

Thanks! I came across this one some time ago. This might be the
perfect time to evaluate/adopt it!

> - fzf -> Emacs with Ivy or Helm

arg… this is the much feared moment when I have to confess that I'm…
a faithful Vim user! ^_^'

> - udiskie -> See discussion here:
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2018-03/msg00331.html.
>   At some point, we could supersede both udiskie or home-baked scripts
>   with Guix/Shepherd user services.

I'm really happy with my Bspwm [1] setup, even if it comes with absolutely no
removable media management! I used to use `udiskctl`, but I have to
admit that one quickly gets attached to `udiskie`.

[1]: https://github.com/baskerville/bspwm

I guess the real struggle will be replacing dependency management
in my Python projects. But that's a totally different topic!

Regards

--
Tanguy

* Re: Introducing myself
@ 2019-04-18 23:52         ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-04-18 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tanguy Le Carrour; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Tanguy,

I just realized you said you wanted an fzf replacement. I recommend fzy. It’s not quite as full featured as fzf but it gets the job done.

- John

> On Apr 18, 2019, at 1:19 PM, Tanguy Le Carrour <tanguy@bioneland.org> wrote:
>
> (I've just realised that there was a typo in the subject… shame on me!
> … fixed… unfortunately the Internet never forgets!!)
>

> Le 04/17, Pierre Neidhardt a écrit :
>> Tanguy Le Carrour <tanguy@bioneland.org> writes:
>>> I'll try to package my favourite tools that
>>> are currently missing: ack, fd, fzf, udiskie, poetry, pyenv…
>>
>> Suggested alternatives:
>>
>> - ack -> the-silver-searcher (ag)
>
> Thanks! I came across this one some time ago. This might be the
> perfect time to evaluate/adopt it!
>

>> - fzf -> Emacs with Ivy or Helm
>
> arg… this is the much feared moment when I have to confess that I'm…
> a faithful Vim user! ^_^'
>

>> - udiskie -> See discussion here:
>>  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2018-03/msg00331.html.
>>  At some point, we could supersede both udiskie or home-baked scripts
>>  with Guix/Shepherd user services.
>
> I'm really happy with my Bspwm [1] setup, even if it comes with absolutely no
> removable media management! I used to use `udiskctl`, but I have to
> admit that one quickly gets attached to `udiskie`.
>
> [1]: https://github.com/baskerville/bspwm
>

> I guess the real struggle will be replacing dependency management
> in my Python projects. But that's a totally different topic!
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Tanguy

* Re: Introducing myself
@ 2019-04-19 21:21           ` Tanguy Le Carrour
From: Tanguy Le Carrour @ 2019-04-19 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Soo; +Cc: guix-devel

Le 04/18, John Soo a écrit :
> I just realized you said you wanted an fzf replacement. I recommend fzy. It’s not quite as full featured as fzf but it gets the job done.

Thanks for the link! So many tools out there…
But, actually, what I said was "I want to package fzf for Guix". :-)

Fzf has a nice (colorful) UI and integration in Fish [1] is quite nice.
But I guess fzy will do for the time being!

[1]: https://github.com/jethrokuan/fzf

Regards

--
Tanguy

* Introducing myself
@ 2019-05-10 21:25 Jakob L. Kreuze
From: Jakob L. Kreuze @ 2019-05-10 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello, guix-devel!

My name is Jakob L. Kreuze, and I was accepted into Google's Summer of
Code program this year to work on "guix deploy," the deployment
automation tool for GuixSD that's been discussed in [1] and [2]. I just
wanted to briefly introduce myself to the list, as you'll likely be
seeing postings from me about "guix deploy" on a regular basis.

Officially, my work doesn't start until the 27th of this month; the next
few days will be spent ensuring that I have a working development
environment and familiarizing myself with both the code and the
development practices of Guix.

I look forward to working with all of you.

Jakob

[1]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-02/msg00145.html
[2]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-03/msg00114.html

* Re: Introducing myself
@ 2019-05-10 23:03 ` Laura Lazzati
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-05-10 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakob L. Kreuze; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Jakob!

I didn't want to be the first one, but welcome and congratulations :)

I am a former Outreachy intern, and my experience with Guix folks was great,.
I'm sure you will learn and enjoy a lot your internship.

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Introducing myself
@ 2019-05-10 23:54 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2019-05-10 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, Jakob L. Kreuze

Jakob,

Welcome aboard!  I like both parts of your e-mail address already.

Jakob L. Kreuze wrote:
> My name is Jakob L. Kreuze, and I was accepted into Google's
> Summer of
> Code program this year to work on "guix deploy," the deployment
> automation tool for GuixSD that's been discussed in [1] and [2].

That's rad.

Kind regards,

T G-R

> [1]:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-02/msg00145.html
> [2]:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-03/msg00114.html

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Introducing myself
@ 2019-05-11  2:05 ` Timothy Sample
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Timothy Sample @ 2019-05-11  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakob L. Kreuze; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Jakob,

Welcome!

"Jakob L. Kreuze" <zerodaysfordays@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:

> Hello, guix-devel!
>
> My name is Jakob L. Kreuze, and I was accepted into Google's Summer of
> Code program this year to work on "guix deploy," the deployment
> automation tool for GuixSD that's been discussed in [1] and [2]. I just
> wanted to briefly introduce myself to the list, as you'll likely be
> seeing postings from me about "guix deploy" on a regular basis.

Woohoo!  I’m looking forward to it.

> Officially, my work doesn't start until the 27th of this month; the next
> few days will be spent ensuring that I have a working development
> environment and familiarizing myself with both the code and the
> development practices of Guix.
>
> I look forward to working with all of you.

I hope you have loads of fun working on Guix.

-- Tim

* Re: Introducing myself
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-05-11 12:27 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-05-11 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakob L. Kreuze; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Jakob,

"Jakob L. Kreuze" <zerodaysfordays@sdf.lonestar.org> skribis:

> My name is Jakob L. Kreuze, and I was accepted into Google's Summer of
> Code program this year to work on "guix deploy," the deployment
> automation tool for GuixSD that's been discussed in [1] and [2]. I just
> wanted to briefly introduce myself to the list, as you'll likely be
> seeing postings from me about "guix deploy" on a regular basis.

This is great news, welcome!

Chris Webber and Dave Thompson will be your mentors, and I’m sure #guix
and guix-devel will be your home.  :-)

This is an exciting project.  Looking forward to working with you!

Ludo’.

* Re: Introducing myself
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-05-11 19:22 ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-05-11 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakob L. Kreuze; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Jakob,

Welcome!

It is so nice to see this project on the move.

I look forward to working with all of you.

I am also looking forward to working with you.
Currently I am not mentoring, but sometimes I
help out a little here and there to get the administration
run smoothly.

There is already some real interest in this showing up on IRC
by the way :)

Happy hacking!

Jakob

> [1]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-02/msg00145.html
> [2]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-03/msg00114.html

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: Introducing myself
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-05-13 18:55 ` Christopher Lemmer Webber
From: Christopher Lemmer Webber @ 2019-05-13 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Jakob L. Kreuze writes:

> Hello, guix-devel!
>
> My name is Jakob L. Kreuze, and I was accepted into Google's Summer of
> Code program this year to work on "guix deploy," the deployment
> automation tool for GuixSD that's been discussed in [1] and [2]. I just
> wanted to briefly introduce myself to the list, as you'll likely be
> seeing postings from me about "guix deploy" on a regular basis.
>
> Officially, my work doesn't start until the 27th of this month; the next
> few days will be spent ensuring that I have a working development
> environment and familiarizing myself with both the code and the
> development practices of Guix.
>
> I look forward to working with all of you.
>
> Jakob
>
> [1]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-02/msg00145.html
> [2]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-03/msg00114.html

Hi Jakob!  Fancy seeing you here ;)

As said in person today, the vision of "guix deploy" is what originally
got me interested in Guix.  I'm so thrilled you're going to be working
this summer on making that a reality.

Welcome aboard!
 - cwebb